2023 Signees and Commitments

Zeek

I dropped this in the Nest, thought I would add it here also for your thoughts.

There are currently 59 transfer QB's still available after ESD.  Where do we go?  I think we need to add one to go along with Hank Brown (HS commit) for this year.  I think that Robbie and Holden are one year away (under the tutelage of Montgomery/Freeze/Austin) from being really good for 2024.

Of the 59 available, obviously we would not be interested in some of them due to talent, scheme fit, where they are from (Midwest/West Coast, etc..).  So based on who is currently available, here would be my top 6 to reach out to.

1. Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma St.)        2. Luke Altmyer (Ole Miss)                   3. Hudson Card (Texas)                  4. Brennen Armstrong (UVA)                 5. Jay Butterfield (Oregon)

6. Kedon Slovis (Pitt).

I heard that Sam Hartman (Wake Forest) may possibly be considering entering the portal (if he does not enter his name in the NFL draft) after their bowl game in a couple days.  He would be my #1 and Sanders my #2.  I would push for both of those and feel really good with adding either.  The others.........meh!

Do you guys know of any others that might enter the portal?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I dropped this in the Nest, thought I would add it here also for your thoughts.

There are currently 59 transfer QB's still available after ESD.  Where do we go?  I think we need to add one to go along with Hank Brown (HS commit) for this year.  I think that Robbie and Holden are one year away (under the tutelage of Montgomery/Freeze/Austin) from being really good for 2024.

Of the 59 available, obviously we would not be interested in some of them due to talent, scheme fit, where they are from (Midwest/West Coast, etc..).  So based on who is currently available, here would be my top 6 to reach out to.

1. Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma St.)        2. Luke Altmyer (Ole Miss)                   3. Hudson Card (Texas)                  4. Brennen Armstrong (UVA)                 5. Jay Butterfield (Oregon)

6. Kedon Slovis (Pitt).

I heard that Sam Hartman (Wake Forest) may possibly be considering entering the portal (if he does not enter his name in the NFL draft) after their bowl game in a couple days.  He would be my #1 and Sanders my #2.  I would push for both of those and feel really good with adding either.  The others.........meh!

Do you guys know of any others that might enter the portal?

No Michael Pratt?

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Funny how the anti Freezers are living rent free in the heads of people who just have to make a point of mentioning it at every opportunity. Where’s that beating the dead horse gif? Or water under the bridge? 🤷🏻‍♂️

If the pro-Freezers did it about 100 more times per thread, then they’d maybe be about on par with the anti-feeezers. Really tired of all of it, TBH. Personally, I’m thankful most of the anti-freezers have matured beyond it. I’ve tried to call a handful of them out for positive reinforcement rather than rubbing people’s faces in their mistakes when/if they mess up, seems to be a better approach. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

If the pro-Freezers did it about 100 more times per thread, then they’d maybe be about on par with the anti-feeezers. Really tired of all of it, TBH. Personally, I’m thankful most of the anti-freezers have matured beyond it. I’ve tried to call a handful of them out for positive reinforcement rather than rubbing people’s faces in their mistakes when/if they mess up, seems to be a better approach. 

Lets leave it all behind and let it go. Ive seen it instigated on both sides. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Amen. I’m happy for a new day/era of Auburn football and for being in some stories/headlines for something positive, rather than losing, getting blown out, etc. It’s fun to be excited about recruiting again. And I think we may have 10-20 more openings on the team, assuming we don’t lose any other players. So we’re still not done. 

It also wouldn’t bother me one bit of we got Altmeyer from Lane. It may be another lesson to teach him not to mess around with Auburn. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

No Michael Pratt?

Didn't he say he was staying at Tulane and not entering the portal?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ertrader said:

I don't want to put a damper on what has been a most excellent day but...

It seems like LB is an area of critical need (although I guess you could say that about most positions). I don't think we signed any today. Anyone have insight on what the plan is here? Any Feb signees or portal guys we are looking at?

We've got seniors Tisdol, Steiner and Riley coming back. So far, only Riley has been an impact player. Last year's transfer Asante didn't contribute. Woodyard was a 4* true freshman who was recovering from a knee injury. He may have some promise if fully healed.

In other words, the cupboard may not be entirely bare but supplies are low and of questionable quality. As to what the plan is, I don't have a clue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there a reason Fairweather did not sign on today?  Maybe I missed the reasoning.  Probably no correlation, but Arik Gilbert is about to enter the portal.

BREAKING: Arik Gilbert to Enter the Transfer Portal (msn.com)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Is there a reason Fairweather did not sign on today?  Maybe I missed the reasoning.  Probably no correlation, but Arik Gilbert is about to enter the portal.

BREAKING: Arik Gilbert to Enter the Transfer Portal (msn.com)

I believe someone explained earlier that portal transfers work a little differently than high school players sending in a letter of intent and signing. Gilbert is athletically talented, my concern is 1.) is he a team player? 2.) does he have an attitude problem? 3.) would he just leave/does he have the “grass is greener” syndrome?

Just now, AUINSY said:

I believe someone explained earlier that portal transfers work a little differently than high school players sending in a letter of intent and signing. Gilbert is athletically talented, my concern is 1.) is he a team player? 2.) does he have an attitude problem? 3.) would he just leave/does he have the “grass is greener” syndrome?

Thanks for the explanation.  You could be right about Gilbert.  I just saw that news a little bit ago and was just wondering with Fairweather not sealing the deal, if it could mean anything.

If we could get Hartman or Leonard to enter the portal and snatch one of them or Spencer Sanders, I would feel much better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Could’ve been a lot worse! To think in two weeks HF flipped four star recruits from Florida State, Tennessee and Ohio State! I don’t think Deion could’ve done that.

Of course this is besides the portal, Jr College pick ups and the three stars we flipped as well.

I actually forgot about the four-star flip from Miami as well!

12 hours ago, aublaise said:

It is interesting to me that according to 247 ranking, our top 6 recruits are on the defensive side of the ball.  I would have thought freeze would have more impact with offensive players

Our best recruiters are on the defensive side of the ball. Zac pound for pound is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He came from Houston when we got him. Just a reminder because of the hand wringing of any time Freeze brought over a liberty assistant. Crime dawg who yes is getting older still has an impressive track record. 

I haven’t been excited about a OL coach in forever though. Since Jeff Grimes. What he has done in a short period of time is extremely impressive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Questions based on this list:

1. Do you think Dillion Johnson comes if Cobb announces later?

2. Do you think the WR's listed have not signed with other teams because they want to come to AU but want to see what our QB answer is from the portal?

3. Of the 4 OL listed, how many do you think we get?  Heard Rouse is least likely due to AU academics??

4. We really need those listed on Defense.  Do you feel optimistic here?

5.  Do we really need more in the secondary?  We are pretty stacked there now, correct?  I would prefer we hit the LB room harder than getting more DB's and Safety's.  Thoughts?

1. We want and expect to land both Dillon Johnson and Jeremiah Cobb

2. No idea. That makes sense.

3. No idea. I think we had two guys yesterday that we passed on who went to smaller programs. So we might not take all of them. We will take at least two more OTs I would think.

4. We will see. I like our odds with most of the guys listed.

5. They have very intentionally been looking heavy for DBs. Not sure what they know that we don't but they definitely don't feel comfortable with what we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

Who is left:

MissSt RB Dillon Johnson - announcing in January

MissSt WR Rara Thomas - leaning Georgia due to our lack of clarity at QB

Oregon WR Dont’e Thornton

WVU WR Kaden Prather

AzSt C Ben Scott 

Tulsa OT Dillon Wade

Bama OT Amari Kight

Stanford OT Walter Rouse

Arizona DL Dion Wilson

OkSt DE Trace Ford

WMich DE Andre Carter

UVA DB Fentrell Cyprus

DB Tyler Scott

We will see the high school board shuffle a bit after the dust settles.

Great job keeping us updated but would have loved to have seen a couple of LB's in that list.

11 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Questions based on this list:

1. Do you think Dillion Johnson comes if Cobb announces later?

2. Do you think the WR's listed have not signed with other teams because they want to come to AU but want to see what our QB answer is from the portal?

3. Of the 4 OL listed, how many do you think we get?  Heard Rouse is least likely due to AU academics??

4. We really need those listed on Defense.  Do you feel optimistic here?

5.  Do we really need more in the secondary?  We are pretty stacked there now, correct?  I would prefer we hit the LB room harder than getting more DB's and Safety's.  Thoughts?

Tuberville had a lot of success growing larger DBs onto LBs.    (And,  I think a few LBs into edge rushers.)

May be CDHF can grow some LBs from larger DB too....  if he has to.   .

Just spitballing here. 

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Who is left:

MissSt RB Dillon Johnson - announcing in January

MissSt WR Rara Thomas - leaning Georgia due to our lack of clarity at QB

Oregon WR Dont’e Thornton

WVU WR Kaden Prather

AzSt C Ben Scott 

Tulsa OT Dillon Wade

Bama OT Amari Kight

Stanford OT Walter Rouse

Arizona DL Dion Wilson

OkSt DE Trace Ford

WMich DE Andre Carter

UVA DB Fentrell Cyprus

DB Tyler Scott

We will see the high school board shuffle a bit after the dust settles.

I'll take them all.   Just have them shipped to Auburn for me.

46 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Tuberville had a lot of success growing larger DBs onto LBs.    (And,  I think a few LBs into edge rushers.)

May be CDHF can grow some LBs from larger DB too....  if he has to.   .

Just spitballing here. 

I had the same thought as a DB that adds a few pounds would be really strong in coverage on RB's and TE's  which so many teams are using now.  That would work if the D-Line could keep the O-Line off of the LB's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great job keeping us updated but would have loved to have seen a couple of LB's in that list.

JMHO, that’s not an exhaustive list.   There will be more portal activity.   And I think CHF and staff have got to pursue a LB or 2 at some point.  Our LB situation is not good!  
It’s absolutely bonkers to think that our OL situation may get to the point where we’re fully stocked and turning some away.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Amen, you don't have to be pro Freeze to be pro Auburn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

JMHO, that’s not an exhaustive list.   There will be more portal activity.   And I think CHF and staff have got to pursue a LB or 2 at some point.  Our LB situation is not good!  
It’s absolutely bonkers to think that our OL situation may get to the point where we’re fully stocked and turning some away.  

I agree as Freeze knows we need LB's.  I think we need them even more then QB even though I wouldn't mind a really good Portal QB.

18 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sorry had wrestling practice. Will update soon.

18 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Been coaching wrestling all day. Can somebody fill me in on the day? 

Hmmm is Taylor,  Zeek's wrestling coach?  C'mon man.  You know how we need Zeek for signing day.  Practice the next day.  🙂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

They said Scott will sign at halftime of the Under Armour game in January

@TeamZero77 Scott has already signed with his school of choice. He’s just not going public with it until the All-American bowl.

• Like 1