Sean White: All the throws (and a couple of runs)

TitanTiger

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 overthrows. 1 underthrow. Nice low number for both. Good with his legs and smart enough to eat the ball when needed. Yep. Sean had a very nice game and I can't wait to see what he does going forward.

Hes pretty quick on his feet.. Whats his forty time again :D

I think he got a little too excited on those overthrows, but that will get better as the season goes on. 

Hasting's first step will make you leave your shoes. That kid is quick. 

Kerryon's running style is so fluid that you don't realize how fast he is actually moving. 

Too bad we can't throw out the first debacle of a game.  Sean would be the #6 QB in the country based on QBR if we could.  Instead he's #39.

I can't help but think that Jeremy would have benefited greatly from having Davis on the team last year.  That kid is a difference maker.  Last year, that pass would have been a pick.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Too bad we can't throw out the first debacle of a game.  Sean would be the #6 QB in the country based on QBR if we could.  Instead he's #39.

I can't help but think that Jeremy would have benefited greatly from having Davis on the team last year.  That kid is a difference maker.  Last year, that pass would have been a pick.

Its scary, it was his first real game experience. If those receivers catch fire, that run game is going to get real hot. All comes down to the O-line at this point. 

AU can win some games with QB play like that.  White wasn't perfect but he was pretty darn good.  Really like the way he seems to just "know" where his receivers and outlets are under pressure. Take away a couple of slight overthrows and that underthrow and he's pushing towards the stratosphere.  I've been thinking and saying it for a while now: With Sean White being only a redshirt sophomore. AU may well have a starter at QB for three full seasons.  If anyone is gonna replace White, they are gonna have to take the job away 'cause he's not just gonna give it up easily.

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That Kyle Allen is one heck of a receiver. 

I was going to go with when did Kyle Allen transfer to AU & become a black WR as opposed to the white QB he was before.

8 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Its scary, it was his first real game experience. If those receivers catch fire, that run game is going to get real hot. All comes down to the O-line at this point. 

X a one zillion

He is very accurate in the short and middle passing game. Still needs some work with the long ball. I am not sure if it was just young receivers and not great relationship with those guys yet or if it is him. If we see some improvement in the long ball and with the o-line, I don't see how its not us and Uat at the top of the west come iron bowl time.

5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

AU can win some games with QB play like that.  White wasn't perfect but he was pretty darn good.  Really like the way he seems to just "know" where his receivers and outlets are under pressure. Take away a couple of slight overthrows and that underthrow and he's pushing towards the stratosphere.  I've been thinking and saying it for a while now: With Sean White being only a redshirt sophomore. AU may well have a starter at QB for three full seasons.  If anyone is gonna replace White, they are gonna have to take the job away 'cause he's not just gonna give it up easily.

What is scary is that he was as close to perfect as most QBs ever get.  I look at the game and I think "massive room for improvement", then I see a 73.9% completion percentage and I'm like "holy crap".  It didn't look that good on the field. He just needs to work on his long passes and, as long as our line can give him time, we could have a great year.

I still think he better make what he can from this year, because Woody could bring another dimension that beats him out, or if we land Stidham, he could beat him out as well. I really don't think anything short of top 5 qb play guarantees him the #1 slot next year.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What is scary is that he was as close to perfect as most QBs ever get.  I look at the game and I think "massive room for improvement", then I see a 73.9% completion percentage and I'm like "holy crap".  It didn't look that good on the field. He just needs to work on his long passes and, as long as our line can give him time, we could have a great year.

I still think he better make what he can from this year, because Woody could bring another dimension that beats him out, or if we land Stidham, he could beat him out as well. I really don't think anything short of top 5 qb play guarantees him the #1 slot next year.

I get what you're saying about Woody and the rest.  That said, when a coach finds a winner at QB, no matter how good the backup looks in practice, it's often hard to make a change from what's working.  It's up to Sean to continue getting better and to keep playing at a high level. If he does that, someone is really gonna have to take the job away. But if I'm the coach and I have a proven winner in games at QB, the challengers are gonna have to have more than the potential to be better in games to take that job.

1. Thanks for posting, Titan.

2. None of this surprises those of us who paid more attention to his film than to his appearance.

3. I hope some of you who said he doesn't have running instincts paid attention to the various ways he slid, got out of bounds, found a crease, etc. 

4. I highly doubt Sean has anything to fear from Woody Barrett right now. If he stays on the schedule that the other night suggests he's on...

-His first genuine start of the season
-His first healthy start since the Arkansas game last year
-His 5th healthy start ever
-His first real start with several of his WRs
-His first start with this center (I think)

...then I really have a hard time thinking that we're going to significantly re-tool the offense for the 3rd year in a row to accommodate a RS FR/SO with raw passing skills who currently sits 4th string. Stidham might be a different story if the hype is to be believed. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope some of you who said he doesn't have running instincts paid attention to the various ways he slid, got out of bounds, found a crease, etc. 

I loved the long run where he finally went out on the 50.  He was heading back to the middle of the field and you could almost see him hear Gus in his head going "get out of bounds and don't get hurt".

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really have a hard time thinking that we're going to significantly re-tool the offense for the 3rd year in a row

The only thing than makes me think Woody is a significant threat to Sean maintaining his starting position next season if he performs well, but not spectacular, the rest of the year is that we all know that Gus LOVES himself a dual-threat, and if Woody can refine those raw passing skills over the course of the next year, I can't see Gus not salivating.  Even with his running, Sean is still a 1 and a half threat.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

None of this surprises those of us who paid more attention to his film than to his appearance.

Don't you love vindication? 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

The only thing than makes me think Woody is a significant threat to Sean maintaining his starting position next season if he performs well, but not spectacular, the rest of the year is that we all know that Gus LOVES himself a dual-threat, and if Woody can refine those raw passing skills over the course of the next year, I can't see Gus not salivating.  Even with his running, Sean is still a 1 and a half threat.

I hear ya. Sean ain't no Woody physically. I'm just factoring in experience here, especially since Sean will have built a significant rapport with several other young skill players if he stays upright this season. We'll see. 

Don't you love vindication? 

I'm'a be petty as all hell if Sean keeps this up. 

I don't know what y'all so excited about.  Sean missed some throws, he didn't run for 100 yards and Auburn didn't score 60.

Dang Sunshine Pumpers...

I don't remember anyone saying he doesn't have the ability to run, He does and has had that ability. Injuries is what most worried about. I haven't looked at side by side pictures, but SW looks like he has added some muscle to his body in the off season. If so then it will help a lot. SW has always been one who was not afraid of running. I think that is what got him hurt last year. After his return last year I am sure the coaches put a halt to his running. He has the mentality to do it just needed the body and it looks as he might be there. And before anyone goes and quotes his size to me in comparison to other QBs, remember I am talking about body strength not height and weight. If he can stay healthy I think he can do some amazing things. WDE

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't know what y'all so excited about.  Sean missed some throws, he didn't run for 100 yards and Auburn didn't score 60.

Dang Sunshine Pumpers...

Hey, YOU try pumping 'shine while dangling from the jock of a QB who only goes 5'5 150. At least he's slow, though. That cuts down on the swinging. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don't remember anyone saying he doesn't have the ability to run.

You must have been out that week, though we rehashed it earlier this week.  There are several people on here who flat out said Sean couldn't and wouldn't be a running threat.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

SW has always been one who was not afraid of running. I think that is what got him hurt last year.

He actually got hurt getting sacked the first time, and then I believe the later and more egregious of the injuries came from his own big ugly stepping on his foot.

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

After his return last year I am sure the coaches put a halt to his running.

I honestly don't think he could run in the bowl game.  His foot was still injured, as Gus admitted to a week or so ago.

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

If he can stay healthy I think he can do some amazing things.

The potential is there... this weekend with be the first real test of that potential.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Hey, YOU try pumping 'shine while dangling from the jock of a QB who only goes 5'5 150. At least he's slow, though. That cuts down on the swinging. 

ARGH, the IMAGERY.....

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You must have been out that week, though we rehashed it earlier this week.  There are several people on here who flat out said Sean couldn't and wouldn't be a running threat.

He actually got hurt getting sacked the first time, and then I believe the later and more egregious of the injuries came from his own big ugly stepping on his foot.

I honestly don't think he could run in the bowl game.  His foot was still injured, as Gus admitted to a week or so ago.

The potential is there... this weekend with be the first real test of that potential.

Individual points being responded to not necessary for context. Agree on all. Especially the parts about the injuries. The "don't let him run because he got hurt last year" fallacy is one of the silliest of all, not that I think that was EE7's point. 

11 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

why was there even a QB competition?

Because Gus was hoping he would catch lightning in a bottle w/ JF3 as a Nick 2.0 & because Sean had his struggles in Spring & Fall camps. Even though he was the best of the 3 he didn't supremely seperate himself with his play. Lastly I think Gus has that crazy 3 QB system idea conconcted for Clemson a long time ago & nothing or nobody was going to stop him from trying it.

Archived