2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

I think Freeze did a great job with what little he had the first time around.  I think with a full year he can at the minimum replicate what he did last year in the transfer portal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think Freeze did a great job with what little he had the first time around.  I think with a full year he can at the minimum replicate what he did last year in the transfer portal.

You can so the potential. The hard truth is we will have to be patient until he gets his hs recruits in...PT better be back next year with a full spring and summer to grow. I fear RA and Holden will be gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Another jinx post.

The bravo bull. My favorite wrestler besides macho man randy savage 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Our OL isn't that bad.  Lots of sacks on the QB

The guys we have this year are mostly going to be gone. We will start the season with another rebuilt oline. Hopefully we will portal well again but I have my doubts.

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

The guys we have this year are mostly going to be gone. We will start the season with another rebuilt oline. Hopefully we will portal well again but I have my doubts.

LT - Wade will probably get drafted, LT will be a huge target.  We don't have any on the roster
RT - Miller will be back and starter
C - Lew takes over here and honestly don't think he'll be worse than Young.  Possibly better.
Guards - Britton is gone and Stutts is gone.  Does Wright hand around for a 6th year and finally get a starting shot?  Tate Johnson either needs to be a starter or move on. There are a lot of guys that will be in the system for a year plus.  Muskrat or EJ Harris.  Some RSFR guys who probably shouldn't expect to be starters like Senda or Joiner.  Probably need a starting Guard.

So 2/5 outside replacements...not fully starting over.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Can we get the QB from Arizona? Dude is balling! 

AZ.JPG

84 is a whole new level of QB numbers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

JMO doltish or not.

1200 ranked player in the nation.  Extremely low 3*.  Zero quality P5 offers  Statistical chance of becoming a goo P5 starter probably like 10%.  Likely hood of him ever taking meaningful snaps at Auburn is extremely low.  

If only we had hired  a coach that had proven success with developing a 3 star QB into a day 2 pick. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's going to be interesting.  We've got A LOT of super seniors with eligibility and only 18 that have to leave.  Think we have 82 scholarships with 2 walkons that need theirs clawed back.  We have a lot of dead weight that will need to be told to hit the road.  IMO we need another 15 tranfesrs again.

QB (1) - Everyone wants wan but IDK if we can sell a good guy on our team w/ an incumbent starter in Thorne returning
RB - Should be fine.  I think Battie could even come back
WR (2) - We can't rely on a bunch of freshman and a small slot WR in Fair.  We probably need 2
TE - Everyone is eligible to come back. We have too many and 3 super seniors that are blockers only.
OL (2-3)- We'll lose Britton, Young, Stutts, and Wade has a solid chance to go pro.  We don't have a LT on our roster.  We can probably replace Young with Lew and maybe get better.  We need a guard in the portal.  Maybe look for a young guy that is leaving a stacked school after his FR/Soph  year to fill out lower classes

DL (2) - I hope Harris doesn't leave.  Going to need some DT/SDE player for at least depth.  2
Edge (1-2) - Still don't have rushers
LB (2) - We might lose a spot against the 85 if Tolan doesn't land somewhere.  I think Nixon is the only one that is out of eligibility.  We kinda need some guys to roll out
S (2) - Be interesting on who returns.  But Puckett and SImpson RS in '19, 20 doesn't count, and only using their 3rd year of eligibility in '23.  I'd guess Simpson might go pro moreso out of the two.  Kuafman and Scott also back.  Depth is bad after our top 4 Safeties, although Love looks promising
DB (1-2) - Can never have enough.  have some talented young guys but a top cover transfer would be nice.

Every top 20 program's backup OL should be contacted! 

I'd like for Harris to stay too, but if he keeps getting better he could get drafted and that would help recruiting.

I think our portal class will be slightly smaller than this year's because our 24 recruiting class will be better than 23. This could be the last big portal class Hugh brings in. A lot can happen in 2 months. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

LT - Wade will probably get drafted, LT will be a huge target.  We don't have any on the roster
C - Lew takes over here and honestly don't think he'll be worse than Young.  Possibly better.
Guards - Britton is gone and Stutts is gone.  Does Wright hand around for a 6th year and finally get a starting shot?  Tate Johnson either needs to be a starter or move on. There are a lot of guys that will be in the system for a year plus.  Muskrat or EJ Harris.  Some RSFR guys who probably shouldn't expect to be starters like Senda or Joiner.  Probably need a starting Guard.

We need to make sure as many guys as possible stay, because I have a feeling that guys at other places will (Will Rogers, KJ Jefferson, Dillon Gabriel, Spencer Rattler, etc). Ngl, I’m going to be very irritated if come December we’re saying things like: “we may be improved but it probably won’t show up in the record!” Literally every time we’ve said that outside of going into a first year…it hasn’t gone well.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If only we had hired  a coach that had proven success with developing a 3 star QB into a day 2 pick. 

Ah yes, the proverbial diamond in the rough.  Why even recruit 4* and 5* kids

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, woodford said:

Interesting. I think portal focuses need to be OL and on defense for 2024. 

If you go after a QB then HG and RA are probably gone.

I would see those two leaving as a positive at the QB position. If HG cant see the field after watching Thorne and Ashford that says a lot about his future. No way Id go into next season with Thorne as my presumed starter. Id be happy to keep Brown, bring Walker in and hit the portal again. Other than Fair maybe, Id say the same about WR. I hoped for average play from the QB and WR groups(maybe) and theyre not even close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Not the point I was making, but I will play along.

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

Russell Wilson

P Mahommes

Jimmy G.

Mac Jones

Zac Wilson

Kenny Pickett

Ryan Tannehill

Desmond Ridder

Dak Prescott

Jordan Love

Kirk Cousins

Daniel Jones (2 star)

Brock Purdy

Baker Mayfield

Every  name above was a 3 star composite or worse. Thats approximately 1/2 of the starting QBS in the NFL right now.  Of course we want all blue chip recruits.  Nobody ever said we didn't want 4 and 5 star QBs. That was not even the argument. The fact is though, There have been many 3 star QBS develpped into great College Qbs and NFL draft picks and our HC is one that has had success in doing so on more than one occasion . 

What about Holden? What's wrong with him that he can't be developed? Didn't  HCBHF say he was the best pure passer on the team?  Why do you feel he is not capable of being developed?

I trust HCBHF when it comes to QBS.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Not the point I was making, but I will play along.

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

Russell Wilson

P Mahommes

Jimmy G.

Mac Jones

Zac Wilson

Kenny Pickett

Ryan Tannehill

Desmond Ridder

Dak Prescott

Jordan Love

Kirk Cousins

Daniel Jones (2 star)

Brock Purdy

Baker Mayfield

Every  name above was a 3 star composite or worse. Thats approximately 1/2 of the starting QBS in the NFL right now.  Of course we want all blue chip recruits.  Nobody ever said we didn't want 4 and 5 star QBs. That was not even the argument. The fact is though, There have been many 3 star QBS develpped into great College Qbs and NFL draft picks and our HC is one that has had success in doing so on more than one occasion . 

What about Holden? What's wrong with him that he can't be developed? Didn't  HCBHF say he was the best pure passer on the team?  Why do you feel he is not capable of being developed?

I trust HCBHF when it comes to QBS.

Cool.  You named 10 people over the corse of the last 10 years.

How many 3* guys over that time??? 15,000 to 18,000.  Great odds!!!

5* kids are like 10x more likely to get drafted than 3* kids. 4* kids are like 5x more likely.  But hey!!!! Let's select these 2 guys out of a pool of 1800 3* per year, we have that magical touch!!!!

I'm not even going to go through you whole list bc Lamar Jackson was a 4* QB and so was Mac Jones.  So great work!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cool.  You named 10 people over the corse of the last 10 years.

I simply looked at the NFL's current list of starting QBs and half were 3 star comps or lower.  That alone bust your argument that Hank Brown is not capable of being developed because he is a 3 star recruit. 

52 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

How many 3* guys over that time??? 15,000 to 18,000.  Great odds!!!

Yes it's a large pool. Again, I am not betting on the kid to do anything...just pointing out a number of examples that counter the basis for your claim.

55 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

5* kids are like 10x more likely to get drafted than 3* kids. 4* kids are like 5x more likely.  But hey!!!! Let's select these 2 guys out of a pool of 1800 3* per year, we have that magical touch!!!!

No one is arguing that 3 stars are more likely to get drafted.  

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not even going to go through you whole list bc Lamar Jackson was a 4* QB and so was Mac Jones.  So great work!

Mac and Lamar were both composite 3 star recruits which is what I said. Screenshot2023-10-089_47_54PM.thumb.png.8cefe8bb2ddb7068c327191c65ae25aa.pngScreenshot2023-10-089_47_25PM.thumb.png.3a369533545a737082c23b52ca914d94.png

You seem to be more concerned with being sarcastic than actually having a  legit conversation. Have a good evening, bud.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I simply looked at the NFL's current list of starting QBs and half were 3 star comps or lower.  That alone bust your argument that Hank Brown is not capable of being developed because he is a 3 star recruit. 

Yes it's a large pool. Again, I am not betting on the kid to do anything...just pointing out a number of examples that counter the basis for your claim.

No one is arguing that 3 stars are more likely to get drafted.  

Mac and Lamar were both composite 3 star recruits which is what I said. Screenshot2023-10-089_47_54PM.thumb.png.8cefe8bb2ddb7068c327191c65ae25aa.pngScreenshot2023-10-089_47_25PM.thumb.png.3a369533545a737082c23b52ca914d94.png

You seem to be more concerned with being sarcastic than actually having a  legit conversation. Have a good evening, bud.

You should attempt to go back and reread my argument again bc your first response is completely wrong. 

I'm not going to read the rest due to that fact

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You should attempt to go back and reread my argument again bc your first response is completely wrong. 

I'm not going to read the rest due to that fact

How convenient!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

JMO doltish or not.

1200 ranked player in the nation.  Extremely low 3*.  Zero quality P5 offers  Statistical chance of becoming a goo P5 starter probably like 10%.  Likely hood of him ever taking meaningful snaps at Auburn is extremely low.  

29 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hank Brown is not capable of being developed because he is a 3 star recruit. 

Here. They are side by side now. If you still can't read, comprehend, and figure it out...idk what to tell you

This is a "you problem"

Edited by W.E.D

I'm sorry, but next season will be similar to this season, because CHF and staff will work their butts off for the few best HS kids they can find, and then work their butts off for the best portal guys they can lure to AU.

It's gonna take 2-3 more years for CHF and staff to attract enough A+ highschool kids, and then another 2-3 years to coach them up for SEC play.

I have confidence in CHF and his assistant coaches. But my expectations are maybe lower than a lot of guys here at AUF.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Here. They are side by side now. If you still can't read, comprehend, and figure it out...idk what to tell you

This is a "you problem"

No problems, bud. Simply was trying to have a conversation with a fellow fan to try and understand how you could feel that our entire QB Room is not "developable". That just came off as crazy take for me so . It's all good, though. Let's just agree to disagree. Maybe I took your original post (below)  out of context.  

On 10/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, W.E.D said:

We don't have any yet on campus that are developable

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Our OL isn't that bad.  Lots of sacks on the QB

Thorne is to blame for some of those sacks for sure. Heard a Stat that he has thrown 0 balls away to avoid a sack. Robbie has done it twice with his limited play

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No, not fully starting over which is not what I intended to imply. Our line is ok to decent this year. I dont have a lot of faith in the portal working for us in that department as well as it did last year/this year. Hope we do better with the staff having more familiarity with what we have and what we need. Just saying give me a mobile QB, more mobile in the pocket than Thorne and better passer than Robbie while we develope our linemen

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm sorry, but next season will be similar to this season, because CHF and staff will work their butts off for the few best HS kids they can find, and then work their butts off for the best portal guys they can lure to AU.

It's gonna take 2-3 more years for CHF and staff to attract enough A+ highschool kids, and then another 2-3 years to coach them up for SEC play.

I have confidence in CHF and his assistant coaches. But my expectations are maybe lower than a lot of guys here at AUF.

Le sigh, this is exactly what I’m talking about in my previous post. One game improvement (from likely six this year) shouldn’t be an unrealistic ask. We MUST convince as many starters as we can to stay, especially if they’re not going to go high enough in the draft to really help recruiting.

Edited by AUwent

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

then  he can dev a 4* to a day 1 pick; or a 5* to a first round pick 

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No problems, bud. Simply was trying to have a conversation with a fellow fan to try and understand how you could feel that our entire QB Room is not "developable". That just came off as crazy take for me so . It's all good, though. Let's just agree to disagree. Maybe I took your original post (below)  out of context.  

Yes. And you asked why and I explained it. 

I never said they can't develop, I gave my reason bc a fraction of lowly rated 3* guys ever develop. If he does, great. I'm just not going to put much hope in a guy that has a less than 1% chance to turn into Pat Mahomes