Beating Clemson

tigerbrotha12

38 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I corrected Plaric on his post. You added ANCIENT news, assuming I didn't know. Assumption is...

Never used the word "potential" with Bryant.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152024-two-thousand-yard-rushers/#comment-2509494

I wasn't assuming anything. You, however, are assuming that I was correcting you, which I wasn't. So are you just argumentative or insist on "correcting" this thread?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ValleyTiger said:

I wasn't assuming anything. You, however, are assuming that I was correcting you, which I wasn't. So are you just argumentative or insist on "correcting" this thread?

I corrected one person. You wanted to be "breaking news" guy. It didn't work for you.

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I corrected one person. You wanted to be "breaking news" guy. It didn't work for you.

Yes, it was such a hot take. Good to know that open dialogue about a current topic isn't welcomed in your presence Mr. Beating Clemson corrective, read my post again, argumentative guy.

It's all good bro, high five for a good back&forth. :cheers: #breakingnews

Just now, ValleyTiger said:

Yes, it was such a hot take. Good to know that open dialogue about a current topic isn't welcomed in your presence Mr. Beating Clemson corrective, read my post again, argumentative guy.

It's all good bro, high five for a good back&forth. :cheers: #breakingnews

Feel free to be "I know something you don't know" guy. Just know who you quote. I like to read up on opponents. It's something that's always fancied me.

i.e. I'd never attempt to drop recruiting news on ellitor. He gets it before the recruit does.

I don't know where else to put this, but does anyone know why we're going all auburn all orange for the Clemson game? Don't we usually go with true blue for games against opponents that are orange? Just wondering 

Probably. Just re-watched the 2010 AU Clemson game and was thinking all blue with the blue shakers looked awesome and hoped this year would look the same. 

Clemson will whip our butt first half as we abandon an interesting offensive first couple possessions that don't end up well. We will execute creative calls on both sides of the ball 2nd half making for a comeback and close win or loss.

This is a statement game for Auburn, if we blow it the season will be rough.

National championship level is this one. Gus needs to approach it as such

2 hours ago, Tiger96 said:

Probably. Just re-watched the 2010 AU Clemson game and was thinking all blue with the blue shakers looked awesome and hoped this year would look the same. 

There certainly will be no shortage of orange.  ;D

So many studs on offense...Watson...Gallman..Renfrow..Legette.. Scott.. We will most certainly get worked several times in the game. I just hope that we can contain these guys for it to not get ugly. As long as we don't lose because of something stupid I'll be ok with a close loss, but of course you never know with auburn they could surprise us with a win....sure hope so.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:00 PM, AU64 said:

But EJ did not learn anything about Spurrier's offense in that same period of time ? ......kinda hard to understand that?

He learned he couldn't stop it. 

I just want us to show much improvement and not throw 6 interceptions and 4 fumbles in the first two games. This team should be coached to play solid fundamentals, not the sissy defensive play we saw last year in the LSU game. I just want to see sound execution. If we get beat I want it to be by superior talent, not sloppy execution. Having said that, I think the play of the QB and the WR will determine if we are better or worse. In the 4th year, we need to be trending upward, not like the final year of CGC. WDE!! and here's to tough hard -nosed play going forward.

Check the Terry Henley quote.....a confident man

I agree with those who have said our talent is comparable with Clemson as far as total stars on recruiting sites coming out of HS. 

I would even go as far as to say that the potential production at most positions on the field are comparable.

However, the 2 biggest discrepancies are QB and WR.  At QB they have the Heisman front runner and we have 3 guys who were less than impressive last year who cannot separate themselves from the other 2. Major advantage for Clemson!!!

At WR we have some real talented TF guys who have a lot of potential.  They have guys who put up sick numbers last year (and one who was hurt last year and had great production in 2014. Another major advantage for Clemson! 

What makes this worse is how the QB and WR positions compound your strengths or weaknesses.  

Guys, there is a reason they are preseason #2 and we are unranked. 

If we win the game, it will be an upset!  No doubt about it.

And I certainly hope we get the upset victory. War Eagle!

"However, the 2 biggest discrepancies are QB and WR.  At QB they have the Heisman front runner and we have 3 guys who were less than impressive last year who cannot separate themselves from the other 2. Major advantage for Clemson!!! "

Fortunately for Auburn, Clemson's qb and wrs are playing against the strongest component of Auburn's team, the defense, and not against Auburn's 3 qbs. While Auburn's qbs are playing against Clemson's weaker unit.

As a Clemson fan, I'm not too certain Clemson's defense is "the weaker unit".

We're a little thin, and certainly young, at DE right now, with Bryant out and our #5 or #6 end - true freshman Xavier Kelly - dinged up in a moped accident a couple days ago. Still leaves RS frosh Clelin Ferrell, and sophomores Richard Yeargin, Chris Register, and Jabril Robinson as our four ends. Ferrell broke his hand and had to redshirt last season, so who knows how he'll play opening game but #99 is a scary dude; he has the fast twitch of a Vic Beasley and the size of a Shaq Lawson, certainly looks like a first-rounder getting off the bus. The way defensive ends coach Marion Hobby coaches these guys up - he's put 5 ends in the NFL the last two years alone, including two first-rounders (Beasley and Lawson) and a second-rounder (Kevin Dodd) - the feeling is, Ferrell's just the next man up. He's certainly played like it in Spring and Fall camps, has drawn raves from everybody. Austin Bryant, who is out with a broken foot until the end of September, was probably our #2 end, and Richard Yeargin the #3, but there wasn't a lot of separation between the top three; they were all kinda bounding around like the alien from Predator. BIG. Athletic. Aggressive. Register's a little lighter, kind of a DE/OLB tweener, good for pass-rush, not so much at edge-setting, and Jabril Robinson is probably just a guy, kind of a strongside end/3-tech tweener who can seal the edge but who also isn't going to kill many QB's.

The real scary part is our DT's. They're probably better than our WR's, which is saying something. Clemson literally rolls 6-7-deep at tackle in high-round future-NFL guys. Senior Carlos Watkins is listed as a potential first-rounder...after that, RS JR Scott Pagano, SO Christian Wilkins, FR Dexter Lawrence, and SO Albert Huggins can all seriously PLAY...these guys were all high-end 4-stars or 5-stars coming out of high school. Wilkins and Lawrence in particular are mutants; Wilkins reminds people strongly of former USC standout Leonard Williams, who can flex between strongside end and 3-tech...just a freak of nature at 315+ pounds, shockingly athletic...you may see Wilkins some at strongside end with Bryant out for the opener. Lawrence is 6'5", 340...and can move like he's 240 pounds. I watched him this past Spring and he was just sort of sweeping aside multiple blockers; he's a...different creature, let's put it that way. He was the #2 prospect in the nation coming out of high school, and that looked about right with him too. Guys that immense should just not move like Lawrence does.

Clemson returns 3 of its top 4 LB's from last season, including playmaking crazy-man SLB Ben Boulware, and adds some freshman 5-star early enrollees (Tre Lamar, Shaq Smith) to the mix; we're fine at LB. Secondary is a little thinner...CB Cordrea Tankersely has All-American, first-round tools, and SS Jadar Johnson is a senior who's played a boatload of snaps and was considered much stronger in coverage than Jayron Kearse (Kearse was the run-stuffer), and FS Van Smith is very active, and a very zealous hitter. The real question mark is the CB spot opposite Tankersley...junior Marcus Edmond, sophomore Mark Fields, and prize freshman Trayvon Mullen are all competing for that spot. Fields will probably get the start but Mullen - who is 6'2", 180, and has the wingspan of a 747 - has been very impressive thus far in camp and will certainly factor.

Clemson ranked #1 in the nation in total defense in 2014, and #10 in the nation last year, even playing 15 games. Brent Venables is a VERY good DC, has been a massive upgrade since (cough) we fired Kevin Steele. Most people close to the team certainly don't expect much dropoff this season either; unless injuries hit this is certainly a Top-10-to-Top-15 defense at the very worst, and maybe better than that. On paper it's an incredibly talented bunch; the problem is it's a little inexperienced in a couple spots. How that translates Week 1 is...of interest, but the talent is assuredly there.

For what it's worth.

Go back and look at Clemson's schedule last year.  They didn't play any difficult road games.  You could argue their most difficult road game was at South Carolina . . . and they won that game by 5 points against a weak SC team.  Clemson's opening game against us will be a much more difficult road game, in a much more difficult environment, than any road game they played last season.  Maybe they win, but after looking at their road games last season, I don't buy the argument that they blow us away in Jordan-Hare.

Sat, Sept 5 1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 12 2-0 (0-0)
Thu, Sept 17 3-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 3 4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 10 5-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 17 6-0 (3-0)
Sat, Oct 24 7-0 (4-0)
Sat, Oct 31 8-0 (5-0)
Sat, Nov 7 9-0 (6-0)
Sat, Nov 14 10-0 (7-0)
Sat, Nov 21 11-0 (8-0)
Sat, Nov 28 12-0 (8-0)