2023 3* Mich St. Transfer QB Payton Thorne commits to AU!

GreenTiger

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

TJ did not share the same attitude. Robby is a class act. Both QBs will make each other better. 

To be fair, TJ has the GT option, and Robbie does not yet. Both are doing what's best for them in their circumstances. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Already signed 

THAT WAS FAST! LET’S GO — WDE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phillyeagle said:

To be fair, TJ has the GT option, and Robbie does not yet. Both are doing what's best for them in their circumstances. 

TJ made comments that if AU brought in a grad transfer it was a slap in the face. He didn’t feel the need to compete for the job. It was very apparent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

TJ did not share the same attitude. Robby is a class act. Both QBs will make each other better. 

Robbie is stuck until he graduates next summer.  I can see him leaving then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Robbie is stuck until he graduates next summer.  I can see him leaving then.

Hopefully we get some value out of him, and get him some tape. Who knows maybe he learns and grows , be prepared to be the next man up. Wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Will he wear 1 and not 10?

Hopefully he'll be the the phoenix rising from the Nix ashes if he wears 10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

excited.gif 

So pumped about this!  CHF is wanting to win now. Not next year, not when he recruits his guys. He wants it NOW!!!

Sounds like a Queen song

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Sounds like a Queen song

Not a better vocalist, IMO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The lions roar said:

Does this mean we are not getting McCall?

sorry😔

No but I've heard that we're getting Seastrunk!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Will he wear 1 and not 10?

Pretty sure he'll be wearing #1. I thought I heard that's what he asked for. Coincidentally, there's an opening for the #1 jersey now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Who knew this tampering stuff actually works.   We should try it some more :)

It helps when we have a head coach who knows what he is doing.  Thorne would never have left MSU for Harsin (and probably not Gus).  We need the big uglies up front.

Edited by TigerVII
Spelling

27 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

It helps when we have a head coach who knows what he is doing.  Thorne would never have left MSU for Harsin (and probably not Gus).  We need the big uglies up front.

Eh, we had pretty good offensive recruiters imo. If they could put the classes together they did (just purely talking in terms of rankings) while being as mild mannered as I’ve been told, they would’ve been killing it if they got dirty like it’s safe to assume Hugh does

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh, we had pretty good offensive recruiters imo. If they could put the classes together they did (just purely talking in terms of rankings) while being as mild mannered as I’ve been told, they would’ve been killing it if they got dirty like it’s safe to assume Hugh does

It’s not about safe or dirty. It’s about the intellect to build a team. Gus has no clue how to successfully prioritize needs. Rankings are good only to the point that they address specific needs. People got enamored by rankings and that was the biggest issue, even in the face of deficiency. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

For those interested in Payton Thorne's family background, his grandfather on his Mom's side played football for Wisconsin. 

His other grandfather is John Thorne. He was a high school football HC in Illinois from 1980-2001 going 181-65 and winning 4 State Titles. He became a HC of Division III North Central College in 2002 until 2014. His record was 118-30 in college. He won 4 Conference Titles and was named Division III Coach of the Year 3 times. He is in the NCC Hall of Fame.

Payton's father is Jeff Thorne and he is the OC at Western Michigan. He played QB for Eastern Illinois University and then got into coaching as well. He was the OC at North Central College until 2015 when his Dad, John, retired and Jeff took over the head coaching duties. Jeff's team won the 2019 Division III National Title and he was also named 2019 D-III Coach of the Year. In 2021, Jeff's North Central College team made it to the D-III National Championship game again but were beaten this time.

The first game off the 2022 season, Michigan State played Western Michigan. Payton was starting QB for Michigan State and his father Jeff was the OC for Western Michigan. Pretty neat they got to play against one another.

I know all of this doesn't mean that Payton Thorne will be all-world here at Auburn but I just found the family's background in playing and coaching football pretty interesting. 

I'm really happy that Coach Freeze got his QB and Sept. 2nd can't get here quick enough. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Every program has a key turning point when they’re rebuilt. Usually it’s almost impossible to identify that moment. Here it’s quite easy. This is huge and you already see two of the top portal receivers gaining traction.

Casey Thompson is looking at FAU for anyone concerned about our choice…

This is a massive win for Hugh and the staff. Get ready.

Wait so Billy is actually rolling with Mertz? lol

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s not about safe or dirty. It’s about the intellect to build a team. Gus has no clue how to successfully prioritize needs. Rankings are good only to the point that they address specific needs. People got enamored by rankings and that was the biggest issue, even in the face of deficiency. 

Yeah but I wasn't really talking about that, just the original posters point about whether or not Gus could've did what it's assumed Hugh did to pry this QB away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

For those interested in Payton Thorne's family background, his grandfather on his Mom's side played football for Wisconsin. 

His other grandfather is John Thorne. He was a high school football HC in Illinois from 1980-2001 going 181-65 and winning 4 State Titles. He became a HC of Division III North Central College in 2002 until 2014. His record was 118-30 in college. He won 4 Conference Titles and was named Division III Coach of the Year 3 times. He is in the NCC Hall of Fame.

Payton's father is Jeff Thorne and he is the OC at Western Michigan. He played QB for Eastern Illinois University and then got into coaching as well. He was the OC at North Central College until 2015 when his Dad, John, retired and Jeff took over the head coaching duties. Jeff's team won the 2019 Division III National Title and he was also named 2019 D-III Coach of the Year. In 2021, Jeff's North Central College team made it to the D-III National Championship game again but were beaten this time.

The first game off the 2022 season, Michigan State played Western Michigan. Payton was starting QB for Michigan State and his father Jeff was the OC for Western Michigan. Pretty neat they got to play against one another.

I know all of this doesn't mean that Payton Thorne will be all-world here at Auburn but I just found the family's background in playing and coaching football pretty interesting. 

I'm really happy that Coach Freeze got his QB and Sept. 2nd can't get here quick enough. WDE

Any relation to Damien Thorn? That might be a bad omen.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

thank-you-thanks.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1