Drops by the numbers

TigerHorn

31 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

As TigerHorn alluded, Darvin Adams had the best hands that I can recall.... in the last 11 years.     In our NC run, I remember numerous times where we would have 3rd and 8, and DA would run a 9 yard out.   Cam could throw all out velocity, and DA always caught it with his hands.  Emory Blake and Kodi were on that same team.  None of the three had elite speed, but Blake and DA, in particular caught just about everything. 

So did T-Zach. The only one I recall him dropping in 2010 was the one in the IB in the 1st half where Cam found him over the middle at the last second. Replay showed there was no one within 10 yards of T-Zach. He easily goes for 30 yards…maybe a TD. Super fluke drop for T-Zach.

That quartet of WRs was the best AU has ever had. 

I honestly kinda think if you've been in college a couple years and still dropping the ball, you are gonna keep dropping the ball. For whatever reason, some guys just don't have good hands and no amount of coaching will fix it. Some might get better, but I would say the large majority do not.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, woodford said:

Slayton or Coates? I don’t have the numbers in front of me. 

Man, Coates made some great catches, but you don't remember all the simple passes he dropped? Guy was infamous for missing a wide open 10 yard pass that hit him in the numbers .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

Man, Coates made some great catches, but you don't remember all the simple passes he dropped? Guy was infamous for missing a wide open 10 yard pass that hit him in the numbers .

Alas, he did the same thing with the Steelers who drafted him. He could catch a contested pass down the sideline, but drop passes in the open field. I think his injured hand, made it even harder for him to be a consistent pass catcher.

Of all the current WRs, I like Hudson the best, if he can continue to work hard on his skills. He makes some of those catches look so smooth and easy. ANd he does a really good job of adjusting on a ball thrown to him.

He does have too many drops, but that is simply a focus issue. THAT can be improved.

• Like 2

Oh how I miss Frank Sanders.   He was the best hands I’ve seen come out of Auburn.   Frank was one of those guys that snatched the ball out of the air.  Give me a couple of FS’s and I can win a lot of games 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Lutz

Our TEs have never been consistent due to not being consistently targeted

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yeah but I don't remember Lutz dropping many passes in his career. That boy had glue for hands 🤣 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Number of targets wasn’t really the subject of what I responded to, but I get what you’re saying.

12 hours ago, Shady Hollow AU said:

Duke Williams and those white gloves. He caught everything. I thought he was going to be a superstar.

He traded the white gloves for boxing gloves.

2 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I’m calling it!

Today’s the day!

Dropitis is over!

If..  just that got fixed this offense would be 14-21 points better.  It would open up everything, including the running game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I’m calling it!

Today’s the day!

Dropitis is over!

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

On 10/13/2021 at 10:48 PM, TigerHorn said:

From a free article elsewhere, first time I had seen the complete numbers:

After a season-high six drops against Georgia, Auburn leads the SEC  with 22, according to Pro Football Focus. The league’s second-worst team in that department, Mississippi State, has 15, and the Bulldogs have 67 more pass attempts on the season than Auburn.

Auburn has already surpassed its drop total from all of last season (19), and is on pace to more than double it.

Break out the big foam fingers with we're #1 on them. Gus recruited WR's who can run like deers. Unfortunately they catch the ball like deers.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I’m calling it!

Today’s the day!

Dropitis is over!

Did you ever call it! 1 legit drop IMO, and PFF probably won't count that one by Landon as a drop. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Break out the big foam fingers with we're #1 on them. Gus recruited WR's who can run like deers. Unfortunately they catch the ball like deers.

We were actually 3rd, with two other teams tied for 1st.....but after today, we should start dropping back down in that poll bigtime!