Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

I get what you are saying but I’m not the one with the money.   What if there is only a certain amount?   Why is no one thinking of this?  Everyone loves too spend other peoples money.   

If we want to win championships we'll spend it. And if the reports are true it seems we are willing to do so by adding our name to the list offering Cam Ward 1M. 

Also, I think it's based on our current situation at QB; not something we're looking to do each year as far as going to the portal for a QB.  I don't think Auburn should be paying 1M for a top free agent QB each year. I'm not interested in becoming USC's coach. But it's HF's first year and he was left with nothing in the QB room. Plus our fan base isn't exactly patient when it comes to coaches and HF has the desire to turn things around quickly.  

• Like 1

the cold hard fact is no one should be happy with thorne. personally i love a qb that is mean as well as some talent. i feel like there was no leadership during nmsu. i know the team had a bad day but leadership means something. hell i could be wrong but that is the way i see it since you guys asked........

20 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I wasn’t defending the guy.  I’m all for going and trying to get a better Quarterback.   If it comes down to paying someone so much that other positions can’t be addressed, I would rather get a few guys that will turn the defense into a top SEC defense.   
Right now without seeing who is leaving for NFL, I believe Alabama, Georgia are losses next year no matter who they get at QB.   
To follow up with the QB thing this year, I also think that the coaches didn’t want to upset the locker room and went with the the 2 QB rotation.   That’s just my opinion 

And this is the mentality that some AU fans need to get away from. You're already chalking those games up to a loss. Why? I get that we have losses at other positions BUT we literally should've beaten Bama and we gave UGA one of their closest games of the season. That's with PT. You don't think we can win against either team or both with much better QB play? 

I think our players want to win. They'd be behind any new incoming QB if they can spin it and win the big games. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ewers was a freshman last year who also was injured and u trying to put PT in the same class. We have nothing else to talk about. 

And you are trying to make the case that PT should pass less when his completion rate is higher at AU than at MSU where he had an average of 3,000 yds/season.  If you have a 3,000 yd passer like PT who DOESN'T run, then why do you try to make him be a runner instead of improving his passing and the relationships with his receivers ?  You don't make him what he isn't.  You play to his strength, which is passing, but beginning with the Samford game Montgomery doubled his runs and then tripled his runs in the IB.  Why would you do that ?  Again, he isn't a runner, he's a passer.  Besides that, he's the only viable qb on our team and Montgomery put him at significant risk by running him.

The problem is NOT with PT.  It's either in the plays called by the OC or the receivers' training, maybe something else, maybe a combination.  PT has done his job.  Could he perform better ?  Yes, but he's exceeded what was known of his success at MSU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

In regards to the bolded, I wouldn't even say that someone like that is even a good quarterback because what happens when he plays a defense that is just as talented as / more than his offense? They'd struggle like Thorne did against Ohio State and Michigan in 2022. 

I specifically said great, when you are great you pull your team with you.  You don't see great qbs with 30% completion. If you are great you don't need a great team around you at every position to play great

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

And you are trying to make the case that PT should pass less when his completion rate is higher at AU than at MSU where he had an average of 3,000 yds/season.  If you have a 3,000 yd passer like PT who DOESN'T run, then why do you try to make him be a runner instead of improving his passing and the relationships with his receivers ?  You don't make him what he isn't.  You play to his strength, which is passing, but beginning with the Samford game Montgomery doubled his runs and then tripled his runs in the IB.  Why would you do that ?  Again, he isn't a runner, he's a passer.  Besides that, he's the only viable qb on our team and Montgomery put him at significant risk by running him.

The problem is NOT with PT.  It's either in the plays called by the OC or the receivers' training, maybe something else, maybe a combination.  PT has done his job.  Could he perform better ?  Yes, but he's exceeded what was known of his success at MSU.

I don't know why you brought up ewers and I don't know why as you try to make this wild argument you don't think to yourself how did this guy perform throwing the ball? And why would 3 coaches come together and make the decision to not throw as much with him?

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know why you brought up ewers and I don't know why as you try to make this wild argument you don't think to yourself how did this guy perform throwing the ball? And why would 3 coaches come together and make the decision to not throw as much with him? 

We need a QB who can make plays. The DL and DB in this league are too good to win with game manager types. If we want to be avg and win 8 games, keep Thorne.  QB needs upgraded just like alot of other positions.  Thorne is a middle of the pack SEC qb and that may be 2 generous.  

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

If the OC refuses to call passing plays

There is a reason for that. It's not "just WRs"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not trying to defend Thorne and his performances.    But let me ask this question, how many of us would feel good about our own performance and abilities, if we were being substituted like he was the first 6 games of the year?   I think everyone that has ever played would not have been as confident in our own abilities with the way the QB position was handled in the first half of the year.  

The subbing stopped and he didn't get better. Stayed bad

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Or we can upgrade all three and the whole team plays better.

WHOA WHAT A CONCEPT. 

Well sure, we can just wish a million dollars on it and poof, it'll happen! My point is look at Leary this year. By all accounts he was a premium QB that was brought in to elevate their QB play at great expense. It doesn't always work, doesn't mean you can't try, it isn't my money so knock it out.

51 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Well sure, we can just wish a million dollars on it and poof, it'll happen! My point is look at Leary this year. By all accounts he was a premium QB that was brought in to elevate their QB play at great expense. It doesn't always work, doesn't mean you can't try, it isn't my money so knock it out.

No your point was elevate the rest of the cast and the QB will play better POOF IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK THAT WAY EITHER. Poof we may not have extra MILLIONS of dollars to add all the quality guys that PT may need to get up to just competent standards (Oh wait, only works if you are talking about qbs). POOFS it isn't your money or any else's here so why the uproar of us wishing we improve at QB?

I just keep saying this, if we do not upgrade our offensive line, even a good qb is going to be running for his life. I'd rather spend the money and try to get some upgraded offensive lineman so whoever we have at the qb position actually has some time to throw the dang ball...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Our OL isn't that bad. Many worse in the SEC 

IMO , they definitely were better than last years oline

Edited by e808
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That is the biggest red herring...Literally, teams loaded the box because they didn't respect our passing game. That is tough on any offensive line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No your point was elevate the rest of the cast and the QB will play better POOF IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK THAT WAY EITHER. Poof we may not have extra MILLIONS of dollars to add all the quality guys that PT may need to get up to just competent standards (Oh wait, only works if you are talking about qbs). POOFS it isn't your money or any else's here so why the uproar of us wishing we improve at QB?

Easy big fella, it's just a conversation.

12 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Easy big fella, it's just a conversation.

Don't like the rebuttal huh? It be that way.

• Haha 1

I'm not on here as much so I just need someone to pm the qbs that get the pass.  I would also like an explanation as to why they get it, but I understand if that can't be explained as it usually no logic to the pass

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm not on here as much so I just need someone to pm the qbs that get the pass.  I would also like an explanation as to why they get it, but I understand if that can't be explained as it usually no logic to the pass

You know what is interesting? Schools like FSU and tOSU are supposedly after Cam Ward, even though they have infinite amount of talent. tOSU had a solidified starter (betting he put his name in the portal when he heard about Ward being talked to), yet they are still looking to upgrade. However, we got people saying we should be content.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know what is interesting? Schools like FSU and tOSU are supposedly after Cam Ward, even though they have infinite amount of talent. tOSU had a solidified starter (betting he put his name in the portal when he heard about Ward being talked to), yet they are still looking to upgrade. However, we got people saying we should be content.

Yep looks like McCord sees the writing on the wall and hitting the portal. Gabriel is interesting to me. My bias is probably kicking in lol

• Haha 1

Just now, e808 said:

Yep looks like McCord sees the writing on the wall and hitting the portal. Gabriel is interesting to me. My bias is probably kicking in lol

Haha I am betting he goes to the west coast. 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

U probably right . Oregon or USC closer to home. 

I am just waiting for Ward to get CBd to tOSU..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Understand but I did see games where it could be a lot better, it was better than last year but thats not saying a lot. I guess my next wish list would be receivers and tight ends that can actually catch the ball...way to many drops and really that whole group needs to be refreshed. I'm not against getting another QB if he is truly heads and shoulders above PT but we have a lot of deficiencies on offense and jut want to hopefully fix as many as we can vs just the QB. There was a lot of blame to go around including the play calling etc...

Just my .02...

Edited by bishoptf

26 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Understand but I did see games where it could be a lot better, it was better than last year but thats not saying a lot. I guess my next wish list would be receivers and tight ends that can actually catch the ball...way to many drops and really that whole group needs to be refreshed. I'm not against getting another QB if he is truly heads and shoulders above PT but we have a lot of deficiencies on offense and jut want to hopefully fix as many as we can vs just the QB. There was a lot of blame to go around including the play calling etc...

Just my .02...

Just food for thought 2021 IB Bryce Young was getting hammered for the majority of the game but when he was given a small window of opportunity he made Auburn pay. An elite Qb make everyone around them better . Just adding to the conversation 

• Like 1