Offense clicking, making in game adjustments

WDE_OxPx_2010

VERY good read about play calling Saturday vs aTm. If we're really making these kinds of changes in game and we keep the play calling open, we have a chance against UGA and Bama. (PLUS WE SAW OUR VERY FIRST SLANT!!!)

Link

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn made the right calls with his staff after a slow start in Aggieland.

Ferg’s Film Room: How Auburn’s offense finally adjusted in-game and soared past Texas A&M

By Justin Ferguson    Auburn Beat Reporter 
November 6, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. — Welcome back to Ferg’s Film Room on SEC Country, a deeper breakdown of the stats and the strategy of Auburn football.

After red-hot starts on offense in each of its first five SEC games, Auburn hit the second quarter at Texas A&M with zero points and a lot of frustration. In its two road losses earlier this season against Clemson and LSU, Auburn’s offense never recovered when it stalled.

But that changed in College Station. Gus Malzahn, Chip Lindsey and Auburn’s offensive staff made several key adjustments both in personnel and play-calling. After ending the first quarter trailing, Auburn scored 28 unanswered points en route to a 42-27 win over the Aggies.

This week’s Film Room takes a look at what changed for Auburn between its slow first quarter and its strong second and third quarters. The decision-making, explosiveness and balance after the slow start came at a perfect time for an offense that needs all of its available firepower in its last two SEC games against undefeated rivals Georgia and Alabama.

Viewing Auburn’s offensive game in drive groups

Auburn ran 15 plays on its first three offensive drives of the game — none of which netted any points. The Tigers made two key personnel moves and changed up its play-calling after those drives.

Auburn ran 17 plays on its next two drives, then 15 on its next four drives, then 13 on its next two drives before the 13-play, clock-melting touchdown drive in the fourth quarter that killed off the game.

Group 1: 16 plays on three drives
Group 2: 17 plays on two drives
Group 3: 15 plays on four drives
Group 4: 12 plays on two drives
There are four distinct groups of possessions with play numbers in the teens, so let’s view Auburn’s offensive performance through those lenses.

Auburn football-Gus Malzahn-Kevin Sumlin-Texas A&M
Kevin Sumlin (right) got the best of Gus Malzahn early in their showdown Saturday. (Bob Levey/Getty Images)
Group 1: Playing safe and playing hurt

In the first quarter, Auburn averaged less than 4 yards per snap and went 1-for-4 on third downs. The Tigers didn’t score a single point, as they had a fake field goal called back for holding and then had the ensuing attempt blocked.

On those first three drives, Auburn kept it simple. Jarrett Stidham never attempted a pass more than 10 yards in the air, and all but one of the Tigers’ runs went right up the middle.

Middle run: 5
Short pass (<10 yards): 5
Sack: 2
Outside run: 2
Scramble: 1
Checkdown: 1
Auburn’s longest play of this drive came on a tunnel screen to Ryan Davis that went for 35 yards. Take away that one play, and Auburn averaged just 1.87 yards per snap in the first quarter.

Runs: 10 for 7 yards (0.7 per carry)
Passes: 6-for-6 for 56 (9.33 per attempt, 4.2 per attempt without screen pass)
The Tigers averaged less than 1 yard per run with the adjustment for sack yardage. The only run of more than 3 yards was called back for holding on Nate Craig-Myers. Stidham was sacked twice and was forced to scramble on third-and-long at one point.

The root of all of these issues was on the offensive line. Left guard Mike Horton attempted to make a comeback from an ankle injury, but he was shaky all throughout the first three drives. He was wobbly out of his stance on the first sack on Stidham and allowed pressure on his short scramble.

Right tackle Darius James, who has struggled with multiple injury layoffs this season, also had a tough time playing through the pain. He was beaten rather easily on the second sack on Stidham.

With a beaten-up offensive line and a rather vanilla game plan of short throws and RPO handoffs up the middle, Texas A&M’s aggressive defensive front feasted on the Tigers.

Group 2: Changing it up

Instead of sticking to the same plan away from home — just like it did in losses to Clemson and LSU earlier this season — Auburn came out of the second quarter with multiple changes on offense.

First, Horton and James were replaced by Marquel Harrell and Prince Tega Wanogho, respectively. Wanogho went to left tackle, while Austin “Mr. Versatility” Golson switched to right tackle. It was the right move for Auburn, but it was still a gamble. Wanogho struggled in pass protection when he was a starter earlier in the season, and Texas A&M already had hit the Tigers for 2 sacks.

Wanogho stepped up to the occasion, as Texas A&M didn’t have a single sack and just one more quarterback hurry the rest of the way. Harrell also performed well, as he made an instant impact with a nice pull block on the first drive he played.

But Auburn didn’t stay static in the running game behind that revamped offensive line. Kam Martin started the fourth drive for Auburn at running back, immediately taking a pair of shotgun toss plays for good gains against a Texas A&M defense that was focused on stopping the Tigers up the middle.

Auburn also got more creative in the passing game after those early struggles. The fourth drive of the game was capped by a rare sight — a touchdown pass from Stidham in a short-yardage, red-zone situation. Auburn’s rushing threat kept Texas A&M off-balance with a pair of fakes on the easy toss to Kerryon Johnson from Stidham.

On the fifth drive, Auburn got a quick first down, but the drive stalled shortly after that. The Tigers just missed on its first deep shot of the game, though, after hitting an intermediate route for the first time on the previous possession. A botched snap put Auburn well behind the chains, too.

Middle run: 6
Short pass: 4
Outside run: 3
Intermediate pass (10-20 yards): 1
Deep pass (20-plus yards): 1
Scramble: 1
Mishandled snap: 1

But the variety in play-calling paid off as Auburn moved past its first-quarter woes.

Runs: 9 for 56 (7.0 per carry)
Passes: 4-for-6 for 32 (5.3 per attempt)
Group 3: Finally making it work down the field

Auburn’s sixth drive of the game will look like a complete failure in the box score. The Tigers went three-and-out with 3 incompletions on that drive and punted the ball back to a Texas A&M team gradually getting momentum.

But here’s what happened on those three plays: Ryan Davis dropped a 5-yard hitch on a half-rollout play that was successful earlier in the game, Stidham overthrew a 40-yard fly to Darius Slayton, and Stidham misfired on a 10-yard dig to Slayton that would’ve easily moved the chains.

Auburn didn’t go into a shell, though, after failing to execute on that three-and-out. After a few successful running plays on the next drive — aided by the increasing threat of the pass — the determination to keep drawing up deep-ball chances finally paid off when Slayton caught a 53-yard touchdown from Stidham.

Auburn’s heavier set and play-action gave Slayton a 1-on-1 matchup with no safety help over the middle. After beating his defender and making a great adjustment in the middle of his route, he was there to catch a nice ball from Stidham.

Auburn fell victim to a drop from Sal Cannella and a bad reversed spot on its first drive out of halftime, but it wrapped up this four-drive set with another touchdown on the following possession.

Much like it did on the two touchdown drives in the second quarter, Auburn attacked Texas A&M with pace. Stidham hit Eli Stove for an incredibly quick RPO screen on the first play of the drive.

With Texas A&M reeling, Stidham quickly snapped the ball on the next play and kept it on an RPO. Thanks to some patience and blocking help from Chandler Cox — who had one of his best games as a Tiger — he got Auburn into the red zone in a hurry.

Auburn finished this four-drive set by passing in the red zone instead of running it. The Tigers had an emphasis on mixing it up in the red zone during this game, and this perfect combination on the outside gave Stidham his second short-yardage touchdown pass.

This was a pass-heavy grouping for the Tigers, as they went to the air twice as many times as they kept it on the ground.

Short pass: 5
Outside run: 3
Intermediate pass: 2
Deep pass: 2
Middle run: 2
Fly sweep pass: 1
But in terms of how many yards the Tigers were getting per snap, this group was incredibly balanced and explosive, as this sequence of drives turned a tight game into a rout.

Runs: 5 for 48 (9.6 per carry)
Passes: 6-for-10 for 97 (9.7 per attempt)
Group 4: Another deep ball and a new route

Auburn’s defense came through with a 3-and-out on the ensuing Texas A&M possession, and the Aggies punted the ball off of their own helmets to give Auburn great field position.

On the second play of the drive, Auburn dialed up another deep ball connection from Stidham to Slayton. This was a pro throw from Stidham, and it was arguably the prettiest one he’s had at Auburn.

Stidham put in the ideal spot — Slayton beat the cornerback, but Texas A&M had a safety coming over the top. Put it too close to the middle, and it could’ve been picked off. Put it too close to the outside, and it could’ve easily been another misfire. Instead, Stidham dropped it in there with a perfect spiral. Watch the rotation of the ball in flight.

Auburn’s balance gave it the opportunity to hit big plays against Texas A&M’s defense both on the ground and through the air on its 28-0 run in the middle quarters.

Middle run: 6
Short pass: 2
Outside run: 2
Deep pass: 2
And, finally, here’s the per-play breakdown:

Runs: 8 for 33 (4.13 per carry)
Passes: 2-for-4 for 63 (15.75 per attempt)

While the next possession stalled out with a couple of misfires from Stidham, he was on the money with a pass that Auburn has been lacking this season — a short-yardage angle route from Davis on third-and-7 that Texas A&M had no chance covering.

Play-calling tweaks and new concepts like this one from offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey after a slow start should give Auburn fans some hope heading into the Georgia and Alabama games.

The biggest knock on Malzahn and his assistants has been in-game offensive adjustments, but they made them Saturday in College Station. If they can keep that going against elite opponents, Auburn has a real chance to make some serious noise in November.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction but it came against a very average team.

Gus' meltdowns have come against elite competition and in pressure situations.

Has he learned his lesson about in-game adjustments? We will find out these next games against UGA and Bama when the pressure is really on. His job depends on it.

Loved reading this.

But lets see what happens this Saturday. In the big, important games Gus only trusts himself -- which is comical because I think everyone here trusts anyone BUT him in big games.

But if he can be the HC and let his assistants do their job with these types of adjustments happening in-game we can be a force! I'll have to see it to believe in it though.

OK my memory is not the best, but have we rolled out Stidham much this year? The one thing I noticed watching the Alabama-LSU game the other day is LSUs QB burned them on rollout passes plenty of times. Obviously just dropping back against Bama (or Georgia) too any great extent is not too wise.

38 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

OK my memory is not the best, but have we rolled out Stidham much this year? The one thing I noticed watching the Alabama-LSU game the other day is LSUs QB burned them on rollout passes plenty of times. Obviously just dropping back against Bama (or Georgia) too any great extent is not too wise.

Yes there have been a few roll-out passes, but rollouts are not common with the zone protection by the OL.  Someone may correct me if I am wrong there, but that is the way I understand it.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Loved reading this.

But lets see what happens this Saturday. In the big, important games Gus only trusts himself -- which is comical because I think everyone here trusts anyone BUT him in big games.

But if he can be the HC and let his assistants do their job with these types of adjustments happening in-game we can be a force! I'll have to see it to believe in it though.

You and me both, brother.  You and me both.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Hey Change is possible. Eternal Optimist here. Don't disappoint Gus!

I want to believe!  Just double-checking...

Do you mean, "Don't disappoint Gus!" or "Don't disappoint, Gus!"  :Sing:

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I want to believe!  Just double-checking...

Do you mean, "Don't disappoint Gus!" or "Don't disappoint, Gus!"  :Sing:

Damn Oxford comma 

wow! i thoroughly enjoyed reading that article! the ability of the offense to do any "in-game" adjustments even at half time has been a glaring weakness of this team for a few years now! Could Gus really be growing as a head coach and/or at least letting his assistants do their jobs? Could the "Gustard" really pull this thing out and at least beat one of these teams? hmmm,,,,, ok pass me that pitcher of kool-aid over here again for the 3rd time now,,,, i'll have another swig! War eagle! 

We need Gus to learn to make some Ted Roof style in game adjustments.

I swear he didn't scout the opponent during the week ahead, just during the first half of each game then put his plan together. LOL 

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I swear he didn't scout the opponent during the week ahead, just during the first half of each game then put his plan together. LOL 

That could be...:)...but I'm guessing about every OC tries to come in with a game plan that is not based on what they showed the previous week.....which I guess has been a strength of Gus and his famous scripted openings.  Problem has been that once Act I of the script has been played.....there has not been much of an Act II. 

It would be nice for our defense (and offense) not to wait until halftime to react to problems.   The decision to re-arrange the OL last week was nice to see....did it in the first half....and hoping that's a trend going forward. 

23 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

That guy.  So glad he jumped ship to GA Tech.  I don't know why Tech wants him, but then again Tech is happy with a below average coach.  And I say that as someone who wants to see Tech be good at football

I've been on the fire Gus bus for two years after that opening embarrassment to Clemson last year.

Having said that, I did see some improvement in play calling against A&M. We broke several tendencies by throwing to the flat, hitting quick slants, screen to RB, QB keeps, RPO, and throwing to the tight end. 

Haters gonna hate, but facts are facts. 

I may not like Gus, but I will give cred where due. 

I am more concerned with special teams and defensive regression at this point.

My concerns may change after Saturday. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

The first half wasn't his defense. That was Chizik's meddling.

47 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I've been on the fire Gus bus for two years after that opening embarrassment to Clemson last year.

Having said that, I did see some improvement in play calling against A&M. We broke several tendencies by throwing to the flat, hitting quick slants, screen to RB, QB keeps, RPO, and throwing to the tight end. 

Haters gonna hate, but facts are facts. 

I may not like Gus, but I will give cred where due. 

I am more concerned with special teams and defensive regression at this point.

My concerns may change after Saturday. We shall see. 

Bingo 78....For some reason have a feeling that Saturday night in Auburn will be a happy one

11 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

Never have understood the Roof hate.

CTR is a good DC. 

For me at least, Ted Roof prefers smaller defensive guys and employs the "Bend but don't break" rule.  That rule makes the defense reactive, not proactive.  A good example of his defense is the Georgia Tech-Tennessee game this year.  That defense costed Georgia Tech the game unfortunately.  

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For me at least, Ted Roof prefers smaller defensive guys and employs the "Bend but don't break" rule.  That rule makes the defense reactive, not proactive.

You just described Chizik's D perfectly. Roof has always been known as an attacking high risk high reward DC.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You just described Chizik's D perfectly. Roof has always been known as an attacking high risk high reward DC.

True, along with Ellis Johnson to a degree.  I just was never all that impressed with Ted Roof, nor have my GT family members.  Nothing personal against the guy, just my preference.  Very pleased with our current defensive situation however.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The first half wasn't his defense. That was Chizik's meddling.

Which I never understood considering his success as a DC. 

I was was watching the clips of the 2010 season and the 2007 Florida game, trying to hype myself up to believe we can win. I will say some of those guys, especially the WR's played with an edge/chip on their shoulders. 

Archived