2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Sorry I haven’t been on much lately. Summer is busier than the rest of the year for me.

Looking at the recruiting rankings we’re sitting in 8th if you look at the average rating for each player.

Really the only thing keeping us from being higher is that a lot of schools have 20+ committed players.

It’s crazy to me the number of kids already committed at this time.

I think we’ll continue to close out well. 

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Sorry I haven’t been on much lately. Summer is busier than the rest of the year for me.

Looking at the recruiting rankings we’re sitting in 8th if you look at the average rating for each player.

Really the only thing keeping us from being higher is that a lot of schools have 20+ committed players.

It’s crazy to me the number of kids already committed at this time.

I think we’ll continue to close out well. 

9th in rating per player, Bama, OU, Ohio St, Oregon, Texas, FSU, UGA, & Penn St have higher averages.

1 interesting note though is we are tied for the most top 50 commits at 3 with UGA.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I sure am feeling the need for a Boom.   

You’ll have to wait at least two weeks more than likely. We are in a dead period Now and there is no Plans for any more July Booms..

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

You’ll have to wait at least two weeks more than likely. We are in a dead period Now and there is no Plans for any more July Booms..

I know.  Just sharing my feelings....   sigh...  family you know? 

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

This dead period...

IMG_1303.GIF

Basically cuz Keith is in England right now.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Basically cuz Keith is in England right now.

I heard about that.  Some Cricket team has hired him to cover their recruiting.  Wish him the best...

15 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

And covering futböl?

Just Cricket.  In the contract was an exclusivity agreement, and a 2 year non-compete for any sport in the country of England.  There are more juicy articles to write in Cricket anyways.  You should hear some of those recruiting pitches made to recruits.  It can get physical too.  I heard two coaches had to box for the commitment of a 7 star recruit (they grade their guys out of 8 stars over there).

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I heard about that.  Some Cricket team has hired him to cover their recruiting.  Wish him the best...

Lol. He’s at The Open on vacation

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Just Cricket.  In the contract was an exclusivity agreement, and a 2 year non-compete for any sport in the country of England.  There are more juicy articles to write in Cricket anyways.  You should hear some of those recruiting pitches made to recruits.  It can get physical too.  I heard two coaches had to box for the commitment of a 7 star recruit (they grade their guys out of 8 stars over there).

Covering Cricket can take days or weeks....  lol.  For one game, it becomes old news even before the cricket is over.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So 3* S Quinton Newsome just tweeted this...

As far as I can tell there hasn't been much mention of him on any AU site.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

so your not sure if he is a take or not?

Have no clue but given there has been no AU reports on him (& how tight our numbers are in this class I would think not.

36 minutes ago, ATOTiger said:

Is the lack of any running backs for 2019 and only 1 for 2020 a concern?  We seem to have a decent target list, but no visitors seems odd. 

No. The NCAA new Summer Calendar has screwed things up for most teams. There used to be 2 or 3 weekends in late July-Early August for recruits to visit schools. Now there is only 1 weekend & nearly every school has an event today.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, from @ellitor's post above, it sounds like it can be the difference between us getting a serious look and not even being considered. 

In response to your subsequent post, though, you're right. It can't be spun into a positive for Auburn that we can land 2 alpha guys like this early and still not close on guys they gave us a leg up on. 

We'll see how we finish. We've been doomier and gloomier than this, even accounting for the accelerated timeline with the December signing date, and finished quite well. But it will be a bummer if all these hints of a special class from the analysts, coaches and recruits don't materialize. 

This 2019 class is good but far from elite. Have a couple of our commits seriously flirting with multiple schools and our top commit is feeling a ton of pressure to stay in his home state. Need to come out of the gate this year and destroy Washington and get some momentum. 

KJ was a damn warrior for us last year. But his comments about Gus and AU inreards to the way he was used is destroying us on the recruiting trail right now. Especially on Gus's side of the ball.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This 2019 class is good but far from elite. Have a couple of our commits seriously flirting with multiple schools and our top commit is feeling a ton of pressure to stay in his home state. Need to come out of the gate this year and destroy Washington and get some momentum. 

KJ was a damn warrior for us last year. But his comments about Gus and AU inreards to the way he was used is destroying us on the recruiting trail right now. Especially on Gus's side of the ball.  

Destroying us beyond the RB position? Regardless, I'm glad he said it. Even if it burns us in the short term, Gus always needs to get hit over the head with a sledgehammer before he'll learn a lesson. Of course, the 2016 uga game should have been sledgehammer enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Destroying us beyond the RB position? Regardless, I'm glad he said it. Even if it burns us in the short term, Gus always needs to get hit over the head with a sledgehammer before he'll learn a lesson. Of course, the 2016 uga game should have been sledgehammer enough. 

Beyond but just destroying AU with RB's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No doubt OP was trying like hell to make it happen. 

I agree with you, @GwillMac6 but in all due respect, it is not OPs job to recruit. Nor should comments made by KJ determine our RB recruiting. And Gus’s contract situation can no longer be an issue. Bottom line to me is that we are getting beat for more top talent than we are winning for, and our coaches need to close stronger and earlier.  We have our share of studs committed, but we are still fighting with MSU for a 4th or 5th place finish in the SEC West. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you, @GwillMac6 but in all due respect, it is not OPs job to recruit. Nor should comments made by KJ determine our RB recruiting. And Gus’s contract situation can no longer be an issue. Bottom line to me is that we are getting beat for more top talent than we are winning for, and our coaches need to close stronger and earlier.  We have our share of studs committed, but we are still fighting with MSU for a 4th or 5th place finish in the SEC West. 

So comments made by the SEC Offensive Player of the Year shouldn't have any effect on recruiting? Had and is having huge ramifications. Other schools are just hammering this to recruits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So comments made by the SEC Offensive Player of the Year shouldn't have any effect on recruiting? Had and is having huge ramifications. Other schools are just hammering this to recruits. 

Even worse, they're right this time. 

• Like 3

It is almost as if they have been notified by a good bit of their top targets that they are going elsewhere and they have started  looking hard at 2020.  I am glad they are looking hard at these guys and trying to get on them early.  We simply have to do something different at our recruiting efforts concerning the RB position.  It ain't working.  Yes we have proven that we can plug guys in and get 1000 yards out of them in a season.  We need to hit on some elite guys where they each get 850-900 yards a season while RB#3 is getting 700 yards as well.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I guess I missed his comments.  Do you have a link so I may read what KJ said?

Edited by abw0004