LSU game. What actually happened

cole256

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm happy the coaches finally decided to stop trying to make him a pro qb and use his strengths....no different than someone like Nick Marshall. 

I think this is a good point. Let Bo go wild and beat opponents with his legs as well as his arm.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

I think this is a good point. Let Bo go wild and beat opponents with his legs as well as his arm.

I think increased confidence in TJ allowed the coaches to let Bo run more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

LSU came in saying they are going to stop the run. While we can't just say we don't care if there's 8 in the box we're going to still run.

We talked about this in the first half.

There was one play I swear they had 5-6 down lineman and 3 LB or Safeties in the box and we still tried to run. I think tank maybe manufacturer a yard by bouncing it outside, but we've got to check out of those plays and put us in a good position to succeed 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There was one play I swear they had 5-6 down lineman and 3 LB or Safeties in the box and we still tried to run. I think tank maybe manufacturer a yard by bouncing it outside, but we've got to check out of those plays and put us in a good position to succeed 

Going from last game uga is going to blitz but they are going to be not balls to the wall, they are going make sure they contain so that should give us an extra second or two. They are going to pretty much run the D we have been running. So we are going to have to play action and beat them over the top. This and the bammer game is going to be the most important down field games that we have. They are going to single coverage us and press us. 

We are going to have to have some explosive plays. If we catch them early a time or two then they'll have to loosen up a bit then we can pound them running the ball.

Maybe it’s just me, but you’re point about the O-line sometimes being good and then sucking is not only correct but seems to kind of apply to the entire team at different points. Bo was just kind of average the first two games, miserable last week, and played lights out, well above average this week, and on the road, prime time in Death Valley no less! Penn State and this game are good examples of the O-line being good enough. The defense is pretty spotty. Same for the receivers, though I personally feel like they are still better overall than they have been under Gus. Overall I think inconsistent describes our team best (and usually has). If we can put it all together and stop the stupid mistakes we might make some things happen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Maybe it’s just me, but you’re point about the O-line sometimes being good and then sucking is not only correct but seems to kind of apply to the entire team at different points. Bo was just kind of average the first two games, miserable last week, and played lights out, well above average this week, and on the road, prime time in Death Valley no less! Penn State and this game are good examples of the O-line being good enough. The defense is pretty spotty. Same for the receivers, though I personally feel like they are still better overall than they have been under Gus. Overall I think inconsistent describes our team best (and usually has). If we can put it all together and stop the stupid mistakes we might make some things happen

Yes, I agree with you 100% This is why I'm still on wait and see mode. I'm not getting too high or low on any individual player or any group yet. I think two maybe 3 more games against quality teams I'll be able analyze more accurately but right now....who knows what you will get 🤷🏾

• Like 2

CDM’s 2nd half really won the game.  It seemed to give the offense enough time to get their act together in the 4th Qtr.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

So we had a great win and this is how I see it. 

QB play: I have to say I think it was a very gutsy performance by Bo. Just the way he had been playing and all the eyes on him to come out and not fold is epic. As far as his actual play, what I'm impressed with is the way he found the right guy. The way he went to the guy he was supposed to. Plays like one of his checkdowns to worm. The MLBcame free and he made the right throw at a snap of the finger.

This reminded me of the same play ran when we played uga and he took that sack and most were blaming the o line for it when the QB had to know that guy is coming in hot. So that's maturity and I'm impressed by it. To be completely honest while I'm happy about that play everyone is talking about I'm really hoping that's not a norm. If they are disciplined in their attack lanes we lose. So I'm hoping we don't see a bunch of that.

I'm happy the coaches finally decided to stop trying to make him a pro qb and use his strengths....no different than someone like Nick Marshall. 

HB: I called that play Hunter finally broke. He had a similar play where they just tripped him up and I'm glad we went back to him. I hope we are able to play all the guy and we keep them happy. We NEED shivers. We need his leadership, his presence, his versatility, his running, his hands, his physicality, his attitude. He sets the tone

O line....I don't know man they do good, then they suck. But they keep fighting and I really wish so much blame wouldn't be placed on them all the time. LSU came in saying they are going to stop the run. While we can't just say we don't care if there's 8 in the box we're going to still run.....we provided a fight. 

TE is about where the o line is at to me. I see a bunch of mistakes, but they make plays as well. And I think that's about all you can ask for.

WR: You can see why we struggled without Robertson, we go to him a bunch. It's of my opinion he's really a slot guy and the fact that he's our number one speaks volumes. We still have drops but a few of these were actually bad drops. But like everybody else they kept fighting and on the plays we had to have they made them. 

Defense: Say what you want about cdm he's been making adjustments lately and he's been coming thru. If he can get pressure with his 3 man front this defense can do some things. Hall and Wooten were everywhere and it made a difference. Moving to a 3-4 is a struggle. Look at bammer. Then look at that year where they lost all that talent one year and the defense struggled the next even though all those guys were high rated players....it's a struggle to get that system going, but when you do it's great.

My overall is still the same.....I'm sort of wait and see with everybody. I don't know why so many came at me about Bo. I literally told people not to give up on him yet and if you look at my what really happened thread last week I said give him time. I feel like we didn't even talk about Bo that much last week. But I feel some just don't actually read what I say they feel like I'm saying something I'm not. I still feel the same about Bo and the same about tj. I think they both will play up and down and I feel like they both would make plays in different capacities because they have different strengths. 

I will say this, I wish this fan base knew how to support two qbs. If right now I wrote I don't think we can win with Bo I'dbe a hater and it would be a big deal but that's exactly what many did with tj. If I said the only reason Bo made completions was because LSU defense didn't cover the wr's I'd be stupid (and rightfully so) but that's what was said. If I came into the Bo nix thread talking about why tj is the best.....you get the point. You don't see the tj is a great teammate, tj's family is sad, tj is a competitor.....and I just can't understand the need to make somebody bigger and better than someone else just for the sake of it. And I'm going to ask questions with that. I'm assuming that's why people come at me about Bo because I haven't ever said he was done or he just sucks or anything like that. 

But if I did why would that be so wrong but it was cool to do that with Finley? 

Now moving on from that I now have hope for the arky and ole miss and Texas am games. But only with our running game. I don't think we can out gun those teams head to head with QB. But I think a COMBINED team effort we can win those games. 

If anybody want to talk football I'm all up for it. But that's what I want to talk I'm not interested in people holding grudges wanting to fight about who knows what. 

Good points and a good post. Is Tank banged up and they are just preserving him as much as possible? Hunter can flat out read a hole and had very good power and great vision. Was really good to see Shivers back, as he’s a void ball player and had some great runs after the catch. Here is one thing that worries me about the GA game. Arky went w a 3 man D front and got steamrolled by their running game. I know JT Daniels’ status is still unclear, but if we don’t present a very different look on D, what’s to say the same thing won’t happen to us, even w their 2nd string QB running the show? My point is, we have to recruit better across both lines in order to attempt to compete with Ga and Bama, who are both obviously the best 2 teams in the nation. I’m very happy we got that win on BR that was needed though. That can set the tone of a team even though most of them weren’t born when that losing streak started. Hard to believe TT was the HC and we won a Natty and played for another w the only loss besides FSU that year was to who else but LSU in BR. 

I watched the game again specifically to watch the offensive line. I have reservations like most of you, with this unit, especially the right side. During the game we rotated in/out different guards (both sides), and I'm not sure why. RT is especially stiff and has trouble with athletic defensive ends. Hopefully, they will get better with practice.

• Like 2

I think when we look back at the end of the season at the game, we'll realize that LSU isn't all that good. They kept us in-check a lot of the game and except for some "Bo" plays we probably don't come out with a win...I'm still trying to put my finger on this team and the coaches. But I feel better with a win and look forward to seeing what we do v. Georgia.... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now moving on from that I now have hope for the arky and ole miss and Texas am games. But only with our running game. I don't think we can out gun those teams head to head with QB. But I think a COMBINED team effort we can win those games. 

Yeah these games seem like toss ups at this point. I’m still not sure how good any of the three are. 

I expect wins vs SCAR and Miss St and losses to UGA and Bama. That gives you 6-3. Success of the season hinges on the three you mentioned. 

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes, I agree with you 100% This is why I'm still on wait and see mode. I'm not getting too high or low on any individual player or any group yet. I think two maybe 3 more games against quality teams I'll be able analyze more accurately but right now....who knows what you will get 🤷🏾

The games seem tricky too, capable of bias. Like, if we beat GA this weekend, that’s one thing. If we get blown out, then we just say, “Oh well, it’s GA.” Same for Alabama. It may be a while before we really know what we are. (In fact, unless we win, I may just count the GA game as a possible outlier to later be compared with the following three games.) But yeah, I’m in the same boat as you. Especially with this being Harsin’s first year. 

22 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The games seem tricky too, capable of bias. Like, if we beat GA this weekend, that’s one thing. If we get blown out, then we just say, “Oh well, it’s GA.” Same for Alabama. It may be a while before we really know what we are. (In fact, unless we win, I may just count the GA game as a possible outlier to later be compared with the following three games.) But yeah, I’m in the same boat as you. Especially with this being Harsin’s first year. 

I hear you. And I dread that. I know you have to be realistic but I don't think I can ever hit a point where I look at us as a lower tier and be cool with getting beat by anybody. We're on the same page.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I hear you. And I dread that. I know you have to be realistic but I don't think I can ever hit a point where I look at us as a lower tier and be cool with getting beat by anybody. We're on the same page.

Oh I agree 100%. I’ll never be okay with either of those things either. Too much love for Auburn and respect for its history. War Eagle!

• Love 1

Auburn needs both QB’s. Can’t do it with just one. Benching Bo might have been the best thing possible. He had a great attitude cheering TJ on after he pulled in the first half. TJ not so much after Bo went back in. 

OP is a big Bo hater. I get it, plenty of reasons to but he performed out his ass on Saturday. They don’t win without him running at that level. It’s a team effort but his willingness to never quit seemed to bleed over. 

• Dislike 2

On 10/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, cole256 said:

QB play: I have to say I think it was a very gutsy performance by Bo. Just the way he had been playing and all the eyes on him to come out and not fold is epic. As far as his actual play, what I'm impressed with is the way he found the right guy. The way he went to the guy he was supposed to. Plays like one of his checkdowns to worm. The MLBcame free and he made the right throw at a snap of the finger.

This reminded me of the same play ran when we played uga and he took that sack and most were blaming the o line for it when the QB had to know that guy is coming in hot. So that's maturity and I'm impressed by it. To be completely honest while I'm happy about that play everyone is talking about I'm really hoping that's not a norm. If they are disciplined in their attack lanes we lose. So I'm hoping we don't see a bunch of that.

HB: I called that play Hunter finally broke. He had a similar play where they just tripped him up and I'm glad we went back to him. I hope we are able to play all the guy and we keep them happy. We NEED shivers. We need his leadership, his presence, his versatility, his running, his hands, his physicality, his attitude. He sets the tone

O line....I don't know man they do good, then they suck. But they keep fighting and I really wish so much blame wouldn't be placed on them all the time. LSU came in saying they are going to stop the run. While we can't just say we don't care if there's 8 in the box we're going to still run.....we provided a fight. 

TE is about where the o line is at to me. I see a bunch of mistakes, but they make plays as well. And I think that's about all you can ask for.

WR: You can see why we struggled without Robertson, we go to him a bunch. It's of my opinion he's really a slot guy and the fact that he's our number one speaks volumes. We still have drops but a few of these were actually bad drops. But like everybody else they kept fighting and on the plays we had to have they made them. 

Defense: Say what you want about cdm he's been making adjustments lately and he's been coming thru. If he can get pressure with his 3 man front this defense can do some things. Hall and Wooten were everywhere and it made a difference. Moving to a 3-4 is a struggle. Look at bammer. Then look at that year where they lost all that talent one year and the defense struggled the next even though all those guys were high rated players....it's a struggle to get that system going, but when you do it's great.

My overall is still the same.....I'm sort of wait and see with everybody. I don't know why so many came at me about Bo. I literally told people not to give up on him yet and if you look at my what really happened thread last week I said give him time. I feel like we didn't even talk about Bo that much last week. But I feel some just don't actually read what I say they feel like I'm saying something I'm not. I still feel the same about Bo and the same about tj. I think they both will play up and down and I feel like they both would make plays in different capacities because they have different strengths. 

I will say this, I wish this fan base knew how to support two qbs. If right now I wrote I don't think we can win with Bo I'dbe a hater and it would be a big deal but that's exactly what many did with tj. If I said the only reason Bo made completions was because LSU defense didn't cover the wr's I'd be stupid (and rightfully so) but that's what was said. If I came into the Bo nix thread talking about why tj is the best.....you get the point. You don't see the tj is a great teammate, tj's family is sad, tj is a competitor.....and I just can't understand the need to make somebody bigger and better than someone else just for the sake of it. And I'm going to ask questions with that. I'm assuming that's why people come at me about Bo because I haven't ever said he was done or he just sucks or anything like that. 

If anybody want to talk football I'm all up for it. But that's what I want to talk I'm not interested in people holding grudges wanting to fight about who knows what. 

The one area I really was puzzled at was our plan in the 1st half on offense. 

It seemed Bobo felt like we needed to pass as our first option way too many times. I went back and we threw the ball 27 times in the first half. I realize what I read was LSU was stacking the box, and forcing us to pass, which is not our strength, but it seemed like we abandoned the run game too early.

In the second half it looked like run game started to take off, and since we only threw 10 more times, it showed we could gain good yardage on the ground. In the 4th it definitely was the right choice as it is what got us in the EZ 2 times, especially that last drive that put us in the lead.

Just wondering what you thought of the first half plan from Harsin/Bobo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodford said:

Auburn needs both QB’s. Can’t do it with just one. Benching Bo might have been the best thing possible. He had a great attitude cheering TJ on after he pulled in the first half. TJ not so much after Bo went back in. 

OP is a big Bo hater. I get it, plenty of reasons to but he performed out his ass on Saturday. They don’t win without him running at that level. It’s a team effort but his willingness to never quit seemed to bleed over. 

And I think Harsin and Bobo knew that with LSU's rush success, if they were going to pass the ball so much, Bo gave us the best chance bc he could get out of trouble. If Finley had started, and we passed as much as we did, Finley could have been sacked 3-4 times already. 

Bo's escapability really wore down their rush, and he actually completed passes on broken plays numerous times. 

12 minutes ago, woodford said:

he just said he wasn't. are you sure he was not just wanting to give tj a chance? not trying to start anything here as i liked his post and was going to say so until i ran into this.

• Like 1

i am curious as to how we handle that big ol nose guard the butt sniffers have. can we get our center help without giving up holes for others to come through?

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And I think Harsin and Bobo knew that with LSU's rush success, if they were going to pass the ball so much, Bo gave us the best chance bc he could get out of trouble. If Finley had started, and we passed as much as we did, Finley could have been sacked 3-4 times already. 

Bo's escapability really wore down their rush, and he actually completed passes on broken plays numerous times. 

i am just wondering if bo will have enough space to dodge the butt sniffers? from what little i read and hear they are all everything.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, cole256 said:

This^.    100%.   Excellent analysis 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, W.E.D said:

Exactly I’ve been saying this over and over again. People keep asking “what’s wrong with Tank?” There’s nothing wrong with him. If you’ve got 5 down linemen going against 8-9 guys in the box consistently what do you think is going to happen? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The one area I really was puzzled at was our plan in the 1st half on offense. 

It seemed Bobo felt like we needed to pass as our first option way too many times. I went back and we threw the ball 27 times in the first half. I realize what I read was LSU was stacking the box, and forcing us to pass, which is not our strength, but it seemed like we abandoned the run game too early.

In the second half it looked like run game started to take off, and since we only threw 10 more times, it showed we could gain good yardage on the ground. In the 4th it definitely was the right choice as it is what got us in the EZ 2 times, especially that last drive that put us in the lead.

Just wondering what you thought of the first half plan from Harsin/Bobo.

So to answer your question this is a little what I think and what I would do mixed in with what I did actually see to come to my opinion.

If it was me my ENTIRE game plan is going to be make the QB beat me. Scouting our team you see we have have 3 NFL quality backs. 2 QB's that have glaring weaknesses, an inconsistent o line, and a young AND inconsistent wr group. 

I'm going to damn near sell out to stop the run and make it be the QB has to make consistent good decisions over and over and over to win.

So I feel like they really sold out to stop the run and the pass game was wide open basically. Now I could go even more into it and tell why I think the pass was so open but it would sound like I'm dissing Bo and I don't want to argue with people. But I think they really just underestimated Bo by a wide margin. They went at him as if he couldn't play QB at all, daring him to make the easy throws. 

What they should have done was respected him enough to know he doesn't suck and make the needed throws be the second and third read throws and the deep balls. Also they had been so successful at getting to the QB I think they felt they had that in the bag and they didn't prepare for a more contain type of style as far as a pass rush. Orgeon actually even said they didn't adjust their pass rush until the second half.