Television Shows

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I didn't like Emma, but it was the same watching that movie.  Couldn't look away.

I'm going to go back and watch some of her prior work. 

I haven't seen Emma. I think the only movie that I've seen her in prior to watching TQG was Split. 

But yeah, she already has really big, beautiful eyes. The different looks that she gives made her character feel so much more authentic to me. It's really impressive. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished "The Queen's Gambit." WOW! I got to it late, but there is a reason this 7-episode series has been #1 in 63 countries for more than a month.

13 hours ago, AURex said:

Just finished "The Queen's Gambit." WOW! I got to it late, but there is a reason this 7-episode series has been #1 in 63 countries for more than a month.

Yes it was excellent and a great cast Anya Taylor-Joy is perfect for her character

13 hours ago, AURex said:

21 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes it was excellent and a great cast Anya Taylor-Joy is perfect for her character

Hear, hear. That show has everything and she is absolutely mesmerizing. 

Some interesting stuff out there about Easter eggs in the show, like how much the roles certain characters played in the show resembled chess pieces, and I didn't even catch that in the final scene she looked exactly like the white queen piece with her outfit.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hear, hear. That show has everything and she is absolutely mesmerizing. 

Some interesting stuff out there about Easter eggs in the show, like how much the roles certain characters played in the show resembled chess pieces, and I didn't even catch that in the final scene she looked exactly like the white queen piece with her outfit.

The White Queen, by costume designer Gabriele Binder, is the final look worn by Beth in the series

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Full disclosure, I would support a lifetime contract for Gus just to share an Uber with her. 

Tempting for sure but I don't know about a lifetime of pure misery with Gus

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Tempting for sure but I don't know about a lifetime of pure misery with Gus

Just think of all those Saturdays you'd have free to just sit around and think about that Uber ride that one time.

Actually, I'd still be sad thinking about all those football players. 10 years from now, we'd have 2* juco kids wishing they'd just gone straight into HVAC repair. 

• Haha 1

5 tidbits about "The Queen's Gambit" that most people don't know.

1. Heath Ledger originally wanted to turn the book into a movie, which he would direct and star in. He was an excellent chess player.
2. The author of the book, Walter Tevis, was a very good chess player in his youth, but never played at this level of competition. He was born in SF and confined to a hospital in his youth due to illness and was kept drugged with phenobarbital (3 doses per day) for a prolonged period, during which his parents basically abandoned him. After being released at age 11, he hopped a train and traveled across country by himself to find his family in Kentucky.
3. Although the home setting for the girl in the movie was Kentucky, the orphanage and Paris hotel scenes were filmed in Berlin and the scenes depicting Kentucky were filmed in Ontario Canada.
4. Tevis became obsessed with pool and became a very good pool player. As a student at U of Kentucky (where he earned a BA and MA in English), he worked in a pool hall. He wrote a short story with a pool theme while in college and became obsessed with pool. He later wrote the books that "The Hustler" and its sequel "The Color of Money" were based on.
5. Tevis also read a lot of scifi in his youth, reading books from the public library. He wrote the novel "The Man Who Fell To Earth" which was made into a movie starring David Bowie.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

I’m two episodes in watching “Defending Jacob” on 🍎+ TV. I’m liking it so far. 

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

Just finished Narcos on Prime. Very good. Started Jack Ryan. 

both are very good.  the other narcos is good too - narcos mexico?

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Yes Mexico. Wife watched the series on Netflix. She said it was goo too. 

12 hours ago, The Freak said:

Yup. They did such a great job following up the Columbia story. I hope there's more to come.

• 4 weeks later...

Cobra Cai is so freaking good. Truly handle the nostalgia well, with the tie ins from the original movies.  Went through season 3 in a lol.  

How much longer until Witcher? 

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Cobra Cai is so freaking good. Truly handle the nostalgia well, with the tie ins from the original movies.  Went through season 3 in a lol.  

How much longer until Witcher? 

I also cruised through Cobra Kai in a couple days. I’m assuming that the 4th season will be the final season, or at least it should be based on how 3 finished. 

Also blew through Queen’s Gambit in a couple days. Great show. 

The Undoing on HBO was pretty whatever. Disappointing ending.

About to finish Murder On Middle Beach, 4 part murder doc on HBO. 

And after that, I guess I’m back to just watching random movies I’ve got on my list. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I also cruised through Cobra Kai in a couple days. I’m assuming that the 4th season will be the final season, or at least it should be based on how 3 finished. 

Also blew through Queen’s Gambit in a couple days. Great show. 

The Undoing on HBO was pretty whatever. Disappointing ending.

About to finish Murder On Middle Beach, 4 part murder doc on HBO. 

And after that, I guess I’m back to just watching random movies I’ve got on my list. 

Queens will probably be the next series I start. About to be back working full weeks again, so less binging 

I just finished up “Ratched” which is supposed to be a take off on Ratchet from Cuckoo’s Nest but the characters aren’t really similar at all. It’s okay, not great. I may check it out again if they do a season 2 but it ain’t a given I’ll watch it. 

Queen's Gambit was brilliant. Just fantastic. Anya did a great job growing up with her character.  She showed the rebellious youthfulness early and the poised maturity towards the end. Just great. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Watched WandaVision EP 1 and 2. Funny.  Actually well written to throw it back to the sitcoms we all know, but also beginning what appears to be a slow burn to the marvel we know upon completion.  Definitely need to know the context of their relationship from the Avengers movies before understanding the context. I had a good laugh at times during it. 

Castle Rock on Hulu is a Stephen King thriller. It’s pretty good. 
Servant on 🍎+ TV is also really good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watched Snowpiercer? I binged the first season this week before TNT took it off the app. Concept is very interesting. I am into it now, but it’s brutal watching on the TNT app with all the commercials you have to watch. I think it lasts longer than live  TV.  Jennifer Connelly stars, whom I never get tired of watching, but love Sean Bean’s roles. He is so good at being the villain. 

still have a few days to watch if you want. First 5 episodes in 3 days, with the rest of season 1 expiring 2 days later. No it’s not on Hulu unless you have live. 

Edited by AUBwins

On 1/30/2021 at 9:05 PM, AUBwins said:

Anyone watched Snowpiercer? I binged the first season this week before TNT took it off the app. Concept is very interesting. I am into it now, but it’s brutal watching on the TNT app with all the commercials you have to watch. I think it lasts longer than live  TV.  Jennifer Connelly stars, whom I never get tired of watching, but love Sean Bean’s roles. He is so good at being the villain. 

still have a few days to watch if you want. First 5 episodes in 3 days, with the rest of season 1 expiring 2 days later. No it’s not on Hulu unless you have live. 

Loved the movie. Have been curious about the show. Would probably be watching if it was on one of the other streaming services. I don't get to watch everything I want to as it is, though.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Loved the movie. Have been curious about the show. Would probably be watching if it was on one of the other streaming services. I don't get to watch everything I want to as it is, though.

How old is the movie? Yea watching on TNT app pushes it over an hour with the ads. That part is quite excruciating lol. I'm caught up now though so it should be better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

How old is the movie? Yea watching on TNT app pushes it over an hour with the ads. That part is quite excruciating lol. I'm caught up now though so it should be better. 

2013. Directed by Bong Joon-ho, who did Parasite and several other films. Definitely a sci-fi/action-ish flick, but very unique, original and thought-provoking.