Brian Wiliams Caught Lying

Proud Tiger

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Williams now has a credibility problem.

http://www.foxnews.c...-story-apology/

Come on PT. BW only has a cred problem with approximately half of Americans. The other half will gladly give him a pass . No harm no foul.

Nbc Cbs Abc....it's all the same.

Credibility for a news person is pretty important. I doubt he comes out of this unscathed.

I will take that bet Itch. At least with respect to his standing with his network. It will not change.

Looks like Williams now has a credibility problem.

http://www.foxnews.c...-story-apology/

Once you get caught telling a lie, they start checking more.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/11526453-148/nbc-news-anchor-brian-williams

NBC News anchor Brian Williams, who apologized on the air Wednesday night for lying about an experience covering the Iraq War, is now facing scrutiny over his gripping accounts of Hurricane Katrina, the disaster that burnished his nightly news bona fides almost a decade ago.

Williams’ account of seeing a body float by in the French Quarter — which remained largely dry — and even a claim of catching dysentery from drinking Katrina floodwaters have raised eyebrows among bloggers and elsewhere since he took it on the chin this week over a claim that he rode in a helicopter that was downed by a rocket-propelled grenade in Iraq.

“I was instead in a following aircraft. We all landed after the ground fire incident and spent two harrowing nights in a sandstorm in the Iraq desert,” Williams said Wednesday. He painted his earlier description as a “bungled attempt” to thank an Iraq War veteran.

The online feeding frenzy quickly turned to the 55-year-old anchor’s signature assignment: covering Katrina from before it made landfall, when he spent the night of the storm with refuge-seekers in the Superdome and then reported on the harrowing days that followed.

“When you look out of your hotel window in the French Quarter and watch a man float by face down, when you see bodies that you last saw in Banda Aceh, Indonesia, and swore to yourself that you would never see in your country,” Williams said in a 2006 interview.

And last year, in an interview with Tom Brokaw, the man he replaced in the anchor chair at NBC, Williams said:

“My week, two weeks there was not helped by the fact that I accidentally ingested some of the floodwater. I became very sick with dysentery, our hotel was overrun with gangs, I was rescued in the stairwell of a five-star hotel in New Orleans by a young police officer. We are friends to this day. And uh, it just was uh, I look back at total agony.”

But the French Quarter, the original high ground of New Orleans, was not impacted by the floodwaters that overwhelmed the vast majority of the city.

A spokesman for NBC did not immediately respond Thursday to questions about those comments, the hotel to which Williams referred, whether Williams stands by the claims or whether the network is reviewing them.

Williams has described his experiences during Katrina as personally transformative, and he has returned to the city and the topic numerous times since.

“I saw fear, I saw death, I saw depravity, I saw firearms being brandished, I saw looting,” he told the Los Angeles Times a year after Katrina made landfall.

He also recalled the danger of the moment in a 2007 interview on C-SPAN.

“We had to have men with guns behind me one night because I was the only source of light downtown, was the lights that were illuminating the broadcast,” Williams said. “We were told not to drink our bottled water in front of people because we could get killed for it.”

Other accounts have Williams curled up in the fetal position between his on-air reports from a bad bout with dysentery.

A spokeswoman from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said dysentery is not one of the reportable diseases the agency tracks but that contaminated water sources are possible “transmission points” for dysentery.

Dr. Brobson Lutz, a former city health director who manned an EMS trailer that was set up in the 900 block of Dumaine Street, a block from his house in the French Quarter, said he was a fan of Williams but dubious of his claims.

“We were never wet. It was never wet,” he remarked of the conditions in the city’s most historic neighborhood.

As for dysentery, “I saw a lot of people with cuts and bruises and such, but I don’t recall a single, solitary case of gastroenteritis during Katrina or in the whole month afterward,” Lutz said.

As for Williams saying he accidentally drank floodwaters, Lutz added, “I don’t know anybody that’s tried that to see, but my dogs drank it, and they didn’t have any problems.”

Watching fox news yesterday, you would have thought that he had raped five women, kicked 6 puppies, and open hand slapped the pope.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:/>

No. Fox simply stated that he lied. That's it.

Watching fox news yesterday, you would have thought that he had raped five women, kicked 6 puppies, and open hand slapped the pope.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:/>

No. Fox simply stated that he lied. That's it.

I'm sure. After all, Fox is well known for their understated presentation of news events. :-\

I'm sure. After all, Fox is well known for their understated presentation of news events. :-\

Not even sure what that sentence is suppose to mean.

:gofig:

Point is, NBC has a history of LYING, with full intent, to twist a story and sway opinion.

Exploding gas tanks on GM trucks.

Zimmerman 911 call " He looks black " , which has heavily edited to take GZ's comments completely out of context

10+ year old lie , told by NBC's top anchor man.

Anything FOX has done which remotely comes close to these ?

No. I'll save you the trouble of looking.

I means what it says. Fox is a "meme machine".

And I am not defending NBC. I'm a PBS guy. Don't know why everyone isn't.

You're not defending nbc, but you're also not holding them accountable. No, you instead focus on FOX, for some bizarre reason.

You're not defending nbc, but you're also not holding them accountable. No, you instead focus on FOX, for some bizarre reason.

First, it's not my job to "hold NBC accountable". Like I said, I never watch their news.

Secondly, I am not "focusing" on Faux. I am responding to a post discussing Faux's treatment of the story. I don't watch Faux either, but unlike NBC, it's hard to avoid them.

The thread.. the STORY is about Brian Williams lying. YOU don't have any opinion about this , what so ever, huh ? And yet, you feel some sense of obligation to go after FOX, which has exactly ZERO to do w/ the story.

You don't have to watch NBC to have an opinion on their lead anchor getting caught in a decade old lie.

FOX isn't the story here. Neither is how they treat the story. The ISSUE which you're perpetually ignoring is Brian Williams lying.

It's kinda a big deal.

FOX, in the deluded minds of all left wing sycophants, is the basis of all evil in the world. By simply reporting what the other networks refuse, due to their undying allegiance to the current adminstration's agenda, they are propped up as a greater threat to western civilization than ISIS. Point being, whining about FOX is the go to fall back position whenever the truth about the MSM becomes a little too uncomfortable for them.

Brian Williams works for NBC....they KNEW he was lying. They co-signed the lies and thus have no alternative but to forgive him. The funny thing is he lied about his stolen valor then lied in his "apology"...what a SHOCK, right! LOL. If NBC isn't co-sponsoring outright lies to defend Obama they're co-sponsoring lies of omission by not even reporting what the news actually is.

The Lefties like to bang the drum about Obama Derangement Syndrome, when the fact of the matter is, they have FOX derangement syndrome.

:roflol:

The thread.. the STORY is about Brian Williams lying. YOU don't have any opinion about this , what so ever, huh ? And yet, you feel some sense of obligation to go after FOX, which has exactly ZERO to do w/ the story.

You don't have to watch NBC to have an opinion on their lead anchor getting caught in a decade old lie.

FOX isn't the story here. Neither is how they treat the story. The ISSUE which you're perpetually ignoring is Brian Williams lying.

It's kinda a big deal.

First I can comment on any given post in this or any other thread, without having to join the cyber "lynch mob".

And FWIW, I think Williams screwed-the-pooch. But I don't feel any responsibility to be outraged about the fact he shot himself in the foot. I don't watch him. In fact, I wouldn't have known his name from looking at his picture.

I don't watch any "personality-oriented" news. As far as I am concerned, all commercial news is nothing more than news "bites" among a lot of commercials. I'd rather stick with PBS and get a reasoned analysis from all sides.

And I disagree. This is not a "big deal".

FOX, in the deluded minds of all left wing sycophants, is the basis of all evil in the world. By simply reporting what the other networks refuse, due to their undying allegiance to the current adminstration's agenda, they are propped up as a greater threat to western civilization than ISIS. Point being, whining about FOX is the go to fall back position whenever the truth about the MSM becomes a little too uncomfortable for them.

Brian Williams works for NBC....they KNEW he was lying. They co-signed the lies and thus have no alternative but to forgive him. The funny thing is he lied about his stolen valor then lied in his "apology"...what a SHOCK, right! LOL. If NBC isn't co-sponsoring outright lies to defend Obama they're co-sponsoring lies of omission by not even reporting what the news actually is.

Well, it's certainly not surprising that you see everything through a partisan lens. No wonder you are a devotee of Faux News. ;D

And if Faux is not a part of the MSM, who is? You guys are the ones always bragging about their dominate market share.

Oh, I get it. "MSM" is a term used for any media that's not overtly slanted toward the right.

I think it is a big deal. We all like to embellish stories. However, when you are a newscaster, that is not your job. Truth and accuracy are your job. Real news is not entertainment. Sadly, that means real news may no longer have a place on commercial television.

Not even sure what that sentence is suppose to mean.

:gofig:

Point is, NBC has a history of LYING, with full intent, to twist a story and sway opinion.

Exploding gas tanks on GM trucks.

Zimmerman 911 call " He looks black " , which has heavily edited to take GZ's comments completely out of context

10+ year old lie , told by NBC's top anchor man.

Anything FOX has done which remotely comes close to these ?

No. I'll save you the trouble of looking.

Add to that list the libeling of a Richard Jewell, the security guard at the Centennial Olympic Park bombing in 1996. NBC paid Jewell $500,000 for Tom Brokaw's on air statements

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/journalism/j6075/edit/readings/jewell.html

Brokaw was not talking about "the speculation." Instead, he reported that Jewell was "on the short list of suspects." By the next morning, NBC correspondent Pete Williams on the Today Show elevated him to the "top of their list right now." But Katie Couric seemed to backpeddle slightly in her language, saying that some things about Jewell "might fit the profile" of the bomber. That night, Wednesday, Brokaw said that Jewell was "still the central focus." Correspondent Fred Francis suggested that "if the FBI has a case against Richard Jewell, it is moving very, very cautiously after a lot of fanfare." But then Pete Williams, highly regarded for his sources in the FBI and Justice, said that "it was possible that an arrest could come as early as tomorrow."

Brokaw would later say on CBS’ 60 Minutes that he had "very high-ranking federal law enforcement officials in Washington and in Atlanta" who had confirmed the story. He also noted that the report included the qualification: "Please, understand absolutely that he is only the focus of this investigation. He’s not even a suspect yet." This despite the language used in other broadcasts to the contrary.

First I can comment on any given post in this or any other thread, without having to join the cyber "lynch mob".

But you're not commenting on it, what so ever. There is no " lynch mob " , what so ever. Those who know the significance of a network's lead anchor lying , for 10 years about a story which involves him PERSONALLY.

And FWIW, I think Williams screwed the pooch. But I don't feel any responsibility to be outraged about the fact he shot himself in the foot. I don't watch him. In fact, I wouldn't have known his name from looking at his picture.

No one said you should hold any responsibility in being outraged. Where the hell do you even GET this stuff ? It's a valid story. Many are talking about it. If you don't GET it, then kindly don't try to post about it, as you're only making yourself look foolish. I don't watch him or NBC either, but that's irrelevant. I at least know who he is. Apparently, you're such a clueless wonder that you have blinders on.

I don't watch any "personality-oriented" news. As far as I am concerned, all commercial news is nothing more than news "bites" among a lot of commercials. I'd rather stick with PBS and get a reasoned analysis from all sides.

It's NBC. It's widely viewed. YOUR personal viewing tastes aren't the issue here. And NO ONE CARES ! If you can't comprehend the significance of a lead anchor ( ignore the name, ignore the network ) who openly , knowingly lies about such stories, then kindly pass on by. You're really showing yourself to be unable to grasp the issue at hand.

And I disagree. This is not a "big deal".

If you truly believe so, then why bother fighting about it on a damn message board ?? It's a big deal. Many are talking about it. YOU trying to insist that it's not a big deal only shows how disconnected you are from the rest of society.

And btw - Tom Brokaw, another former NBC anchor , had called for Brian to be fired or quit.

So yes, it's kind of a big deal.

All cable and network news serves a purpose to bring in advertising dollars. Shoot, you can't blame fox for their strategic placement. The old guys LOVE it.Fox-Five.jpg

All cable and network news serves a purpose to bring in advertising dollars. Shoot, you can't blame fox for their strategic placement. The old guys LOVE it.Fox-Five.jpg

Dude, this his exactly NOTHING to do w/ Brian Williams lying about being on a helicopter that was shot down over Iraq.

More FOX derangement syndrome on parade.

And btw, The 5 isn't a FOX news program. It's entertainment, and a round table discussion show.

Brian Williams sits behind the anchor desk of NBC News.

Complete and utter fail at trying to sway the conversation.l

( NPR wishes it had babes like FOX does )

Archived