Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

rember the Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller, Jerry Stubbs, Austin Idol..........oh the memories

Yup. And something else that whoever has edited Arn Anderson’s Wikipedia page got wrong. Arn Anderson was the original Mr. Olympia. Also I was asked about the best stables of all time and as far as I know the Studd Stable is the original wrestling stable so they are on my mount Rushmore of stables. 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. And something else that whoever has edited Arn Anderson’s Wikipedia page got wrong. Arn Anderson was the original Mr. Olympia. Also I was asked about the best stables of all time and as far as I know the Studd Stable is the original wrestling stable so they are on my mount Rushmore of stables. 

The locker rooms would clear and they would cut in the middle making sure you'd tune in next week..........have managed to catch some on youtube.......man the memories.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Oooo........left out Norvell Austin........"THE" originial Junk Yard Dog. 

48 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Oooo........left out Norvell Austin........"THE" originial Junk Yard Dog. 

I don't remember him. My peak times watching the promotion was between 1982-88.

On Austin Idol, I plan on tweeting Paul Hayman & Jerry "The King" Lawler around sometime in January to ask them to get in Vince's ear about putting him in the Hall Of Fame. Heyman (then Paul E. Dangerously) was his manager & Idol had a legendary feud with Lawler. I think 1 national wrestling publication named it feud of the year. As boisterous as GWill is I think he would have loved some old school Austin Idol promos.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't remember him. My peak times watching the promotion was between 1982-88.

On Austin Idol, I plan on tweeting Paul Hayman & Jerry "The King" Lawler around sometime in January to ask them to get in Vince's ear about putting him in the Hall Of Fame. Heyman (then Paul E. Dangerously) was his manager & Idol had a legendary feud with Lawler. I think 1 national wrestling publication named it feud of the year. As boisterous as GWill is I think he would have loved some old school Austin Idol promos.

You sir found a good one........much respect for your wrestling knowledge........oh and football too...........not many remember that era of greats........Cheif Wahoo McDaniel, Ricky Steamboat,Ernie"Big Cat"Ladd❤

So pumped for AEW tonight.  I just know it's going to be fun.  Like it being on Saturday too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

You sir found a good one........much respect for your wrestling knowledge........oh and football too...........not many remember that era of greats........Cheif Wahoo McDaniel, Ricky Steamboat,Ernie"Big Cat"Ladd❤

They were all great but Austin Idol was my favorite. He was my Ric Flair before I knew Ric Flair existed. In Mobile at the time we had 4 channels & no cable. Before WWE started their national Saturday show all I had was Gulf Coast Wrestling & WCCW from Texas. Another interesting note about Austin Idol is Hulk Hogan has said a number of times Idol was a big influence on his early career as the Hulkster started his career on the Gulf Coast.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So pumped for AEW tonight.  I just know it's going to be fun.  Like it being on Saturday too. 

Is it true JR returns to the mic.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

They were all great but Austin Idol was my favorite. He was my Ric Flair before I knew Ric Flair existed. In Mobile at the time we had 4 channels & no cable. Before WWE started their national Saturday show all I had was Gulf Coast Wrestling & WCCW from Texas. Another interesting note about Austin Idol is Hulk Hogan has said a number of times Idol was a big influence on his early career as the Hulkster started his career on the Gulf Coast.

Yessss.........Mobile also..........I may be mistaken Hogan may have wrestled some as Terry The Hulk Boulder or something like that..........Started watching around 1977..........Cowboy Bob Kelley was finishing his career and The Islanders were tag team champs...........Same here with Idol ❤ him.........Who could forget the Las Vegas leg lock an his signature knuckle to the temple.

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Is it true JR returns to the mic.

He just showed up!

• Love 1

That triple threat women’s match delivered as it went on. 👍 

That was a heck of a show.  Just so entertaining, and refreshing. Just let them create and they will perform.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, AUBwins said:

That was a heck of a show.  Just so entertaining, and refreshing. Just let them create and they will perform.

I thought it was fine for what it was.  Only one, maybe two angles got advanced.  The show in two weeks will hopefully be a bigger deal in setting up feuds.

Also, the unprotected head shot to Cody was really stupid.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also, the unprotected head shot to Cody was really stupid.

Yes it was.  That match had a lot of questionable actions.  Like the guy free falling, his back nailing the apron.  That prompted the Holy Ish post above.  

It was not nearly as good as Double or Nothing but did have several moments that got me to move in the chair I was sitting in. The Street Fighter 6 man tag match was electric. I love watching Lucha Bros as much as the Young Bucks.  They compliment each other well.  The librarians match sucked.

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yes it was.  That match had a lot of questionable actions.  Like the guy free falling, his back nailing the apron.  That prompted the Holy Ish post above.  

It was not nearly as good as Double or Nothing but did have several moments that got me to move in the chair I was sitting in. The Street Fighter 6 man tag match was electric. I love watching Lucha Bros as much as the Young Bucks.  They compliment each other well.  The librarians match sucked.

That's just Darby Allin.  He does that stuff all the time.  Dude is kind of nuts.  Look up his MLW stuff.

As for Leva Bates, it's sad because she's usually better.  Her schtick right now is awful.  On the indies she would cosplay a different character or person every night.  Was a fun gimmick.  You may remember her as the short lived Blue Pants from NXT a few years ago.

Yea,  I like that dude. 

The gimmicks were probably the part of the show I didn't like.  They really showed things down early in the show, I suppose it was just during the buy in.  It lost momentum it built from the matches. 

On 6/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, AUBwins said:

That triple threat women’s match delivered as it went on. 👍 

Yup! I really like the 2 Japanese girls in the match. I still think AEW is missing a cornerstone woman for that division.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, Brad_ATX said:

As for Leva Bates, it's sad because she's usually better.  Her schtick right now is awful.  On the indies she would cosplay a different character or person every night.  Was a fun gimmick.  You may remember her as the short lived Blue Pants from NXT a few years ago.

Also Allie was just hitting her stride in Impact with her Dark Allie gimmick. I wish they brought elements of that over. Allie needs Rosemary either as an ally or rival. Their careers have had a dynamic relationship together the past 5 or 6 year. There's actually a DVD collection about their feud in the indies before they signed with Impact. AEW needs to sign Rosemary when her contract is up with Impact next February.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also Allie was just hitting her stride in Impact with her Dark Allie gimmick. I wish they brought elements of that over. Allie needs Rosemary either as an ally or rival. Their careers have had a dynamic relationship together the past 5 or 6 year. There's actually a DVD collection about their feud in the indies before they signed with Impact. AEW needs to sign Rosemary when her contract is up with Impact next February.

I love Rosemary, but do wonder how many folks AEW will actually sign.  Khan has made it clear that the person has to be the right fit for them to offer a contract.  I actually love that, but it puts a damper on the everyone to AEW train.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yup! I really like the 2 Japanese girls in the match. I still think AEW is missing a cornerstone woman for that division.

You mentioned her in an earlier conversation but Shayna Baszler seems like a great fit.