This is getting old...

VegasEagle

10 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-live-call-in-show-airs-sunday-night-7/ Go to the 55 minute mark.  This is scary stuff about Sexton.  

This was already said on the other side of the forum but needs to be said here to prevent people from running crazy with it:  The stuff about the Board is not true.

10 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-live-call-in-show-airs-sunday-night-7/ Go to the 55 minute mark.  This is scary stuff about Sexton.  

Dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Sexton isn’t choosing the coach for Auburn. He’s an agent, not a search committee. He doesn’t tell us who to hire. People want others to think they actually know something or are insiders, when, in reality, nobody knows nuthin’. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, we need a SAFE place thread on this forum.

When you feel triggered go to SAFE place, type in code word Mistletoe and everything will be wonderful.

No posting allowed, only balloons and butterflies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

This is turning into a disaster from Cohen.  The fact he stalled on Kiffin tells me he has no idea on reality.  

It’s still early but yeah the writing could be on the wall when we hired the AD from the incredible athletic program at Mississippi State

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

This is turning into a disaster from Cohen.  The fact he stalled on Kiffin tells me he has no idea on reality.  

Why? He said it would be a thorough process. Not a quick process to pacify people who want to know right now. He needs to be methodical, and make sure he gets it right, instead of doing it fast. My only inquiry is, Did we contact Rhule or Fickell? Did we make them say no? Those were the most proven HC’s who moved on. Would like to know if we even tried to get them.

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

I don't know about that. It's been whispered that AU and Kiffin had a deal. Then Kiffin/Sexton upped their demands and Cohen said no. I agree with that, if that's indeed what happened.

Cohen is a professional AD. Let him do his job. Just because fans want instant gratification doesn't mean that instant gratification is the best way to proceed.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

He said it would be a thorough process. Not a quick process to pacify people who want to know right now. He needs to be methodical, and make sure he gets it right, instead of doing it fast.

He fired a coach mid-season so that Auburn would be ready to maximize the transfer portal with a new coach in place. 

That period begins in one week and we still have no coach. If the best players in the portal go elsewhere, it's going to be a long, hard year for Auburn football in 2023. That is not indicative of "getting it right". It's indicative of getting caught with your pants down. 

9 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

He fired a coach mid-season so that Auburn would be ready to maximize the transfer portal with a new coach in place. 

That period begins in one week and we still have no coach. If the best players in the portal go elsewhere, it's going to be a long, hard year for Auburn football in 2023. That is not indicative of "getting it right". It's indicative of getting caught with your pants down. 

We fans need to let this play out. So far, the only coach I see that AU "missed" on is Rhule and that isn't such a huge miss. The others that have gone/are going elsewhere wouldn't do here anyway.

23 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Why? He said it would be a thorough process. Not a quick process to pacify people who want to know right now. He needs to be methodical, and make sure he gets it right, instead of doing it fast. My only inquiry is, Did we contact Rhule or Fickell? Did we make them say no? Those were the most proven HC’s who moved on. Would like to know if we even tried to get them.

Not sure how you would ever know the true misses.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

"Just because fans want instant gratification doesn't mean that instant gratification is the best way to proceed."

The long game is also true in choosing a coach!  Too many fans want a coach who will win FAST instead of win LONG!  We had that with Gusball .. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

This was already said on the other side of the forum but needs to be said here to prevent people from running crazy with it:  The stuff about the Board is not true.

What is the other side of the forum?

1 minute ago, lovemytigerz said:

The long game is also true in choosing a coach!  Too many fans want a coach who will win FAST instead of win LONG!  We had that with Gusball .. 

It's worth waiting for Dabo, but I don't think he is really a realistic option.  We've had 4 weeks and months before that where we knew it would happen. Every other school got it done already.  Flushing this recruiting/portal cycle is just not an option. We don't want to put the new coach in a hole that he can't climb out of.  We are screwing up badly by waiting.  And if it's for a guy who is not a "splash" hire, it is just making it that much worse.  Every day that goes by now is setting us back.

21 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's worth waiting for Dabo, but I don't think he is really a realistic option.  We've had 4 weeks and months before that where we knew it would happen. Every other school got it done already.  Flushing this recruiting/portal cycle is just not an option. We don't want to put the new coach in a hole that he can't climb out of.  We are screwing up badly by waiting.  And if it's for a guy who is not a "splash" hire, it is just making it that much worse.  Every day that goes by now is setting us back.

The current staff is hanging in there with recruiting.  It may not be a top 10 class, but we'll recover.  What we won't recover from, at least not soon, is hiring a "flashy" coach instead of a substantial coach.

This won't be popular, but part of the mess we're in now has been caused by how we treated Bryan Harsin.  The insider led smears on him poisoned his tenure at Auburn, wrecked his ability to recruit, wrecked his ability to keep/hire coaches, and wrecked the team unity.  Maybe Harsin was not a good fit, but the temper tantrum waged in unfounded booster & insider led attacks on his character were unconscionable.  We should all be embarrassed by how Auburn treated him.  Instead of trying to destroy the man, they should have just said he's not a good fit, and let him go.  Before we fired him, it was completely foreseeable that we would have a problem getting coaches to come b/c of how we treated him.  I said it before he was fired, and, now, here we are.  No crystal ball required.

39 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

The current staff is hanging in there with recruiting.  It may not be a top 10 class, but we'll recover.  What we won't recover from, at least not soon, is hiring a "flashy" coach instead of a substantial coach.

This won't be popular, but part of the mess we're in now has been caused by how we treated Bryan Harsin.  The insider led smears on him poisoned his tenure at Auburn, wrecked his ability to recruit, wrecked his ability to keep/hire coaches, and wrecked the team unity.  Maybe Harsin was not a good fit, but the temper tantrum waged in unfounded booster & insider led attacks on his character were unconscionable.  We should all be embarrassed by how Auburn treated him.  Instead of trying to destroy the man, they should have just said he's not a good fit, and let him go.  Before we fired him, it was completely foreseeable that we would have a problem getting coaches to come b/c of how we treated him.  I said it before he was fired, and, now, here we are.  No crystal ball required.

I agree with you about Harsin.  And that's why Cohen should have realized Kiffen was a long shot all along, and been ready for him to stay at Ole Miss. But right now, the delay is becoming part of the story.  If we would have hired Brian Johnson on Sunday, there would have been a lot of bitching about the lack of a splash hire. But he's an impressive and personable guy, and all the noise would have vanished after his first press conference.  I don't know if he's a great coach, but his public persona is exactly what everyone is after.  But the longer we wait, the more it becomes apparent that he wasn't our first, second or third choice, because we didn't even bother vetting him until our other choices flamed out.  And waiting doesn't guarantee a good choice. It just tells everyone you are scrambling for a candidate while the best guys get taken. I'll apologize to Cohen if we hire Dabo, but right now he just looks like a complete screwup. Do you know how hard it is to recruit when you are selling "Don't worry. We'll get a head coach any day now, and I'm sure he's going to be great!"

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I agree with you about Harsin.  And that's why Cohen should have realized Kiffen was a long shot all along, and been ready for him to stay at Ole Miss. But right now, the delay is becoming part of the story.  If we would have hired Brian Johnson on Sunday, there would have been a lot of bitching about the lack of a splash hire. But he's an impressive and personable guy, and all the noise would have vanished after his first press conference.  I don't know if he's a great coach, but his public persona is exactly what everyone is after.  But the longer we wait, the more it becomes apparent that he wasn't our first, second or third choice, because we didn't even bother vetting him until our other choices flamed out.  And waiting doesn't guarantee a good choice. It just tells everyone you are scrambling for candidate. I'll apologize to Cohen if we hire Dabo, but right now he just looks like a complete screwup. Do you know how hard it is to recruit when you are selling "Don't worry. We'll get a head coach any day, and I'm sure he's going to be great!"

At this point, no one has any insight into exactly what Cohen is doing and his process (except for maybe 3 or 4 people in the AD).  The guy has been on campus a few weeks.  And yes, he knew hiring a HC was priority #1 before taking the job. 

But damn...can we at least give the guy a chance?  Everyone has already made assumptions about his ability to vet, review and hire coaches before he has even yet to do so.  He knows when the portal opens.  He knows when early signing day is.

He may come out with an absolute homerun or he may fall flat on his face.  Can we at least wait and see first?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I agree with you about Harsin.  And that's why Cohen should have realized Kiffen was a long shot all along, and been ready for him to stay at Ole Miss. But right now, the delay is becoming part of the story.  If we would have hired Brian Johnson on Sunday, there would have been a lot of bitching about the lack of a splash hire. But he's an impressive and personable guy, and all the noise would have vanished after his first press conference.  I don't know if he's a great coach, but his public persona is exactly what everyone is after.  But the longer we wait, the more it becomes apparent that he wasn't our first, second or third choice, because we didn't even bother vetting him until our other choices flamed out.  And waiting doesn't guarantee a good choice. It just tells everyone you are scrambling for candidate. I'll apologize to Cohen if we hire Dabo, but right now he just looks like a complete screwup. Do you know how hard it is to recruit when you are selling "Don't worry. We'll get a head coach any day now, and I'm sure he's going to be great!"

I think the current staff is selling their love for Auburn, the wonderful tradition at Auburn, the love the Auburn people have, not only for the football team, but for the school, etc.  Whatever they're selling, it's working to flip kids from other commitments.  Having that NIL funding is a draw at this stage of college football madness.  The current free agency & NIL player purchasing now driving college football is not a sustainable model, though.

"Sooner or later, you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I agree with you about Harsin.  And that's why Cohen should have realized Kiffen was a long shot all along, and been ready for him to stay at Ole Miss. But right now, the delay is becoming part of the story.  If we would have hired Brian Johnson on Sunday, there would have been a lot of bitching about the lack of a splash hire. But he's an impressive and personable guy, and all the noise would have vanished after his first press conference.  I don't know if he's a great coach, but his public persona is exactly what everyone is after.  But the longer we wait, the more it becomes apparent that he wasn't our first, second or third choice, because we didn't even bother vetting him until our other choices flamed out.  And waiting doesn't guarantee a good choice. It just tells everyone you are scrambling for a candidate while the best guys get taken. I'll apologize to Cohen if we hire Dabo, but right now he just looks like a complete screwup. Do you know how hard it is to recruit when you are selling "Don't worry. We'll get a head coach any day now, and I'm sure he's going to be great!"

I don't know much about Brian Johnson.  He evidently has good SEC experience, and has done well in the NFL?  The knock on him is his lack of HC experience. 

Does a lack of HC experience mean a candidate won't be a great HC?  Not in my book.  But, there is also a lot to be said for taking on the HC duties at a smaller job and growing into a job like Auburn.  We may not be in a position to poach an experienced successful HC.  But, I'm in the Dan Lanning camp, so I've already made peace with hiring a solid coach with great, but unproven, potential!

1 hour ago, smackydoodle said:

What is the other side of the forum?

Users who have donated to the forum to keep it public and free to use are given access to another side of the forum where you see the insiders' posts.  Less drama as well.  That's why you see a lot of the tenured posters not post on this side of the forum anymore and only stay on that side.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Users who have donated to the forum to keep it public and free to use are given access to another side of the forum where you see the insiders' posts.  Less drama as well.  That's why you see a lot of the tenured posters not post on this side of the forum anymore and only stay on that side.

Ah, well that actually explains a lot about the forum these days. Thank you @abw0004

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Sexton isn’t choosing the coach for Auburn. He’s an agent, not a search committee. He doesn’t tell us who to hire. People want others to think they actually know something or are insiders, when, in reality, nobody knows nuthin’. 

every single thing i posted from reddit today came true.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

every single thing i posted from reddit today came true.

I’m not talking about you. I’m talking about the vidya of the guy calling the show. That guy was weird. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger