Early list of candidates for the Baylor job.

We could swap Lashlee for Art Briles as our new OC.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doc, have you read anything about why Briles will be terminated? There is no way that Auburn will hire him for any position.

Doc, have you read anything about why Briles will be terminated? There is no way that Auburn will hire him for any position.

And even if a team wants him I would be shocked if the NCAA did not put a show cause before he could be hired.

LOL it's easier to win at UF than anywhere else in the conference essentially and CWM couldn't cut it even though the SEC East has been terrible lately. Why people, and South Carolina for that matter, are so high on CWM as a HC I just don't see it. Hiring Muschamp would basically be like the Chizik hire all over again. Losing track record as HC, but top of the line DC.

Muschamp didn't have complete control of his OC hires, if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that his defenses were rock solid all the way through. He also left the program in good condition, other than being short on OLs. Not saying he did a great job, but a program like USC could do worse.

Edit: Meant to add that USC clearly thought they could do a lot better, but they didn't.

And even if a team wants him I would be shocked if the NCAA did not put a show cause before he could be hired.

Can they do that without conducting their own investigation?

Ask Penn State

The times are changing. I expect the NCAA and most schools much more careful about coaches to bring any kind of baggage with them.

Just my opinion but any school that thought to hire Briles would do well to go ahead and rent an office for the NCAA field rep to move on to their campus.

IMO Tom Herman would have to be Baylor's first choice. Babers would be my #2 pick for their style.

IMO Tom Herman would have to be Baylor's first choice. Babers would be my #2 pick for their style.

Yup, TH would be a real homerun … Especially on the current conditions . But, I can't see a guy like him taking the program that is going to have some serious recruiting issues for a while.

Can I be the one to start the DC back to AU as the OC rumors if RL takes the job?

No. It would take a new HC for that to happen. Gus & CDC will not be working together again anytime soon.

lol so true

Herman is sitting pretty awaiting either the Texas or A&M job to open up.

Yep...has a chance to become the highest paid HC in college football ....all he needs is another good year at U of H ...and then sit back and lets things play out.

Herman would be crazy to step into that train wreck. Baylor isn't going to be an attractive job. It's going to be a long process for them, both the university and the program.

Can I be the one to start the DC back to AU as the OC rumors if RL takes the job?

No, because DC is in no way qualified to be the OC in Gus's offense. He'd be better at LSWho or bammer, in an offense he's had plenty of experience with.

wow perception changed for baylor pretty quick. seemed like folks thought they were just all american kids with rg3 and now look. and if art is quilty of things i bet he still lands another decent paying job. and i am not sure that i agree with that.

Briles will likely have a show cause penalty handed to him. I doubt an NFL team would touch him right now. It's a different world now.

It would be a big mistake for Baylor and Rhett if Baylor hired him for their next HC. Above all, Baylor needs a coach that can change the existing culture to get them through the mess they've created. RL doesn't have that ability as he is just too inexperienced in terms of having a lot of meaningful coaching experience. Rhett has been tutored under the same type of coaching background as Art Briles, not good.

Chizik ought to be on their list. He learned a lot at Auburn, has been a success at NC, could be a lot better next time around as a HC. Maybe.

Houston Nutt is still looking for a job. He still wants to coach. He's still complaining that, 5 years after being unfairly tanked, he's still unemployed. Dang -- if the NCAA had not just pinned the ACT grade fixing at Ole Mi$$ on two of his assistants. Poor Nutt. Sad Nutt.

Chizik ought to be on their list. He learned a lot at Auburn, has been a success at NC, could be a lot better next time around as a HC. Maybe.

Houston Nutt is still looking for a job. He still wants to coach. He's still complaining that, 5 years after being unfairly tanked, he's still unemployed. Dang -- if the NCAA had not just pinned the ACT grade fixing at Ole Mi$$ on two of his assistants. Poor Nutt. Sad Nutt.

Ambition is hard to quantify so you never know.....but seems unlikely to me that Baylor could hire a coach who is currently running a successful program at the Power 5...or maybe anywhere in the Div 1 level.

There are good coaching openings every year and therefore no need for a quality coach to step into something like that unless he is just desperate to make it to the next level.

A year or two ago everyone thought Baylor had one of the best ADs in Div 1....money all over the place, new stadium, all the sports nationally competitive....and now he's on probation, the school's reputation is besmirched by the athletic program.....and the NCAA is probably just getting started on them. How quickly things can change.

Lashlee makes more sense than any of those others. 2013 will mark the 4th or 5th year he's been Malzahn. Rhett is gonna have test his wings at some point to see if he can fly on his own. Besides, in 2013, hardly anyone could stop the hurry offense. If they can get the right players like JF-III to learn their style, Auburn could have another really good year. Rhett might want to make some calls.

Baylor needs the most squeaky clean guy they can find - in reality and how he's perceived by the national media. And Chizik is not that guy. Fair or not his image is tainted in the eyes of everyone outside of Auburn. I just think BU will go with a guy that will give them the best PR spin opportunity as possible.

Ambition is hard to quantify so you never know.....but seems unlikely to me that Baylor could hire a coach who is currently running a successful program at the Power 5...or maybe anywhere in the Div 1 level.

There are good coaching openings every year and therefore no need for a quality coach to step into something like that unless he is just desperate to make it to the next level.

A year or two ago everyone thought Baylor had one of the best ADs in Div 1....money all over the place, new stadium, all the sports nationally competitive....and now he's on probation, the school's reputation is besmirched by the athletic program.....and the NCAA is probably just getting started on them. How quickly things can change.

So true, who could have imagined that all this was going on in the background. It makes one wonder how many other schools have some ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Archived