Bo Nix Highlights from UK game

Tigerpro2a

44 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Give Nix a little credit for going to SW on this one. He is used to our offense dying inside the 10. He is used to us not getting TD's inside the redzone so he went for the TD instead of possibly coming up short by not throwing to the endzone.

I like that he has enough trust in Seth to throw that ball, and that he threw it in a place that only Seth could grab it, but it was a 50/50 ball. He can make that throw to Schwartz in his sleep, and its a walk in touchdown. 

39 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Give Nix a little credit for going to SW on this one. He is used to our offense dying inside the 10. He is used to us not getting TD's inside the redzone so he went for the TD instead of possibly coming up short by not throwing to the endzone.

That or he's not used to having multiple options to throw to. 

Regardless, though, it wasn't a great decision and it's mind blowing to me that this is happening again. Seth bails Bo out with an amazing catch and people are splooshing all over the place talking about what a gutsy dime Bo threw. The game winner against Oregon wasn't a particularly good throw and this was not a particularly smart one. The play had no business scoring. I've heard more criticism about Randy Moss Seth Williams's behavior after what might be the best TD catch we see all season than I have about QB1 after this game. 

I'm not trying to crap on Bo at all but he needs to be evaluated honestly like all the other guys. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

At the same time you have to hold him accountable and raise our expectations. The outcome was a win, but at a high risk. He needs to be able to read it better. IMO, he knew where he was throwing it before he even read the defense and that won't always turn out to be a win. He had 3 better/safer options that all would've turned into TDs. Beside Shivers and Schwartz, Shenker had leveraged the safety and a pass to the back pylon scores uncontested

I wish we had a wide view of the field to look at some of these plays where Nix is drifting in the pocket. I'd wager it occurs most often when he's locked onto a receiver - probably Seth - and he's cheating to their side of the field like he did here.  

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

At the same time you have to hold him accountable and raise our expectations. The outcome was a win, but at a high risk. He needs to be able to read it better. IMO, he knew where he was throwing it before he even read the defense and that won't always turn out to be a win. He had 3 better/safer options that all would've turned into TDs. Beside Shivers and Schwartz, Shenker had leveraged the safety and a pass to the back pylon scores uncontested

I 100% agree. It’s not hard to see why he developed a habit on locking onto seth with the state of the passing game last year. But with this new passing game he has to let himself see the whole field and use his other weapons. You have guys like shivers and Schwartz that can house it any time. Not to mention other guys. What’s your opinion on the play where he hit seth on the sideline to the right? He was open but he had Deal right in front of him also, if I’m remembering correctly 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That or he's not used to having multiple options to throw to. 

Regardless, though, it wasn't a great decision and it's mind blowing to me that this is happening again. Seth bails Bo out with an amazing catch and people are splooshing all over the place talking about what a gutsy dime Bo threw. The game winner against Oregon wasn't a particularly good throw and this was not a particularly smart one. The play had no business scoring. I've heard more criticism about Randy Moss Seth Williams's behavior after what might be the best TD catch we see all season than I have about QB1 after this game. 

I'm not trying to crap on Bo at all but he needs to be evaluated honestly like all the other guys. 

1. Great use of the word "sploosh"

2. Gus was splooshing, too, but I'm guessing he wasn't during film review. Luckily, in this instance the tape speaks for itself. 

3. In a vacuum, it was a dime. I think that's where a lot of people are operating from. If he throws it a foot higher and Seth doesn't catch it, I'd expect more bitching and moaning. And, operating from that same vacuum, I am pleased that he has confidence to throw that ball. It at least tells me that he'll be willing to make that shot when it is warranted, and I think there are plenty of guys who wouldn't have the confidence to pull the trigger. 

4. In addition to adjusting to an offense that gives him multiple options, I think it's apparent that he hasn't developed the same chemistry with other receivers that he has with Seth. I think you might attribute that to having no spring ball, but I'd attribute it to our passing scheme last year. If he can start to develop a similar chemistry with just one other receiver, watch out. 

There’s been a 100 threads about our one route option in the passing game over the years and Bo played in that system last year. He had no spring practice and has a new offensive coordinator. I think he needs a tad of slack for the first game in a new offense with probably half the plays being installed at this juncture. He’s now gotten his feet wet and has film to view this week on what he missed ; and I have no doubt this coach’s son, with a high football IQ,  will figure it out quickly. Let’s go “Big Bo Nix”!!!!

War Eagle 🦅 

18 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think he needs a tad of slack for the first game in a new offense with probably half the plays being installed at this juncture.

100%. And that goes for every player on offense. 

33 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

1. Great use of the word "sploosh"

2. Gus was splooshing, too, but I'm guessing he wasn't during film review. Luckily, in this instance the tape speaks for itself. 

3. In a vacuum, it was a dime. I think that's where a lot of people are operating from. If he throws it a foot higher and Seth doesn't catch it, I'd expect more bitching and moaning. And, operating from that same vacuum, I am pleased that he has confidence to throw that ball. It at least tells me that he'll be willing to make that shot when it is warranted, and I think there are plenty of guys who wouldn't have the confidence to pull the trigger. 

4. In addition to adjusting to an offense that gives him multiple options, I think it's apparent that he hasn't developed the same chemistry with other receivers that he has with Seth. I think you might attribute that to having no spring ball, but I'd attribute it to our passing scheme last year. If he can start to develop a similar chemistry with just one other receiver, watch out. 

No argument with any of that.

As an aside, I do listen and process when you talk about the position. And it's cool to occasionally get past *if* something happened and discuss (listen to) *why* certain things *might* have happened. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I 100% agree. It’s not hard to see why he developed a habit on locking onto seth with the state of the passing game last year. But with this new passing game he has to let himself see the whole field and use his other weapons. You have guys like shivers and Schwartz that can house it any time. Not to mention other guys. What’s your opinion on the play where he hit seth on the sideline to the right? He was open but he had Deal right in front of him also, if I’m remembering correctly 

Seth was the correct throw. Deal pulled the coverage down opening up Seth behind

18 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

High risk? How so? No one could catch it but Seth. Now we are bitchin about TDs? It was a perfectly thrown ball to a WR who could go get it. Even Jordan Rogers said so. Your comment is dumber than dumb.

Exactly, only risk was incompletion. 3rd and goal you gotta put it in the end zone and kick a field goal if it falls incomplete. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Because Seth was wide open further down the field; why would you throw it to the shorter option. Dang let’s use some common sense before we start criticizing every throw. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As an aside, I do listen and process when you talk about the position. And it's cool to occasionally get past *if* something happened and discuss (listen to) *why* certain things *might* have happened. 

No doubt. It's my favorite part about coming around here. 

2 minutes ago, rophle said:

Because Seth was wide open further down the field; why would you throw it to the shorter option. Dang let’s use some common sense before we start criticizing every throw. 

Maybe use some common sense before you post, too?

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe use some common sense before you post, too?

Okay, I’ll bite. What did I say that wasn’t common sense, oh wise one?  

24 minutes ago, rophle said:

I think you’re misinterpreting what I was saying. One, I also think it was the correct throw and at the same time it is also the harder throw to the sideline. Two, I was asking bird’s opinion since we were on the topic since he is a coach. You will find few things I criticize Bo about if you read my posts.

19 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

High risk? How so? No one could catch it but Seth. Now we are bitchin about TDs? It was a perfectly thrown ball to a WR who could go get it. Even Jordan Rogers said so. Your comment is dumber than dumb.

Better to throw to single coverage than double coverage; lower risk.  The fact that Seth made the catch doesn't change that.  You won't see many of those types of throws duplicate the same percentage of success is all that's being pointed out.

1 hour ago, rophle said:

Exactly, only risk was incompletion.  

Screenshot_20200928-230228.png

Note the defender crouched on the bottom of the U. If he is one step back or to the right, IMO, the pass is most likely broken up. Now notice Schwartz on the 4 with his defender trailing 3-4 behind.  One pass is over traffic and a poised defender, one is wide open without any congestion between the QB and receiver.

Archived