Bo Nix talks about being benched

Barnacle

Two points about Bo's short interview posted above.  One, look at how many times he referred to "I" and "me" compared to "we" and "team."   The ratio is roughly 3 to 1.    Two, he is quoted as saying "I did the best I could."  Bo is too much of an athlete and a competitor to actually believe this.   If he does believe it, it is an issue.   Bo's best is not missing receivers in the end zone on back to back plays with both throws high and one slightly behind.  His best is better than that.   As others have noted, the first step in correcting a problem is recognizing you have a problem.

• Like 3

I think both qb's play Saturday unless one of them has an extremely hot hand.  Honestly I do not expect that cause neither are very accurate and both are pretty average.   We could potentially see this thing go back and forth over the next few games until one of them takes control.  If neither take control and we go on a losing streak then all bets are off.  

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Don't need luck. Even anti-Bo people have to be tired of seeing every single little thing he ever does being turned into a negative by "fans".

Only Bo can change that narrative, right?

After 3 yrs he's the only person that can cancel out the negative and make the "anti-Bo people" eat their words.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Four things:

1) Who thought it was a good idea for him to speak to the media like this?  Was he fullfilling an NiL deal to do this?  Otherwise, someone should have told him to stay off media. 

2 ) "I feel like I played pretty good" ...he's completely unaware of how badly he has played .

3) "I was shocked". -it gets worse .... he doubles down on his cluelessness ... and contradicts his coach again

4) "Coach Corn' did a good job" - he's now contradicted his head coach three times in an interview

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Instead of saying that he played well, Nix should have simply stated that he played hard or left it all on the field.  I don't doubt that he did play hard.  I also don't doubt that around 30% of the miscues we saw had a lot to do with others not doing their job or being where they were supposed to be.  Even so, it is inescapable that Nix didn't play as well against a 1-2 Ga State team as he did against a top 10 team the week before (and he didn't set the world on fire there either).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Well, one thing I liked about TJ's interview was that he admitted his mistake on 3rd down, and said he'd get it fixed "tomorrow". That's good self-awareness. BTW, I like his decision making on 4th down to not just throw it up, but to work to find an open receiver. 

Yes! I don’t believe Bo would have made that play on fourth down for the TD. 

• Like 1

I have no confidence he will improve much at all. What really concerns me is I’m not sure TJ is any better, maybe worse. I hope I am wrong or this can be a long season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

It's only Monday and I'm hoping things change but I really do believe Harsin might lose some of that locker room if Bo Nix is the starter on Saturday. The amount of energy the players had when Finley came in is something you can't get away from. You fire the WR coach because he's not performing but you're gonna allow Nix to start again despite playing like garbage against GSU. After Finley led the team to a game-winning 98 yard touchdown drive. SMH

I don't know if was energy or a since of urgency.

48 minutes ago, japantiger said:

4) "Coach Corn' did a good job" - he's now contradicted his head coach three times in an interview

#4 is exactly what Harsin said at the beginning and end of his presser. It’s the safe PC thing to say. I’d bet not a single player or fellow coach will go on record and say Corn sucked. I don’t fault him on this one.

• Thanks 1

I have always supported, no- DEFENDED Bo. However, this interview is pretty damning.

1- He has no business addressing the media about this situation, ESPECIALLY if he hasn't spoken to Harsin, ESPECIALLY on an unofficial (not team mediated) capacity

2- The fact that he hasn't spoken directly to Harsin doesn't bode well for Bo.

3- His response actually confirms the beta mentality that this team's previous leadership had. "Did the best we could" and "it wasn't that bad" is putrid. This isn't a beauty pageant. That's NOT going to cut it in the world they live and play in.

4- saying anything about coach Corn is WAY outside of his wheelhouse. That shows a lack of awareness.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I have always supported, no- DEFENDED Bo. However, this interview is pretty damning.

1- He has no business addressing the media about this situation, ESPECIALLY if he hasn't spoken to Harsin, ESPECIALLY on an unofficial (not team mediated) capacity

2- The fact that he hasn't spoken directly to Harsin doesn't bode well for Bo.

3- His response actually confirms the beta mentality that this team's previous leadership had. "Did the best we could" and "it wasn't that bad" is putrid. This isn't a beauty pageant. That's NOT going to cut it in the world they live and play in.

4- saying anything about coach Corn is WAY outside of his wheelhouse. That shows a lack of awareness.

You're correct. We can try to spin it all we want, but at the very least, this interview did him no favors. I get that Bo is not a professional media member, but knowing how Harsin is and his standards I doubt he wants to hear those phrases you mention like "did my best", etc. I said on Saturday that I hoped Bo would find a way out of these interviews this week for his sake. Mostly to save him from more embarrassment than he already endured

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Wtf do you mean? Tons of athletes, in fact most elite athletes, will admit to bad performances. "Yeah I was having a rough day." 

Literally Aaron Rodgers had an abysmal first game this season and he basically came out and said "yeah the offense played like s***, me being number 1."

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Copied and pasted from another board. Interview was on public radio, so hopefully this stays up. 

Bo Nix was on The Next Round today and made his first public comments since he was benched --

Will Bo Nix be the starter?

"Depending on my status, it'll depend on this week in practice. They haven't told me anything. I felt like I played pretty good, but we still need to make big plays. Moving forward, that's up to them. I'll be prepared and ready to go."

Nix seemed to indicate that he got hit and got the wind knocked out of him, then Bryan Harsin made the decision. Nix seemed to hint that he got banged up and that gave Harsin the opportunity to insert Finley. That's simply what Nix said.

Nix: "I was extremely frustrated when they took me out of the game. I thought I was healthy enough to play. I felt like I did the best I could and unfortunately it wasn't my decision. I'm a competitive guy and no matter what, I want to be in the game. That's me.

"I was shocked. I knew that the camera finds you, so I didn't want to draw attention away from our team. I wasn't trying to insert myself and have the attention on me. T.J. did a good job when he went in. He made plays to win the game. I'm happy for him. T.J. and I are getting closer the more we're around each other."

Has Nix spoken to Bryan Harsin?

"I don't think I have to campaign for myself. I did the best I could. I haven't had a conversation with Coach Harsin. That doesn't need to be had. I wouldn't imagine things have changed since the game. I don't know how to react or respond besides go to work every day and be a leader, competitor, and do my job."

On Cornelius Williams' departure:

"Unfortunately, in college football, there's a fine line between winning and losing. When things like this are presented to our team, things like this happen. My dad has been fired and I've seen that. It's tough and nobody wants that. 'Coach Corn' did a good job and we liked having him around. I don't know what's going on, but Coach Harsin did tell us as a team. I think the team was shocked, but that's what Coach wants to do. We have Coach Harsin's back and if he thinks that's what's best, we'll move forward. I hate it for Coach Williams."

If the "best he could do" was miss all those open receivers, then he's in denial.

• Like 1

I admire him for having the intestinal fortitude to go through with this obligation.  20 year old me who go demoted at work in front of everybody and is now being questioned about it wouldn’t have had as much perspective as Bo Nix has in this interview.

I agree that it’s less than ideal for him to speak about it but maybe he had to do it contractually.  The young man has some good character and I’m proud that he’s an Auburn football player.

• Like 4

Not making excuses for Bo, but the Malzahn effect has finally caught up to him.  The kid got no coaching or development for 2 years, Was never challenged once he was named the starter, and now we've got a coach who isn't going to allow mediocrity be good enough anymore.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Strychnine said:

It does not click in his mind that he was playing poorly, and was benched because of it.  That is troubling.  With him thinking that was playing pretty good, can the coaches even work with that?

Ive questioned his “Coachability” for over a year now.

• Like 1

I feel like Bo has been told how great he is and how good he played his whole life. I know his dad has coached him the whole time before he came to Auburn but has he criticized him or corrected things or just let it go  because he won? 

• Thanks 1

Bo lives in an alternate reality. His play has been average to bad since he started at AU. All the stats show it , Numbers don’t lie. I don’t have time to dig them all up either . Time to move on. 

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

Four things:

1) Who thought it was a good idea for him to speak to the media like this?  Was he fullfilling an NiL deal to do this?  Otherwise, someone should have told him to stay off media. 

2 ) "I feel like I played pretty good" ...he's completely unaware of how badly he has played .

3) "I was shocked". -it gets worse .... he doubles down on his cluelessness ... and contradicts his coach again

Nice breakdown. Hope he gets a wake up call this week.  

11 hours ago, AUnMS said:

I admire him for having the intestinal fortitude to go through with this obligation.  20 year old me who go demoted at work in front of everybody and is now being questioned about it wouldn’t have had as much perspective as Bo Nix has in this interview.

I agree that it’s less than ideal for him to speak about it but maybe he had to do it contractually.  The young man has some good character and I’m proud that he’s an Auburn football player.

Good perspective, especially for someone like me who came away preoccupied with the content of the responses. 

Both can be true and should be acknowledged accordingly.

Great post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game prior Bo acknowledged his mistakes in the Penn State game so it isn't like he is delusional.  His shoulder could also be injured from the prior game as well, and if he is, that is on Bobo and Harsin for playing him in the first place.

He may not be the starter moving forward but I am still very proud of him and what he represents at Auburn.  He and Finley appear to be very well spoken and great representatives of this university.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WFE12 said:

All that talk about pulling him and look..funny how this was the year I finally anticipated Auburn football.

Something tells me Harsin isn't one to give his game plan away either :dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Something tells me Harsin isn't one to give his game plan away either :dunno:

He has explicitly stated since the depth chart was released that the starter hasn't yet been decided.