Men Vs. Duke

WarTiger

Btw Duke fans are giving us huge props on their forum. Maybe it is just caught in the moment but the consensus is that they are glad their team had an early test against a legit top team. Some even consider us a final four team.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

disappointed by the negative comments about players and the team's performance..   The played the top rated team...which has at least 4 future NBA players (like next year) and they rallied from double digits several times as the game went along.  At any time, they could have decided "we can't do this".  but they kept fighting.  

I accept hat BPs style is to mostly just send them out and let them play....would have like to see some adjustment to that big Duke center who kept blocking shots by our smaller guys who were driving..  Could not see why we kept doing the same thing over and over....which gave Duke waaaay to many extra shots for the game.   Otherwise, a good game by AU and some lessons learned...I hope.

We arent playing anywhere near our best ball yet imo. Its still very early in the season. We stay healthy and we can do very deep in the tourney. Talent and experience are a great combo that is rare in college ball.

Incredibly proud of the grit & determination from our guys tonight. We have plenty to gain from this loss in the film room. 

Our guards turned it over too many times while driving to the basket. You can’t teach length and Duke certainly has that. I think at times, we tried to force plays when we should have made the extra pass. That’s the biggest takeaway for me: if we make the extra pass, Duke doesn’t have 11 blocks at the end of this game.

We have to learn to play defense without fouling, and we HAVE to get to the free throw line. If we can learn to shoot more free throws than threes, then we’ll be a very dangerous team. I think that’s where we miss Mustapha Heron. 

Wiley played a heck of a game. Brown & Harper got their points. Chuma & Samir HAVE to play better if we expect to make a deep run in the tournament. I thought Okeke would shine in this prime time matchup, but he struggled offensively and stayed in foul trouble. 

All in all, this game will be tremendously valuable for our team moving forward. But we have to capitalize on our momentum and win tomorrow. WAR EAGLE!!

this bunch can make some waves if they will just play smarter....the effort is there and purifoy will help and wiley appears to be coming into the picture after tonight....just need a lineup change to get doughty coming off of the bench instead of being a starter

Tomorrow is tough as well.  Zags Or Zona.  Both are probably the top 5 teams out west.  Need a W but probably have no scouting or prep for the other side of the bracket so will be tough which ever we get.  Plus fatigue by Harper and Brown with the minutes

Dunbar is the key to the team until Purifoy gets back and works off the rust.

we don’t need Doughty trying to be a scorer.  Drive and dish or drive and kick out.  Every once in a while try to finish but go into the guys chest.  

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Don't know who sam vecenie is, but sounds like a total moron. But like(his words)...AU shot poorly, battled foul trouble all game long, arguably only played ball less than half the game, had one of the better players not even play the entire game and still only lost by 6. Im happy we hung in there, but you could argue AU beat themselves as much or more than Duke did.

Just reviewing the Box score and Center was a great Position for us tonight. McLemore had 12 boards and 4 points and Wiley has 9 boards and 17 points. That is 21 Boards and 21 points out of that position. Harper with 22 points and Brown with 16.  Browns and Harper both played better D tonight then they did against Xavier.  I am one of the ones who thinks Okeke has the most potential of any player on the team if he plays anyplace near his potential we can win this game.

Last two games at the beginnig we start shooting 3's to quickly and often without catching the ball in a good position. I know Bruce likes helter skelter basketball but I believe a little more discipline at the beginning especially getting it inside to Okeke to get him going and we can change the whole game.The hype on Doughty after first two games was overblown but I also think he is better than he showed in last 2 games. I believe he is pressing to much.

All the blocked shots on our drives was both good defense but also because  our drivers veered off at the end instead of taking it to blockers body forcing a charge or a blocking call.

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We are good but not as good as them. Yet. 

Agreed. Seems like we need to tackle their height a little differently. Some plays they used pump fakes and still got blocked and those are okay. The ones where they didn’t make a basketball move and got blocked is a little different. 

32 minutes ago, wglewgle629 said:

Exactly.  We started off last night and tonight 2-13/14 from 3.  Never good.  Hopefully when they see Harper and Brown driving to the basket, we will have a someone start to run with them for the dump off.  A few times in the second half, everyone was watching and they got caught in no mans land.  

This is what I was frustrated with the whole game. Someone's got to be crashing in to bail out harper or brown when they go in the paint like that. 

I would love to have heard what Coach K said to Harper and Brown while shaking hands. He stopped and talked to them for a few good moments. Also loved how Harper basically introduced himself with his play to at least 1 NBA scout according to the early broadcast. Bilas stated he didn't know of him before yesterday, but came away impressed.

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I would love to have heard what Coach K said to Harper and Brown while shaking hands. He stopped and talked to them for a few good moments. Also loved how Harper basically introduced himself with his play to at least 1 NBA scout according to the early broadcast. Bilas stated he didn't know of him before yesterday, but came away impressed.

I know Coach K does that every game when they have a stiff test and a player or 2 impresses him but it still is freaking awesome and is a huge deal to our guys and this program and shows we really have truly arrived and were not just a 1 year wonder under bruce. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know Coach K does that every game when they have a stiff test and a player or 2 impresses him but it still is freaking awesome and is a huge deal to our guys and this program and shows we really have truly arrived and were not just a 1 year wonder under bruce. 

Absolutely.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  For him to be impressed like that is a testament in itself. I just wish Harper could have finished that dunk at the end of first half.  That would have been Epic and surpass yesterday's dunk. 

Just wanted to say I am so proud of the our team for the way they fought tonight. Yes Duke controlled the whole game but we refused to let them run us out of the gym. I definitely want to see them again in March even if we lose that game. We will get a key player back and If the offense can consistently have better shot selection we have a chance.

45 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Absolutely.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  For him to be impressed like that is a testament in itself. I just wish Harper could have finished that dunk at the end of first half.  That would have been Epic and surpass yesterday's dunk. 

Do not worry. He will finish that dunk on John Pettys head in 2019 fam!!!! lol WOOO!!!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!

To put in to perspective of how well we did tonight just to fight back and give them a hell of a game. Even when we were not anywhere close too playing well.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

disappointed by the negative comments about players and the team's performance..   The played the top rated team...which has at least 4 future NBA players (like next year) and they rallied from double digits several times as the game went along.  At any time, they could have decided "we can't do this".  but they kept fighting.  

I accept hat BPs style is to mostly just send them out and let them play....would have like to see some adjustment to that big Duke center who kept blocking shots by our smaller guys who were driving..  Could not see why we kept doing the same thing over and over....which gave Duke waaaay to many extra shots for the game.   Otherwise, a good game by AU and some lessons learned...I hope.

As a fan I thought Auburn did a good job hanging in and never quit.........It's a loss sure..........but man this team is making progress........51 years old and Duke has been a powerhouse most of my adult life..........really proud of the team's effort👍

I honestly think Purifoy could be the slasher type guy we’ve needed these past 2 games. I’m still pissed he has to sit 9 games. Could’ve been huge for us in this tournament, especially with Doughty not having his best games. 

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To put in to perspective of how well we did tonight just to fight back and give them a hell of a game. Even when we were not anywhere close too playing well.

The additions of Okoro and Shariffe and others will make our teams much more comparable in the future. 

Duke better enjoy this victory now...

2 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I honestly think Purifoy could be the slasher type guy we’ve needed these past 2 games. I’m still pissed he has to sit 9 games. Could’ve been huge for us in this tournament, especially with Doughty not having his best games. 

He was tweeting during the game. Was he not with the team?

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Some even consider us a final four team.

When Danjel gets back & Wiley gets at his peak I fully agree.

BTW big draft stock game for Wiley last night. So happy for & proud of him!

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Just think a previous athletic director was ready to let him go.

So was Leath you can thank Allen Greene and some PTB for Bruce still being at Auburn

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

So was Leath you can thank Allen Greene and some PTB for Bruce still being at Auburn

Thanks, I knew those #teambruce tweets constantly to every Greene tweet made a difference, lol.

Archived