Men Vs. Duke

WarTiger

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Thanks, I knew those #teambruce tweets constantly to every Greene tweet made a difference, lol.

Iā€™m Guilty of this šŸ˜‡

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Thanks, I knew those #teambruce tweets constantly to every Greene tweet made a difference, lol.

Sarcasm?

11 hours ago, doverstutts said:

purifoy can take doughty's spot.....something has to be done....he has choked out on us

In the first couple of games some people were saying he was better than Heron. Now you are saying he is a choke artist. Neither is correct. He has some skills and will help us this year.Ā  Ref's were not allowing him to body up people out front and he did not adjust so played limited minutes. Pearl and other coaches will work on that. he and Okeke had similar issues on D getting in foul trouble. That is correctable.

He played hard but ineffectively this game but coming down as hard on him as you did is just unfair.Ā  When I am disappointed in a player or a game I try to wait a while before I post so I can calm down and reflect a while before I type something I wish I could take back later. doverstutts I have seen your posts in the past you are better than that comment.

no, its the truth...cole was right...he was timid against good competition and his skilset does not fit the 3 spot to begin with.....maybe coming off the bench to spell the 1 or 2 will fit him better

I just want to say great job to our tigers for staying in that game. The first 10 minutes looked like we were going to get run out of the gym. But we didn't we kept coming back and kept it close. Had we not got off to such a lousy start it would have been a back and forth game the whole way through. Super proud of the team for sticking with it. I really like the potential this team has.

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

no, its the truth...cole was right...he was timid against good competition and his skilset does not fit the 3 spot to begin with.....maybe coming off the bench to spell the 1 or 2 will fit him better

Cole was right. I agreed with him that Doughty was not as good as Heron but saying he choked is going to far. Based on this game you could have said Okeke choked also but he didn't he didn't play smart and got in foul trouble same as Doughty.Ā  Both will be better as the year progresses. I never thought Doughty was a Superstar after first couple of games but he will help us down the road.

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In the first couple of games some people were saying he was better than Heron. Now you are saying he is a choke artist. Neither is correct. He has some skills and will help us this year.Ā  Ref's were not allowing him to body up people out front and he did not adjust so played limited minutes. Pearl and other coaches will work on that. he and Okeke had similar issues on D getting in foul trouble. That is correctable.

He played hard but ineffectively this game but coming down as hard on him as you did is just unfair.Ā  When I am disappointed in a player or a game I try to wait a while before I post so I can calm down and reflect a while before I type something I wish I could take back later. doverstutts I have seen your posts in the past you are better than that comment.

agree...we've only seen the guy play in coupleĀ  difficult games....not much basis to draw a legitimate assessment. Ā Ā  Most of our guys are role-players it seems.....and still learning what their roles are.Ā 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To put in to perspective of how well we did tonight just to fight back and give them a hell of a game. Even when we were not anywhere close too playing well.

Proof of the player development they have gotten since arriving on campus. Improvement like this from one player could be a fluke, mass improvement is a trend. Bruce is truly a rockstar and we are soooo lucky to have him.Ā 

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Spot on.Ā Ā  He's likely starting until Purifoy comes back but even if he starts after Purifoy is available, I'll still trust Bruce Pearls decision on how and where to playĀ  him over anybody posting here.

Let's also remember we have a rule here against bashing the players.Ā  Let'sĀ  eliminate the "so and so choked" talk.Ā  It's a bush league thing to do to somebody that busts their asses day after day to entertain us.Ā  We could have definitely played better than we did but at the end of the day we lost to the #1 team in the country by only FIVE points.Ā  It's something to be proud of as far as where this program is and where we are headed. It's not a time (never is) to rail on any player for a bad performance.Ā Ā 

Pearl will make the adjustments needed. Whatever it is, evenĀ if its switching Dunbar and Samir in the lineup. Samir is out of position right now.Ā We needed McCormick to be better, I know he's still finding his way. Hopefully by February/March he will be able to spell Harper for ~10 minutes a game with minimal drop-off. Samir is not as good as he looked in the first fewĀ games, but he is not as bad as he looked the last 2 games. He has a role on this team he just needs to find it. He's not a great finisher and I'd love if he used his ability to get to the paint and create for others..

I really said something that may make me look stupid for years to come during the game regarding Wiley. I said he was not draft-able because he looks out of sync in the post. He was a man last night after I posted that lol. And he hit a little mid-range J, it made me think of @bigbird's post about how nice it would be ifĀ he incorporated some of Lamarcus Aldridge's game into his own.

And Horace. That play where he did not back down from Zion is a tone setter for the rest of the year. WE AIN'T SCARED

Also, this is going to be my last post about Mustapha Heron. We really miss his ability to get to the basket and create contact and get to the FT line. We really could've used that last night. Really hoping Jelly Purifoy is ready to give us an extra scoring punch.

We also miss Davion!!!!

Ā 

Ok that is it. No more posts from me about the guys who left the program after last year. I'm officially moving forward.

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Ā 

And Horace. That play where he did not back down from Zion is a tone setter for the rest of the year. WE AIN'T SCARED

Exactly! Ā Horace didnā€™t backĀ down an inch! Ā Iā€™m sure his teammates saw that and learned from his example.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Exactly! Ā Horace didnā€™t backĀ down an inch! Ā Iā€™m sure his teammates saw that and learned from his example.Ā 

Yessir!!!!! Horace will always be a favorite of mine because he was the very first highly rated guy to commit to AU and Bruce. He wasĀ the first one to buy in and a big part of why we are where we are today

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

earl will make the adjustments needed. Whatever it is, evenĀ if its switching Dunbar and Samir in the lineup. Samir is out of position right now.Ā We needed McCormick to be better, I know he's still finding his way.

These days the better teams do not seem to limit their players to specific "positions" ā€¦.and I see and hear more about position-lessĀ  play. Ā  Ā  Duke hasĀ  guys who play all over the floor except for the center, Bolden, Ā  who our guys seemed to have forgotten about as they got balls swatted back for most of the second half. Ā Ā  Just thinking that any player who is limited to one slot is cutting into his own playing time...... Harper being the exception for AU.....but watching Duke last night, it did not seem they had a designated PG which made them tough to defend. . Hoping DP is able to fill a number of roles when he is back. Ā 

The only complaint I have about our play is that some of our guys were taking lazy shots and were tipping their hand,Ā which allowed Duke to easily block the shot. Ā Those shots were just not smart BB, especially against extremely athletic players. Ā Letā€™s hope we learn from that.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25200602/auburn-shows-staying-power

Ā 

Are we really going to penalize Auburn for a six-point loss on a neutral court to the consensus best team in college basketball?

The Tigers were No. 7 on Tuesday morning, and they're staying there despite the loss.It's perhaps most impressive that Auburn didn't play all that well and still managed to stay within striking distance for most of the night. They shot only nine free throws, making five of them. They shot 34.4 percent from 3-point range and 37.8 percent from inside the arc. And they didn't change their usual game plan despite going against Duke and its variety of lottery picks.

The biggest revelation for Bruce Pearl's team through two games in Maui, Hawaii, is the play ofĀ Jared Harper. He somehow shot 1-for-9 from inside the arc and 6-for-10 from 3-point range on Tuesday, but Harper has been the catalyst for Auburn against both Xavier and Duke. He consistently carved up the Xavier defense off the dribble and with pick-and-rolls, and hit several deep 3-pointers in both games. He also dished out a total of 14 assists in the two games. If he keeps playing like this, he's a legitimate SEC Player of the Year contender -- and Auburn can push for another SEC title.

My thoughts on the game are that it was one of the worst officiated games I have ever witnessed and Auburn would beat that Duke team about 50% of the time with a properly called game.Ā  Even with a poor showing in shooting percentage from some of Auburn's better players and one of the most lopsided displays of calling fouls IĀ have ever seen Auburn only lost by 6 points.Ā  This Duke team has been blowing good teams out of the gym.Ā  When was the last time a Bruce Pearl coached team went an entire half without a single free throw? Has it ever happened?Ā  I mean come on, that is just plain ridiculous.Ā  The discrepancy in free throws between the two teams is laughable.Ā  The Auburn basketball team has drawn multiple fouls in every half of basketball they have played this season thus far, and did so last year as well.Ā  They are good at the line and that was ultimately the difference in the game.Ā Ā Ā 

It's impossible to have anything but respect for Coach K. Real recognize real.Ā 

Ā 

does auburn not play a last game after losing to duke? i cannot find anything on direct tv. thanx

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

does auburn not play a last game after losing to duke? i cannot find anything on direct tv. thanx

10:30 Central time tonight on ESPN2 vs Arizona.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

10:30 Central time tonight on ESPN2 vs Arizona.

thank you so much!

Ā 

46 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thank you so much!

Ā 

Going to be burning the midnight oil for this one lol.

All yall complaining about last night and specifically any one player are ****ing crazy. They all played sloppy. It wasnt lack of effort. There was certainly some timidness in em. And yet despite ALL that and some shaky refsĀ we inly lost by 6. This team has DRUMMED everyone and we walked outta there disappointed that we lost. That says a lot. Weā€™ll be ok. Players will learn from this. One thing i saw in game was the adjustment to drive instead of shoot perimeter first. Against Xavier we kept shooting. We learned and adjusted. Now we gotta show up and take care of business through february

Archived