The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It depends on who replaces him & how they perform. He was good in the noncon games we played but as Cole has pointed out numerous times he wasn't good in the few SEC games we played.

All true, but I think Powell was severely limited by having to play out of his natural position. He seemed to display excellent court instincts and could have been an extremely good shooting guard with someone effective playing point. I just thought he had tremendous potential that Pearl would have tapped and Barnes will likely waste. Wish Powell the best either way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think everybody should just accept there is vital stuff to this situation that we don't know about. It's not going to make sense unless people know the whole story

This post should be pinned and posted in all the forums as the benchmark for common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This kid will regret this mistake for a long time. Still don’t understand why talent continues to flock to Rick Barnes when he’s proven that he will under-develop & under-perform with that talent every year.

Barnes' MO. Tough, hard nosed defense. So much so, their offense always seems to struggle. Almost always half court. Never been known for pushing the ball up the floor or offensive explosiveness. They win a lot of games. Get lofty rankings and praise. Then by season's end, his teams have nothing in the tank, and nothing more to show.

Edited by slyinsocal

3 hours ago, AUSage said:

All true, but I think Powell was severely limited by having to play out of his natural position. He seemed to display excellent court instincts and could have been an extremely good shooting guard with someone effective playing point. I just thought he had tremendous potential that Pearl would have tapped and Barnes will likely waste. Wish Powell the best either way.

Powell was also given alot of favors, he wasn't great as a PG so common sense would tell him nobody wants him to stay at PG when he can't even push the tempo. If he could create his own shot we had several people who could fill in at PG and he could've played SG but that's not anything he could do either. He knew when coop came he would move back.

My cousin started for Barnes 3 years. He carried the team his senior year. He did just fine, we'll now see if Powell is really as good as some thought or not when he plays against tough competition. 

10 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Posted about it in the recruiting thread. I was too lazy to look for the thread, thanks . :D

This is just a really odd decision, IMO. GL to the kid except when he plays us and Auburn continues to dominate TN in BBall.

So why does it say @ellitor made this post now and not me 😂. Seems as if my original post was deleted and replaced 🧐

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So why does it say @ellitor made this post now and not me 😂. Seems as if my original post was deleted and replaced 🧐

Looks like it. I know that I quoted you. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

@Maverick.AU We made the same tweet post at literally the same time to the second so I deleted one.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Maverick.AU We made the same tweet post at literally the same time to the second so I deleted one.

Ok, so you deleted mine

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Ok, so you deleted mine

Yup. No hard feelings. Just didn't see the point in keeping both tweets up.

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

K gotcha

And I had deleted yours before I saw Grogan's reply so I edited his post so it didn't look confusing to other readers. Although it obviously confused y'all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. No hard feelings. Just didn't see the point in keeping both tweets up.

WHo ever has the gold, makes the rules! :bow:

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

It depends on who replaces him & how they perform. He was good in the noncon games we played but as Cole has pointed out numerous times he wasn't good in the few SEC games we played.

Come on... It's pretty damn clear that he was going to be a great player. He had range, hustle, and would have been a key contributor. I. Don't care what Cole says all of our eyes aren't lying to us. A few years with CBP would have been great. 

This one hurts. Freaking Tenn. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Come on... It's pretty damn clear that he was going to be a great player. He had range, hustle, and would have been a key contributor. I. Don't care what Cole says all of our eyes aren't lying to us. A few years with CBP would have been great. 

Amen 

4 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

You don't have to care. All I know is I talk facts and most of you are talking feelings. And I didn't ever say he sucked or he wouldn't be good here. You used the word great though. It's pretty clear? Ok we'll see.

I can find a guy at the park right now that will look AMAZING against lesser competition and everybody say what he could do against good guys. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't have to care. All I know is I talk facts and most of you are talking feelings. And I didn't ever say he sucked or he wouldn't be good here. You used the word great though. It's pretty clear? Ok we'll see.

I can find a guy at the park right now that will look AMAZING against lesser competition and everybody say what he could do against good guys. 

You are entitled to your opinion. I and alot of others disagree.  I'm glad you are on here but just because you think he isn't that good doesn't make it so. I hope he does terrible at Tennessee. Maybe not terrible but alot of folks are really disappointed that it didn't work out for him here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

You are entitled to your opinion. I and alot of others disagree.  I'm glad you are on here but just because you think he isn't that good doesn't make it so. I hope he does terrible at Tennessee. Maybe not terrible but alot of folks are really disappointed that it didn't work out for him here. 

Once again. Didn't say that. I know it doesn't matter to most of you and you're going to continue to feel what you want but in reality, The only thing I've said is he's not the best player on the team.

And he didn't do anything for those of you that swear by him to receive such accolades. It's freaking South Alabama. If you look at his total body of work you can't say that. If you actually watch his film you can see it.

So yeah it's easy to say just because I say something doesn't make it true but I'm going off of actual stats. Whereas just because you say he is doesn't make it true and you literally are going off of opinion. You made the statement it's clear to see.......the only thing on film that's clear is that he's a pretty decent shooter.

Also you want to do this you don't give a damn what I say and all of that that's fine, it's your prerogative but when I'm right don't do the hey man you were right stuff in private do it in public the way you talked the other side talk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Does he sit a year?

Very possibly. Even if the NCAA approves the "instant play" rule the SEC would have to allow it for within conference transfers. There seem to be some heavy hitters in the SEC who are against it.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, Randman5000 said:

It's pretty damn clear that he was going to be a great player.

@Randman5000 Not clear at all. In his 2 games versus SEC teams he had 6 total points, shot 1 for 13, an abismal 7.6%, 11 assists but 8 turnovers. He wasn't great versus the Zags either: 7 points, 3-8 shooting, 3 assists but 2 turnovers. He could be great but he will have to step up at UT when he plays real competition.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Randman5000 Not clear at all. In his 2 games versus SEC teams he had 6 total points, shot 1 for 13, an abismal 7.6%, 11 assists but 8 turnovers. He wasn't great versus the Zags either: 7 points, 3-8 shooting, 3 assists but 2 turnovers. He could be great but he will have to step up at UT when he plays real competition.

While I don't disagree that it wasn't crystal clear that JP was "going to be a great player," referencing his performance as a true freshman playing out of position against an Arkansas team that ended up making it to the Elite 8 and only really playing the first half against TAMU is hardly convincing. You did reference his performance against the 2nd best team in the country as well. I happen to believe if daddy stands down and JP develops over multiple years that he will be an all-conference level performer before he exits the ranks of CBB. But I hope he fails miserably each time he plays AU.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Haha 1

He played 10 games and out of those had 2 some may would say 3 good games. No matter how anybody tries to reason it as far as film goes there's much more tape of subpar or average play than excellent. 

Now people can choose to believe whatever they want, that's no big deal. But competition is a real thing and as far as what's been shown and statements like eyes not lying to you or not being convinced by the games against good teams but being sure that he would be an all conference player and would lead us to the final four if he stayed.....I don't see how that logic works. But that's just me

Hell I wasn't even sure if he starts next year, but once again what do I know?

• Like 2