Television Shows

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes....... the mailman and Sex Worker are hilarious it can be a little downer at times may even bring a tear or two

Watched the first episode last night. So far, so good. LOVE the creative cursing. It's on the short list for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Well...and you know "me"...my heart went out to her because of the oppression she underwent.  I can't resist a true story...overcomer...even if the "happy ending" is mixed.  I didn't know much about this particular sect of Jewish culture.  We have been blessed to visit NYC many times and on our last trip, a tour of the LowerEastSide and the landmark staples was phenomenal.  Seeing her walk into Berlin knowing the brutality and unspeakability of its history during the Holocaust...memories of touring Mauthausen CC not that long ago...I couldn't get over the courage that, while she was turning her back on the uber-legalistic nature of the community in which she lived, she was embracing her Jewish heritage as she embraced her freedom, if that makes any sense.  I can't stand legalism in any religion...or in anything outside of religion, either.  Inside, I'm too much of a free spirit...

Have you seen it?  I would be really interested in another's take.

No haven't seen it but was interested in your take before I give it a try

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Watched the first episode last night. So far, so good. LOVE the creative cursing. It's on the short list for sure.

It will make you laugh and cry at times. It also gets better as you watch it at least imo. ......always love British humor 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

It will make you laugh and cry at times. It also gets better as you watch it at least imo. ......always love British humor 

I'm one of those "the original 'The Office' was way better" people. I'll keep watching for sure.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

No haven't seen it but was interested in your take before I give it a try

I am learning....I LOVE MOVIES, but I don't watch a lot of TV.  I've been checking out the "limited" mini-series in case I don't like them.  "SelfMade", "Unorthodox", and "People Vs. OJ" all fit that mold.  I think I am afraid of getting hooked into some multiple season something and not getting other things done...because I know myself...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

I am learning....I LOVE MOVIES, but I don't watch a lot of TV.  I've been checking out the "limited" mini-series in case I don't like them.  "SelfMade", "Unorthodox", and "People Vs. OJ" all fit that mold.  I think I am afraid of getting hooked into some multiple season something and not getting other things done...because I know myself...

I don't have that problem...................................I'm retireddddddddddddddddddddd

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wife and I tried it just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will give it another try.

Took about 3 to 4 episodes to get interesting..........was about to pull plug until around 4.

• Like 1

Ok I have been looking for a way to watch the first two seasons of Yellowstone for free. We found that they start replaying season one tomorrow(mother’s day) on the Paramount channel. So if anyone else has lagged behind, set your recorders. 

Halfway through the 6 episodes of "Alias Grace" right now...based on true events...young Irish immigrant sentenced for life for the double-murder of boss and housekeeper...Toronto, 1843. Had me at Irish. Riveting!

So I've gotten trapped on the old Highlander series lol. Loved the first movie but never had watched the series. Amazing how many actors/musicians were on this show. Joan Jett, Roger Daltry. It's cheesy early 90's but a good time so far.

This is old school I highly recommend if you enjoy British shows you should try "Two Fat Ladies" Its a cooking show featuring two older ladies a little overweight who also smoke and drive a motorcycle what they cook if not healthy at all. You never know what will come out of their mouths. I started watching them in the late 80's. 

• Like 1

"Barry" tv series starring Bill Hader.  If you're into binge watching dark humor, I recommend this one.  The premise is a little off the wall:  disillusioned hit man wanting to get out of the business and into acting, but Bill Hader makes it work.  The plot twists results in some LOL absurd situations.  Give it a try.  

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

"Barry" tv series starring Bill Hader.  If you're into binge watching dark humor, I recommend this one.  The premise is a little off the wall:  disillusioned hit man wanting to get out of the business and into acting, but Bill Hader makes it work.  The plot twists results in some LOL absurd situations.  Give it a try.  

Great show. 

HBO released a new streaming service last week, and as a result yanked pretty much all of their shows off of Amazon prime. Pretty frustrating.

They have three services now. HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO Max. Pretty sure they have their reasons, probably contractual, but damn is that isn't a bit confusing.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, AUDub said:

HBO released a new streaming service last week, and as a result yanked pretty much all of their shows off of Amazon prime. Pretty frustrating.

They have three services now. HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO Max. Pretty sure they have their reasons, probably contractual, but damn is that isn't a bit confusing.

Dropped them a couple weeks ago. Will pick HBO Now back up when Succession comes back. Binge that and maybe a couple other things like High Maintenance and then drop it again. 

Watching Dead to Me and After Life (shout out @augolf1716) with Mrs. Loof. Finally started Billions, too. It's fun.

• Like 1

Starting over with The Expanse. Last time around (a few years ago), I just could not get into it. The characters all seemed like cardboard cutouts with hackneyed lines in a predictable set piece. But wifey liked it and says it gets better, So, now about 8 episodes in. I'm trying.

Now that we've dropped cable and saving money by streaming, paying extra for streaming services involves cost justification. So far, after reading all the reviews of HBO Max, we aren't biting. It's really expensive for what they are offering. Unfortunately, they are in a bind. They charge $15 for cable access and the same amount for HBO Max, but with HBO Max they are unable to deliver a lot of their properties due to all the licensing issues of both HBO and Warner Brothers. So the availability of DC universe movies (Batman, etc) is very limited, and so are Warner Bothers series. AT&T has lost their shirt, pants and undies on DirecTV and this HBO Max gambit is going to be a loss leader as well until they sort t all out.

Maybe in the fall we will try the free trial, eat up the second season of Mandalorian (like Star Wars offensively stupid but mildly entertaining) and the new series Perry Mason. But until they launch their GoT spinoffs to good reviews, it's nada for now.

Edited by AURex

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Starting over with The Expanse. Last time around (a few years ago), I just could not get into it. The characters all seemed like cardboard cutouts with hackneyed lines in a predictable set piece. But wifey liked it and says it gets better, So, now about 8 episodes in. I'm trying.

Now that we've dropped cable and saving money by streaming, paying extra for streaming services involves cost justification. So far, after reading all the reviews of HBO Max, we aren't biting. It's really expensive for what they are offering. Unfortunately, they are in a bind. They charge $15 for cable access and the same amount for HBO Max, but with HBO Max they are unable to deliver a lot of their properties due to all the licensing issues of both HBO and Warner Brothers. So the availability of DC universe movies (Batman, etc) is very limited, and so are Warner Bothers series. AT&T has lost their shirt, pants and undies on DirecTV and this HBO Max gambit is going to be a loss leader as well until they sort t all out.

Maybe in the fall we will try the free trial, eat up the second season of Mandalorian (like Star Wars offensively stupid but mildly entertaining) and the new series Perry Mason. But until they launch their GoT spinoffs to good reviews, it's nada for now.

We just dropped HBO Now. Like you, will go back eventually, binge a bunch of stuff, drop it again. At least until the model changes again. But right now, we are loving the a la carte, no contract life.

Do stick with The Expanse. You're right, some of the cinematic aspects of it aren't always perfect. But the material is genius. Like, literal genius. The show has been praised by scientists and geopolitical experts alike as a very good hypothesis on where our world is headed and what a life lived completely in space or on Mars would be like. And I eventually grew to care more about the characters and storylines, to the point that I appreciated the 'drama' as much as the predictive and scientific aspects of it. To me, it's every bit the story that GoT is, without the mind blowing cinematic aspects. 

Watch this one with a solution-minded eye...and with your kids whenever they get the least bit "whiny-why me?"

https://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerous-Ways-School/dp/B07DXZDN9B

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HBO making Watchmen free for the weekend, in honor of Juneteenth. Highly recommend. Still unbelievable that most of the country learned about the Tulsa massacre from this show last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21295677/watchmen-stream-free-hbo-june-19th-juneteenth-damon-lindelof-regina-king-tulsa?fbclid=IwAR34_1GzvBxLFCRLeEW9MluKFBNARZF9EcGJC1buu4InwI1E2KhyTNWJYBs

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched a hell of a show. “ Trials by Media “ on Netflix. The epitome that covers the Richard Scrushy trial is great. I never followed that scandal enough to knock anything and it. I now understand how Don Siegleman got hunted down. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Really been digging Halt and Catch Fire. About to finish the third season. 

That show is so damned good. Is it on Netflix now?