2023 3* Mich St. Transfer QB Payton Thorne commits to AU!

GreenTiger

6 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Oh come on.   The one guy in the upper right is being blocked.   what else do you want?   A really good QB or RB should be able to make the first 6 or 7 guys miss.  

That's what you get playing a lot of deep snappers

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wish I could take credit for that, but I owe it all to Chunk 

Great movie wife and I watched it many times

• Love 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Some validity in what you say about new playbook, and new reads especially the reads in the new Offense but new footwork not so much  QB's have been learning footwork since they started the game. I am not saying that there might be some minor things on footwork but by the time a QB is in his third year at QB he should have his footwork down.  Bo has a new offense and Playbook at Oregon last year and he produced right out of the gate. From what I read about all 3 of our current QB's this year in practice even without being rushed they were all having trouble with the reads and even when they made the read with their accuracy but towards the end HG seemed to have done better with both reads and accuracy.

To me what is telling on Pro Day our TE asked for HG and not RA to throw to him. That speaks volumes.

My main point is expecting any of these QBs to look like substantially better after 1 month of practice is unrealistic.  I’m sure Hugh gave all 3 a fair shake.  With Robbie’s athletic ability why would you not want him to improve?  Also it’s easier to keep what you have than try and get someone new.  This probably all be a moot point in the next week.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My main point is expecting any of these QBs to look like substantially better after 1 month of practice is unrealistic.  I’m sure Hugh gave all 3 a fair shake.  With Robbie’s athletic ability why would you not want him to improve?  Also it’s easier to keep what you have than try and get someone new.  This probably all be a moot point in the next week.  

Bringing in another QB especially after losing one to the portal is pretty important to spur competition. I’d be shocked if Thorne were promised the starting role. He will essentially be competing with QB’s that have more experience in Freeze’s offense and if he still beats them (which he will) they have 0 room to complain.

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Of course it's unrealistic. But the whole point here is that the QB's that we have/had are part and parcel why this was a 5-win team last season, and a 6-win team the year prior to that. They simply weren't good.

So the whole point is: why would Hugh Freeze risk his own ass under the extremely small likelihood that these guys are going to be "developed" into being SIGNIFICANTLY better (which is what it will take), when he can just go out and get someone who is already good on top of being considerably more experienced? It's a really silly proposition.

Some of you need to put yourselves in Freeze's shoes. This is his last shot and he got a miracle to land a job of Auburn's caliber. He has ~2 years to start showing something on the field, and year #1 is extremely important for recruiting purposes. Pretend you are in his shoes and tell me with a straight face that your plan is going to be to "develop" Robby Ashford LMAO. This is the most important position on the field. Ashford has been in college for 3 years and still has not developed basic consistency, decision making, etc. Do you understand that guys like this RARELY ever magically get better in year 4?

So do you expect Freeze to behave in a suicidal manner? Or do you expect him to behave like a coach being paid $6+ million to produce results in the toughest conference in the country?

• Like 7

On 5/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Mike G has a tonnnnn of bad takes, dating back to him blaming Bo Nix for the WR's and O Line struggles of the years Bo was at Auburn. I think the guy just likes to stir the pot.

He was passionately defending Spud(er) Man as late as October.

All that said I hope he's feeling better.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

What is hilarious is when he breaks down the stats for both QBs… and they are just about identical. 

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If it was just footwork, and making reads that's one thing, but our current crop of QB's were having trouble completing passes against air in the spring. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

After seeing a few posts like this over the years from MarylandTiger, I'm convinced you're some satire/parody/troll account. I'm a little sad we share a similar screen naming convention.  This doesn't deserve the attention I'm giving it, so all I'll say is, bless your heart.

What makes it worse is Robby isn’t even the number one quarterback right now.

This from Trevon Reed a week or so ago:

Reed confirmed that the Tigers are still in search of a transfer portal QB, but noted that if (Auburn) is not going to get a top tier quarterback, the his bet would be on Holden Geriner being the starter.

Edited by AU-24

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Of course it's unrealistic. But the whole point here is that the QB's that we have/had are part and parcel why this was a 5-win team last season, and a 6-win team the year prior to that. They simply weren't good.

So the whole point is: why would Hugh Freeze risk his own ass under the extremely small likelihood that these guys are going to be "developed" into being SIGNIFICANTLY better (which is what it will take), when he can just go out and get someone who is already good on top of being considerably more experienced? It's a really silly proposition.

Some of you need to put yourselves in Freeze's shoes. This is his last shot and he got a miracle to land a job of Auburn's caliber. He has ~2 years to start showing something on the field, and year #1 is extremely important for recruiting purposes. Pretend you are in his shoes and tell me with a straight face that your plan is going to be to "develop" Robby Ashford LMAO. This is the most important position on the field. Ashford has been in college for 3 years and still has not developed basic consistency, decision making, etc. Do you understand that guys like this RARELY ever magically get better in year 4?

So do you expect Freeze to behave in a suicidal manner? Or do you expect him to behave like a coach being paid $6+ million to produce results in the toughest conference in the country?

I’m also not advocating for Hugh to stick with the QBs on the roster.  I’m just speaking to the people who don’t think the current guys got a fair shake and the ones who expected the QBs to all the sudden be better after a month with Hugh at the helm.  I think 99% of folks knew the Qb starting the this upcoming season wasn’t on the roster he inherited.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

his bet would be on Holden Geriner being the starter

Note the word BET.  A bet is not a certainty or absolute.  Unless,,, we're talking about Alabama baseball.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

the ones who expected the QBs to all the sudden be better after a month with Hugh at the helm.

I mean, these guys basically had to get re-trained basic fundamentals from the sound of it...this is bad. I expect Thorn to seek some improvement after a month of being with this coaching staff, even if it is modest.

• Like 1

So what is the new ETA on Thorne making this official?

• Thanks 1

I'm just asking, because this seems to be a recurring issue.

QBs who have had YEARS of coaching under different coaches, including summer camps with very experienced coaches. And I'm betting every one of those coaches were emphasizing the same thing -- footwork, shoulders, arm, read, lead, etc.

So, why are we still stuck with QBs who cannot figure out how to set their feet, position properly, read, and lead? Yes, we've had sh***t OLs, but even on the run, there are basics of body, position, angle, etc. By this point, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, no college level QB, should be just chunking balls and wishing/hoping/praying.

Why should CHF be expected to start all over again with incompetent QBs? Well, except that's what he inherited. Just chunk it and hope QBs.

Will a transfer be able to step in with an actual skill set to lead Auburn in the toughest division of the toughest conference with an annually tough schedule?

Looking for a miracle? There ya go.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Just a guess - by Monday 

So you think we should have a good weekend?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

So what is the new ETA on Thorne making this official?

@ArgoEagle I haven’t seen an original or a new ETA for what it’s worth. He’s supposed to be graduating today, so my guess would be sometime this weekend.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm just asking, because this seems to be a recurring issue.

QBs who have had YEARS of coaching under different coaches, including summer camps with very experienced coaches. And I'm betting every one of those coaches were emphasizing the same thing -- footwork, shoulders, arm, read, lead, etc.

So, why are we still stuck with QBs who cannot figure out how to set their feet, position properly, read, and lead? Yes, we've had sh***t OLs, but even on the run, there are basics of body, position, angle, etc. By this point, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, no college level QB, should be just chunking balls and wishing/hoping/praying.

Why should CHF be expected to start all over again with incompetent QBs? Well, except that's what he inherited. Just chunk it and hope QBs.

Will a transfer be able to step in with an actual skill set to lead Auburn in the toughest division of the toughest conference with an annually tough schedule?

Looking for a miracle? There ya go.

I’ve never played QB on any level. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn express. So….  

So could it be that the mental side of the position supersedes the physical side and that is why some QBs struggle in real time play???? The mental aspect isn’t clicking therefore the physical aspect isn’t in the right position. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Haven’t you heard?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Haven’t you heard?

Temptation…

no, heard what? 
gonna be a fun day!

Enjoy! LOL

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Temptation…

no, heard what? 
gonna be a fun day!

Enjoy! LOL

OMG @bigbird HE HASN’T HEARD!!!

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Seems to depend on if it's a holiday weekend

5 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Payton is already bringing fans together.  It’s a precious sight to see. 

So nice to see the two of you showing so much love to each other this week @augolf1716@bigbird

1890B54B-B07E-4673-A5DD-CAD97BAF0592.jpeg

You just broke both of them! 😝 

• Haha 2