QB targets now...

steeleagle

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

He was still injured. Anything that happened after the Arky game should not be reflected on him.

His pick-six interception against Memphis had nothing to do with injuries. Don't understand while some QBs are held accountable, while others aren't.

Point was he should have not been playing at all. The only reason he was playing was because the staff has no trust in JJ. I don't treat other QBs differently. If we had another QB playing that could not plant & throw without pain like Sean did then I would be just as understanding.

1:00 mark. Has nothing to do with planting and throwing. He was throwing just fine before that. 8-13 for 103 yards. You do NOT make that type of pass. PERIOD. That is just a terrible pass. Also, the 1:17 mark. Quadruple coverage. That has nothing to do with an injury.

Totally agree. That was the same type of ugly pass that we have harped on JJ about so when SW does it, SW will get it as well. SW had just as many pick 6s as TDs last year so that should show how unproductive his performance has been. Driving from 20 to 20 and handing the keys to Carlson or making stupid mistakes in the Redzone isn't going to win football games.

Can't all be put on Sean though. How many good passes did our WRs drop for him? 7 in the Arky game alone.

No no no, E. Some people are tired of the "receiver excuse" ....smh. There were plenty of times that Sean could have been better. We also had a perfect storm of conditions last year to make things very difficult on him. Again, I point to, as others have, coaching decisions, DROPPED PASSES, and injuries to name a few. He was obviously our best option last year. Can he win us 9-10 games this year? IMO, the jury is still out on that. I believe our coaches themselves will play a big part in either helping get us there or keeping us from getting there. But I agree, he needs to play better, and my original part of it being too early to call him a bust still stands

Thank you. Was our receivers terrible in the Arkansas game? Yes, they were horrendous. Did we have injuries that derailed our team chemistry? Absolutely. Could our QBs been better in general? Of course. TBH, most of our guys had a good report with JJ. It takes time to develop synchronization with your QB. Once JJ clearly failed, we inserted SW. The problem is the coaching staff did not have confidence in SW. They didn't after his pick in the MSU game for sure. IMO, If you are going to run with a QB, then you need to allow that QB, especially a Fr, to go hard in the paint. He is going to make mistakes. That is part of growing. Just my opinion, though. I think after SW got hurt, his confidence really took a hit, specifically when he started making uncharacteristic throws. That and the fact that the coaching staff really didn't do a whole lot to ease his transition. What I really found interesting, is the fact that they would insert JJ, during red zone opportunities. IF SW is to be the man, they are going to have to find a way to incorporate schemes, for us to be able to put up 6s on the board.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be clear, the poor receiver play affected both QBs.

And to be fair to JJ, I'm still very curious as to how everything would've gone down if that long TD to Smith vs Louisville hadn't gotten called back...

WRs were getting open the 1st 3 games when JJ threw his pics. He just threw balls at defendes like Sean did in the Memphis game. JJ did not give WRs enough chances to even drop his passes.

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

He was still injured. Anything that happened after the Arky game should not be reflected on him.

His pick-six interception against Memphis had nothing to do with injuries. Don't understand while some QBs are held accountable, while others aren't.

Point was he should have not been playing at all. The only reason he was playing was because the staff has no trust in JJ. I don't treat other QBs differently. If we had another QB playing that could not plant & throw without pain like Sean did then I would be just as understanding.

1:00 mark. Has nothing to do with planting and throwing. He was throwing just fine before that. 8-13 for 103 yards. You do NOT make that type of pass. PERIOD. That is just a terrible pass. Also, the 1:17 mark. Quadruple coverage. That has nothing to do with an injury.

Totally agree. That was the same type of ugly pass that we have harped on JJ about so when SW does it, SW will get it as well. SW had just as many pick 6s as TDs last year so that should show how unproductive his performance has been. Driving from 20 to 20 and handing the keys to Carlson or making stupid mistakes in the Redzone isn't going to win football games.

Can't all be put on Sean though. How many good passes did our WRs drop for him? 7 in the Arky game alone.

No no no, E. Some people are tired of the "receiver excuse" ....smh. There were plenty of times that Sean could have been better. We also had a perfect storm of conditions last year to make things very difficult on him. Again, I point to, as others have, coaching decisions, DROPPED PASSES, and injuries to name a few. He was obviously our best option last year. Can he win us 9-10 games this year? IMO, the jury is still out on that. I believe our coaches themselves will play a big part in either helping get us there or keeping us from getting there. But I agree, he needs to play better, and my original part of it being too early to call him a bust still stands

Thank you. Was our receivers terrible in the Arkansas game? Yes, they were horrendous. Did we have injuries that derailed our team chemistry? Absolutely. Could our QBs been better in general? Of course. TBH, most of our guys had a good report with JJ. It takes time to develop synchronization with your QB. Once JJ clearly failed, we inserted SW. The problem is the coaching staff did not have confidence in SW. They didn't after his pick in the MSU game for sure. IMO, If you are going to run with a QB, then you need to allow that QB, especially a Fr, to go hard in the paint. He is going to make mistakes. That is part of growing. Just my opinion, though. I think after SW got hurt, his confidence really took a hit, specifically when he started making uncharacteristic throws. That and the fact that the coaching staff really didn't do a whole lot to ease his transition. What I really found interesting, is the fact that they would insert JJ, during red zone opportunities. IF SW is to be the man, they are going to have to find a way to incorporate schemes, for us to be able to put up 6s on the board.

I don't see the point of this. I have said the exact same thing both you guys said in your last 2 posts on a weekly basis on the board since February. Why try to start a debate when all parties involved in the post are in agreement?

I don't see the point of this. I have said the exact same thing both you guys said in your last 2 posts on a weekly basis on the board since February. Why try to start a debate when all parties involved in the post are in agreement?

I am agreeing with both of you... :dunno: .

Just to be clear, the poor receiver play affected both QBs.

And to be fair to JJ, I'm still very curious as to how everything would've gone down if that long TD to Smith vs Louisville hadn't gotten called back...

WRs were getting open thr 12st 3 games when JJ threw his pics. He just threw balls at defendes like Sean did in the Memphis game. JJ did not give WRs enough chances to even drop his passes.

I'm tempted to agree with you, but that's where it's just a little too subjective for me and where I think Cole might have a point about the 2 kids being looked at through different lenses. I do think that JJ's picks in the early games- which did not occur against quality defenses and which were indeed

- color my perception about the rest of his play. One example of others letting his mistakes color their overall perception of his play was the moaning and groaning over his long TD run against LSU. People were seriously complaining and questioning his heart because the dude looked over his shoulder at one point. Does Sean get that same kind of treatment if the same thing happens? I don't know.

I am agreeing with both of you... :dunno: .

Tone just sounded like still debating against me. We cool though.

QB recruiting under Gus is causing concern. I hope he can get this figured out

Cam, Marshall, JJ, Sean White and Barrett are about as good a group of QB prospects as anybody has recruited over the past several years. I think he's got it figured out.

Lol at putting Barrett and Sean White and his lone TD in the same breath as two Auburn legends. Two legends that arrived by the juco train at that.

LOL at your failure to read. The guy said QB recruiting was a problem. Barrett and White were both top-level recruits. Nobody was talking about college accomplishments. Those two haven't had the opportunity to excel or fail yet.

They were not top level recruits. Top level recruits are like Jacob Eason, Sean Patterson probably going to be Joey Gatewood. And SW has had the opportunity already to excel... he cashed in on one TD in five starts.

White has played a few games, some injured, as a RS frosh. Barrett isn't even here yet. Neither has had any sort of chance to succeed or fail yet. As to what constitutes a top-level QB recruit, your opinion is at odds with most of the world.

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman...Other players like Manziel and Winston did at that point.

Sean White was the number 8 pocket passer out of high school. Only three SEC offers including Auburn.

White was MVP of the elite 11, can't get a whole lot better than that. Did pretty well (as a redshirt freshmen) before injury, in a offense that was set and practiced for a year, to JJ talents.

Just because he won the competition, that doesn't mean he was highly recruited or a top QB recruit. He was number 11. And how did he throw well last year? How many other QBs in the live ball era that you know of that did well in their season but only threw one TD pass in 7 game appearances?

To be fair, It hurts his stats that most of the time he was substituted for the wildcat in red zone appearances.

I am agreeing with both of you... :dunno:/> .

Tone just sounded like still debating against me. We cool though.

Lol we all three agree with each other. Well said all haha. I've been saying the exact same thing since the season ended as well. My only statement that seemed to "scold" E was sarcasm.

To be fair, It hurts his stats that most of the time he was substituted for the wildcat in red zone appearances.

Yup. Soooo many variables dictate stats. That's why I try not to base my opinions on them too much. At some point they mean something, but not to me with an extremely limited sample size and in an extremely "uncontrolled" environment. Not many apples to apples comparisons in sports.

I guess the coaches learned from the MSU game to make sure he didn't have the opportunity to throw another pass across his body and right to a defender's chest. If SW was a weapon in the red zone, the coaches would've utilized it. I mean come on now.

Lol we all three agree with each other. Well said all haha. I've been saying the exact same thing since the season ended as well. My only statement that seemed to "scold" E was sarcasm.

And we know how well I pick up on that.

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

I agree he sucked. But I'm saying he sucked against reasonable defenses, well at least two games, sw killed the suck such defenses then got killed against other defenses but then they say you can't count that....did you see the passes he threw against Memphis? What pick did you see that you thought if he had a little more juice on that it would be ok? His decisions looked like JJ's. Some of his in miss st did too and if you remember I questioned the coaches and everybody got mad.

Let's be real everything I said early everybody got mad at me about because it was early. By the end of the season though I was right....But once again since I saw it too early I deserved it...smh

After an entire season of cole stating JJ is better than SW, all he has left is: Well, well, SW did it against bad defenses. Yeah that's it.

Keep in mind SW was a redshirt freshmen, in an O completely designed for JJ's talents. Before injury, I would say he did pretty good! Again, redshirt freshmen, in the SEC, with no Wideouts!

And Gus Rhett really took the pressure off SW with all of those runs up the middle on first down.

Huge LOL !!!

And we know how well I pick up on that.

Lol that we do.

I guess the coaches learned from the MSU game to make sure he didn't have the opportunity to throw another pass across his body and right to a defender's chest. If SW was a weapon in the red zone, the coaches would've utilized it. I mean come on now.

Exactly, he threw that same pass in the Memphis game in the redzone and it was almost another pick. It makes me wonder if his QB coach is stressing these errors in practice. On the other hand, it may all be on Sean and its just a bad habit carried over from high school. I hope he gets it straightened out.

Exactly, he threw that same pass in the Memphis game in the redzone and it was almost another pick. It makes me wonder if his QB coach is stressing these errors in practice. On the other hand, it may all be on Sean and its just a bad habit carried over from high school. I hope he gets it straightened out.

We have a qb coach? I kid, I kid

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

I agree he sucked. But I'm saying he sucked against reasonable defenses, well at least two games, sw killed the suck such defenses then got killed against other defenses but then they say you can't count that....did you see the passes he threw against Memphis? What pick did you see that you thought if he had a little more juice on that it would be ok? His decisions looked like JJ's. Some of his in miss st did too and if you remember I questioned the coaches and everybody got mad.

Let's be real everything I said early everybody got mad at me about because it was early. By the end of the season though I was right....But once again since I saw it too early I deserved it...smh

After an entire season of cole stating JJ is better than SW, all he has left is: Well, well, SW did it against bad defenses. Yeah that's it.

Keep in mind SW was a redshirt freshmen, in an O completely designed for JJ's talents. Before injury, I would say he did pretty good! Again, redshirt freshmen, in the SEC, with no Wideouts!

And Gus Rhett really took the pressure off SW with all of those runs up the middle on first down.

Agree

QB recruiting under Gus is causing concern. I hope he can get this figured out

Cam, Marshall, JJ, Sean White and Barrett are about as good a group of QB prospects as anybody has recruited over the past several years. I think he's got it figured out.

Lol at putting Barrett and Sean White and his lone TD in the same breath as two Auburn legends. Two legends that arrived by the juco train at that.

LOL at your failure to read. The guy said QB recruiting was a problem. Barrett and White were both top-level recruits. Nobody was talking about college accomplishments. Those two haven't had the opportunity to excel or fail yet.

They were not top level recruits. Top level recruits are like Jacob Eason, Sean Patterson probably going to be Joey Gatewood. And SW has had the opportunity already to excel... he cashed in on one TD in five starts.

White has played a few games, some injured, as a RS frosh. Barrett isn't even here yet. Neither has had any sort of chance to succeed or fail yet. As to what constitutes a top-level QB recruit, your opinion is at odds with most of the world.

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman...Other players like Manziel and Winston did at that point.

Sean White was the number 8 pocket passer out of high school. Only three SEC offers including Auburn.

White was MVP of the elite 11, can't get a whole lot better than that. Did pretty well (as a redshirt freshmen) before injury, in a offense that was set and practiced for a year, to JJ talents.

Just because he won the competition, that doesn't mean he was highly recruited or a top QB recruit. He was number 11. And how did he throw well last year? How many other QBs in the live ball era that you know of that did well in their season but only threw one TD pass in 7 game appearances?

For what he was asked to do, from when he was thrown in, with the play calling, and lack of help from the WO position, I thought it could have been allot worse as a redshirt freshmen in the SEC. Take JJ or KF for example.

I think the coaches would have utilized any red zone weapon they could find last year.

Not the argument. You referenced the 1 TD pass as proof he isn't very effective in the red zone. I just proppsed that being substituted in the red zone would effect his stats.

As far as the MSU game pass you are pointing to, I would rather a QB make a bad throw that results in a INT than a QB throw an INT because he can't read a D. One of those two can be corrected, the other most of the time can't be. To be honest, I just rather then not throw INTs at all, but they will happen.

Kid throws a pick in the red zone in his first ever college possession after leading the best drive we'd seen all season. Yep, definitely reason enough to never, ever let him throw a ball in the red zone again.

This has gotten comical.

Kid throws a pick in the red zone in his first ever college possession after leading the best drive we'd seen all season. Yep, definitely reason enough to never, ever let him throw a ball in the red zone again.

This has gotten comical.

One strike an you are out.....

This has gotten comical.

He almost threw the exact same pick in the memphis game. Only reason it wasn't a pick was the memphis player simply dropped it.

There may be a reason Sean wasn't allowed to play in the redzone therefore hurting his stats.

Edit*** my apologies, the particular near pick in the redzone may have been against the other blue team we played.....kentucky. This would change the point i was making earlier. I'd have to go back and watch the full game to be sure.

I'm with McLoofus. This is comical. jeff, I can't imagine how thoroughly you wrote off Jason Campbell after 2003. That must've been a MASSIVE plate of crow you ate in 2004.

Our QB wasn't fully developed as a 19 year old!! He must be terrible and his coaches are awful. Toss out the bums.

Archived