***2018 NSD Thread (Feb 7th)***

aujeff11

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I agree that Garner is an alpha when motivated, but he is getting old

wde

well he has to be like 10 years younger than saban right. And that allergic to height guy does not seem close to slowing down.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3190-1390507379-4.g

Too much whine in here

Stick around long enough and we'll get your feathers ruffled, too. Now pass that vino over here. It's after lunch and I'm thirsty. 

You gotta admit, though. We play both of these teams every year. They're both in our conference and they're our main 2 rivals. Nobody can claim a rivalry like the IB, much less the IB and the DSOR. One has been recruiting at a historic level for 10 years, and they just passed the baton to the other one. I'm usually not given to whining, but man, this is not fun.

23 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Kids dont want their free Mercedes for going to Alabama, They want straight cash from UGA.

I'd love to know what Texas, Penn State, and are paying out because they are kicking ass too.

Getting close guys!!!!! less than 30 minutes from now. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this would really REALLLLLLLLLLLLY bring so much joy to us today. PLEAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Garner is a alpha. SO is T will. Marcus Woodson seems like one also. But it means A lot more when the head of the program exudes that. 

Why I wanted Kiffin after the LSU game and still want him if we need a new coach. Hoping LSU doesnt get their hands on him.

Are there any stories floating around out there about how an eventual AU commit/signee trolled another school's fanbase?

It seems like it happens to us frequently. UT obviously got a dose of it today. I'm sure it happens all the time, but I don't remember ever hearing about an Auburn commit being disrespectful to another school - but I could just be living in an AU bubble.

I've been thinking about this today. If I were a coach, I like to think I'd tell recruits to avoid that sort of disrespectful showmanship at a signing/commitment ceremony, that they should be graceful in acknowledging the schools and coaches that recruited them, and thank them, but state their intention to attend X university - or if they're unable to handle it like that, take their show somewhere else.

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not think Dabo is that great of a coach either but man he is a great motivator, ceo AND RECRUITER. When you have talent you do not have to be bill snyder with the x's and o's.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I thought T-Will was our Alpha Dog.

T-Will is an Auburn Man and a damn good one.  He is also a good recruiter.  You need to see butt cut Kirby speak in person away from the cameras to see what I am talking about.  As a head coach and a closer to go into a kids home he is everything that Gus isn't personality wise.  Gus is a much better person and does not use the language and aggressiveness Kirby does.  I would want Gus raising my kid and I would want Kirby coaching my kid if that makes sense. 

• Like 3

Just now, keesler said:

I'd love to know what Texas, Penn State, and are paying out because they are kicking ass too.

Nothing more than we are.

Just now, keesler said:

We all knew Herman was going to kick ass in recruiting though. He just has that IT factor and personality that connects with recruits. You could tell from his days at houston he would be a elite recruiter. They got the right guy for the job. James Franklin is a great recruiter to. Common denominator is great recruiting head coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, looney said:

Are there any stories floating around out there about how an eventual AU commit/signee trolled another school's fanbase?

It seems like it happens to us frequently. UT obviously got a dose of it today. I'm sure it happens all the time, but I don't remember ever hearing about an Auburn commit being disrespectful to another school - but I could just be living in an AU bubble.

I've been thinking about this today. If I were a coach, I like to think I'd tell recruits to avoid that sort of disrespectful showmanship at a signing/commitment ceremony, that they should be graceful in acknowledging the schools and coaches that recruited them, and thank them, but state their intention to attend X university - or if they're unable to handle it like that, take their show somewhere else.

I know that our coaching staff discourages that kind of thing. Doesn't mean the kids listen, but they discourage it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Getting close guys!!!!! less than 30 minutes from now. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this would really REALLLLLLLLLLLLY bring so much joy to us today. PLEAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Who are you talking about?

23 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly; being we have to play them both within 3 weeks and possibly again in the SEC Championship if we make it there. We have to start establishing depth at key positions. Yes, that starts with recruiting but it also involves getting players more live reps during the soft parts of our schedule; not waiting until guys get hurt. 

Cutting down on freaking attrition will help that depth issue tremendously IMO.

And before someone pipes in that our attrition is normal and on par with our conference brethren......When we don't bring in the top talent compared to our main rivals on the front end, then when we lose players to attrition it hurts us even more than them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This and we have to identify elite talent , 5* Kids, and be relentless.  We can't just recruit good players that we think we have a chance of signing.  If you have ever watched Kirby speak at a coaching clinic he is an alpha dog mentality.  He makes kids want to play for him.  If you are in a bar room fight do you want to side with the skinny kid talking about family or do you want to be with the alpha dog?  Somewhere on our staff we need 1 coach like this.  A younger Garner if you will.

I can mostly agree with that. I think T-Will is pretty aggressive in that way. I'm of the belief that a coach can motivate in different ways and be successful. I certainly see Kirby having that mentality to fire up his players and stand with them through thick and thin. He doesn't belittle or place all the blame on his guys like Saban. He clearly goes to bat for his guys aggressively. But the same time a coach like Urban Meyer isn't a firey HC but highly successful. Players have to believe in their leader; no matter what style they may utilize. 

I don't mind us talking about the "family" aspect b/c that's what largely makes Auburn a great place. Many recruits have commented on having a family atmosphere as a key point in their recruiting. It's time for us to add being consistent contenders for championships to our selling point. Can't continue to be so up and down. IMO until we can stop having mental brain farts in games we should absolutely win against better teams then we are likely not to get the elite 5* guys on a consistent basis. But personally, i'm fine with the *4 and some 3* guys sprinkled in b/c at the end of the day they all have to be developed. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We all knew Herman was going to kick ass in recruiting though. He just has that IT factor and personality that connects with recruits. You could tell from his days at houston he would be a elite recruiter. They got the right guy for the job. James Franklin is a great recruiter to. Common denominator is great recruiting head coaches. 

Frost is looking like that kind of guy, too. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

And before someone pipes in that our attrition is normal and on par with our conference brethren......When we don't bring in the top talent compared to our main rivals on the front end, then when we lose players to attrition it hurts us even more than them.

Can we please hire another Virgil Starks figure? Pleeeeeaaasssee?

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

For us dabo and clemson is the blue print. AKA DL AND QB!!!!! Like Gary Danielson said. If you do not have a good QB when you play bama then do not even bother showing up. you have no chance. We have to keep hitting and developing our QBs.

And pray like hell that the JUCO's stay plentiful with QBs!

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

What players have we lost, other than for legal issues, that could have helped us win games? There may be one out there that dropped out of AU, went to another P-5 school and became a solid contributor but I don't remember such a case.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Frost is looking like that kind of guy, too. 

I think Frost is the best actual coach out of all of them BUUUUUUUT he is at one of the hardest jobs to attract talent to. I get momma came calling but man he would of been a beast at a school that it is easier to recruit for. Imagine him at florida??? Omgsh. He could of been the next urban or at least the closest thing to it since at florida.

Just now, keesler said:

And pray like hell that the JUCO's stay plentiful with QBs!

And that baylor keeps recruiting stud qbs for us to poach!