***2018 NSD Thread (Feb 7th)***

aujeff11

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Why I wanted Kiffin after the LSU game and still want him if we need a new coach. Hoping LSU doesnt get their hands on him.

yeah get rid of one of the only coaches to beat Saban on the field for one that has proven to be a little off beat and still is unproven. I mean he could not win at USC...but anyway this is about recruiting.

9 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Better start getting used to it.  

wde

If I wanted to I'd join a UGA board

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

But the same time a coach like Urban Meyer isn't a firey HC but highly successful.

Meyer is in a whole different situation, he moved into a league where they had gentlemen's agreements about recruiting and took a big steaming dump on those agreements. You might recall the backlash his first year recruiting at Ohio State. You might also recall that he never had near that level of success when he was recruiting in the SEC. If Harbaugh could put a solid year together on the field, I think Meyer would finally have some real recruiting competition.

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey said:

What players have we lost, other than for legal issues, that could have helped us win games? There may be one out there that dropped out of AU, went to another P-5 school and became a solid contributor but I don't remember such a case.

Just off the top of my head it looks like Jackson going to OSU will be a stud.  I think you are both correct. We don't lose elite talent that are contributors to the team.  But when a kid leaves if you have a ton of studs nobody cares.  Eventually over time your roster is loaded with such talent that an injury or dismissal just means that someone just as good steps in.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Frost is the best actual coach out of all of them BUUUUUUUT he is at one of the hardest jobs to attract talent to. I get momma came calling but man he would of been a beast at a school that it is easier to recruit for. Imagine him at florida??? Omgsh. He could of been the next urban or at least the closest thing to it since at florida.

Agreed, but he might be able to be moderately successful at Nebraska and leverage himself into a better job. Of course, I'm not sure what they're paying him. Either way, I'm glad he's not in the SEC...

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What players have we lost, other than for legal issues, that could have helped us win games? There may be one out there that dropped out of AU, went to another P-5 school and became a solid contributor but I don't remember such a case.

With the current lack of depth in the secondary, I'd like to have the #1 JUCO Safety back.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

If I wanted to I'd join a UGA board

I can appreciate that, but I know you are not ignoring the obvious when it comes to uga both in terms of on the field and recruiting and how it affects us.

wde

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed, but he might be able to be moderately successful at Nebraska and leverage himself into a better job. Of course, I'm not sure what they're paying him. Either way, I'm glad he's not in the SEC...

I think the contract was about 5 mil a year

Edited by Harp_AU2013

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

He's at his dream job and won't be going anywhere

55 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But you have to admit, we've gotten way better about it. In the early days of Gus and even Chizik, we would just get flat out used by a bama troll.

Absolutely

Just now, Zeek said:

Good... my wife's whole family are Nebraska fans. It make it a lot easier to enjoy my Tigers when she can enjoy her Huskers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

I can appreciate that, but I know you are not ignoring the obvious when it comes to uga both in terms of on the field and recruiting and how it affects us.

wde

One can only affect that which he is control of. I don't worry about others that much. If they are successful it makes beating them even better

• Like 3

Just now, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think the contract was about 3.5 mil a year

Gracias

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

If he gets them to 10 wins and Nebraska steps up to the plate, then you're probably right. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Common denominator is great recruiting head coaches. 

I would never disagree with you (fam), but I would point out that these guys (including Smart) are the HC’s at THE state school in some very strong high school football hotbeds. My feeling is that it’s generally harder not to be good/great at a place like Texas. 

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We all knew Herman was going to kick ass in recruiting though. He just has that IT factor and personality that connects with recruits. You could tell from his days at houston he would be a elite recruiter. They got the right guy for the job. James Franklin is a great recruiter to. Common denominator is great recruiting head coaches. 

So they aren't giving out Mercedes (like uat) or straight up cash (like uga) to collect all of this talent?  [sarcasm]

I was responding to a poster in this thread that gave the above as an explanation as to why uat/uga are pulling their talent.

Bottom line, folks love to point to out the cheating angle way too much around here.  I was simply wondering what the other programs are offering to pull that talent if uat/uga are giving cars/cash?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One can only affect that which he is control of. I don't worry about others that much. If they are successful it makes beating them even better

I'm with you Bird and I wish I was geared more that way.  Unfortunately Texas is a long way from these GA idiots and it is shoved down your throat like the english peas you hated as a kid and were made to take at least one bite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

True, I have no control of who our HC is.  I do worry about our two main rivals on an anonymous message board just to give me something to do.  Beating them is going to get harder.

wde

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I would never disagree with you (fam), but I would point out that these guys (including Smart) are the HC’s at THE state school in some very strong high school football hotbeds. My feeling is that it’s generally harder not to be good/great at a place like Texas. 

This is all true BUT I think Gus is a really good recruiter but not great. That is what my point really was about.

this class is better than #10, but thats okay......spend time and watch the videos, you'll be glad that you did....this is a good class of athletes....i really think that we signed the best rb in the country

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Christian Westerman is the only one that sticks out in my mind, but I’m fairly certain that was mainly “homesick-ness”, and only goes to support your point. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

This is all true BUT I think Gus is a really good recruiter but not great. That is what my point really was about.

Gus is an amazing recruiter for kids who want a father figure and for moms who want their kids taken care of. He's an awful recruiter for kids who are focused on the NFL and a path to get there and families who are focused on the money that football can bring.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

this class is better than #10, but thats okay......spend time and watch the videos, you'll be glad that you did....this is a good class of athletes....i really think that we signed the best rb in the country

I'm sure @Momma Worm agrees with you :)

• Love 2