QB targets now...

steeleagle

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman.

For that statement to be fully true it requires the staff to fully believe in him which they did not & may still not.

That's very true. They could have opened up the playbook more for him. The coaches heading to get JF3 after the season makes me believe they're still not sold on him.

Wth does this mean? Have the coaches believe in him? You guys crack me up

Go back & watch the Miss St game. They were overly protective of him, calling all the plays with in a 10 yard radius. They did not start opening things up for him til the Arky & UK games.

If SW plays the entire season like he did against UK, we will be in great shape and will have a very successful season.

If AU played a schedule full of teams the caliber of UK, we would have a very successful season as well. Silly statement.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

He was still injured. Anything that happened after the Arky game should not be reflected on him.

His pick-six interception against Memphis had nothing to do with injuries. Don't understand while some QBs are held accountable, while others aren't.

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

He was still injured. Anything that happened after the Arky game should not be reflected on him.

His pick-six interception against Memphis had nothing to do with injuries. Don't understand while some QBs are held accountable, while others aren't.

Point was he should have not been playing at all. The only reason he was playing was because the staff has no trust in JJ. I don't treat other QBs differently. If we had another QB playing that could not plant & throw without pain like Sean did then I would be just as understanding.

Point was he should have not been playing at all. The only reason he was playing was because the staff has no trust in JJ. I don't treat other QBs differently. If we had another QB playing that could not plant & throw without pain like Sean did then I would be just as understanding.

1:00 mark. Has nothing to do with planting and throwing. He was throwing just fine before that. 8-13 for 103 yards. You do NOT make that type of pass. PERIOD. That is just a terrible pass. Also, the 1:17 mark. Quadruple coverage. That has nothing to do with an injury.

I love the hope people still have for White and Queen, but I'm starting to doubt if they are gonna ever be "the guy" white is in the situation where he may get beat out by a Duel QB and then have it happen again next season with woody or another JUCO, I hope White can become great but I think the mistakes he makes are what kills him. He makes some great throws, but will turn around and just not even read the defense and make a horrid throw and that's what must not be better or he would already be starter IMO. He still may win the job but if he couldn't lock it down in spring it becomes more and more like JF3's job to lose.

You make your coaches believe. It's not a you didn't play well because the coaches didn't believe in you. I've seen every excuse in the book made for sw. Fact is he has to play better and stop playing it safe in games. Seem like as he became more comfortable his decisions actually became worse.

JJ just sucks, but it's funny none of the other player excuses are used with him. He's like sw in reverse. He throws great deep balls but little 5 yard passes who knows what the hell he's going to do?

Gus needs to play his best players like Robinson instead of his favorite players and that will help everybody out. EVERYBODY just have to play better bottom line.

And the arky game was bad I'll give you that. But the dropped passes thing is the most played out excuse. I'm tired of hearing it

Come on man if you've read this thread lately you'd see that I'm not making any excuses for him either. With that said, I didn't see very many long passes until right around the time he got hurt. If did seem like Gus was easing him in.

I wasn't saying you made excuses, I was just laughing at you agreeing with the coaches didn't believe in him excuse.

You are gonna laugh at me some more then because I still think the coaching staff is skeptical of SW as our QB1. I think that's the reason we went and got JF3.

1:00 mark. Has nothing to do with planting and throwing. He was throwing just fine before that. 8-13 for 103 yards. You do NOT make that type of pass. PERIOD. That is just a terrible pass. Also, the 1:17 mark. Quadruple coverage. That has nothing to do with an injury.

Totally agree. That was the same type of ugly pass that we have harped on JJ about so when SW does it, SW will get it as well. SW had just as many pick 6s as TDs last year so that should show how unproductive his performance has been. Driving from 20 to 20 and handing the keys to Carlson or making stupid mistakes in the Redzone isn't going to win football games.

Agree on 1st. There was a window to throw to on the 2nd had he been accurate on the throw. Yes he should have eaten the 1st 1 & come off the wheel on the 2nd one. That could be a bad sign but they are only a small part of Sean's work & were not typical of the choices he made most of the rest of the season. If it continues then yes it would be a concern.

You make your coaches believe. It's not a you didn't play well because the coaches didn't believe in you. I've seen every excuse in the book made for sw. Fact is he has to play better and stop playing it safe in games. Seem like as he became more comfortable his decisions actually became worse.

JJ just sucks, but it's funny none of the other player excuses are used with him. He's like sw in reverse. He throws great deep balls but little 5 yard passes who knows what the hell he's going to do?

Gus needs to play his best players like Robinson instead of his favorite players and that will help everybody out. EVERYBODY just have to play better bottom line.

And the arky game was bad I'll give you that. But the dropped passes thing is the most played out excuse. I'm tired of hearing it

Come on man if you've read this thread lately you'd see that I'm not making any excuses for him either. With that said, I didn't see very many long passes until right around the time he got hurt. If did seem like Gus was easing him in.

I wasn't saying you made excuses, I was just laughing at you agreeing with the coaches didn't believe in him excuse.

You are gonna laugh at me some more then because I still think the coaching staff is skeptical of SW as our QB1 all our QBs for the 2016 season. I think that's the reason we went and got JF3.

FIFY

Totally agree. That was the same type of ugly pass that we have harped on JJ about so when SW does it, SW will get it as well. SW had just as many pick 6s as TDs last year so that should show how unproductive his performance has been. Driving from 20 to 20 and handing the keys to Carlson or making stupid mistakes in the Redzone isn't going to win football games.

Can't all be put on Sean though. How many good passes did our WRs drop for him? 7 in the Arky game alone.

You are gonna laugh at me some more then because I still think the coaching staff is skeptical of SW as our QB1. I think that's the reason we went and got JF3.

I would think that if the coaches were going JUCO due to being skeptical of White, then they would have gone with a prospect that could obviously come in and win the job quickly. Of course, I am not saying they are not skeptical, just that Franklin seems like more of a QB project than you would want if recruiting a JUCO QB for that reason. My theory has been that he was more of a win-win prospect. If he could win the QB job, great. If not, his speed meant they could find a role for him, especially given Gus' love of sweeps.

I would think that if the coaches were going JUCO due to being skeptical of White, then they would have gone with a prospect that could obviously come in and win the job quickly. Of course, I am not saying they are not skeptical, just that Franklin seems like more of a QB project than you would want if recruiting a JUCO QB for that reason. My theory has been that he was more of a win-win prospect. If he could win the QB job, great. If not, his speed meant they could find a role for him, especially given Gus' love of sweeps.

Gus did think that & while JF3 has the ability to play other spots he was not recruited to & staff has not given thought to it yet.

That was my line of thinking as well because I didnt think he is ready yet but I've heard several times that JF3 was being brought in to start and that it was his job to lose.

Like Davis Webb or Eli Jenkins? GTs, but still, they went after them and those are both guys who at least give the appearance of a sure bet relative to what we have.

I could see JFIII being a legit 4.3 guy who could provide depth at QB and other positions. That made sense to me as a recruiting strategy. But evidently they went out and picked a 3* athlete over guys like Jerod Evans to come in and take the job. Our insiders have all said it, so I believe it. I don't see that as a vote of confidence for anybody on the roster.

Like Davis Webb or Eli Jenkins? GTs, but still, they went after them and those are both guys who at least give the appearance of a sure bet relative to what we have.

I could see JFIII being a legit 4.3 guy who could provide depth at QB and other positions. That made sense to me as a recruiting strategy. But evidently they went out and picked a 3* athlete over guys like Jerod Evans to come in and take the job. Our insiders have all said it, so I believe it. I don't see that as a vote of confidence for anybody on the roster.

It made sense to me as well, and it still does. If the rest is actually true, then that is just asinine.

Grad transfers and JUCO players all have one thing in common: they are looking to go somewhere they can play. If our coaches had no confidence in anyone on the roster, then basically any of those guys could have shown up and started at a major SEC program. Selecting a 3* project QB over everyone else is madness. Putting all your eggs in the "hoping Franklin is another Nick Marshall" basket is idiotic.

QB recruiting under Gus is causing concern. I hope he can get this figured out

Cam, Marshall, JJ, Sean White and Barrett are about as good a group of QB prospects as anybody has recruited over the past several years. I think he's got it figured out.

Lol at putting Barrett and Sean White and his lone TD in the same breath as two Auburn legends. Two legends that arrived by the juco train at that.

LOL at your failure to read. The guy said QB recruiting was a problem. Barrett and White were both top-level recruits. Nobody was talking about college accomplishments. Those two haven't had the opportunity to excel or fail yet.

They were not top level recruits. Top level recruits are like Jacob Eason, Sean Patterson probably going to be Joey Gatewood. And SW has had the opportunity already to excel... he cashed in on one TD in five starts.

White has played a few games, some injured, as a RS frosh. Barrett isn't even here yet. Neither has had any sort of chance to succeed or fail yet. As to what constitutes a top-level QB recruit, your opinion is at odds with most of the world.

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman...Other players like Manziel and Winston did at that point.

Sean White was the number 8 pocket passer out of high school. Only three SEC offers including Auburn.

White was MVP of the elite 11, can't get a whole lot better than that. Did pretty well (as a redshirt freshmen) before injury, in a offense that was set and practiced for a year, to JJ talents.

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

I agree he sucked. But I'm saying he sucked against reasonable defenses, well at least two games, sw killed the suck such defenses then got killed against other defenses but then they say you can't count that....did you see the passes he threw against Memphis? What pick did you see that you thought if he had a little more juice on that it would be ok? His decisions looked like JJ's. Some of his in miss st did too and if you remember I questioned the coaches and everybody got mad.

Let's be real everything I said early everybody got mad at me about because it was early. By the end of the season though I was right....But once again since I saw it too early I deserved it...smh

After an entire season of cole stating JJ is better than SW, all he has left is: Well, well, SW did it against bad defenses. Yeah that's it.

Keep in mind SW was a redshirt freshmen, in an O completely designed for JJ's talents. Before injury, I would say he did pretty good! Again, redshirt freshmen, in the SEC, with no Wideouts!

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

I agree he sucked. But I'm saying he sucked against reasonable defenses, well at least two games, sw killed the suck such defenses then got killed against other defenses but then they say you can't count that....did you see the passes he threw against Memphis? What pick did you see that you thought if he had a little more juice on that it would be ok? His decisions looked like JJ's. Some of his in miss st did too and if you remember I questioned the coaches and everybody got mad.

Let's be real everything I said early everybody got mad at me about because it was early. By the end of the season though I was right....But once again since I saw it too early I deserved it...smh

After an entire season of cole stating JJ is better than SW, all he has left is: Well, well, SW did it against bad defenses. Yeah that's it.

Keep in mind SW was a redshirt freshmen, in an O completely designed for JJ's talents. Before injury, I would say he did pretty good! Again, redshirt freshmen, in the SEC, with no Wideouts!

And Gus Rhett really took the pressure off SW with all of those runs up the middle on first down.

And Gus Rhett really took the pressure off SW with all of those runs up the middle on first down.

Wait a sec! 3rd and 7-10 isn't conducive to being successful? Weird...

:wavey:

Damn! Who-da thunk it?

Can't all be put on Sean though. How many good passes did our WRs drop for him? 7 in the Arky game alone.

No no no, E. Some people are tired of the "receiver excuse" ....smh. There were plenty of times that Sean could have been better. We also had a perfect storm of conditions last year to make things very difficult on him. Again, I point to, as others have, coaching decisions, DROPPED PASSES, and injuries to name a few. He was obviously our best option last year. Can he win us 9-10 games this year? IMO, the jury is still out on that. I believe our coaches themselves will play a big part in either helping get us there or keeping us from getting there. But I agree, he needs to play better, and my original part of it being too early to call him a bust still stands

No no no, E. Some people are tired of the "receiver excuse" ....smh. There were plenty of times that Sean could have been better. We also had a perfect storm of conditions last year to make things very difficult on him. Again, I point to, as others have, coaching decisions, DROPPED PASSES, and injuries to name a few. He was obviously our best option last year. Can he win us 9-10 games this year? IMO, the jury is still out on that. I believe our coaches themselves will play a big part in either helping get us there or keeping us from getting there. But I agree, he needs to play better, and my original part of it being too early to call him a bust still stands

The rest of your post sounded like yes, yes, yes to me as in we agree.

Just to be clear, the poor receiver play affected both QBs.

And to be fair to JJ, I'm still very curious as to how everything would've gone down if that long TD to Smith vs Louisville hadn't gotten called back...

Whatever, doesn't matter now. Gus needs to pick a horse this August, hitch his wagon to it and get the show on the road. I stand by the experience excuse for 2015, and I stand by him no longer having that excuse in 2016. Barring a bizarre rash of injuries at critical positions, my opinion of him as our long term solution at HC will be solidified come December. He should only need "pretty good" QB play to field a respectable offense this year, and if he can't make that happen then he hasn't earned his paycheck IMO.

Archived