Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

22 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Gus would start this guy.

Pink Elephants and the Black Knight - Mike Bland

Pretty much what Sean White was capable of against uga in 2016. It was clear as day on TV. Gus blamed Sean for not telling him that he couldn't throw the ball 5 yards downfield. 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

All this is very misleading.   In 2016, AU lost 2 of the first 3 games.   Took a broken leg play at the goal line from losing to Ole Miss.   

Hear is something to think about...If Auburn was truly a top ten team during the time that CGM has been the head coach, it wouldn’t have a losing record to LSU, Georgia and a split win/loss with MSU.  A loss to Tennessee.  

During this current run by Alabama, as long as AU is beating the other teams, I think you would see a top ten program and a fan base that would fully be behind its head coach 

...And in 2 of those 4 years we were ranked in the top 10 going into the 2nd half of the season, we won only 8 games and lost 5. Those are not good years in my book.

...And if we don't beat LSU and/or GA/Alabama, then you can make that 3 of the 5 years we were ranked in the top 10, and going into the bowl game ended up ranked 15th or lower in the polls and not in the playoff picture. 

How anyone can say that we should be happy w/ a coach who gets us to the top 10 going into the 2nd half, instead of wanting us to be in the top 10 going into the SECC is not how I want us to be in college football.

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We actually do speak two very different languages.

The language I speak is a desire for Auburn to win big games and conference championships, get in the playoffs and win national championships. I think our best chance to reach those goals in the near future is with Gus Malzahn as Auburn's head coach.

The idea of buying a grab bag at the county fair, pulling our next coach out of it and expecting great things to happen is preposterous in my language.

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The language I speak is a desire for Auburn to win big games and conference championships, get in the playoffs and win national championships. I think our best chance to reach those goals in the near future is with Gus Malzahn as Auburn's head coach.

The idea of buying a grab bag at the county fair, pulling our next coach out of it and expecting great things to happen is preposterous in my language.

You are delusional if you think gus is a coach capable of sustained elite performance. He is a 8-9 win coach stuck in his own egotistical idiology that his O is still relevant. 

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The language I speak is a desire for Auburn to win big games and conference championships, get in the playoffs and win national championships.

Okay, this is going better than I expected!

I think our best chance to reach those goals in the near future is with Gus Malzahn as Auburn's head coach.

Oh. :(

Gus is 19-21 in big games if you define big games as bama, uga, LSU, TAMU, our biggest non-con opponent, and post-season games. This includes wins over teams such as Louisville and Kansas State. 

He is 2-4 against LSU, 2-5 against uga, and 2-4 against bama. 

He is 7-7 against the SEC East, but he is 0-4 against that division in his last 4 outings.

He is 2-4 in bowl games. 

He is 7-5 against TAMU and MSU. I had to add in the TAMU games to get that above .500.

It's preposterous in anyone's language. But nobody has suggested that in English, which is the language that the rest of us predominantly speak on this board. Now, I know that you don't speak gif, twitter or any of the other sublanguages that are occasionally used, but nobody has expressed a desire to "randomly" "pull our next coach out of" a "grab bag" in those languages, either. I wanted to assume a lack of comprehension on your part because the alternatives seem less desirable.  

You may disagree with the names, and that's fine. But people didn't "randomly" produce them. It's an embarrassing, failed attempt at insult to suggest otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, this is going better than I expected!

Oh. :(

Gus is 19-21 in big games if you define big games as bama, uga, LSU, TAMU, our biggest non-con opponent, and post-season games. This includes wins over teams such as Louisville and Kansas State. 

He is 2-4 against LSU, 2-5 against uga, and 2-4 against bama. 

He is 7-7 against the SEC East, but he is 0-4 against that division in his last 4 outings.

He is 2-4 in bowl games. 

He is 7-5 against TAMU and MSU. I had to add in the TAMU games to get that above .500.

It's preposterous in anyone's language. But nobody has suggested that in English, which is the language that the rest of us predominantly speak on this board. Now, I know that you don't speak gif, twitter or any of the other sublanguages that are occasionally used, but nobody has expressed a desire to "randomly" "pull our next coach out of" a "grab bag" in those languages, either. I wanted to assume a lack of comprehension on your part because the alternatives seem less desirable.  

You may disagree with the names, and that's fine. But people didn't "randomly" produce them. It's an embarrassing, failed attempt at insult to suggest otherwise. 

@Mikey, I'm not the type to pile on you or really anyone else on here but this sword you seem willing to fall on for Gus doesn't make sense to a lot of us. As Loof points out Gus just isn't going to take us where we want to go. History is repeating itself. That's not to say he won't catch lightning in a bottle at some point. That's exactly what happened in 2013. The year in and year out results don't support the theory that he will be any more successful than what he has been. Gus is a nice guy, we all like him, but he is an 8 win coach 4 out of 5 seasons. That's the reality that we see. 

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

@Mikey, I'm not the type to pile on you or really anyone else on here but this sword you seem willing to fall on for Gus doesn't make sense to a lot of us. As Loof points out Gus just isn't going to take us where we want to go. History is repeating itself. That's not to say he won't catch lightning in a bottle at some point. That's exactly what happened in 2013. The year in and year out results don't support the theory that he will be any more successful than what he has been. Gus is a nice guy, we all like him, but he is an 8 win coach 4 out of 5 seasons. That's the reality that we see. 

Yet, aside from Bob Stoops who may not have the slightest interest in coaching at Auburn, I've seen no names of coaching prospects that have as good a record as Gus at equivalent levels of competition. I've seen several names in prior years that have since fallen on their faces but not a single one whose subsequent success brings out an "Oh golly, we should have hired that guy when we had a chance" response.

Who ya' got? A coordinator that's never run a program? An up and comer similar to the guy at Ole Miss? Yes, I do think our best shot at our next SEC/NC is with supporting the current coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yet, aside from Bob Stoops who may not have the slightest interest in coaching at Auburn, I've seen no names of coaching prospects that have as good a record as Gus at equivalent levels of competition.

Yet, neither did the 4 coaches prior to Gus. Yet, all 4 of them had at least 1 season better than anything Gus has done. 

Oh, and Gus didn't have a record as good as his current one at an equivalent level of competition, either. In fact, he'd only been a head coach for 1 year, and never at a P5 school.

As for names, you're on page 16 of the thread.

Somebody's got a case of the Fridays! Lol!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for names, you're on page 16 of the thread.

Thanks for proving my point. 16 pages and nobody has come up with a prospect that's better than the guy we already have on board.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yet, aside from Bob Stoops who may not have the slightest interest in coaching at Auburn, I've seen no names of coaching prospects that have as good a record as Gus at equivalent levels of competition. I've seen several names in prior years that have since fallen on their faces but not a single one whose subsequent success brings out an "Oh golly, we should have hired that guy when we had a chance" response.

Who ya' got? A coordinator that's never run a program? An up and comer similar to the guy at Ole Miss? Yes, I do think our best shot at our next SEC/NC is with supporting the current coaching staff.

Apparently nobody thinks this is important...so they are willing to bring in a coach who has never even been a HC against the level of competition that AU faces just about every week. :dunno: much less won some games against them.  

I mean, where is the guy who has 19 wins in "big games"  at the SEC level on his resume ( or even half that many) who is gonna leave where he is?     And the idea that some current "coordinator" or Group of Five  coach will somehow be able to recruit against NS or KS and beat them half the time without any history?    Lots of dreamers out there willing to throw away a pretty solid program on the very slim odds of striking gold with a new coach.    Sorry...I don't see it...

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Apparently nobody thinks this is important...so they are willing to bring in a coach who has never even been a HC against the level of competition that AU faces just about every week. :dunno: much less won some games against them.  

I mean, where is the guy who has 19 wins in "big games"  at the SEC level on his resume ( or even half that many) who is gonna leave where he is?     And the idea that some current "coordinator" or Group of Five  coach will somehow be able to recruit against NS or KS and beat them half the time without any history?    Lots of dreamers out there willing to throw away a pretty solid program on the very slim odds of striking gold with a new coach.    Sorry...I don't see it...

This is not logical. You are not making any sense. Your only valid point is that our program is "pretty solid".

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

As far as coordinators who haven't run a program before, it's not impossible. Lincoln Riley is doing pretty well. You can't be afraid to take a chance and make a change. Before LSU Orgeron hadn't been in the right situation but look at him now. I don't have the definitive answer for a replacement any more than you could know that Gus will lead us to the top. Your faith in Gus is just that. Faith is described as being sure of what you hope for and being certain of what you don't see. You and I are split on that because you seem to be sure of what you hope in Gus for but I am certain of what I haven't seen. Gus hasn't shown he can take the next step as a head coach. Seven years is more than enough time. There has been little to no evolution with him. I am resigned to the fact that he will probably be at Auburn next season but after that I'm not convinced. He needs to turn the tables on our biggest rivals. If he can't do that then he can't be retained simply because Auburn is afraid to change. Auburn has to be afraid NOT to make a change. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

you seem to be sure of what you hope in Gus

Not at all. I am sure that Gus gives us a better shot a big things than the gaggle of names that have been proposed above.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Not at all. I am sure that Gus gives us a better shot a big things than the gaggle of names that have been proposed above.

These are just names and not saying that they will come or have any interest.   But a good AD will make the appropriate phone calls to and gauge the interest.  

Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Jim Tressel, Matt Campbell.  All but Campbell are currently not coaching and I’m not sure they even want to coach again.  But they are all better head coaches than CGM.  

I believe Campbell is a much better coach and would be a great hire.   

Coordinators that are out there that I think will make good HC if given a chance.   Dave Aranda, Jim Leonhard.

Coaches that I believe would use the potential of Auburn’s resources better.   Mike Bobo, Hugh Freeze and Jim McElvin

Again, this is only my opinion but I will repeat what I said when he was hired.   I didn’t think he was the right hire and thought the people making the decision went with the safe pick.   If it weren’t for one miraculous play ( I’m not even including the Kick 6) Auburn would have gone 10-2 his first year and I’m not sure he would have gotten this extension 

Well at least none of the Gus cult today has used the to their go to argument of: we don't want to become another Tennessee!!!!!!! Lol so progress baaaay beeeee!!!! Haha

downloadfile-4.gif

PJ Fleck is the only person who I would throw money at should we make a coaching change. Western Michigan and now Minnesota is pretty impressive no matter how you swing it.

I don't want to give $10m to Stoops, he wouldn't have anything to play for really.

Edit: Wrote the wrong michigan...

On 10/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Any school looking for a new coach should have Bill Clark on the list. Wins at UAB, program shuts down, rebuilds program from ground up, and goes bowling first year back. Follows with 11 wins, then loses 30 seniors, and is 5-1 again. Also ignited significant faculty upgrades. He doesn’t rely on a particular scheme, or franchise players. Just knows how to build and run a top notch program. Impressive guy. 

Stoops

Clark

Fleck

Ruhle

Any of the guys would be great!  I just hope Gus will evolve into the kind of coach we want. After 7 years, I worry some but still have some faith that he can turn into a very good  coach.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, McLoofus said:

Imagine anyone being simple-minded enough to think that that is a meaningful comparison. 

First seasons don't count. You said that. Your numbers are useless. I mean, they're useless for several reasons. But I just wanted to point out the reason that you yourself said that they are useless.

Also, constantly calling other people whiners for criticizing a sub .700 coach on a football forum is a really great way to demonstrate how much less whiny you are than them. Nothing ironic or hypocritical about that whatsoever.

41 to 23 ks over okie.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:11 AM, bigbird said:

Would you say he's maturing as a coach?

How do you think LK would do with the offensive talent we have?

Defense is worn down. After that 4 yard pass we should have ran the ball to the outside and get to 3rd and short. Bo keeps throwing behind the receiver. Sal has to use that big body a little better. OL needs to sack up. 

Archived