Early list of candidates for the Baylor job.

Baylor needs the most squeaky clean guy they can find - in reality and how he's perceived by the national media. And Chizik is not that guy. Fair or not his image is tainted in the eyes of everyone outside of Auburn. I just think BU will go with a guy that will give them the best PR spin opportunity as possible.

Nation media perception does not matter. They need the guy that can recruit the best while treating people right so the talent does not drop to the levels they were before Briles.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baylor needs the most squeaky clean guy they can find - in reality and how he's perceived by the national media. And Chizik is not that guy. Fair or not his image is tainted in the eyes of everyone outside of Auburn. I just think BU will go with a guy that will give them the best PR spin opportunity as possible.

1. anybody that hires a coach based on perception from the national media needs to re-evaluate their hiring criteria. 2. what the national media thinks of somebody is completely irrelevant. 3. Chizik's image isn't the least bit tainted from anything that happened at Auburn except maybe his final year when everything fell apart. 4. Chizik is still a great coach (particularly as a defensive coordinator) and has always done things the right way. 5. Who are these people that think Chizik's image is tainted? I trust you've talked to everybody outside of Auburn to make such a broad, all encompassing statement.

I know this is the FB forum because Lashlee's name is laughably on this irrelevant list put together by a guy who doesn't write much in the way of CFB articles, but it's really a rivals thing.

They should hire CDC

Just no. I love CDC but he has not even been a full fledged OC yet. Let him do that before being a HC.

Nation media perception does not matter. They need the guy that can recruit the best while treating people right so the talent does not drop to the levels they were before Briles.

'

I guess that might be true if all Baylor is concerned about is becoming a major football factory . On the other hand, Baylor alums who care for the reputation of the school.... they may have a different view about how their football program proceeds from here. I hate to see a school sacrifice its reputation on the altar of football success .

Just my view but we will learn a lot about how they want to be perceived in the next month or so. It is hard for me to believe that schools trustees would take the kind of action they did and then crawl back into the mud with so many other schools who wInk at what their school is supposed to stand for.

...2. what the national media thinks of somebody is completely irrelevant. 3. Chizik's image isn't the least bit tainted from anything that happened at Auburn except maybe his final year when everything fell apart....5. Who are these people that think Chizik's image is tainted? I trust you've talked to everybody outside of Auburn to make such a broad, all encompassing statement.

2e01ee9d1ad2b81a2fd43a575d974c069ae18a509067eb33222dfe9e143ced0e.jpg

I really like Tom Herman. I kind of hope that he doesn't get a great job until we figure out how this year's Gus Bus is gonna run. I think he would fit in really well here.

Fly him out for the interview.

Check with David Housel he may be able to set up an interview on the QT..

For all those taking shots at the (perceived) Baylor - Baptist hypocrisy...there's your answer. Pretty much showing they couldn't care less if they become college football irrelevant.

For all those taking shots at the (perceived) Baylor - Baptist hypocrisy...there's your answer. Pretty much showing they couldn't care less if they become college football irrelevant.

I don't think Jim Grobe is exactly chopped liver. He was moderately successful at a school that's almost never been successful in football. It's not like they hired the coach from some jr. college in Kansas. I think he's a reasonable choice, probably the best they could do under the daunting circumstances at Baylor.

The up and comers of the coaching world probably weren't returning their calls.

Grobe is a perfect fit for this situation and matches what I was suggesting they should (and apparently did) go for during this mess.

Grobe is a perfect fit for this situation and matches what I was suggesting they should (and apparently did) go for during this mess.

Agree....the Baylor "management" showed some integrity in my view by hiring a class guy with experience at a Baptist oriented university.

Among other things, trying to let people know that they recognize that some things are more important than football at Baylor.

1. anybody that hires a coach based on perception from the national media needs to re-evaluate their hiring criteria. 2. what the national media thinks of somebody is completely irrelevant. 3. Chizik's image isn't the least bit tainted from anything that happened at Auburn except maybe his final year when everything fell apart. 4. Chizik is still a great coach (particularly as a defensive coordinator) and has always done things the right way. 5. Who are these people that think Chizik's image is tainted? I trust you've talked to everybody outside of Auburn to make such a broad, all encompassing statement.

I agree with your point #1 and that's about it. I wasn't saying they need to hire someone solely because of the perception of how classy they are. But Baylor needed a PR win in the worst way, and they actually got a classy guy in Grobe -- and his coaching is not someone you would go after if you're trying to maintain an elite level program.

I don't really need to go further than saying I disagree with the rest of your post but all you need to do is ask any football fan outside of AU about Chizik or even AU's perception (partly due to Chizik) and the words "dirty", "cheater", etc come up. Maybe your experiences don't match mine but all you have to do is visit some other message boards or comment sections to see it.

Well, for certain Chiz is not popular on Georgia, South Carolina or bama boards....but what would you expect ? You have to consider the sources.

That's like looking at an Auburn or Tennessee board expecting to see complimentary comments about Nick Saban.

Get a few hundred miles away from Auburn and nobody is worried about Chiz or Cam except the trolls who never forget a loss.

Sure, but there was all kinds of smoke surrounding Chiz that media was throwing all over the place...the pay for play, the grade changing, the spice smoking, the failed drug tests non-suspensions, the armed robbery etc etc. All it takes is the allegation for the reputation to be tarnished. I prefaced it with "fair or not" so I'm not giving my opinion but sharing how I personally feel he's perceived as a HC

I agree with your point #1 and that's about it. I wasn't saying they need to hire someone solely because of the perception of how classy they are. But Baylor needed a PR win in the worst way, and they actually got a classy guy in Grobe -- and his coaching is not someone you would go after if you're trying to maintain an elite level program.

I don't really need to go further than saying I disagree with the rest of your post but all you need to do is ask any football fan outside of AU about Chizik or even AU's perception (partly due to Chizik) and the words "dirty", "cheater", etc come up. Maybe your experiences don't match mine but all you have to do is visit some other message boards or comment sections to see it.

Tiger, I hear what you're saying.

No matter what some of these other folks say, there are plenty of people around the country who lump Chizik, Cam, Trooper Taylor, Auburn and cheating together. A lot of those people are in real football circles, not just on rival message boards. Even worse, Chizik oversaw the complete implosion of the program. 3-9 and multiple blowout losses 2 years removed from a national championship... that's his real legacy, and those inclined to suspect that 2010 was dirty will only have those suspicions reinforced by the post-Cam decline.

As for Chizik still being "a great coach (particularly as a defensive coordinator)"... LOL. Dude was a "great" head coach for one year when he just so happened to have Football Jesus under center. Other than that, he's mostly been awful as a head coach. And I'm pretty sure we're talking about head coaches.

And it's incredibly naive to think that Baylor's not concerned with media perception right now. This goes beyond football. This kind of thing will damage enrollment, donations, the entire business of the university. PR absolutely matters.

Tiger might've been wrong to say "everybody outside of Auburn", but his post was otherwise spot on. If y'all think that Chizik is a good enough coaching candidate for a school in Baylor's position to ignore the smoke from 2010, then I know where all that smoke was really coming from that year, and I'm sad that you didn't share.

McLoo....dead right on the Chiz thing....especially in Baylor's situation...would be a perfect opportunity to dust of the old history. Some folks seem to put football success above the reputation of the university and suggest that schools should ignore outside criticism, as if it weren't important, when making an athletic hire.

I expect Baylor has its version of the Auburn Creed ....and this was a good time for the administration and Trustees to dust it off and read it....and see if it still applies to the school. Seems to me they decided....."yes".

You're right, Mcloofus and WarTiger. My "everybody" statement was too broad. I didn't mean for it to read so absolute. But I think Chiz hit his ceiling as a top DC but being here in North Carolina I got a close view of his hiring at UNC. Larry Fedora had to address, to the media, all the bruises on Chizik's reputation upon hiring him. You don't have to go out of your way to tell the sports news outlets "we looked into his past" and say they were comfortable hiring him if there's nothing to have to re-assure the fan base/public about. JMO

You're right, Mcloofus and WarTiger. My "everybody" statement was too broad. I didn't mean for it to read so absolute. But I think Chiz hit his ceiling as a top DC but being here in North Carolina I got a close view of his hiring at UNC. Larry Fedora had to address, to the media, all the bruises on Chizik's reputation upon hiring him. You don't have to go out of your way to tell the sports news outlets "we looked into his past" and say they were comfortable hiring him if there's nothing to have to re-assure the fan base/public about. JMO

Completely agree.

What is the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist? The Catholic will say hello in the liquor store. :bananadance:

What is the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist? The Catholic will say hello in the liquor store. :bananadance:/>

My grandmother has the same saying but Methodist instead of Catholic ?

Archived