Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You don't know what the coaches want. You might think you know. 

Actually I truly know who the coaches want to win the job and start for us at qb. That would be JF3. Have you seen SW practice at all this spring or summer? Or the qbs in general? We don't have a qb currently. If JF3 can improve his passing enough to make a couple of deep throws a game and stay around 50% we will have a qb that can run the offense imo.

36 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Actually I truly know who the coaches want to win the job and start for us at qb. That would be JF3. Have you seen SW practice at all this spring or summer? Or the qbs in general? We don't have a qb currently. If JF3 can improve his passing enough to make a couple of deep throws a game and stay around 50% we will have a qb that can run the offense imo.

I honestly believe that you believe that.  That doesn't make it any more of a truth nor any less of a complete speculation on your part. 

It's not a speculation. With that being said SW is the current leader in the clubhouse to be the starter against Clemson with JF3 getting snaps also. The race is closer than people think though because SW has had problems moving the offense and with interceptions and JF3 has had problems throwing the ball with consistency and turnovers also. We really need one of these guys to step up and take control. We currently do not have a good situation at the qb position.

47 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I do find it funny that everybody here is talking up SW but elsewhere, I'm hearing that our offense hasn't improved much since last year. Even both of our insiders are saying it but people here still choose to dismiss it. But if I question their sources on recruiting, everybody jumps on me for questioning the insider like they above reproach or something.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

It's not a speculation. With that being said SW is the current leader in the clubhouse to be the starter against Clemson with JF3 getting snaps also. The race is closer than people think though because SW has had problems moving the offense and with interceptions and JF3 has had problems throwing the ball with consistency and turnovers also. We really need one of these guys to step up and take control. We currently do not have a good situation at the qb position.

Thanks for all the info you share. I agree that our QB situation is less than desirable at the moment. 

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

The defense was in their faces for most of the scrimmage. If you don't have time to set up longer routes the check down gets it. The pass rush was intense.

The real question is:

Is this because our defense that couldnt generate a pass rush last season to save their drownding grandmothers has some how morphed into one of the best defensive lines we've ever had? Or is it because there is just a big of problems with our OL as there is under center?

personally i want jf3 to start. our real threats at WR are true freshmen or RSF. I feel We will need to lean on our running game this year. 

2 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

What's this all about? Seems a little uncalled for.

Why? He's stated multiple times he "knows that the coaches want JFIII to be the starting QB".  While I believe he believes that, I can't imagine he does know what the coaches want in that or just about any regard. 

21 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Agreed the QB situation isn't ideal, but then again, not many in the SEC are right now.  That doesn't mean they want JFIII to start. It means they want a QB to step in and be able to move the offense without turning over at the rate we were last season.

That may very well end up being JFIII, but I don't believe that's the case at the moment.  If it is, so be it. We'll all get behind him I hope.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Agreed the QB situation isn't ideal, but then again, not many in the SEC are right now.  That doesn't mean they want JFIII to start. It means they want a QB to step in and be able to move the offense without turning over at the rate we were last season.

That may very well end up being JFIII, but I don't believe that's the case at the moment.  If it is, so be it. We'll all get behind him I hope.

As someone in this thread said... I honestly believe that you believe that.  That doesn't make it any more of a truth nor any less of a complete speculation on your part. 

:)

Man it would be so awesome if jj were to have a major comeback season...work in the trickery with jf3 and then jf3 takes off next season 

Just hope JF3 would be prepared mentally in such a huge debut. May shine, talent is there, but it ain't Scooba, MS. SW has shown he's good mentally, so I'm guessing that will win out in game one

I must be alone in thinking that the reason it is taking such a long time to name a starter is because wants to give it to JJ but wants to keep the pressure off him as long as possible.. I mean we didn't hear that the decision was delayed until JJ hurt his hand...

10 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I must be alone in thinking that the reason it is taking such a long time to name a starter is because wants to give it to JJ but wants to keep the pressure off him as long as possible.. I mean we didn't hear that the decision was delayed until JJ hurt his hand...

You could be right, but that would mean that JJ has transformed himself into a runner, because Gus says the QB must be a runner.  If the QBs have not gone live in practice, there is no way to tell if he can run the ball and take on tacklers to get the 1st down.

OR

Gus plans to go with a pure passing offense and has been misleading us all building up to a big surprise for Clemson.

16 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Yes, you are alone in this thought. THat is UFO talk, if you really think it is taking a long time to name a starter because they WANT to give to JJ. They GAVE it to JJ last year, and he imploded. If they bring in JJ early in the season, it is only because White and JFIII have failed to succeed at QB...

3 minutes ago, Velvet Beavis said:

You could be right, but that would mean that JJ has transformed himself into a runner, because Gus says the QB must be a runner.  If the QBs have not gone live in practice, there is no way to tell if he can run the ball and take on tacklers to get the 1st down.

OR

Gus plans to go with a pure passing offense and has been misleading us all building up to a big surprise for Clemson.

I watched some of the practice footage, JJ looked quick on his feet. He WAS a running in high school if I remember correctly. I am just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ out there. Gus to me seems like the loyal / 2nd chance kind of a guy. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

If the receivers step up, SW gives us the best chance to win.  

The only way i feel the receivers really get to improve and help this team is if White is throwing it. 

I just feel JFIII will not be consistent passing the ball, or has the experience reading defenses or moving the ball through the air when we want to much less when we need to. He will simply take off over half the time in passing situations because that is what he does best and KNOWS the best.

8 minutes ago, Velvet Beavis said:

OR

No, Gus said that QB must run more than we did last year. I don't give JJ nearly as much credit for being "a runner" as a lot of people here do, but he is plenty big and mobile to run more than we saw last season. And he would have if every other aspect of the offense didn't implode, particularly his passing. 

Everything doesn't always have to be passer *vs* runner. All our guys are somewhere in the middle, with JFIII seemingly being the one who skews the furthest in one particular direction. These absolute labels really get in the way of quality analysis and conversation. 

Ok oK..i will go out on a limb and say NO QB will be announced the starter, and when we run our first offensive play from scrimmage, there will be no QB, but we will execute a play with only 10 men...))

Archived