Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Jay Tate's Thursday morning update:

From the article:

Yet these Auburn assistants, by and large, have no idea what's happening. They know the situation is messy and complicated and may force a change in employment, but they haven't heard from Malzahn. Maybe he can't inform them for legal reasons. Maybe his motivation is more about strategy than legality. This is, after all, a coach who on Sunday called Auburn president Steven Leath's bluff and now has Auburn's athletic administrators wondering what happens next.

They don't appear to know.

How can Auburn leave the assistants hanging like this? They (Malzahn, Leath & Harbert) need to nip this in the bud today. Will they? Who knows, but what is currently going on is ridiculous and embarrassing.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wow the new article from Jay G. Tate that Titan posted on the last page makes me bitter. I can't believe this is actually happened. Un-freaking-real

This is Auburn. Translation. Nothing is unreal.

26 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Well I never see anybody threaten anybody else anytime ever on here so that's a good thing!

I threaten ol corch every other week, to give bird and titan a workout

Just now, cole256 said:

I threaten ol corch every other week, to give bird and titan a workout

#FreeCorchLol

So what would have happened if Gus just said "no thanks, I like our current contract setup"

Would that have triggered a firing? I mean what could Leath have done at that point? Just be like "uhh ok I guess"?

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because Leath doesn't care whether Gus stays or goes.  Leath cares that he isn't seen as the one who forced Auburn to pay a $32 million buyout.  Firing Gus triggers that buyout.  Offering him a deal with added restrictions he thinks he'll balk at so he'll leave on his own is one way out of it.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.

So the story is now changing to Leath doesn’t care whether Gus stays or goes, Greene wants to fire him, even though he publicly stated differently, Leath won’t let Greene fire Gus, Because of the buy-out, but he was expecting Gus to turn down his new deal and walk away with the buy-out?

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Exactly. That’s being MIA.  Matthews nearly echos what I believe to be true on tbe podcast.The repercussions of the contract falls on Leath, so Greene is playing with house money and can still come out as the hero just as he did with Bruce. I get what people are saying about Greene needing to sit this one out and that it’s not his mess, but this is his program that’s becoming an embarrassment. Would he sit back and let that looney tune president make a decision that could REALLY set his program back just to save his skin? If the repercussions linger or snowball, the finger could eventually shift to pointing at him. 

I do not know the particulars or the complexities of the matter, but I agree with 24 that it APPEARS that Greene needs to step up the plate. Just my 2 cents. 

That is nothing more than a pro-forma argument based on how things should be instead of how they are.

This mess was created by Gus's contract as "negotiated" by Leath and whoever is writing the checks.  Greene had nothing to do with it, nor does he have the authority to fix it. Given the circumstances - and the amount of money involved - it's naive to think otherwise. 

The only leverage Greene has is threatening to quit.  And that is not in our best interests.  We'll need someone to pick up the pieces.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

When they gave Gus the bum offer no one thought what if he actually takes this?

Obviously I wasn't there and don't know the specifics but...

...if you're going to give a bum offer it needs to be so bad for the other person but so good for yourself that you don't mind if they take it. So something along the lines of "if we fire you next year you get $1 million and that's it".

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.

So the story is now changing to Leath doesn’t care whether Gus stays or goes, Greene wants to fire him, even though he publicly stated differently, Leath won’t let Greene fire Gus, Because of the buy-out, but he was expecting Gus to turn down his new deal and walk away with the buy-out?

i'm pretty sure that has been the story all along... at least my understanding of it.

I'm sure Greene would have been able to swing a heavier bat if the buyout wasn't at an astronomical number. I think this, combined with who's responsible for extending the contract with the buyout, is what is making this situation unique and impossible to compare to how things would be if the buyout was only, say, in the $10M-15M range.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That is nothing more than a pro-forma argument based on how things should be instead of how they are.

This mess was created by Gus's contract as "negotiated" by president and whoever is writing the checks.  Greene had nothing to do with it, nor does he have the authority to fix it. Given the circumstances, and the amount of money involved, it's naive to think otherwise. 

The only leverage Greene has is threatening to quit.  And that is not in our best interests.  We'll need someone to pick up the pieces.

I mean okay. I guess he can inherit the spoils to whatever stupid decision that Leath comes up with next. Remind me, what’s the point to hiring him?

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

FWIW there’s some rumblings that Freeze could go to Bama if their current OC takes the Maryland job.

Does it even really matter? Bama could have Bozo the Clown as OC and the results would be the same as it's been for the last 10 years. If anything this would hurt us more than it helps them (if Freeze is even on the table for us).

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

i'm pretty sure that has been the story all along... at least my understanding of it.

Doesn’t make horse sense. The school president is only concerned about the buy out, then he turns around and offers Gus a new deal thinking he will turn down the new deal and walk away with the buy-out? 

If they fire Gus, he walks away with the buy-out. Again, it doesn’t make good horse sense!

4 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

FWIW there’s some rumblings that Freeze could go to Bama if their current OC takes the Maryland job.

If Freeze goes to Bama, I'm taking up a new hobby during football season.

Greene should quit right now and walk away a hero. I gave you all Pearl and this basketball team because you were wanting and was about to screw that up. 

I gave you this the same season the football team fell flat so you guys could have something to be happy about. 

You're welcome. *drops mic*

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Does it even really matter? Bama could have Bozo the Clown as OC and the results would be the same as it's been for the last 10 years. If anything this would hurt us more than it helps them (if Freeze is even on the table for us).

When you have the best players money can buy I agree with you

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

If Freeze goes to Bama, I'm taking up a new hobby during football season.

If this happens and Gus stays we may need to shut down the site for a few weeks 😂

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

So what would have happened if Gus just said "no thanks, I like our current contract setup"

Would that have triggered a firing? I mean what could Leath have done at that point? Just be like "uhh ok I guess"?

Bingo.

It's actually the biggest reason I'm exercising a healthy regimen of skepticism concerning this whole contract story.  Gus says, "Yes" to the changes and and it's a plan gone bad.  Gus says "No" and they fire him?  

The story is that Leath is afraid of embarrassment, but how would a "No" have worked to his benefit?  Seems a bit dodgy to bank on Gus taking the worst option for himself, which was to take a $7M hit by quitting.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wow the new article from Jay G. Tate that Titan posted on the last page makes me bitter. I can't believe this is actually happened. Un-freaking-real

I wonder how much Sexton encouraged Gus to call Leath's challenge.  By Gus saying he will accept, all the pressure shifted back to AU and the muddy faces now belong to Leath and Harbert.

19 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

But I thought Leath wanted to keep Gus and won’t let Greene fire him?

So why would Leath give Gus a contract, that he would not except, so he would leave?

Leath's #1 goal is to make himself look competent. Leath knows he will not last the year as AU's president.  He feels like firing Gus, a year removed from a terribly negotiated contract by himself, would be a huge blemish against him.  He is solely trying to ensure that he can remain hirable.  He can not justify the contract, the buyout, and the poor management to potential employers.  That is why he tried to neuter Gus. It was a poor attempt to make him miserable enough that he would leave on his own fruition.  

As of now, I believe Leath and Harbert are regrouping and trying to formulate another plan of attack that willminimize any backlash on them. Both are in very perilous positions and have been told that. Leath is looking for coverage for his future employment and Harbert is trying to remain a central player with his power/influence intact.

Archived