Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

Not sure if some here quite understand the hierarchy in play here. The AD has the least amount of power of anyone. He answers directly to the President, who answers to the BoT. The big $ boosters, who everyone wants to “kick rocks” have way more pull than y’all might like, but there’s  reason for that. Their $ enables the athletic dept. to do things that they absolutely would not be able to do without them. This gives them great leverage and it isn’t just and Auburn thing. This is the common formula in virtually all athletic departments.

AG runs day to day operations but cannot just fire Gus- especially considering the $ involved. Could he do more than it appears he has done? Maybe but there’s really no way to know what kind of leeway Leath has given him.

Leath can make big time decisions- and I 100% believe he is to blame for the mess we’re in and how it’s be handled- but he is also somewhat at the mercy of the BoT and the boosters.

The boosters are kind of rogue agents who really don’t have to answer to anyone. Could they be told to kick rocks ? Sure, but I’m not sure if y’all know how much that would hamper our athletic department moving forward.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Doesn’t make horse sense. The school president is only concerned about the buy out, then he turns around and offers Gus a new deal thinking he will turn down the new deal and walk away with the buy-out? 

If they fire Gus, he walks away with the buy-out. Again, it doesn’t make good horse sense!

They were trying to make it so untenable to Gus that he would walk away willingly to another job, thus reducing or removing the buyout completely.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does it even really matter? Bama could have Bozo the Clown as OC and the results would be the same as it's been for the last 10 years. If anything this would hurt us more than it helps them (if Freeze is even on the table for us).

Lol. Can their recruiting get any better?

Just now, bigbird said:

I wonder how much Sexton encouraged Gus to call Leath's challenge.  By Gus saying he will accept, all the pressure shifted back to AU and the muddy faces now belong to Leath and Harbert.

Leath's #1 goal is to make himself look competent. Leath knows he will not last the year as AU's president.  He feels like firing Gus, a year removed from a terribly negotiated contract by himself, would be a huge blemish against him.  He is solely trying to ensure that he can remain hirable.  He can not justify the contract, the buyout, and the poor management to potential employers.  That is why he tried to neuter Gus. It was a poor attempt to make him miserable enough that he would leave on his own fruition.  

As of now, I believe Leath and Harbert are regrouping and trying to formulate another plan of attack that willminimize any backlash on them. Both are in very perilous positions and have been told that. Leath is looking for coverage for his future employment and Harbert is trying to remain a central player with his power/influence intact.

That makes sense, thank you. Sounds like, Leath basically made a mess, and he’s getting messier, trying to clean up the mess.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That is nothing more than a pro-forma argument based on how things should be instead of how they are.

This mess was created by Gus's contract as "negotiated" by president and whoever is writing the checks.  Greene had nothing to do with it, nor does he have the authority to fix it. Given the circumstances, and the amount of money involved, it's naive to think otherwise. 

The only leverage Greene has is threatening to quit.  And that is not in our best interests.  We'll need someone to pick up the pieces.

I'm outta likes, so you get quoted. 😁

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Greene should quit right now and walk away a hero. I gave you all Pearl and this basketball team because you were wanting and was about to screw that up. 

I gave you this the same season the football team fell flat so you guys could have something to be happy about. 

You're welcome. *drops mic*

It's nice having an Athletic Director who looks like he could actually do 10 push ups and not pass out. Looks aside, I wholeheartedly support ADAG.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

They were trying to make it so untenable to Gus that he would walk away willingly to another job, thus reducing or removing the buyout completely.

If true, sounds like Leath has made a complete mess of this, and as I stated earlier, He’s making a bigger mess, trying to clean it up.

Just now, AU-24 said:

If true, sounds like Leath has made a complete mess of this, and as I stated earlier, He’s making a bigger mess, trying to clean it up.

Yup. Leath's gotta go too. 

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't beleive that. it wasn't THAT bad of a deal if the choice is whats reported or to be unemployed (by Auburn).

if this is true about leethe, he is an idiot and a slimeball and should be fired as he doesn't live up to the "Auburn Creed". after that bad of a season, it seems totally justifiable to me for the school to ask for a contract renegotiation based on performance. if the coach is open great, if not you can either live with it or fire him. but none of that needs to be public.

So let's squash some bickering here.

Does anyone disagree with the following:
Leath should be fired, Gus should be fired, and we should suck it up and pay the damn buyout.

If we're all in agreeance with that the rest is pointless bickering about supposed tactics and job requirements.

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.

So the story is now changing to Leath doesn’t care whether Gus stays or goes, Greene wants to fire him, even though he publicly stated differently, Leath won’t let Greene fire Gus, Because of the buy-out, but he was expecting Gus to turn down his new deal and walk away with the buy-out?

The story isn't "changing."  We've known for a while the Leath was very reluctant to fire Gus because of the buyout - a crazy high buyout that Leath himself negotiated and would therefore be blamed for it it had to be paid out.  But there has never been any belief or argument that Leath was super excited about keeping Gus after the way this season played out.  He's just trying to save his own skin.

Now what we do have are new developments - the ploy to put so many onerous restrictions and speed bumps in Gus's path going forward that he'd balk and negotiate a much lower settlement to leave.

Not sure why you're so fond of this "story is changing" tactic.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly.  The incompetence at the very top is overwhelming.  It's why Greene is smart to stay the hell away from it all right now.  Make your recommendation, which he apparently has, then back off and let Leath implode since he won't listen to the man he hired to do the job.  When the dust settles, Greene will look like the smartest man in the room.  I'm 100% confident of that.

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/10/former-aerospace-engineering-chairs-lawsuit-against-auburn-alleges-widespread-racial-discrimination

There's another lawsuit other than this one about some scam of a major that a lot of athletes are in just to get passed along.

Removing Leath would help with a lot more than just football.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He is solely trying to ensure that he can remain hirable.

Hard to believe that’s possible at this point if anybody even gives his AU situation even a cursory look. What a buffoon. Geez, how did this guy end up our prez?

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly.  The incompetence at the very top is overwhelming.  It's why Greene is smart to stay the hell away from it all right now.  Make your recommendation, which he apparently has, then back off and let Leath implode since he won't listen to the man he hired to do the job.  When the dust settles, Greene will look like the smartest man in the room.  I'm 100% confident of that.

He likely is. Greene is the only good thing we've gotten out of Leath and I'm not sure it was even really L's doing.

4 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

I don't beleive that. it wasn't THAT bad of a deal if the on the choice is to be unemployed (by Auburn).

if this is true about leethe, he is an idiot and a slimeball and should be fired as he doesn't live up to the "Auburn Creed". after that bad of a season, it seems totally justifiable to me for the school to ask for a contract renegotiation based on performance. if the coach is open great, if not you can either live with it or fire him. but none of that needs to be public.

Go read the articles again about Gus.  His MO is very different from most.  Money is not his primary motivator.  Being unemployed is a big one though because he wants the legacy of never being fired.  He also really wants to win a championship and feels that of all jobs he can get, his best shot is at AU.

Look, if I were Gus, I would have said pay me my buyout or shut the hell up and let me run my program.  Fire me all you want, but pay me.  But my motivations are different than his.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hard to believe that’s possible at this point if anybody even gives his AU situation even a cursory look. What a buffoon. Geez, how did this guy end up our prez?

Another s***** Iowa State hand-me-down

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

That makes sense, thank you. Sounds like, Leath basically made a mess, and he’s getting messier, trying to clean up the mess.

Now you got it..........B)

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The story isn't "changing."  We've known for a while the Leath was very reluctant to fire Gus because of the buyout - a crazy high buyout that Leath himself negotiated and would therefore be blamed for it it had to be paid out.  But there has never been any belief or argument that Leath was super excited about keeping Gus after the way this season played out.  He's just trying to save his own skin.

Now what we do have are new developments - the ploy to put so many onerous restrictions and speed bumps in Gus's path going forward that he'd balk and negotiate a much lower settlement to leave.

Not sure why you're so fond of this "story is changing" tactic.

Please don’t take it personally. I’m sure you can understand how some of this, to the average fan, just doesn’t make sense.

2 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

I don't beleive that. it wasn't THAT bad of a deal if the on the choice is to be unemployed (by Auburn).

They didn't ask for it.  They simply told him that due to performance some things the contract didn't cover were going to be much more tightly managed by the AD - more scrutiny of potential staff hires, no additional money for staff buyouts, football-only facility put on hold, etc.  They hoped he'd find those restrictions untenable and begin negotiations for him to depart of his own accord, which since it was Malzahn's choice, would have logically meant a far lower buyout than if Auburn had made the call.  He just didn't respond the way they expected.

Just now, Grimnir said:

When we are finally rid of him I hope we expand our search outside of Iowa!

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1937938_1937933_1937940,00.html

Dude does nothing but fix messed up systems. Mark Yudof is awesome.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Now you got it..........B)

😃 My problem is, I love Auburn so much, I can’t imagine this kind of incompetency at the top of our school! But evidently, it is, what it is!

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Go read the articles again about Gus.  His MO is very different from most.  Money is not his primary motivator.  Being unemployed is a big one though because he wants the legacy of never being fired.  He also really wants to win a championship and feels that of all jobs he can get, his best shot is at AU.

Look, if I were Gus, I would have said pay me my buyout or shut the hell up and let me run my program.  Fire me all you want, but pay me.  But my motivations are different than his.

i understand. that is what im saying. if leath's plan was to "make gus an offer so bad he just walks away", leeeth did a TERRIBLE job. the offer wasn't that bad.

thats why i have a hard time believing that to be the case. but i understand there is incompetence at ever leave.

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm sure Greene would have been able to swing a heavier bat if the buyout wasn't at an astronomical number. I think this, combined with who's responsible for extending the contract with the buyout, is what is making this situation unique and impossible to compare to how things would be if the buyout was only, say, in the $10M-15M range.

And that's the problem with modern college football.

Archived