Potential offensive changes coming

aubiefifty

Does anyone here seriously think our Compliance Dept would ALLOW us to hire Kendall or Art Briles in any capacity?????  Can you imagine the Compliance Dept at Ole Miss telling Freeze he can't hire Trooper Taylor as an assistant or them telling Saban he couldn't do anything?  Amazing how much power they yield at Auburn.  And if we want to be squeaky clean and play by different rules that's a University decision.  But it handicaps the coaches and then we sit around and torch them when we can't compete with bammer and others.  I think it is amazing that for years we competed with bammer, LSU, UGA, etc with this handicap.  Yes we've had good recruiting years, but how many of our starters would start at bammer, LSU, Ohio State?  Looks like we are in a slide and our recruiting this year is suffering because of back-to-back average years in football.  Not sure how many great coaches want to walk into that situation.  When Saban walked in he demanded full authority of the football program with no interference.  I don't think we are ready to give that up to any great coach.  It starts with JJ.  If Gus wanted to hire Kendall and Compliance said no, he should have over ruled them and gone directly to Gogue.  Do you want to have a top notch program or not?  If not, let us know so we can get over it and understand we are going to be a 8-5 team on average.  When does Softball season start?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

More than 2. Dabo, Jimbo, & Harbaugh off the top of the head as well. Stoops may as well.

I guess that's true...though I bet all of them are fired sooner or later......don't see any of them as true dynasty coaches....

3 minutes ago, Hooverwareagle said:

Does anyone here seriously think our Compliance Dept would ALLOW us to hire Kendall or Art Briles in any capacity?????  Can you imagine the Compliance Dept at Ole Miss telling Freeze he can't hire Trooper Taylor as an assistant or them telling Saban he couldn't do anything?  Amazing how much power they yield at Auburn.  And if we want to be squeaky clean and play by different rules that's a University decision.  But it handicaps the coaches and then we sit around and torch them when we can't compete with bammer and others.  I think it is amazing that for years we competed with bammer, LSU, UGA, etc with this handicap.  Yes we've had good recruiting years, but how many of our starters would start at bammer, LSU, Ohio State?  Looks like we are in a slide and our recruiting this year is suffering because of back-to-back average years in football.  Not sure how many great coaches want to walk into that situation.  When Saban walked in he demanded full authority of the football program with no interference.  I don't think we are ready to give that up to any great coach.  It starts with JJ.  If Gus wanted to hire Kendall and Compliance said no, he should have over ruled them and gone directly to Gogue.  Do you want to have a top notch program or not?  If not, let us know so we can get over it and understand we are going to be a 8-5 team on average.  When does Softball season start?

Boom!!

I agree with Ellitor. Let Gus rattle off three straight 10-11 win seasons and two things will happen. First, he will get an exceedingly abundant amount of autonomy. Second, we can stop thinking the answers to all our problems can only be solved by coaches from a scandal plagued program. We would have plenty of scandal free top minds clamoring to come to Auburn. WDE

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Kendall was and is very much on Gus' radar. If Gus had his way he would be o .  the staff now. He was overruled.

a pity

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

agree with Ellitor. Let Gus rattle off three straight 10-11 win seasons and two things will happen. First, he will get an exceedingly abundant amount of autonomy

Or he'd get run off like our great swimming coach.

5 minutes ago, Hooverwareagle said:

If I were Gouge and Gus came into my office and said  " the only way I can win more than 8 games a year is to hire Kendall Briles" ....a young coach with less than two years of OC experience ...I would laugh him out of the office.  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If I were Gouge and Gus came into my office and said  " the only way I can win more than 8 games a year is to hire Kendall Briles" ....a young coach with less than two years of OC experience ...I would laugh him out of the office.  

Kendal is much more than that snipit in his Baylor you cling to. He was also the passing game coordinator the 3 years before that so that's 5 years he had a massive impact on the output of Baylor's offense. And a better passing game schematically is something this team needs to balance out its running.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

you-serious-clark-o.gif

Uhh yeah. That goofy looking kid benefitted from his dad's offensive prowess. Don't want this as our OC unless we want another yes man.

1483040853-Baylor-Assistants-Football.jp

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Is there real evidence that Gus even WANTS Art Briles or is this just on 50% of fans' wish list?

I thought Briles the younger was supposed to be the deal to bring Stidham in and it doesn't appear he was even on Gus' radar.

I suspect Gus' career will live or die with Gus calling the shots...good, bad or ugly.

This.

It's ridiculous that we are still talking about Kendall Briles. 

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Kiffin just made him OC with full play calling duties.  You ever check his Bio out?  Pretty comprehensive for his age.

BIO

Its FAU, man. 

I need to see more success independent of his dad before I want him at Auburn as OC. Getting proven commodities is okay too. I swear it is.

My point is not about KB or AB, just the fact that someone else gets to tell CGM who he can or cannot hire as an asst. coach, consultant, etc....     

5 minutes ago, lala said:

My point is not about KB or AB, just the fact that someone else gets to tell CGM who he can or cannot hire as an asst. coach, consultant, etc....     

More likely who he "can't hire"....there are hundreds of possible candidates out there....and having a couple guys on the "not acceptable" list does not, or should not tie his hands to the extent that he can't be successful.    Everyone has a boss and any coach who does not know that will sooner or later be in trouble. JMO

Teams all over the country are running creative and effective offenses without KB as their OC.....just saying...look around and see who they are. 

We need some new blood that can install a quality passing tree offense.  When was the last time we hit the TE down the middle of the field (we threw two 5 yard passes to our TE both for TD's) or crossing routes or pick plays that everyone else runs?  Maybe I'm wrong and we have a sophisticated passing attack but no QB to throw the ball.  We will find out next season because if Stidham can't bring a passing attack to us it's not a QB issue its an offensive game plan issue.  I don't know if Kendall is that guy, but if Gus can't hire the coaches he wants that is a major problem.  

To be honest, to me it would help greatly, since we are putting all our QB success in the hands of Stidham over the next 2-3 years, to scheme your offense, and make changes that now fit what he knows best (in the passing game). To me that says to either bring in a coach (Briles) who JS is familiar with, or RL better be pouring over game film where Stidham was successful at BAylor, and begin to incorporate those passing techniques and schemes into CGM's offense (do we even have back shoulder passes, seam passes, etc..in our offense and we simply couldnt execute with our current QBs?)

To make JS adapt to our way of executing passes and pass patterns to me will make it that more difficult for him, and could put us in similar problems moving the ball through the air...

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with Ellitor. Let Gus rattle off three straight 10-11 win seasons and two things will happen. First, he will get an exceedingly abundant amount of autonomy. Second, we can stop thinking the answers to all our problems can only be solved by coaches from a scandal plagued program. We would have plenty of scandal free top minds clamoring to come to Auburn. WDE

Three straight 10-11 win seasons? Holy smokes, right now I would settle for winning more conference games than we lose. Gus has won 8 of his last 20. Three straight 10 win seasons indeed. Maybe when pigs fly.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Three straight 10-11 win seasons? Holy smokes, right now I would settle for winning more conference games than we lose. Gus has won 8 of his last 20. Three straight 10 win seasons indeed. Maybe when pigs fly.

The only way Gus is going to save his job is to hire someone who can install a legitimate passing game to his offense. If that is some guy named Briles, or Smith, or Jones I really don't care.

Gus may have to try and hire Art as a consultant. I can't imagine he'd be allowed to hire him in any big time position, especially OC. 

I have to say I was very impressed with Lincoln Riley.  He definitely had more weapons to work with, but he had 'em prepared with a solid game plan and used the skill players effectively. 

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Kendall was and is very much on Gus' radar. If Gus had his way he would be o .  the staff now. He was overruled.

Okay, I'm guessing this falls into the world of AD's & Boosters but here goes...

Who overruled the Head Coach?

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

HC's have bosses they answer to and their bosses have to comply with others as well

This is an interesting tidbit as to WHY Gus was hired, I guess.

I'm no insider but it seems to me, the HC at a MAJOR P5 program should pretty much have no "boss" when it comes to "Football Decisions".  Interesting.... Not in a good way.

This is what JJ means when he says someone is a "good fit" at Auburn (i.e. they know their role and follow orders).  Kind of like if you take the Cowboys head coaching job, you're gonna do what Jerry says.  If you're good enough, you don't have to take that nonsense so you'll work somewhere else.  Bottom line, have it put in your contract if it's important too you, or if not, shut up and do as you're told.

7 hours ago, Hooverwareagle said:

If Gus wanted to hire Kendall and Compliance said no, he should have over ruled them and gone directly to Gogue.

You have not been paying attention.  Jay Gogue has absolutely zero interest in what goes on in the athletic department, and I for one am eagerly awaiting his retirement.  Our current circumstance is exactly why many miss the good old days when Bobby Lowder was in control.  Jay Jacobs would have been a distant memory by now.  

Archived