***2018 NSD Thread (Feb 7th)***

aujeff11

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

and recruiting is only going to get harder now. Man I long for the days of mark richt in georgia! lol We were usually good at a monty adams, carl lawson and derrick Brown every couple of years!

We got Derrick Brown when Smart was already the coach at UGA for what it's worth.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

We got Derrick Brown when Smart was already the coach at UGA for what it's worth.

Yea... but that was before he had a full year to implement his "system". Now that the world has seen what he can do, we'll see how everyone responds next year.

5 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

So clearly, Kirby's parents never taught him how to share.....

Never had to share because he had no friends to play with. O SICK BURN!! I know lol

• Haha 1

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly; being we have to play them both within 3 weeks and possibly again in the SEC Championship if we make it there. We have to start establishing depth at key positions. Yes, that starts with recruiting but it also involves getting players more live reps during the soft parts of our schedule; not waiting until guys get hurt. 

This and we have to identify elite talent , 5* Kids, and be relentless.  We can't just recruit good players that we think we have a chance of signing.  If you have ever watched Kirby speak at a coaching clinic he is an alpha dog mentality.  He makes kids want to play for him.  If you are in a bar room fight do you want to side with the skinny kid talking about family or do you want to be with the alpha dog?  Somewhere on our staff we need 1 coach like this.  A younger Garner if you will.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

that is fair. And that is why Derrick Brown is even more special to us than he already was! The pics of him on his georgia OV are priceless. He looked to be MISERABLE! lol

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and recruiting is only going to get harder now. Man I long for the days of mark richt in georgia! lol We were usually good at a monty adams, carl lawson and derrick Brown every couple of years!

Yep. Our job has certainly gotten a lot harder. Not saying we don't have a shot b/c I'm fine with our class. I've never had any issues with our recruiting classes. We just have to start developing and utilizing that talent better consistently b/c it's clear that we have enough talent to beat both teams. I'm of the belief that if a program can consistently recruit at a top 15 or top 10 level then they can beat anyone. It's all about what the coaches do with those classes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

This and we have to identify elite talent , 5* Kids, and be relentless.  We can't just recruit good players that we think we have a chance of signing.  If you have ever watched Kirby speak at a coaching clinic he is an alpha dog mentality.  He makes kids want to play for him.  If you are in a bar room fight do you want to side with the skinny kid talking about family or do you want to be with the alpha dog?  Somewhere on our staff we need 1 coach like this.  A younger Garner if you will.

This is why we can have NO DEAD WEIGHT recruiter positions on staff. We cannot afford to. Sacrifice some coaching and roll the dice with a recruiter. We have to suit up as much as we can.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

If you are in a bar room fight do you want to side with the skinny kid talking about family or do you want to be with the alpha dog?  Somewhere on our staff we need 1 coach like this.  A younger Garner if you will.

I thought T-Will was our Alpha Dog.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Key word right there. Gus seemed to have it for a minute. Not sure what happened. 

This Quay Walker thing feels like a 100% alpha move. Justin Fields, stealing a 5* LB from Jim Harbaugh on NSD... alpha, alpha, alpha. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yep. Our job has certainly gotten a lot harder. Not saying we don't have a shot b/c I'm fine with our class. I've never had any issues with our recruiting classes. We just have to start developing and utilizing that talent better consistently b/c it's clear that we have enough talent to beat both teams. I'm of the belief that if a program can consistently recruit at a top 15 or top 10 level then they can beat anyone. It's all about what the coaches do with those classes. 

For us dabo and clemson is the blue print. AKA DL AND QB!!!!! Like Gary Danielson said. If you do not have a good QB when you play bama then do not even bother showing up. you have no chance. We have to keep hitting and developing our QBs.

• Like 2

This is why we can have NO DEAD WEIGHT recruiter positions on staff. We cannot afford to. Sacrifice some coaching and roll the dice with a recruiter. We have to suit up as much as we can.

Have to disagree here... ex: Hand. You need a balance. Here's hoping we've either found that balance or will very soon.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He and Woodson may be our only Alpha's  on the recruiting trail compared to uga and spuat. But unfortunately, both uga and spuat have a real alpha dog as a HC.  We have Gus.  That is a huge problem considering those two schools are our biggest rivals. 

wde

Edited by AUIH1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Garner is a alpha. SO is T will. Marcus Woodson seems like one also. But it means A lot more when the head of the program exudes that. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Gus seemed to have it for a minute. Not sure what happened.

It was an illusion. Gus is an introvert. Any Alpha you see from him is an act.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Have to disagree here... ex: Hand. You need a balance. Here's hoping we've either found that balance or will very soon.

Well hand was not even doing his job when it came to recruiting so he was even more dead weight lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Garner is a alpha. SO is T will. Marcus Woodson seems like one also. But it means A lot more when the head of the program exudes that. 

Then we aren't going to have that for a while, because Gus doesn't have the personality to be an Alpha, and you can't change someone's core personality.

• Like 1

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't understand why we are almost never in it early for any 5* elite talent while schools like UGA, who is not a bigger national brand than us, can get kids from everywhere that are top 30 players in the country.  The world is not ending but we have to step up our game to play UGA and Bama and then UGA again if we are going to be successful.  We can't just keep doing what we are doing because that crap in Athens isn't going to stop anytime soon.  I will try to spend the rest of my day being happy about our class and ignore the earthquake tremor happening 20 miles down the road.

10 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Did Kirby give a blood sacrifice or something?? They are DESTROYING everyone else right now..

Honestly if I can give my two cents, it’s all about that mentality of staying home and putting on for the state school. I don’t know much about what it feels like to be a high school recruit, but I do know what the culture is like in these smaller GA counties that a lot of these guys are coming from. People here in GA, especially south GA, are life long GA fans, other schools do not exist.  God and UGA football. I think what Richt missed was getting these “Down South Georgia Boys” to commit to that idea of being a “DSGB” and playing for the Dawgs. Kirby, however, is from Bainbridge, GA. He himself is a DSGB. He can sell that mentality to any of them because he comes from it. Now that he’s been able to sell it to a few of them those few have been able to sell it to a few more and so on and so forth. It basically sold itself, almost like shooting fish in a barrel. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this is the case. I just know how these southern GA residents are. It’s UGA or nothing. To me as an Auburn fan I could care less about the appeal of this DSGB mentality, frankly I don’t understand it. However, it’s a HUGE thing that exist in south/middle GA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

Thank you, I was getting tired of reading the word "Alpha."

Omega

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

Beta better? lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3190-1390507379-4.g

Too much whine in here

One glass a day is recommended. Don't think size of the glass was ever mentioned. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I was getting tired of the word UGA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree that Garner is an alpha when motivated, but he is getting old

wde