How 'bout them apples?

Rednilla

11 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I wasn't meaning that in a bad way I was just say Idk what's going on In this thread 🤣 

Ok cool. Cheers then 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Don't assume things. I don't get the obsession on this board with Gus.  I have supported every coach we have ever had and that isn't changing with this one.  I want Harsin to do well.  I want Auburn to win.  Some of you get in this dumbfounding love fest after a win and can't imagine something negative being pointed out.  Then we have a Ga State like game and the sky is falling.  

I doubt we have the same coordinators next year.  That doesn't mean that I hate Bobo or don't want Harsin to succeed.  That is just looking at the product on the field. By the way, that field is not void of talent, as we saw last night.  It looked like Harsin was much more involved in the play calling last night and game plan overall.  He did more of what we can do instead of calling plays that a play caller wants us to execute.  That is important for a coach to do when you first inherit a team.

I understand why you might think he was more involved in play calling but what gives you the idea he was “more” involved in game plan than previous. Just curious. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have a long way to go. Long way to go but I have seen in four games now that we adjust and try to strike back in adversity . Now , the key is putting it together for four quarters . Boy if we do that.

Loved the good times we had previously. AU football has been something I’ve loved and has been a pleasant distraction from “real life” for a bunch of years. The last six years or so had driven me to a level of apathy that I really didn’t think was possible. Yes, a few highs that were enjoyable. But generally, if you were paying attention, it was obvious that we weren’t getting better as a program and we were losing ground to the teams that are our main rivals and that (since the early ‘80s)we have been on equal footing with after a bad decade(70’s) To have hope that we can get back to that and really enjoy Auburn football again is a great thing. Nobody here hates Gus. But it’s pretty reasonable to be glad as hell that he’s gone because there was no chance we were going to be consistently competitive with the best programs as long as he was the HC.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Loved the good times we had previously. AU football has been something I’ve loved and has been a pleasant distraction from “real life” for a bunch of years. The last six years or so had driven me to a level of apathy that I really didn’t think was possible. Yes, a few highs that were enjoyable. But generally, if you were paying attention, it was obvious that we weren’t getting better as a program and we were losing ground to the teams that are our main rivals and that (since the early ‘80s)we have been on equal footing with after a bad decade(70’s) To have hope that we can get back to that and really enjoy Auburn football again is a great thing. Nobody here hates Gus. But it’s pretty reasonable to be glad as hell that he’s gone because there was no chance we were going to be consistently competitive with the best programs as long as he was the HC.

Hope is key and yesterday provided that which is why I am so excited . I feel once CBH gets his players in , we truly will see some program changing dynamics .

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

We really turning this one into another argument thread, geez can't we have one topic that's not an argument 😎

Agreed.  It’s not only the team that needs a culture change.  We can do better  

When pride comes, then comes disgrace,but with humility comes wisdom”

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways“

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

We really turning this one into another argument thread, geez can't we have one topic that's not an argument 😎

Too many people suffering from Gus PTSD…..it’s a real thing. Gus screwed up a lot of posters heads around here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Too many people suffering from Gus PTSD…..it’s a real thing. Gus screwed up a lot of posters heads around here. 

It’s (arguing Malzahn vs Harsin) the whole basis for the thread. I’m assuming Rednilla got exactly what he was shooting for.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, metafour said:

Auburn fans ... are living in loony land.

Get off my lawn!

😀

• Haha 4

Personally, I don't understand the people who can say anything this entire football season WITHOUT mentioning Gus. He was here for a decade total and is the absolute reason that our team is what it is, for better or worse. This is the (only, IMHO) year that we can collectively blame Malzahn for the positives and negatives. 

Those of you that wish to pretend he was just a good dude so he gets a pass don't understand the economics of how much money we paid him for upper middle of the pack results. If you watch games (in person, or on TV), buy any merchandise with the interlocking AU, or provide any public support for Auburn PERIOD then you're directly involved in that investment and should DEMAND appropriate returns.

Imagine spending $100 on a lottery ticket and "winning" $65. That's what happened to Auburn for 8 straight years. To not be a bit chapped by that means you either don't care OR have a much better rationalization capacity than I do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its our first road win against one of the big 3 rivals since the 2010 Iron Bowl.

Wow, that's sad and crazy at the same time. What a world of difference from when I was growing up...beat Ugay in Athens in 93,95,97,99, and 2001 and the Corndogs in Baton Rogue in 1993, 1997, and 1999. Beat the Updykes in Tuscaloosa in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006. Truly the good ole days. Can we get some of that back, please?

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Wow, that's sad and crazy at the same time. What a world of difference from when I was growing up...beat Ugay in Athens in 93,95,97,99, and 2001 and the Corndogs in Baton Rogue in 1993, 1997, and 1999. Beat the Updykes in Tuscaloosa in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006. Truly the good ole days. Can we get some of that back, please?

Have to get more Mike’s at UAT.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Me too. That  was a different world. IMO, we didn’t get worse. We just, with a couple few exceptional years that were awesome, just never quuuuuite kept up with the Jones’s.

3 minutes ago, War Eagle 96 said:

Me too. That  was a different world. IMO, we didn’t get worse. We just, with a couple few exceptional years that were awesome, just never quuuuuite kept up with the Jones’s.

Yeah I feel the same way. Program has been about the same since I was a kid while our rivals just kept getting better coaching and more nfl players than us. Pretty simple I think. Just sucks. I freaking love Auburn football. Its been an obsession of mine for over 30 years. 

Edited by twilli13

Guest MustardSeed
24 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I’d rather go back to the 80s. Big train, little train and freight train!

I was just a little one then but I remember. Those Dye teams were flat out nasty

12 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Malzahn was 0-13 against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia away from Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Bryan Harsin is 1-0.

Yeah, it's early, but I genuinely believe we are heading in the right direction. Probably going to take a couple of years before we're competing for championships, but this win gives Harsin a bit of a signature to carry him forward, pushing away those who would nag and complain and end up running him off before he's able to implement his system. 

I'm hoping a good showing on the road against Penn St. and a come from behind win in Baton Rouge to break a 22 year losing streak is getting the attention of top flight recruits, all positions. We need them...BAD!

12 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Just an FYI,

Every coach at every school will be compared to the previous coach at said school. Especially when the previous coach was fired for lack of success. Gus was compared to Chizik. Chizik compared to Tubbs, Tubbs compared to Terry and Terry was compared to Dye.  And that’s just in my lifetime.

Gus will be brought up and compared to because it is required to compare to the previous staffs to analyze if levels of improvement are being achieved  

Harsin being 1-0 in a situation where Gus was 0-13 is extremely noteworthy. He deserves recognition for that. Even if he doesn’t work out it’s a very positive sign at the moment  

Great take.  Could not have said it better myself.

20 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Just an FYI,

Every coach at every school will be compared to the previous coach at said school. Especially when the previous coach was fired for lack of success. Gus was compared to Chizik. Chizik compared to Tubbs, Tubbs compared to Terry and Terry was compared to Dye.  And that’s just in my lifetime.

Gus will be brought up and compared to because it is required to compare to the previous staffs to analyze if levels of improvement are being achieved  

Harsin being 1-0 in a situation where Gus was 0-13 is extremely noteworthy. He deserves recognition for that. Even if he doesn’t work out it’s a very positive sign at the moment  

This is exactly right.  The only problem I see is some folks are incredibly insulting in their comparisons and critiques about our former and current coaching staff.  I just think the insults and belittling type of stuff is unhelpful to the AU football program as a whole by sowing seeds of doubt in the minds of Auburn football supporters, players and potential recruits or recruit's parents, imho.

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
14 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

This is exactly right.  The only problem I see is some folks are incredibly insulting in their comparisons and critiques about our former and current coaching staff.  I just think the insults and belittling type of stuff is unhelpful to the AU football program as a whole by sowing seeds of doubt in the minds of Auburn football supporters, players and potential recruits or recruit's parents, imho.

Agreed. It’s all about what seeds are we sowing.  When we sow seeds of discord we reap what we sow. This is why we are supposed to not let any unwholesome words come from our mouths but to only speak that which is good for edification (building each other up). We all need to check our hearts and evaluate the intent behind our words.  

22 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Hopefully they'll listen to you because they never do when I say it. 

23 hours ago, autiger88 said:

No it should happen this year I won't like him if he doesnt do it, he has to win against bama three times this year or I won't be impressed 🙂

I give them a pass on doing it three times this year if.... they beat uga and bama twice. This weekend and SEC Champ for uga and Iron Bowl and CFP for bama. If Harsin can't do that he doesn't deserve to be in the SEC.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, MustardSeed said:

lol, even if he goes  0 for the next 12, he is still better than Gus.

And no, that is not my expectation. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:58 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Its our first road win against one of the big 3 rivals since the 2010 Iron Bowl.

That’s ridiculous. UCF is figuring out the snake oil plan after the loss to an  0-3 Navy team. 

Edited by Swamp Eagle

On 10/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, Rednilla said:

But you don't believe he will, is that it?

Not the poster to whom you are addressing your question, but I think it's going to be very hard for Harsin to have the kind of success fans demand in today's game.  And I think that because of the competition for talent.

IMO one of three things has got to happen for Auburn to sit on top of the SEC in the current environment:

1.  Auburn has got to have more than a good coach.  Auburn has got to have a name coach.  Harsin is not a name coach and it's unlikely that he has enough talent on the current team to become a name coach without having some edge on getting significantly more talent in.  In other words, he's not got the talent to light the world on fire here and make a name for himself with the talent he currently has, so that isn't going to be the phenomenon that gets him more talent.  Classic catch-22.  You don't have the talent so you don't have the draw, but you can't create the draw b/c you don't have the talent.

2.  We could work the NIL angle better than any of our competition.  Also unlikely IMO.  uat has a 10-12 year headstart on everyone else doing this.  I'd be shocked if just because it's now legal, we figure out how to out-pay UGA and uat and Florida and Texas A&M and (now) Texas and Oklahoma and LSU.  But, who knows?  That could happen, it's just not very likely.

3.  Other teams that we directly compete with will need to become weaker.  This has already apparently happened to LSU, but it's unlikely to happen to the rest of the competition any time soon.

I think Harsin's chances of Auburn fans being happy with him in 3 more seasons are slim.  And I really don't think it has much to do with him, either.  He may be a very good coach.  But unless he's an Urban Meyer-level coach (which I think we would have seen evidence of so far), he may have too uphill a battle at this particular point in time. 

All the ridiculous emphasis on the post-season has shortened the average fan's attention span to nothing and their patience level to even shorter.  I think it could be the right guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Classic catch-22.  You don't have the talent so you don't have the draw, but you can't create the draw b/c you don't have the talent.

17 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I think Harsin's chances of Auburn fans being happy with him in 3 more seasons are slim.

One thing he can do in 3 seasons is get guys in the NFL at a higher clip than his predecessor. If he can do that, then it will be a strong recruiting pitch unto itself. 

We're going to get a certain caliber of player just by being Auburn. It won't be enough to beat the behemoths on the schedule but it will be clay that can be molded into NFL talent. If Harsin earns a rep as a guy that can do that, more talent will come. 

It's a difficult and precarious path, but not impossible. What isn't possible is winning big without elite talent. So he's going to have to figure out how to get it. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, Bro Johnny Mac said:

The ability of Harsin and staff to make halftime adjustments is light years... ahead of what we had the last eight years.

We will continue to improve as the staff learns what the players are capable of doing in these new systems.

How about a field coach that makes adjustments all game long, plays no favorites and will pull you if you need a wake up. 

• Like 1