Beating Clemson

tigerbrotha12

How many times did he go for it on 4th down in that game?

Good point.

They were 5-6 on 4th in that game.

Sometimes you use your offense to protect your defense......which he certainly did. I recall a USCe game vs AU where AU kept the ball the entire 3rd quarter, ran 4th down plays and on sides kicked after a score....all to keep the Cocks offense off the field,,,,and managed to beat a ranked USCe team in Columbia.

Also I do recall that not so long ago TAMU pulled the same stuff on the Cocks....offense drove them nuts and USCe defense could not get off the field. Perhaps the real issue is knowing what a team's weakness is and making a point of exploiting it...even at some risk.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times did he go for it on 4th down in that game?

Good point.

They were 5-6 on 4th in that game.

Sometimes you use your offense to protect your defense......which he certainly did. I recall a USCe game vs AU where AU kept the ball the entire 3rd quarter, ran 4th down plays and on sides kicked after a score....all to keep the Cocks offense off the field,,,,and managed to beat a ranked USCe team in Columbia.

Also I do recall that not so long ago TAMU pulled the same stuff on the Cocks....offense drove them nuts and USCe defense could not get off the field. Perhaps the real issue is knowing what a team's weakness is and making a point of exploiting it...even at some risk.

I was at that AU/USCe game. We were #2 in the country and they were actually unranked. I remember this specifically because USCe fans around me were saying "our unranked team almost beat the #2 team in the country and they had to use a surprise onsides kick to do it". SCarolina's stadium might not be the biggest, but that place can get very loud.

I was at that AU/USCe game. We were #2 in the country and they were actually unranked. I remember this specifically because USCe fans around me were saying "our unranked team almost beat the #2 team in the country and they had to use a surprise onsides kick to do it". SCarolina's stadium might not be the biggest, but that place can get very loud.

Ironically, the next week we lost to a Gus Malzhan lead Arkansas.

I think we Can win, but probably won't. I think we can give Clemson all they can handle if we catch an early break or two. Remember that even in that terrible 2012 year we played them pretty well in the first game at the Ga Dome. 1st games are notorious for sloppy play and coaches not really knowing what kind of performance they are going to get.

My opinion, I think we make a nice run because of the home crowd and our defense makes things interesting, but in the end, the bad guys are a little more explosive offensively than we can handle. Clemson by 6.

I am both optimistic and realist...so there! Wde!

My thoughts are very similar. I hope we win, but looking at the game on paper, it seems more likely that we don't. They have way too many explosive weapons returning on offense.

I am hoping for a very pleasant surprise on Sept. 3.

..."and David took a stone and flung it"...

Ugh Marcus Monk was like 9 feet tall that day lol

I understand the expectation to win every game for the sake of having a winning mentality, but I'm not going to show a program less respect just because of the name of their school. If they have good coaches and good players, then I'm going to treat them like they have good coaches and players.

If Urban Meyer left Ohio State, and they went on a steady decline for 5 years, couldn't recruit like they have, didn't have a good coach, etc. I wouldn't show them the same respect that I would today just because they are Ohio State... So, I'm not going to give Clemson less respect just because they are Clemson.

I think that is what the likes of Cole, Tiger, etc is trying to get at. Thank you.

And the funny thing is, that type of attitude is exactly Bama like! "Oh yeah Clemson will probably be ranked in the top 3, with one of the best offenses in the nation and the best QB in the nation BUT they are still Clemson."

That is such an entitled attitude...

And, to be fair, I don't see anyone in this thread with that type of attitude. I think what people are saying here is that in general, there are programs they feel we should always compete at a higher level than based upon resources, history, etc. However, the modern game is changing. Clemson has the resources. Clemson has the support. Clemson has the coaching. Clemson recruits as well as anyone, and as a result they have the players. I can see how someone might expect that Auburn always have better coaching, support, facilities, recruits, players, etc. That's fair. But when, despite that expectation, we aren't better in a few or more of those categories, I'm not going to ignore those facts.

My expectation for games has always been for Auburn to play their best game. If I think Auburn's best game is better than our opponent's best game, then I expect Auburn to win. When I think the opponent's best game is likely better, then I expect Auburn to play their best, and hope for a good outcome.

If Auburn plays their best game against Clemson, then we have a really good chance to win. If Clemson also plays their best game, I'm doubtful that we win. That's just the way I see it. In any given year, that expectation changes based upon all the things I've listed before.

But in my mind, Clemson is still Clempson....no matter how many professional prospects they seem to have.

I have watched Auburn play Clemson off and on for more than 60 years and I never expect to see us lose to them...and that includes this year.

- AU64

Really now?

I was trying to be nice. I'm not going to compare 64 to a bama fan.

Entitlement was the key word. If it makes you feel any better, you can insert any team in there that has that type of entitlement attitude. Just call a spade, a spade.

ha, fair enough.

Saw my first Auburn-Clemson game in Mobile in the early 1950s......and note that AU leads the series 34-13. .....and I look at playing Clemson like playing Miss State or Vandy....a game we ought to win...and any loss is a major disappointment. I sure don't feel the same about bama and LSU and I consider any AU win against them as a damn good win.

Nobody is "entitled" to anything.....but there are some programs that we ought to dominate by virtue of the money that Auburn spends on the program by comparison..... if for no other reason. ..JMO.

If historical records mattered then we should not expect to beat Vandy when we play them.....because we have a losing historical record against them.

Dabo has a way of really pushing his players & coaches when they go up against SEC teams. It's an accomplishment to field a team that can go toe to toe with the best of the SEC (and I don't mean the annual SoCarl game.) Dabo got out coached in his last SEC match-up on the nations biggest stage. He'll be out for blood in JHS...I know our players will be up to the task, I just hope our coaches will be as well.

I think our team (players and coaches) will be up to the task. We'll see if we have what it takes to knock off a very good team at home. It's a tough task early in the season, but I believe we can do it.

Anyone care to list the players they lost since last year and a basic scouting report on likely starters? I think a discussion of this sort may be more helpful than pissing in the wind (something I have seen more frequently recently). I'd do it myself, but I'm busy trying to get my fly open in this convertible.

To beat clemson we need to do a lot of things right, and a lot of that will come down to whether our team is prepared or not. The one thing i hate about Gus' teams is that he always uses the first 3-4 games to "figure it out". We need to have our starters after week 1 of fall. Let the team gel together and get their assignments down perfect. Thats the only way you field a SEASON LONG good football team

On 7/6/2016 at 11:58 PM, EclecticTiger said:

Anyone who says we will. "run it down their throats"  has been misinformed.  They have 2 all American caliber players at DT with Carlos Watkins and Christian Wilkins,  also at DE they Austin Bryant who played amazing when Shaq Lawson got hurt in the orange bowl,  Their LB are highly talented,  all had playing time last year as backups besides Ben Boulware.  It is going to take Clemson probably not showing up for us to win. 

15 hours ago, Vacations said:

Anyone who says we will. "run it down their throats"  has been misinformed.  They have 2 all American caliber players at DT with Carlos Watkins and Christian Wilkins,  also at DE they Austin Bryant who played amazing when Shaq Lawson got hurt in the orange bowl,  Their LB are highly talented,  all had playing time last year as backups besides Ben Boulware.  It is going to take Clemson probably not showing up for us to win. 

Hmmm, non descript screen name, a lot of knowledge of Clemson and 1st post.  Who are the "we" and "us" vacation refers to?

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Hmmm, non descript screen name, a lot of knowledge of Clemson and 1st post.  Who are the "we" and "us" vacation refers to?

Image result for Tiger Troll PersonClempson Troll

I watched the Clemson NC ACC championship game last night to get a feel for Clemsons offense. I'm really concerned about our LB and DE play which mostly has to do with pass coverage. Watson does a good job hitting underneath routes to his RB and TE. I'm afraid this will frustrate our defense and we will give up the big plays. 

Well we have been giving up underneath routes for the last 5 years but where it kills us is when we miss tackles. That's when we are in big trouble. When the 5 yard plays turn into 15 yard plays. Muschamp improved the tackling a little bit, hopefully Steele can keep that trend going.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:27 AM, Tiger said:

Not where you start...but where you finish.    AU started the year ranked high but finished the year unranked whereas USCe had two losses for the year ...one to AU.  

AU was obviously over-rated coming into 2011 based on the 2010 season.......just suggesting that 2016 is a new season and what happened for either team last season might not be relevant....and Clemson is still just Clemson IMO.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

^The onsides kick game was 2006. We came into Columbia unranked in 2011.

You are right...i was at both games...confused the situations....but do remember that the 2011 game was a big upset and Garcia was really BAD that game.  Also note that Ellis was the DC that game so perhaps he did have some ideas about Steve's offense.

^It's strange...USCe was REALLY good from '11-'13, yet that game didn't feel like a win over a top 10 team.

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

^It's strange...USCe was REALLY good from '11-'13, yet that game didn't feel like a win over a top 10 team.

True...no matter the respective rankings, you expect to beat the Gamecocks and it does not feel special or surprising when we do. 

On 7/6/2016 at 10:42 AM, lionheartkc said:

I was there and they manhandled us. And it wasn't even close to the final score.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:55 AM, gravejd said:

If historical records mattered then we should not expect to beat Vandy when we play them.....because we have a losing historical record against them.

You could win a lot of bar room bets with that boast. I had to look it up because I did not believe you. Of course, we can tie the series win a W this season.

On 7/6/2016 at 10:58 PM, EclecticTiger said:

Anyone care to list the players they lost since last year and a basic scouting report on likely starters? I think a discussion of this sort may be more helpful than pissing in the wind (something I have seen more frequently recently). I'd do it myself, but I'm busy trying to get my fly open in this convertible.

Pretty simple. Google is your friend...

http://www.philsteele.com/blogs/2016/FEB16/DBFeb16.html

T81. Clemson Tigers 12 8 4

• 4 weeks later...

After reading some back and forth on the forum today about how to beat Clemson I decided to revive this thread. The one comment made was that they predict we go in the half with a close score. This immediately made me think of the Oklahoma/Clemson game of last year. Clemsons defense shut down a good offense in the second half and pulled away for the win. In other words, they made great second half adjustments that neutralized Oklahoma's offense. With this in mind, should we go in this game with the mindset that we will have to change blocking schemes for the second half? Such as changing from pulling our guards for trap plays up the middle to pulling a guard and tackle for counter plays around the edge just as an example.

Basically I just want us to identify their strength on defense in the first half and change things up to counter what Venables may do to take advantage of that and identify their weakness and run straight at it. I don't think our offense changes assignments very much at half time. The only two games I remember us doing something different in the 2nd half vs any teams were in 13 against LSU and bama. 

Thoughts?

On July 12, 2016 at 10:34 AM, AU80cruiser said:

I watched the Clemson NC ACC championship game last night to get a feel for Clemsons offense. I'm really concerned about our LB and DE play which mostly has to do with pass coverage. Watson does a good job hitting underneath routes to his RB and TE. I'm afraid this will frustrate our defense and we will give up the big plays. 

I'm not worried about Defensive End play, and we will only need one LB to step up and play a good enough game to win. Next.

Archived