Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Please don’t take it personally. I’m sure you can understand how some of this, to the average fan, just doesn’t make sense.

But it does make sense, you just have to be willing to read rather than just look at cursory summaries.  When you understand that Leath took on these negotiations himself and that he's in hot water over that plus some issues on the academic side, then it's not hard to realize what his primary motive for not firing Gus would be.

Once you understand that part, the ploy to try and get Gus to leave on his own, hamfisted as it was, isn't hard to follow either.  

I mean, this was a guy who negotiated a $49 million extension with a 75% guarantee on it.  He ain't exactly a chess master here.

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I mean okay. I guess he can inherit the spoils to whatever stupid decision that Leath comes up with next. Remind me, what’s the point to hiring him?

Because we needed a good AD who wasn't a 'good ole boy'.

IMO, Leath got that right.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm sure Greene would have been able to swing a heavier bat if the buyout wasn't at an astronomical number. I think this, combined with who's responsible for extending the contract with the buyout, is what is making this situation unique and impossible to compare to how things would be if the buyout was only, say, in the $10M-15M range.

Exactly. If it were a typical buyout, then Gus would've been gone after the UTk game. Steele would've been named interim, RG would've taken some of the DC duties, and Chip would've run the O.  I think that could've done some damage down the stretch.

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

(if Freeze is even on the table for us).

He isn't anymore.

20 minutes ago, chimes said:

Not sure if some here quite understand the hierarchy in play here. The AD has the least amount of power of anyone. He answers directly to the President, who answers to the BoT. 

AG runs day to day operations but cannot just fire Gus- especially considering the $ involved. Could he do more than it appears he has done? Maybe but there’s really no way to know what kind of leeway Leath has given him.

Precisely.  The amount of the buyout automatically takes the decision to keep/fire Gus away from ADAG and puts it squarely on the President and BoT.

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They were trying to make it so untenable to Gus that he would walk away willingly to another job, thus reducing or removing the buyout completely.

tenor.gif?itemid=7547612

Yip Yip...

19 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

That makes sense, thank you. Sounds like, Leath basically made a mess, and he’s getting messier, trying to clean up the mess.

He and the guarantee from Harbert during last year's negotiations.

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Make your recommendation, which he apparently has, then back off and let Leath implode since he won't listen to the man he hired to do the job.  

ADAG has a lot of long time, highly repsected ADs from around the nation that support and advise him when asked.  I would think many of them are helping him navigate this storm.

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

When the dust settles, Greene will look like the smartest man in the room. 

I think he normally is.  ADAG is VERY good at his job.  We are extremely lucky we landed him.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

But it does make sense, you just have to be willing to read rather than just look at cursory summaries.  When you understand that Leath took on these negotiations himself and that he's in hot water over that plus some issues on the academic side, then it's not hard to realize what his primary motive for not firing Gus would be.

Once you understand that part, the ploy to try and get Gus to leave on his own, hamfisted as it was, isn't hard to follow either.  

I mean, this was a guy who negotiated a $49 million extension with a 75% guarantee on it.  He ain't exactly a chess master here.

Getting back to my love for Auburn, how does one of the top state schools in the country, do this to themselves? I honestly believe we can get absolute top tier people for these positions, why are we not getting them?

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly. If it were a typical buyout, then Gus would've been gone after the UTk game. Steele would've been named interim, RG would've taken some of the DC duties, and Chip would've run the O.  I think that could've done some damage down the stretch.

He isn't anymore.

Precisely.  The amount of the buyout automatically takes the decision to keep/fire Gus away from ADAG and puts it squarely on the President and BoT.

tenor.gif?itemid=7547612

Yip Yip...

He and the guarantee from Harbert during last year's negotiations.

ADAG has a lot of long time, highly repsected ADs from around the nation that support and advise him when asked.  I would think many of them are helping him navigate this storm.

I think he normally is.  ADAG is VERY good at his job.  We are extremely lucky we landed him.

Agreed on all points. ADAG is awesome.

Here's my biggest fear from this cluster****:

President Leath will be  (justifiably) fired and Auburn University - an otherwise respected academic and research institution - is going to become the "poster boy" for how college football has corrupted institutions of higher learning participating  in NCAA Div. 1 sports.

It looks like a classic case of the "tail wagging the dog".

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hard to believe that’s possible at this point if anybody even gives his AU situation even a cursory look. What a buffoon. Geez, how did this guy end up our prez?

Now combine that with the scandals at ISU. Seriously, I get the research programs looked good, but just damn...

7 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

i understand. that is what im saying. if leath's plan was to "make gus an offer so bad he just walks away", leeeth did a TERRIBLE job. the offer wasn't that bad.

thats why i have a hard time believing that to be the case. but i understand there is incompetence at ever leave.

They had to balance it a little.  Make it too egregious and it reflects very poorly on AU and is beyond transparent.  The problem is, the items they were negotiating were of very little value to Gus.  They made the mistake of not knowing who they were negotiating against.  If they wanted to hit Gus where he felt it, it wouldn't be the money(which is all they wanted to recoup).  It would be things that took away his autonomy and created major oversight into the program.  Gus absolutely hates being second guessed about anything.  I would've built in a clause where he had to be available to the intramural flag football team twice a week to discuss X's and O's and game planning.

49 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.

So the story is now changing to Leath doesn’t care whether Gus stays or goes, Greene wants to fire him, even though he publicly stated differently, Leath won’t let Greene fire Gus, Because of the buy-out, but he was expecting Gus to turn down his new deal and walk away with the buy-out?

Good job '24!  You've gotten right down to rusty old nuts 'n bolts of it.

Now, do you have time to suss out the "Bob Stoops" negotiations?

TIA

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So let's squash some bickering here.

Does anyone disagree with the following:
Leath should be fired, Gus should be fired, and we should suck it up and pay the damn buyout.

If we're all in agreeance with that the rest is pointless bickering about supposed tactics and job requirements.

Then there would still be the unresolved question of what to do with @bigbird and @augolf1716. And @aujeff11.....dude, don't get me started. We probably need MOTHER FRICKING @GwillMac6 TO HELP HERE.!!!!! I'd call on @McLoofus, but sounds like his plate is full without having to deal with Gus and Leath. I'm basically saying...we're screwed here at AU because we have more problems than we could hope to fix.

37 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Leath basically made a mess, and he’s getting messier, trying to clean up the mess.

Reminds me of a murder scene where the killer attempts to cleanup the scene of the crime while tracking blood all over creation...

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Here's my biggest fear from this cluster****:

President Leath will be  (justifiably) fired and Auburn University - an otherwise respected academic and research institution - is going to become the "poster boy" for how college football has corrupted institutions of higher learning participating  in NCAA Div. 1 sports.

It looks like a classic case of the "tail wagging the dog".

You could easily pin it on a few of his issues related to academics as well. Lots of talk and lawsuits about him trying to intimidate professors into being quiet.

30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

When the dust settles, Greene will look like the smartest man in the room.  I'm 100% confident of that.

While, at the moment, it would appear being "that guy" wouldn't take a whole lot more ability than walking and chewing bubble gum I am convinced we've got the right guy in the AD's chair.  I still believe much of the ridiculousness of the contract extension is on Jacobs.  That guy was ALWAYS the dumbest in the room and Sexton took complete advantage of him at every opportunity.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Now combine that with the scandals at ISU. Seriously, I get the research programs looked good, but just damn...

They had to balance it a little.  Make it too egregious and it reflects very poorly on AU and is beyond transparent.  The problem is, the items they were negotiating were of very little value to Gus.  They made the mistake of not knowing who they were negotiating against.  If they wanted to hit Gus where he felt it, it wouldn't be the money(which is all they wanted to recoup).  It would be things that took away his autonomy and created major oversight into the program.  Gus absolutely hates being second guessed about anything.  I would've built in a clause where he had to be available to the intramural flag football team twice a week to discuss X's and O's and game planning.

Whatever his faults, I cannot help for respecting Gus for that.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Mirror imaging. Thinking someone else will do, as you would do, in the same situation.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

anyone who would sabotage their own school and football program like what should be tared and feathered. so im glad ( i guess) they focused on the buyout.

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

While, at the moment, it would appear being "that guy" wouldn't take a whole lot more ability than walking and chewing bubble gum I am convinced we've got the right guy in the AD's chair.  I still believe much of the ridiculousness of the contract extension is on JacobsThat guy was ALWAYS the dumbest in the room and Sexton took complete advantage of him at every opportunity.

Sitting on his duff, laughing like a fool.  I guarantee it!

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Reminds me of a murder scene where the killer attempts to cleanup the scene of the crime while tracking blood all over creation...

Language

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Imagine that. The humility and wisdom to seek counsel.

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I'd call on @McLoofus, but sounds like his plate is full without having to deal with Gus and Leath.

Up to my ass in poopy diapers but if you send up the Loof signal, I will answer the call.

But do we need to squash the bickering? That which does not kill us makes us stronger! Iron sharpens iron! 

10 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

While, at the moment, it would appear being "that guy" wouldn't take a whole lot more ability than walking and chewing bubble gum I am convinced we've got the right guy in the AD's chair.  I still believe much of the ridiculousness of the contract extension is on Jacobs.  That guy was ALWAYS the dumbest in the room and Sexton took complete advantage of him at every opportunity.

As incompetent, and “in over his head” as Jay Jacobs was, he really had little to do with the current Gus contract.

Sexton is obviously leaps and bounds more intelligent then anyone in Auburn’s administration. Pretty self absorbed, a-little arrogant, sure, but don’t think he’s not intelligent!

Arkansas made a play for Gus... Gus had just beaten the turds and thuga, so Sexton had the leverage to get the deal he wanted, and man... did he ever get it!

Just got a response back from someone who I know very well.  "Big pissing contest that has turned into a giant clusterf@ck"

so basically everything that we figured.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

or simpler put when I googled it...

"my reason for living"

I've more commonly heard it as raison d'etre, "reason for being", but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've more commonly heard it as raison d'etre, "reason for being", but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 

I did, but it only helped me speak French in Russian.

Archived