The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I'm an Auburn fan, not a Justin Powell fan.

I don’t see how that results in hoping someone fails miserably but I get it

I just want Auburn to win, if the other team does well then so be it

On 4/10/2021 at 11:08 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think that's fair at all 

It's completely fair. As others have  said he could have told daddy no when his dad pulled him from AU & put him in the portal. I am not saying I'm going to feel that way vut others are justified to do so.

• 2 months later...

For any of you that watch or follow NBA. Joe Harris who plays for the nets is doing exactly what I was explaining about Powell. During the regular season some were even saying he was the best long range shooter in all of basketball. When it's time for the big gamesand when people scouted, and when the best play makers were hurt and couldn't play.....well an entire different story. 

He is a great role player, but you can't let that fool you into thinking he can slide in and be a go to go. When you're THE guy there are many other things to think about, especially when you are mostly a set shooter who can't create his own shot.

• 5 months later...

Just a little update here. 

He is averaging 9.3 pts/gm this season in 8 less mins/game. At AU he averaged 11.7 pts/gm in 27.6 mins/gm. So far at Tenn he is averaging 9.3 pts/gm in 19.5 min/gm. The season is early yet. So his stats could improve. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 4:22 AM, Chaotic_zx said:

Just a little update here. 

He is averaging 9.3 pts/gm this season in 8 less mins/game. At AU he averaged 11.7 pts/gm in 27.6 mins/gm. So far at Tenn he is averaging 9.3 pts/gm in 19.5 min/gm. The season is early yet. So his stats could improve. 

As of today he is down to 17.9 minutes per game and 6.9 ppg. Avg 1.8 rebounds and 1 assist per game. Shooting 46% and from 3 pt 40%. FT is 60%. That is about 5th on the team in scoring and 7th in minutes played.

I imagine this is not what he bargained for. But to be honest, not sure if his playing time at AU would be any better.

Edited by 80Tiger
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, 80Tiger said:

As of today he is down to 17.9 minutes per game and 6.9 ppg. Avg 1.8 rebounds and 1 assist per game. Shooting 46% and from 3 pt 40%. FT is 60%. That is about 5th on the team in scoring and 7th in minutes played.

I imagine this is not what he bargained for. But to be honest, not sure if his playing time at AU would be any better.

I fully believe there was a place on this year's team for him. I believe he would have the minutes Lior Berman is playing. which at this time is 11.6 minutes per game. I believe it changes how Bruce attacked the off season in regards to recruiting as well. Bruce had to replace Powell. 

To be frank, I am taking absolutely nothing away from Berman. I have the upmost respect for the guy. He plays hard and holds his own. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, 80Tiger said:

I'm thinking he and pops were bargaining for Calipari to roll the red carpet out. Which he did...not do. So he was left with his d*** in his hand and fell sideways into Knoxville. Of course, that's just my uninformed belief. But having said that, were he to be on UK's team, I really don't know what his production would be with them this season.

Edited by tigeraddikt

On 12/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, Chaotic_zx said:

To be frank, I am taking absolutely nothing away from Berman. I have the upmost respect for the guy. He plays hard and holds his own. 

I agree.   He really hustles on defense.   I can't remember what Justin Powell's defense was like.

8 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I agree.   He really hustles on defense.   I can't remember what Justin Powell's defense was like.

In complete fairness, Justin Powell hustled on defense as well. Like Berman, he struggles against the more athletic people he guards. Powell has a higher upside in regards to scoring. I see Berman in a role similar to John Paxon and Steve Kerr of the great Bull teams. I don't say that lighly. Seeing Berman makes me miss seeing Paxon play.

• 2 weeks later...

I was upset when Justin decided to transfer last year. But looking back now, I don’t think this kid is the same player that came to Auburn. I think concussions can change people, and I think Justin Powell has lost his competitive edge and desire to be physical. Bruce certainly upgraded this position from last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I was upset when Justin decided to transfer last year. But looking back now, I don’t think this kid is the same player that came to Auburn. I think concussions can change people, and I think Justin Powell has lost his competitive edge and desire to be physical. Bruce certainly upgraded this position from last year.

He would not fit in well on this team at all. Does not defend well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He would not fit in well on this team at all. Does not defend well. 

that's why he comes off the bench. for 3 pt and some guard play, as long as it's limited.

Rick Barnes wants his guards to defend, and Powell can't guard the other's team's starters.

He's a good complement player. But I dont' really think his concussion has anything to do with his play. 

And he is learning a new system...

14 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

At this level, on teams with more and better talent, he's almost invisible. Strictly a catch and shoot minute eater for the starters. He simply cannot defend. Nor can he get his own shot. With Auburn this year, he would be in the same spot. Maybe less. I like Berman better. He knows his role. At least he's quicker and more active defensively.

20 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

If Powell stays we lose out on either Zep, Wendell, or KD. That's just something I don't want to think about. All 3 are crucial for us being 16-1.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

If Powell stays we lose out on either Zep, Wendell, or KD. That's just something I don't want to think about. All 3 are crucial for us being 16-1.

It’s amazing to think we lost Shariffe Cooper & JT Thor to the NBA draft, Scoot Henderson to the G-League, Justin Powell to transfer, AND we are the #2 team in the country.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:28 PM, Grumps said:

Who is Justin Powell???🦚

He's a guy that many felt that he was a HUGE loss and irreplaceable that went to a less talented team and still can't play.

I had my head ripped off about him while the entire time if people paid attention I actually proved how I really know what I'm talking about as opposed to just making stuff up.

But as usual everybody is going to pretend that this didn't happen😂

• 3 months later...