Whitehead not making trip to Kansas State

Barnacle

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he realizes who's in charge and humbles himself to make an apology. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, it is about respecting authority. Of course, that is if all this is true.

Phillip Marshall confirmed it. It is true that he got in a verbal altercation with a coach.

Hope he does the right thing and he gets back on the field quickly. He has been solid and I see him as a good AU Man.

Even the best of Good men make mistakes. Step up. Do the right thing. Move on.

Sounds as if the coaching staff is making it a point that this kind of stuff is not going to be put up with, no matter who it is. As much maligned as JW has been (at least on this board), he's a three year starter who has been playing his best football this season, so perhaps he was simply getting too big a head. Who knows?

In any case, I suspect this will be a make or break point for Jermaine in his football career, as well as a message to the rest of the guys that no one is above the coaches. You see it in the NFL because players' egos are stroked with big contracts, often bigger than the coaches they are playing for, thus making it an entirely different ballgame than college.

On a side note, this is a big part of the reason I think Malzahn would rather stay in the college game: being a coach in the NFL doesn't provide quite the same authority as being a coach in college does.

Even the best of Good men make mistakes. Step up. Do the right thing. Move on.

exactly. we have forgotten worse behavior. I never thought of jw as a nfl talent but i have been under the impression he is a good kid. I think he'll be ok.

Who's gonna be starting then? Roberts for sure? Or will we move Moncrief over there?

I agree with this comment about our seniors. That's really troubling. At the same time that's 3 of them out of how many? Which means 17 or so of them are apparently leading well. Lead on Captains Gabe & Reese! We need you!

I'm thinking we will see a combo of Montcrief and Holsey. No way coaches are gonna throw Roberts out there after 16 college snaps. Just because he's listed as the backup doesn't mean he starts. Ford and Montcrief with Holsey moving back and forth between positions as needed IMO.

If the argument with Coach thing is true that would be really strange coming from someone who seems like an outstanding young man. I could be wrong but I don't buy it. Unless it became physical in some way maybe, but still hard to believe.

He may be a smart young man, but he could have a temper. We don't know the details.

Sounds as if the coaching staff is making it a point that this kind of stuff is not going to be put up with, no matter who it is. As much maligned as JW has been (at least on this board), he's a three year starter who has been playing his best football this season, so perhaps he was simply getting too big a head. Who knows?

In any case, I suspect this will be a make or break point for Jermaine in his football career, as well as a message to the rest of the guys that no one is above the coaches. You see it in the NFL because players' egos are stroked with big contracts, often bigger than the coaches they are playing for, thus making it an entirely different ballgame than college.

On a side note, this is a big part of the reason I think Malzahn would rather stay in the college game: being a coach in the NFL doesn't provide quite the same authority as being a coach in college does.

This is why the midget across the state couldn't hack it in the NFL, couldn't boss everyone around.

Well we lost

The sky certainly is falling....we might as well hop on a Greyhound and ride on back to the Plains....no use wasting the money to spend another night!

LMBO! the wheels done fell off guys we're screwed!

This is why the midget across the state couldn't hack it in the NFL, couldn't boss everyone around.

:laugh:

Agreed. I do think Gus could be successful simply because I don't think there are many crowds in which he would not be the most intelligent from a football standpoint, and thus I believe even the super egos of the NFL would listen to him, but it's a different game at that level, too...one of Gus's greatest strengths, if not his greatest, is the ability to adapt to his personnel. This is a much bigger deal in high school and college, where there is 100% turnover every 4-5 years, as opposed to the NFL, where you can simply buy a player that fits the mold of what you want at a position.

I could see Malzahn leaving for the NFL if he wants a different challenge, but I suspect that desire won't come for at least another 5 years or so (if it does, which, again, I have my doubts), and if he has NFL offers on the table at that point then it will mean he's probably had double digit win totals in most/all of his years as HC on the Plains, and the roster will almost assuredly be stacked from top to bottom, meaning hiring an established winner won't take a whole lot of persuasion.

It's unfortunate for Whitehead. As a senior, if he wants to make it to the next level, he needs to be on the field making plays. So, whatever the reason, it's unfortunate for him.

I'm sure he'll be back. If you played sports and never got in an argument with a coach you're the minority. By the time you reach the college level you should know better but when you're passionate about a sport and in the moment stuff can happen

This is one of the reasons why I don't think he would ever take the Cowboys job. No way Jerry Jones lets him have full control of the team.

So much for 'wefense'. It seems as if it was 'a selfish act' on Whitehead's part. I don't know the details; but he cost the team by making it so that he was prohibited from making the trip. I'm a bit worried that this is symptomatic of something bigger (with him, not with the team).

Happy the coaches are taking a stand on this matter, though. There's no room in CFB for a player to get into verbal altercations with coaches who are trying to make them better.

Archived