Once again Freeze says he had team unprepared.

TigerOne

I like Coach Freeze and I hope he can get things turned around, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident he could. I sat in that cold stadium today and watched the offensive guru get totally outcoached all afternoon. Saban is possibly a couple wins from another natty, Kirby has built a machine in Athens, Lane is winning 11 games in Oxford, Eliah Drinkwitz is beating Ohio State and we're losing to the mighty Terrapins of Maryland in the Music City Bowl. I'm not calling for his head, but he/this program needs at least 8 wins next year to actually show progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought about spending my time and money making the trip with my son and I’m glad I didn’t. If Freeze can’t put some effort in trying to get the team ready then why bother 

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

This was a bad effort. But I’m not going to draw any major conclusions from this game. It didn’t enhance my confidence in freeze, but it really didn’t hurt it either. I’d bet the coaches were so focused on recruiting that they didn’t put a lot of energy into this game. If so, I’m fine with that. This season is a wash. I’d rather build momentum for the future than worry about a meaningless bowl game in a throw away season. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m filing this one away, and just looking to see some strides forward next season.

IMG_1965.webp.4492c3a8811064e50f5c1815b24a2e8b.webp

Somebody took the blue pill. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Last time I checked, the man has veto power. Good grief, this just keeps getting worse. Note to the Communications Department, please work with Hugh. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I think we may be due a refund.

Unfortunately Freeze and his boys will be rich no matter what.

right now Auburn fans should be sent a compensation check for being sold a lemon.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I get what u saying, but today was so bad, it's a cause for concern 

It’s definitely a cause for concern. Freeze keeps selling everyone on recruiting and the future but he can’t keep using that excuse. He put a horrible product on the field to the point where we shouldn’t panic but we should definitely be concerned. Even though it’s his first year, this game today and the NMSU game were some of the worst football Auburn has ever played 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

It’s definitely a cause for concern. Freeze keeps selling everyone on recruiting and the future but he can’t keep using that excuse. He put a horrible product on the field to the point where we shouldn’t panic but we should definitely be concerned. Even though it’s his first year, this game today and the NMSU game were some of the worst football Auburn has ever played 

Agreed, Freeze has shown no improvement in team prep or gameday  planning. He looks confused , unsure of any decisions and detached from the team on the sideline. Very little interaction. If you didn’t know better he looks like a coach in his last season or knows he will be fired.

35 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Freeze states the obvious and we're supposed to respect him more for it, I guess... 

As boring and as played out as it sounds, Gus did the same exact thing and he lasted 8 seasons. Freeze knows what he's doing.  The last thing he's going to do is throw the players under the bus. No amount of preparation was going to win you today's game with Payton Thorne as your QB.

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

WTF?!?

Youre the HEAD COACH!

If you don’t like the plan, CHANGE IT!!

Right? What is this? I feel like this is an easy fix.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

AU fans: We want a coach that doesn’t devolve into coach speak and just tell us like it is

Freeze: speaks candidly

AU fans:

IMG_4108.jpeg

You couldn't wait to use that gif huh?

Freeze dropped hints that this could be the case early on, and even hinted as to why. I think all of us just were so excited to be post Harsin that we all kind of ignored them. I think a tweet from Fairweather a little while ago gives even more evidence.

Freeze may have seen how weak the roster was not just from a talent standpoint, but from a player focus stand point. He decided to put the focus on building for the future because that was the only way out of the mess Harsin left. He wants to bring in his players that embrace a better culture and have better work ethic while also updating the quality of the players. If so, I think this was a throw away season. Until the Harsin recruits have departed, team culture might not fully change. So, it makes sense to focus efforts on building for the future, and it isn’t likely to happen again.

I wouldn’t say you’re wrong. It’s all plausible and likely as not. I drank that “culture” kool aid trying to get on board with Harsin as his apologists irrigated us with it. Thought he had at least a blue collar ‘work harder’ culture there (even if the stars were eclipsed). Now I’ll be happy not to hear culture as one of the variables in the equation again. I would agree that communications from the football department, AD, and Freeze specifically could be curated better (or pared back) to mitigate the cognitive dissonance. I muse at the excuses (problem was bigger, had to solely recruit) that further diminish his stature as a big time coach, guru, savior. Obviously the coaching talent and tactical management is spread too thin. It’s okay. Few know the exact issues and none know when/how it will resolve despite the cheerleaders and protectors (of whom you are not). He said this was the hardest year in his career on the pregame. 

3 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

As boring and as played out as it sounds, Gus did the same exact thing and he lasted 8 seasons. Freeze knows what he's doing.  The last thing he's going to do is throw the players under the bus. No amount of preparation was going to win you today's game with Payton Thorne as your QB.

Then why were we 7 point favorites and why did many sportscasters pick us to win the game?

Just now, AUx said:

I wouldn’t say you’re wrong. It’s all plausible and likely as not. I drank that “culture” kool aid trying to get on board with Harsin as his apologists irrigated us with it. Thought he had at least a blue collar ‘work harder’ culture there (even if the stars were eclipsed). Now I’ll be happy not to hear culture as one of the variables in the equation again. I would agree that communications from the football department, AD, and Freeze specifically could be curated better (or pared back) to mitigate the cognitive dissonance. I muse at the excuses (problem was bigger, had to solely recruit) that further diminish his stature as a big time coach, guru, savior. Obviously the coaching talent and tactical management is spread too thin. It’s okay. Few know the exact issues and none know when/how it will resolve despite the cheerleaders and protectors (of whom you are not). He said this was the hardest year in his career on the pregame. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Brother Hugh has A LOT of work to do before next season.  I give him a C- for this year.

Hopefully much better days are ahead because I sure didn't see what I expected and hoped to see this year.

7 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

WTF?!?

Youre the HEAD COACH!

If you don’t like the plan, CHANGE IT!!

The head coach is insecure and questions any decisions he has to make. Recruiting is his jam, coaching for games isn’t.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Then why were we 7 point favorites and why did many sportscasters pick us to win the game?

Was Georgia 60 point favorites against FSU? Those are betting odds, not necessarily who's going to win the game.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, PigskinPat said:

I guess oddsmakers and sportscasters are like us simple-minded fans.  We just don't appreciate the importance of recruiting over winning.  😉  

• Haha 1

I think a tweet from Fairweather a little while ago gives even more evidence.

What did he tweet?

2 minutes ago, catvomit said:

Brother Hugh has A LOT of work to do before next season.  I give him a C- for this year.

Hopefully much better days are ahead because I sure didn't see what I expected and hoped to see this year.

C-???? He gets a big fat F- for what he put on the field. Woefully unprepared and out coached

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Agreed, Freeze has shown no improvement in team prep or gameday  planning. He looks confused , unsure of any decisions and detached from the team on the sideline. Very little interaction. If you didn’t know better he looks like a coach in his last season or knows he will be fired.

I assumed he was intently listening to a Peter Lynch investment audio book the second half, since he didn’t have anything to say to the QBs. Sorry. Not really. But it’s funny, cynically. He was probably listening to the Hurry Up No Huddle audio book.