Surprises, disappointments, newcomers

corchjay

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Chad Kelly 2015 stats 13 games 500 rushing yards and 4042 passing yards.  Ole Miss has a similar offense as ours but I would say leans more passing.  If Chad Kelly in that offense can get 500 then I don't see why its so hard to imagine Sean getting that many in our run heavy offense.

SMH. Sean is a gritty kid but not comparable as a runner to Chad Kelly. To put the 2 in the same sentence that way is illogical and that's a nice way of putting it.

I didn't want to pull this out but I feel I have to give a reality check. Sean ran a 5.03 in the 40 at The Opening just before he came to AU. He is just not a runner people & will not have improved enough in that time to be a runner.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope he runs some because if JF3 doesn't pan out then you need a running Qb to work the run/option.  

http://youtu.be/t4g1AKfoNH8

He isn't close to what JF3 is, but the 1:50 mark shows he can run better than people say.

Surprises- Pettaway RB, Russel DT

Disappointments- From last year's results- Matthews DB

Newcomers- Stove WR, Coe DE

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He isn't close to what JF3 is, but the 1:50 mark shows he can run better than people say.

And that is what I refer to as gritty. He'll do what he has to to win which is why I am surprised why more AU fans don't rammly behind him.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

With Gus at the helm of the offense this year and an off season where he's actually in the mix as starter I believe you'll see a lot more run option from Sean.  He'll probably get 5-10 yrds at most on average but he'll bust a 40yarder every now and then.  Just like many on here are quick to dismiss his running ability so will many opposing coaching staffs which makes him that much more dangerous.

White averaged 1.2 YPC last season, but you anticipate an unworldly increase of 3.8 - 8.8 YPC.

This is exactly the type bets that keeps Vegas profiting.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

SMH. Sean is a gritty kid but not comparable as a runner to Chad Kelly. To put the 2 in the same sentence that way is illogical and that's a nice way of putting it.

I didn't want to pull this out but I feel I have to give a reality check. Sean ran a 5.03 in the 40 at The Opening just before he came to AU. He is just not a runner people & will not have improved enough in that time to be a runner.

I am glad you said something before I did. I don't think people understand that Chad Kelly is a true threat on his feet. He was one of the highest ranked DT QBs in the nation out of high school and signed to Clemson for that matter. Ironically, it seems him and Watson will battle it out for 1 and 2 this year. SW is not a running threat. Period. And guess what? That is okay. Yes, you need more than 1 run to be considered a threat. 

He might not be a threat in the same manner as Watson or Kelly, but to say he can't run and is no threat at all is a pretty good exaggeration. With his arm you only need Sean to extend plays with his legs not make them.

Surprise: the linebacker from hoover or the d tackle Russell.  He's better than many know.  

Disappointment: Sean white.  People blew him up too much.  Unreal expectations to a point that he can't do anything wrong. 

Newcomer: as far as production Neal. But the best player out of the class I think Coe.

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He might not be a threat in the same manner as Watson or Kelly, but to say he can't run and is no threat at all is a pretty good exaggeration. With his arm you only need Sean to extend plays with his legs not make them.

Will Gus even give him the chance to run though coming off knee & foot injuries now that he has an explosive running threat he can use at QB?

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Disappointment: Sean white.  People blew him up too much.  Unreal expectations to a point that he can't do anything wrong. 

Blew him up too much equates to people looking at him as a savior which I have not seen any logical posters do.

That doesn't even make sense as far as the savior thing.  Blew him up too much as far as putting too much stock in performances against weak teams.  But if you haven't seen it cool.  Im saying I have.

STAN White could run a heckuva QB Draw and was pretty fast when he needed to be. To my eyes, he (in College) and Sean White are almost identical in speed.

Other than the occasional QB Draw, I would not have either run with regularity, much less operate the Zone Read as much as Marshall did. The latter would get either hurt eventually and likely cost the HC his job for believing a pocket passer can be an effective Dual Threat QB.

I recall having this SAME debate with MANY at this point 12 months ago about Jeremy Johnson. I remember all the 500, 700 and even 1000 yard rushing predictions. I said he wouldn't reach 300.

Now Sean White's going to run for 500. Please stop.

I am with E here. SW is not scaring anybody with his legs. Even though he might be faster than people think like Bird said he still won't be given any respect as a runner by opposing defenses. There is more to being a true dual threat qb than having speed. JJ has speed, but it takes him forever to get going, he is scared of contact, and he doesn't have good vision. SW is a little better runner than JJ imo but isn't anywhere close too being the type of dual threat qb that we need to win big at AU.

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I saw it too. And it's funny you criticize extreme points of view considering you just posted one and always do any time you mention Sean's games versus UK and Arky. Yes them having weak defenses have to be accounted for to temper things but every time you post or counter about those games whether you intend to or not you very strongly imply Sean should get absolutely 0 credit for how he played in those games. Yes they have weak Ds. Yes Sean played well. Were their Ds a reason for his performance? Of course. Were his growth as a starting QB & the staff also opening the playbook for him, letting him play, a factor in him playing well? Yes.

Incidentally that was the last time Sean was healthy last season. In do way do his injuries excuse the mental mistakes he made the rest of the season but his performance was going to suffer after the injuries.

OK? Don't see your point,  not about to argue with you so you'll start your hissy fit.  The fact that you're quoting everybody's prediction is telling enough. But you didn't even disagree with what i said.  And I haven't made an extreme prediction,  you tried to use some faulty logic of me saying I think him being blown up was me saying somebody proclaimed him to being a savior.  Yes that is extreme but you are the person who said that.  Me saying those teams defenses suck isn't extreme at all.  I actually don't see how you convinced yourself that they are. 

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I am with E here. SW is not scaring anybody with his legs. Even though he might be faster than people think like Bird said he still won't be given any respect as a runner by opposing defenses. There is more to being a true dual threat qb than having speed. JJ has speed, but it takes him forever to get going, he is scared of contact, and he doesn't have good vision. SW is a little better runner than JJ imo but isn't anywhere close too being the type of dual threat qb that we need to win big at AU.

Not true at all.  A decent passing QB with a good stable of RB's and a talented WR corps can make this offense pretty darn good. He doesn't have to be dual threat.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

and I'm going on a date with Scarlett Johansson tonight.

Oh you too? Where should we pick you up?

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Not true at all.  A decent passing QB with a good stable of RB's and a talented WR corps can make this offense pretty darn good. He doesn't have to be dual threat.

OK thats your opinion. Mine is for our offense with CGM to be elite and win championships we need the threat of having a dual threat qb. This is just my opinion but we can be a good team 8 or 9 wins with a qb like SW, but we need a dual threat qb like Cam or NM to be elite. I am not saying we need an elite qb like Cam, but we do need to have the threat of a qb running.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

OK thats your opinion. Mine is for our offense with CGM to be elite and win championships we need the threat of having a dual threat qb. This is just my opinion but we can be a good team 8 or 9 wins with a qb like SW, but we need a dual threat qb like Cam or NM to be elite. I am not saying we need an elite qb like Cam, but we do need to have the threat of a qb running.

So you don't think Gus can recreate his passing succes w/ Hand at Tulsa under the right circumstance. I'm not referring to Sean in my hypothetical. Just asking if you think your statement holds if we had an elite pocket style QB?

I never meant to imply Sean would be used like a Nick Marshall.  500 is probably a little too optimistic but it wouldn't hurt to keep the defense guessing with the possibility of him tucking and running.  Ben Tate was a 1000 yard rusher with Chris Todd at Qb and he definitely wasn't a running threat.  I'm hoping for a better result than 2009 but a Florida New Years bowl would be an improvement. 

I think it is imperative to have and effective jet sweep/outside run guy in order to have a pass first QB.  I think Martin or Truitt could be that guy. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I never said he couldn't run. I said he is not a threat. You have any proof to base why this would be an exaggeration, other than his one highlight run against Mississippi state? 

A broken clock is right twice a day. He might break off a good 1st down run once or twice. That does not mean he is still any type of running threat.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I never meant to imply Sean would be used like a Nick Marshall.  500 is probably a little too optimistic but it wouldn't hurt to keep the defense guessing with the possibility of him tucking and running.  Ben Tate was a 1000 yard rusher with Chris Todd at Qb and he definitely wasn't a running threat.  I'm hoping for a better result than 2009 but a Florida New Years bowl would be an improvement. 

Any of the six bowls between Citrus and Birmingham--not that I wouldn't take Citrus, mind you--would be an improvement. If UNC wins 7-8 games, the Belk Bowl would be most likely, with the Cam and Chizik factors.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

A lot of misdirection and window dressing. I hope there is a resemblance of this with SW at QB. BTW, look at 1:30 and 3:30. As viper has said, pre-planned QB draws would work more efficiently with SW, than the typical QB read play. I believe if we open up the field with our outside runs (sweeps, etc) the middle of the field would be wide open for the occasional QB draw. Of course, SW would have to slide, seeing as he is not nearly as big as Todd to take those hit.

Again, look at 1:30. The middle of the field opens up because the defense has to respect the flats due to all the misdirections. Running SW out of the QB read would be detrimental, IMO. However, if we go back to this. He can have a couple of Good runs.

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

\If UNC wins 7-8 games, the Belk Bowl would be most likely, with the Cam and Chizik factors.

Don't think Cam will play a factor in where we will go. He will still be playing games.

Archived