2016 5* DT Derrick Brown (AU Signee 2/3/16)

RunInRed

Couple of CBs for Brown to UTk.

Same guy who had KD to UT... I'll pass. Bleacher Report writer

Yup! The only picks worth paying attention to here are from the AU, UGA, Vols, & Bama 247 reporters.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the Auburn CBs (with the exception of KN), I don't think these guys have any real inside information.

Jake Rowe & Keith have a much better chance at getting inside info then the rest on those picks.

I am REALLY enjoying watching the UGA fans melt with this whole Derrick Brown recruiting deal. Gives me much pleasure.

I would have thought with the almighty defensive guru taking over, Georgia would be his leader. Instead, they're 3rd. How is this possible?

Don't sell Kirby short. He never got the credit because of Saban. He'll be a better recruiter than Richt. We're (AU) caught between two really great recruiters (Saban & Smart), which ain't good at all.

Completely disagree. Jury is still out over whether KS ends up being a good coach, but don't kid yourself, Saban is the real reason Bama keeps getting 5* defensive players. Maybe KS will be an elite coach, but no one knows that at this point. He might flame out like so many other first year coaches have - especially if Eason tanks (you never know, Eason hasn't proven himself yet and wasn't that impressive at the All-American game).

Tinman was only talking about recruiting. He did not say or imply KS would be a good or elite coach...And FTR KS is a damn good recruiter. He has landed 9 5*s in his career. You don't do that if you are not good no matter who the HC is. The assistants are the ones that develop the closest relationships on the trail.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Kirby-Smart-264/AllTimeRecruits

Disagree. I will take competing against KS any day over competing against Richt, and we did pretty well against Richt when he was at UGA.

KD?

Kyle Davis.

Only reason I used Kyle as an example is because everyone knew he was AU bound and it was honestly crazy to think he'd ever go to UTk. It was always AU or UGA for him.

I am REALLY enjoying watching the UGA fans melt with this whole Derrick Brown recruiting deal. Gives me much pleasure.

I would have thought with the almighty defensive guru taking over, Georgia would be his leader. Instead, they're 3rd. How is this possible?

Don't sell Kirby short. He never got the credit because of Saban. He'll be a better recruiter than Richt. We're (AU) caught between two really great recruiters (Saban & Smart), which ain't good at all.

Completely disagree. Jury is still out over whether KS ends up being a good coach, but don't kid yourself, Saban is the real reason Bama keeps getting 5* defensive players. Maybe KS will be an elite coach, but no one knows that at this point. He might flame out like so many other first year coaches have - especially if Eason tanks (you never know, Eason hasn't proven himself yet and wasn't that impressive at the All-American game).

Tinman was only talking about recruiting. He did not say or imply KS would be a good or elite coach...And FTR KS is a damn good recruiter. He has landed 9 5*s in his career. You don't do that if you are not good no matter who the HC is. The assistants are the ones that develop the closest relationships on the trail.

http://247sports.com...AllTimeRecruits

Disagree. I will take competing against KS any day over competing against Richt, and we did pretty well against Richt when he was at UGA.

Time will tell on the field but again, KS has proven he is tough as a recruiter & that was the subject tinman & I were specifically talking about.

Time will tell on the field but again, KS has proven he is tough as a recruiter & that was the subject tinman & I were specifically talking about.

I think my writing is confusing you. I was specifically talking about recruiting - not actually winning the games on the field. I am more than happy to compete on the recruiting trail against KS, as opposed to Richt.

Edit: let me elaborate a little. Richt had the God factor, meaning he was/is a really Godly man who lived/lives his life in a noble manner. A lot of recruits really bought into that (for good reason) and were loyal to him. The only thing I have seen of KS is that he seems a little clumsy and awkward when he is on the recruiting trail, and maybe even a little odd, but ultimately time will tell how well he does. I am not saying he isn't a good recruiter, I am just saying that now is when we will really find out with him leading the charge at UGA.

I think my writing is confusing you. I was specifically talking about recruiting - not actually winning the games on the field. I am more than happy to compete on the recruiting trail against KS, as opposed to Richt.

You are welcome to your opinion but the evidence points to the contrary.

There is no evidence with KS being a head coach, that has been my point all along. Curious, how good of a recruiter is Trooper Taylor now that he is with Arky State? From what I remember, he was one of the top recruiters when he was at Auburn. My point - changing programs can drastically change how good of a recruiter one is.

There is no evidence with KS being a head coach, that has been my point all along. Curious, how good of a recruiter is Trooper Taylor now that he is with Arky State? From what I remember, he was one of the top recruiters when he was at Auburn. My point - changing programs can drastically change how good of a recruiter one is.

Agreed. Something I'm paying close attention to with Kevin Steele.

Good lord. If he does better than Richt I'll be surprised. Not going to bestow anything on him until he proves it as a HC. I do see how him being an alum can help with in state recruits.

Did you even look at that link I posted of his all time commitments? Him being a head coach has nothing to do w/ it. He has proved as an assistant he is one of the best recruiters in the country. There is absolutely no empirical reason to think that will not continue now that he is a HC....Personally I think he will be like Richt, recruit very well but come up short on game day.

And Troop is still a good recruiter. Him being @ Arky St does not change that. He does not have the realistic targets available to him @ Arky St. as he did @ AU & UTk. Smart will have the same target pool he had, plus he is the HC is 1 of the big 4 states for high school talent.

Did you even look at that link I posted of his all time commitments? Him being a head coach has nothing to do w/ it. He has proved as an assistant he is one of the best recruiters in the country. There is absolutely no empirical reason to think that will not continue now that he is a HC....Personally I think he will be like Richt, recruit very well but come up short on game day.

And Troop is still a good recruiter. Him being @ Arky St does not change that. He does not have the realistic targets available to him @ Arky St. as he did @ AU & UTk. Smart will have the same target pool he had, plus he is the HC is 1 of the big 4 states for high school talent.

We keep going around and around, but I will say one last thing then you can have the final word. KS coached under very possibly the best college football coach of all time - makes recruiting a much easier task when that's the case.

We keep going around and around, but I will say one last thing then you can have the final word. KS coached under very possibly the best college football coach of all time - makes recruiting a much easier task when that's the case.

I don't disagree w/ that at all but at the same time it's comical to sell KS short as a recruiter. He is the one that spent the 2 to 3 years developing a relationship w/ all the kids he landed. If KS was not at Bama through all that time it's highly likely Bama doesn't get some, even if it's just a small portion, of the kids he reeled in for them.

I don't disagree w/ that at all but at the same time it's comical to sell KS short as a recruiter. He is the one that spent the 2 to 3 years developing a relationship w/ all the kids he landed. If KS was not at Bama through all that time it's highly likely Bama doesn't get some, even if it's just a small portion, of the kids he reeled in for them.

Good debate. I actually enjoy debating these issues - one of the reasons I love this site so much.

You pretty much summed up my point. It's baffling that home-state Georgia is 3rd with Smart now recruiting.

If he struggles as a HC his recruiting could suffer, also he is selling a different HC now. It's not crazy to think his recruiting could be affected. He should do fine, just saying.

Good lord. If he does better than Richt I'll be surprised. Not going to bestow anything on him until he proves it as a HC. I do see how him being an alum can help with in state recruits.

I think KS is a long way from being the recruiter that Richt was at UG. Maybe in time he can be. But it is going to take years to do this if he survives as a HC. I am not yet sure if Kirby will have the results that Richt had on the field as a HC. It seems he would with what bammer did, but the reality is that he has to prove it, and it will take more than 2 or 3 years. If he is 26-12 at the end of 3 years, the seat will start warming up considerably.

E, He may be a fine recruiter, but I can easily argue that 5 Star recruits are easier to recruit to Bama than other schools because of Nick Saban being their HC.

E, He may be a fine recruiter, but I can easily argue that 5 Star recruits are easier to recruit to Bama than other schools because of Nick Saban being their HC.

And their other fringe benefits... cars, rims, suits, loans, etc.

It may hurt if UGA doesn't have a free car program like the last place he recruited for.

Things that always puzzled me (and gets me flamed by both sides)....

Always wondered why any 5 star player would go to one school to play for free when he could get a free car or $$$$$ to play at another...

Just like I always wondered why any 5 star guy would go somewhere else when one school was paying $200k per player...

Just like I always wondered if nobody else was paying players, why would one START the bidding at $200k?

It may hurt if UGA doesn't have a free car program like the last place he recruited for.

Things that always puzzled me (and gets me flamed by both sides)....

Always wondered why any 5 star player would go to one school to play for free when he could get a free car or $$$$$ to play at another...

Just like I always wondered why any 5 star guy would go somewhere else when one school was paying $200k per player...

Just like I always wondered if nobody else was paying players, why would one START the bidding at $200k?

Some players have a moral compass and don't want to cheat. Some may not be so against cheating, but know if they get caught it could seriously derail their career. Going rate for cheating isn't set by competition, it's set by how much the agent (parent, guardian, whoever they are) decides to demand for their kid's services. They whole $200k payout thing is pretty rare, what isn't rare is little handouts here and there, and in the case of bama cars, suits, rims, etc.

I can tell you this, if I was a 5-star player when I was in college, I know that no amount could make it worth it to me to have to deal with Saban's attitude and living in Tuscaloosa for 3-4 years. I'd have faith that my talent would bring the $$$ after those 3-4 years and I'd go someplace nice with a coach who wasn't an a$$.

$200k happens when a super shady alum is hanging around his alma mater and he sees an opportunity. Except it doesn't actually happen, he just tries to make it happen. And then it somehow becomes another school's problem and the dad who made the mistake of listening to what Shady McSketcherton had to say is publicly vilified every time his extremely famous and successful son's name is mentioned for the rest of his life.

Sorry. I'm clearly not over it.

I don't think Derrick Brown's signature will be purchased.

Archived