Friday noon in a small Alabama town

Mikey

Not so far from Auburn, 40 miles, plus or minus. First stop is at the grocery store. Numbers of people in AU gear, some locals and others from out of town stocking up for their tailgating on the morrow. Lots of high fives and a War Eagle here and there. One checkout clerk has a bammer shirt on. There are some bammers around, but not many.

Next at the feed and seed store, the young guy loading my truck is in a great mood. He's taking his new girlfriend to her first Auburn game tomorrow. I tell him he should remind her to wear comfortable walking shoes.

Then on to the drug store to pick up a prescription. The pharmacist, wearing an orange shirt with the AU logo on it comes out from behind the counter to talk a little Auburn football. We both think Plumlee, the Ol' Miss QB, can cause us some trouble. He's a great athlete, Auburn and other major schools recruited him as a DB.

Then a stop at the cafe for lunch. There's a young family there with their little girl dressed up in one of those AU cheerleader uniforms for tots. Across the isle from her sits an older man, old enough to be somebody's great-grandpa. He and the little girl are doing War Eagle cheers back and forth to each other. He tries a "Track Em' Tigers" and the mom says she hasn't mastered that one yet.

My veterinarian calls on the cell phone. He's got two unexpected out of town guests arriving and he's looking around for some extra tickets for tomorrow's game. I don't have any extras but he asks about one of my horses that has a bad foot and I ask about his kid that's been sick.

Then I'm driving home and I think what a pleasant couple of hours it was. This is the Auburn I know and love. Lots of positive AU fans, proud of their team and their school. Not a single person walking around with his or her head down. I didn't hear anyone gripe, whine or crybaby about our team, which has a 6-2 record against what was acknowledged as the toughest schedule in college football.

There's a whole world of Auburn people out there with smiles on their faces and the Auburn Creed in their hearts. Maybe more of us should push back from the keyboard and join them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not so far from Auburn, 40 miles, plus or minus. First stop is at the grocery store. Numbers of people in AU gear, some locals and others from out of town stocking up for their tailgating on the morrow. Lots of high fives and a War Eagle here and there. One checkout clerk has a bammer shirt on. There are some bammers around, but not many.

Next at the feed and seed store, the young guy loading my truck is in a great mood. He's taking his new girlfriend to her first Auburn game tomorrow. I tell him he should remind her to wear comfortable walking shoes.

Then on to the drug store to pick up a prescription. The pharmacist, wearing an orange shirt with the AU logo on it comes out from behind the counter to talk a little Auburn football. We both think Plumlee, the Ol' Miss QB, can cause us some trouble. He's a great athlete, Auburn and other major schools recruited him as a DB.

Then a stop at the cafe for lunch. There's a young family there with their little girl dressed up in one of those AU cheerleader uniforms for tots. Across the isle from her sits an older man, old enough to be somebody's great-grandpa. He and the little girl are doing War Eagle cheers back and forth to each other. He tries a "Track Em' Tigers" and the mom says she hasn't mastered that one yet.

My veterinarian calls on the cell phone. He's got two unexpected out of town guests arriving and he's looking around for some extra tickets for tomorrow's game. I don't have any extras but he asks about one of my horses that has a bad foot and I ask about his kid that's been sick.

Then I'm driving home and I think what a pleasant couple of hours it was. This is the Auburn I know and love. Lots of positive AU fans, proud of their team and their school. Not a single person walking around with his or her head down. I didn't hear anyone gripe, whine or crybaby about our team, which has a 6-2 record against what was acknowledged as the toughest schedule in college football.

There's a whole world of Auburn people out there with smiles on their faces and the Auburn Creed in their hearts. Maybe more of us should push back from the keyboard and join them.

Wow, much change, such difference.

Where I grew up in Alabama, everyone changed their day to day lives based on the fall Saturday that preceded it.

Auburn just won? Smile at a neighbor. Give a friendly greeting.

Bama just lost? Shoot your lover/brother. Burn down the trailer park.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Mikey, that's a great post because it's true in a lot of cases. The reason it's true is because the vast majority of us do have lives that go on each day that have huge parts where we don't complain about Gus. We have smiles on our faces and enjoy being Auburn fans. In Mississippi when I see someone in an Auburn shirt or cap I say War Eagle. I don't stop to talk about Gus...

But then we come on here and this is where we can voice our opinion with others who see things the same way because it's a discussion board. There's nothing wrong with it but I'll personally draw the line at bashing players and other posters. We aren't less of a fan or supporter than you are or the people in your town. 

One more point though, this is an anonymous board so how do you know whether or not your pharmacist or your veterinarian is not one of the people on here complaining. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Mikey, that's a great post because it's true in a lot of cases. The reason it's true is because the vast majority of us do have lives that go on each day that have huge parts where we don't complain about Gus. We have smiles on our faces and enjoy being Auburn fans. In Mississippi when I see someone in an Auburn shirt or cap I say War Eagle. I don't stop to talk about Gus...

But then we come on here and this is where we can voice our opinion with others who see things the same way because it's a discussion board. There's nothing wrong with it but I'll personally draw the line at bashing players and other posters. We aren't less of a fan or supporter than you are or the people in your town. 

One more point though, this is an anonymous board so how do you know whether or not your pharmacist or your veterinarian is not one of the people on here complaining. 

Great post, Mikey, and great points, gr82be....we all have our better moments.  Today I put on my overcomer spirit without checking my mind and memory at the door.  

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Wonderful post @Mikey I’m a long way from AU and only get down there every couple of years. But every time I do, its like my first trip to Disney World. I feel like a little kid again. It’s definitely my happy place. And going to school there changed the trajectory of my whole life. We all need to step back sometimes and really remember what makes us AU people, and what makes AU so special. War Eagle!

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Great post! Definitely captured the embodiment of the Auburn family. On my way to Auburn to cheer for the tigers. Will enjoy tailgating with friends and just breathing the air in Auburn! Even though I go to most of the games it is always a special feeling when I pull into town. Hoping for a November to remember! War Eagle!

Mikey, this would have been a nice post had you not griped and whined about those who you view as gripers and whiners. And there are those who complain about the gripers and complainers never giving it a rest, which, in effect, is clearly also not giving it a rest. 

I was enjoying your walk through Americana until you ruined it by not giving it a rest. 

I'm DEFINITELY pushing back from the keyboard for now. I feel like I tiptoe through a mine field here, desparately looking for things that aren't crushing to my spirit. I won't open certain threads. I zoom past posts that drip with sarcasm and angst. I have not even invested but 10-15 minutes on here this week. I've kept it open on my laptop, but just couldn't make myself read much. I personally cannot deal with the negativity. I personally find it bad for my health. Literally, it raises my blood pressure. As I approach the big 6-0, I just can't afford it. I don't begrudge anyone their opinions and I don't necessarily disagree with some of your opinions. But I won't go negative. Y'all have at it. (Some of y'all that have major health issues, please be careful with the negative emotion.)

I choose Mikey's version of Auburn. That may be burying my head in the sand, but I want to live my life looking toward things that are good. So I will continue to just pop in to look at the things I want to here, read more books and spend less time on my laptop. I still believe we have some good games ahead. War Eagle everybody. God Bless You.

Just now, 3rdgeneration said:

I'm DEFINITELY pushing back from the keyboard for now. I feel like I tiptoe through a mine field here, desparately looking for things that aren't crushing to my spirit. I won't open certain threads. I zoom past posts that drip with sarcasm and angst. I have not even invested but 10-15 minutes on here this week. I've kept it open on my laptop, but just couldn't make myself read much. I personally cannot deal with the negativity. I personally find it bad for my health. Literally, it raises my blood pressure. As I approach the big 6-0, I just can't afford it. I don't begrudge anyone their opinions and I don't necessarily disagree with some of your opinions. But I won't go negative. Y'all have at it. (Some of y'all that have major health issues, please be careful with the negative emotion.)

I choose Mikey's version of Auburn. That may be burying my head in the sand, but I want to live my life looking toward things that are good. So I will continue to just pop in to look at the things I want to here, read more books and spend less time on my laptop. I still believe we have some good games ahead. War Eagle everybody. God Bless You.

I agree with you 1000%  Supporting the team during the season......win or lose......is much healthier. Hoping for Auburn to lose just to hurt Gus is inconceivable to me. Nobody likes it when their team loses, but the meltdowns have just taken over completely.  The tone of the posts is insulting to those who still want to have some enjoyment from Auburn football.. Constant griping,whining and complaining is just not an enjoyable way for me to spend my time away from work.  I am participating less and less also. This used to be a fun place to read and post but now it's just......mostly unpleasant......and the overall agenda is to hate on Gus and to criticize players. That's just not anything I want to see on a daily basis because it's not good for me either. 

It's not burying your head in the sand. It's just having a more realistic,well-rounded way of looking at Auburn football......imperfect, needing some work, but still entertaining if you allow yourself to step away from the  "nothing but the negative" mindset. It's a wise choice....not a defect.....to not want to be immersed in all this angst.  

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Great post Mikey enjoy your Auburn day! Too bad others can’t do the same.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I agree with you 1000%  Supporting the team during the season......win or lose......is much healthier. Hoping for Auburn to lose just to hurt Gus is inconceivable to me. Nobody likes it when their team loses, but the meltdowns have just taken over completely.  The tone of the posts is insulting to those who still want to have some enjoyment from Auburn football.. Constant griping,whining and complaining is just not an enjoyable way for me to spend my time away from work.  I am participating less and less also. This used to be a fun place to read and post but now it's just......mostly unpleasant......and the overall agenda is to hate on Gus and to criticize players. That's just not anything I want to see on a daily basis because it's not good for me either. 

It's not burying your head in the sand. It's just having a more realistic,well-rounded way of looking at Auburn football......imperfect, needing some work, but still entertaining if you allow yourself to step away from the  "nothing but the negative" mindset. It's a wise choice....not a defect.....to not want to be immersed in all this angst.  

Who the hell on here is hoping we lose? I haven’t seen one solitary person say that. You folks are unreal.

I guess these rules no longer apply to certain people?

1. No Cursing, Overly Crude Language or Hate Speech.

2. Watch the name-calling.

3. Leave Recruits and Players Alone. (Bo Nix comes to mind)

The good news is this....

Consider how many post on this board.  100 posters maybe?  200-300?

Now consider how many Auburn fans plant their butts in the seats at JHS on any given game day.  75,000-80,000 depending on the opponent?

Then consider the total of AU fans gotta be hundreds of thousands?  Millions?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  There are some here that take this board and what we say WAY WAY WAY too serious.  It's just a place for a very few people (VERY few) to escape, share, vent, etc.  Just considering JHS alone (and not even all other fans in this country & world) "We" only make up .004% (roughly) of Auburn football fans.  

Seriously, this ain't that important.

War Eagle Y'all.

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The good news is this....

Consider how many post on this board.  100 posters maybe?  200-300?

Now consider how Auburn many fans plant their butts in the seats at JHS on any given game day.  75,000-80,000 depending on the opponent?

Then consider the total of AU fans gotta be hundreds of thousands?  Millions?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  There are some here that take this board and what we say WAY WAY WAY too serious.  It's just a place for a very few people (VERY few) to escape, share, vent, etc.  Just considering JHS alone (and not even all other fans in this country & world) "We" only make up .004% (roughly) of Auburn football fans.  

Seriously, this ain't that important.

War Eagle Y'all.

I'm sorry. 

PtsWPCj.gif

Who put a nickel in this version of Mikey today!? Lol. This is not at all the Mike I see posting in here.

Hahaha but seriously Having said that there is not one person I have seen who puts down recruits or players!!! The one and only frustration I see I towards the 49 million dollar man!! I see some people in here everyday acting like if you don't like the coach you don't love Auburn. Our love for Auburn is blind. Our love for our football coach is not! BECAUSE we question him and want better and want the best for Auburn does not mean those of us who think this love Auburn any less than those who support him and any under performing coach no matter what.

Now War damn Bruce Pearl eagle!!!!! Let's hang 50 on the rebel black bears and beat the pisssssssss out of them!!!! Wooooo!!!!! Let's freaking go!!!!!!!

57 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I guess these rules no longer apply to certain people?

1. No Cursing, Overly Crude Language or Hate Speech.

2. Watch the name-calling.

3. Leave Recruits and Players Alone. (Bo Nix comes to mind)

CBC75366-035C-4968-B232-5A408B754F06.jpeg

Lol pull the heart strings but still a great attempt for him to manipulate and tell you to post the way he wants.....I imagine many will fall for it.

Another perspective is that many of those people would talk about the entirety of the season so far but it would be stupid to have that convo when you're just passing by......but hey whatever floats the boat!

3 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

3rd, why on our good God’s green earth would you let message board banter affect you so much? Your appreciated here even by those who may disagree with you because you always show class. Don’t let anyone, including myself, run you off. At the end of the day its just a message board. War Eagle good lady!

3 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Who the hell on here is hoping we lose? I haven’t seen one solitary person say that. You folks are unreal.

Dramatics. It's just the same post phrased different with the same few people talking down and complaining about people who post in a different way than them.....but instead of just ignoring a thread or whatever, there's grandstanding and have to point out I'm holier than thou.....don't buy into it....just a wordy way of passive aggressive I'm better than you and being closed minded. 

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nothing like those old 8-4 Auburn smiles to keep us going...😝

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Dramatics. It's just the same post phrased different with the same few people talking down and complaining about people who post in a different way than them.....but instead of just ignoring a thread or whatever, there's grandstanding and have to point out I'm holier than thou.....don't by into it....just a wordy way of passive aggressive I'm better than you and being closed minded. 

There have been posters who actually did post that more than once. So.....shut up. You have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

Same old miserable,toxic posters trying to bully other posters and acting like they have some superior knowledge. Kinda pathetic that your lives/egos are so wound up in hating a coach and dissing Auburn football all day every day. And ruining a forum.  Nice work.

23 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

There have been posters who actually did post that more than once. So.....shut up. You have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

Same old miserable,toxic posters trying to bully other posters and acting like they have some superior knowledge. Kinda pathetic that your lives/egos are so wound up in hating a coach and dissing Auburn football all day every day. And ruining a forum.  Nice work.

Its not Cole who is bullying round here belle...

Archived