UGA Transfer WR Demetris Robertson Commits to Auburn!!!

Zeek

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Agree on stats, but those guys dominatated and the stats showed and backed it up. 

I really liked Duke. But I don't think he's a top 10 SEC WR over the last 20 years. There are probably 10 better than him since he last played for us. He ran a slant that was unstoppable tho

Statistically, you're right. But that COMPLETELY ignores what we're saying about the type of offenses we've run. Duke was an elite talent, but he was a head case. Sammie Coates never would have made the NFL if he wasn't an elite talent, not playing for Malzahn.

Oh, and Malzahn's offense is what we ran for 10 of the last 20 years. Or do you think Chizik had more to do with the efforts in 09, 10, and 11? And Tony Franklin for a year, Scot Loeffler for a year...we haven't had an offense that showcased WRs since 05 or so, when Borges was calling the shots. It's difficult to shine in the SEC when you're running high school route trees. Jerry Rice would be blanketed playing for Malzahn.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Statistically, you're right. But that COMPLETELY ignores what we're saying about the type of offenses we've run. Duke was an elite talent, but he was a head case. Sammie Coates never would have made the NFL if he wasn't an elite talent, not playing for Malzahn.

Oh, and Malzahn's offense is what we ran for 10 of the last 20 years. Or do you think Chizik had more to do with the efforts in 09, 10, and 11? And Tony Franklin for a year, Scot Loeffler for a year...we haven't had an offense that showcased WRs since 05 or so, when Borges was calling the shots. It's difficult to shine in the SEC when you're running high school route trees. Jerry Rice would be blanketed playing for Malzahn.

Maybe that's where you guys read me wrong. I said elite WR, discussed nothing wrt "talent". 

We don't have a WR that would make thia centuries "Top WR rankings" its not really debatable. 

Also Coates was a bust in the NFL bc he couldn't catch consistently and only ran well in a straight line. If he was truly elite he would have done well in the NFL. 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

bc he couldn't catch consistently and only ran well in a straight line.

And our staff couldn’t develop him in 4 years on campus. He had more than enough talent to become elite. Just didn’t have elite coaches to help make it happen. Same for Schwartz and several other recent AU WRs.

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

And our staff couldn’t develop him in 4 years on campus. He had more than enough talent to become elite. Just didn’t have elite coaches to help make it happen. Same for Schwartz and several other recent AU WRs.

If he enough talent he would have been utilized correctly in the NFL. 

Slayton is a good example of talent not being utilized. I feel like we got everything out of Coates that we could 

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Slayton is a good example of talent not being utilized. I feel like we got everything out of Coates that we could 

That's fair...but Seth and Schwartz both have the level of talent that they could have been elite. I expect the NFL to show that for at least one of them.

• Like 1

So....has Auburn had an 'elite' WR ?   I am not saying you have to be a consensus all american to be elite.  

Statistically,  Beasley still has crazy numbers....elite. 

Would Sanders be considered elite for his era?   He averaged almost 17 YPC in an era where running was king.  He also collected more yards each year he was at Auburn combining for 1750 yds his last two seasons.      He also averaged 14 YPC in the NFL.   This is the era when Auburn was arguably the premier running program in the country.

Tillman's numbers are also intriguing considering he averaged over 19 YPC, played less than 100 games but had 14 TDs, also during one Auburn's most dominating running era.

I would say Sanders was elite.   

I go with Sanders, Beasley and hopefully someone on our current roster!

Edited by Beaker

This happens way too much on these threads- always veers off of the recruit and heads to an argument.

How about this 5* WR we might pick up?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

So....has Auburn had an 'elite' WR ?   I am not saying you have to be a consensus all american to be elite.  

Would Sanders be considered elite for his era?   He averaged almost 17 YPC in an era where running was king.  He also collected more yards each year he was at Auburn combining for 1750 yds his last two seasons.      He also averaged 14 YPC in the NFL.   This is the era when Auburn was arguably the premier running program in the country.

Tillman's numbers are also intriguing considering he averaged over 19 YPC, played less than 100 games but had 14 TDs, also during one Auburn's most dominating running era.

I'd agree with you on those guys. It says a lot about them that they played ont hat era and are all near the top of career receiving yards

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

How about this 5* WR we might pick up?

He'll be a great addition, at a minimum from a veteran standpoint. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I think I would have to put Darvin Adams in there too. He could catch anything thrown to him. ANd even though he only had 2 really good years they were very good. Both over 900 yds receiving and a total of 17 TDs. He also had a great receiving career in the CFL.

And his 4th down catch in the Alabama game in 2010 was instrumental in us getting the now famous Cam to Lutz TD giving us our first lead of the game in the 4th qtr.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, he was good. He wasn't elite 

This was in response to your "If they were elite, the NFL would have found them and made them good" comment. I'm saying he's been good in the NFL. There's no telling what any of our previous WRs could've been with a coach who knew how to incorporate intermediate passing to their playbook. 

• Like 1

So is Robertson still or an actual Auburn lean?

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

So is Robertson still or an actual Auburn lean?

Yes

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I thought I remembered Coates getting injured twice which kept him off the field in NFL.

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought I remembered Coates getting injured twice which kept him off the field in NFL.

It was his hands, not sure he injured them, but he had way too many drops that were costly and in return lost the trust of his QB, OC, HC and GM.  

• Thanks 1

So, we will be this guy's third school. His production has dropped throughout his college career. Is that correct, or am I mis-reading something? If that's correct, what does he bring to the table other than being rated a 5* several years ago? At this point, I'm not impressed and would rather be looking at some 3* guy at a smaller high school.

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It was his hands, not sure he injured them, but he had way too many drops that were costly and in return lost the trust of his QB, OC, HC and GM.  

This. He was just never a good, consistent catcher of the ball with his hands out away from his body. His physicality and athleticism were excellent but that didn’t translate to being an NFL caliber WR. Not sure that the coaching staff was to blame for that although the poor utilization and development of WR in general was a hallmark of the previous staff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, we will be this guy's third school. His production has dropped throughout his college career. Is that correct, or am I mis-reading something? If that's correct, what does he bring to the table other than being rated a 5* several years ago? At this point, I'm not impressed and would rather be looking at some 3* guy at a smaller high school.

By all accounts he was a great kid/teammate. At the very least you are adding experienced older player to a very young and inexperienced position group.

It’s not like we can only take one WR right now so there’s no harm in taking Robertson and also recruiting HS players.

6 minutes ago, ArmchairAthlete7 said:

By all accounts he was a great kid/teammate. At the very least you are adding experienced older player to a very young and inexperienced position group.

It’s not like we can only take one WR right now so there’s no harm in taking Robertson and also recruiting HS players.

You do have a point. However, we are already down to only 22 slots for next year's class and out of that, some few will have to be put aside for future transfers. We shouldn't have slots to burn, unless we simply can't sell enough kids on Auburn.

Fact is you can't really know without having at least a decent QB. Then on top of that we didn't have an offense most of the decade where we can even see what the wr's can do really. I think Duke, coates, Slaton, and Williams. But that's more eye test and seeing what they did from limited opportunities than anything.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Fact is you can't really know without having at least a decent QB. Then on top of that we didn't have an offense most of the decade where we can even see what the wr's can do really. I think Duke, coates, Slaton, and Williams. But that's more eye test and seeing what they did from limited opportunities than anything.

I'd add in Davis, Stove, and Schwartz 

• Like 1

There is no reason to not welcome a potential talent like him . Hope he heads this way 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is no reason to not welcome a potential talent like him . Hope he heads this way 

Don't think anyone is saying they don't want him

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think Slayton showed in his first NFL year that we definitely underutilized his WR talent, bc of offensive scheme. We had a QB that could get it to him in his last 2 years in Stidham. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised this guy hasn't committed anywhere yet, whether us or somewhere else. As a transfer with only a year left, you'd think he'd want to get on a campus and start workouts, developing chemistry with QB and teammates, learn playbook, etc.