Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I might've posted this before, not sure. And it's a cover. And some folks don't want to hear anyone try to sing Stevie Nicks songs except Stevie Nicks.

But I feel like this is a pretty good cover of a really great song by some really talented folks. And maybe @augolf1716 won't mind the scenery. 

This requires no apologies. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I enjoyed Cee Lo more when I saw Gnarls Barkley and then again singing the national anthem at a soccer game, but he settles into the chorus here even if the verses are a little... different. D Hall still got it for sure. And, damn, what a groove.

Seeing that reminded me of another performance with Daryl Hall.

It's a country cover of Sara Smile by Jimmy Wayne. It's a shame how underrated Jimmy Wayne is. He had a few of hits in the 2000's but hasn't released a new album since 2009. But this cover was awesome:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

yep and proud of it.........been called worst but we want go there:poke:

I try to be less obvious with my perversions. Maybe when I get your age I won’t give a damn. But to the original question, yes both singer/hottie and the burly guitar player singing all got my attention. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Excellent voice, integral part of the Buckingham Nicks and (later) Fleetwood Mac, and always a provider of scenery.

*fans face with hand*

Super normal for a guy to run a talk box through a 5-string bass, right? Especially when there are 2 basses in the band?

Seems like a fun party band. They'll be playing a beach bar on the south end of the island tomorrow night. I probably won't go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

A little bit Little Feat, a little bit Atlanta Rhythm Section... loving it, despite the fact that any problems I experience today could potentially be traced back to the bottle of wine I drank last night. In my defense, we were at a symphony event where- out of 1,000 or so people, we had to be the youngest by 20 years, and one of the suggested topics from the crowd during the audience participation part of the program was- I shite you not- "hip replacements".

/digression

Very enjoyable tune.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

A little bit Little Feat, a little bit Atlanta Rhythm Section... loving it, despite the fact that any problems I experience today could potentially be traced back to the bottle of wine I drank last night. In my defense, we were at a symphony event where- out of 1,000 or so people, we had to be the youngest by 20 years, and one of the suggested topics from the crowd during the audience participation part of the program was- I shite you not- "hip replacements".

/digression

Very enjoyable tune.

t'sOK

Some of us geezers are fine with use of pianos or flutes when others might feel that only harpsichords or recorders would constitute an Historically Informed Performance.

ETA - What'cha listen to?

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

t'sOK

Some of us geezers are fine with use of pianos or flutes when others might feel that only harpsichords or recorders would constitute an Historically Informed Performance.

ETA - What'cha listen to?

Well played as usual, sir.

The theme was "All That Jazz". A Duke Ellington medley, a West Side Story medley, stuff of that nature. Highlights included a nice little blues jam by a quartet consisting of the drummer (they had a guy behind a full kit holding it down for the whole orchestra all night; remarkably solid player), piano, bass and sax... a New Orleans jazz version of "Over There" that actually worked (I mean, you get that drum beat with that tuba bouncing up and down and anything will sound real cool real quick)... and several songs with this young lady:

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

More on that young lady and the replacements of hips...

So she does a thing where she asks for words from the audience, and then takes those words and "writes a poem" (fits them into a standard blues template) over the course of one number, and then she sings it. Pretty neat trick. Well, the themes from this audience living on Hilton Head Island were beach, Texas (because it had been mentioned a few times that she hails from Texas), dolphins, traffic, high tide and hip replacements. That she managed to create something interesting from that made me her new #1 fan. 

Edited by McLoofus

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well played as usual, sir.

The theme was "All That Jazz". A Duke Ellington medley, a West Side Story medley, stuff of that nature. Highlights included a nice little blues jam by a quartet consisting of the drummer (they had a guy behind a full kit holding it down for the whole orchestra all night; remarkably solid player), piano, bass and sax... a New Orleans jazz version of "Over There" that actually worked (I mean, you get that drum beat with that tuba bouncing up and down and anything will sound real cool real quick)... and several songs with this young lady:

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

More on that young lady and the replacements of hips...

So she does a thing where she asks for words from the audience, and then takes those words and "writes a poem" (fits them into a standard blues template) over the course of one number, and then she sings it. Pretty neat trick. Well, the themes from this audience living on Hilton Head Island were beach, Texas (because it had been mentioned a few times that she hails from Texas), dolphins, traffic, high tide and hip replacements. That she managed to create something interesting from that made me her new #1 fan. 

Sounds cool, and

Ms. Mayfield's got skills.

• Like 1

acoustic version of a rocked out song. I like it better now. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, alexava said:

acoustic version of a rocked out song. I like it better now. 

Man, this is WAY better than the album version. I love the power chords at the beginning and end, but in between it just doesn't work for me. I get the psychological onomatopoeia of it or whatever- the song's called 'Anxiety', after all- but I don't enjoy listening to it.

This version, though. Man. Awesome. Nice find. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man, this is WAY better than the album version. I love the power chords at the beginning and end, but in between it just doesn't work for me. I get the psychological onomatopoeia of it or whatever- the song's called 'Anxiety', after all- but I don't enjoy listening to it.

This version, though. Man. Awesome. Nice find. 

on·o·mat·o·poe·ia
ˌänəˌmadəˈpēə,ˌänəˌmädəˈpēə/
noun
  1. the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle ).
    • the use of onomatopoeia for rhetorical effect.

Just saving time for any others whose database did not contain such a word.
      I do like both versions of the song. He opened with it in Huntsville last fall. Everything is better live.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, alexava said:
on·o·mat·o·poe·ia
ˌänəˌmadəˈpēə,ˌänəˌmädəˈpēə/
noun
  1. the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle ).
    • the use of onomatopoeia for rhetorical effect.

Just saving time for any others whose database did not contain such a word.
      I do like both versions of the song. He opened with it in Huntsville last fall. Everything is better live.

Preach. Will be interesting to see if he plays it next weekend. 

Amanda is gigging in Atlanta that night, so she won't be there :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Preach. Will be interesting to see if he plays it next weekend. 

Amanda is gigging in Atlanta that night, so she won't be there :(

Where you seeing him next week?

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Damn'

Hadn't told us Ms. Giddens was in the lineup.

She won't be on the day that we're there. This is a multi-event festival similar (perhaps?) to Spoleto or Jazzfest. 

There is a large billboard on my commute showing a photo of her and getting to say hello to her at the end of a long workday is a half of a pillow mint that I am glad for. 

• Thanks 1