Once again Freeze says he had team unprepared.

TigerOne

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Ridiculous…Sounds like we need a new leader of the program. Gus couldn’t recruit OL and ran a high school offense but dang it I don’t recall such deflated performance out of his teams. We’ve had some of our most embarrassing losses in our history occur just this year. This guy is passé about winning.

I get him allocating more time to recruiting but he has completely put this team and season on the back burner and heck I’m fine with that. But I’m not fine with the statement it makes to the core and culture of our program moving forward. If it okay to not care this year then it’s okay for the team to not care next year and the next, right?

Freeze basically opted out of this whole season and that’s not fair to the upperclassman on the team

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

20 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Freeze basically opted out of this whole season and that’s not fair to the upperclassman on the team

Is this some kind of violation of contract? He shouldn’t be paid compensation if so. 
Auburn got conned again 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

I'm kinda ok with letting this one go. Bowl games are not what they used to be...we played the UGs and Turds pretty well....the Terps are not even close to those guys. ..a head coach starts out as selling themselves to get the job,...they actually need time to find the love and motivation for the team....Money doesn't buy that!!...after time, he will get his recruits, he will find his staff..it will take a few years (+/-)....it will happen. ...

Besides, put yourselves in coaching shoes...if you had to motivate a team to come out and make a statement (choose the easy way out), would it be Auburn vrs the Terps, or the Terps vrs Auburn?  ...if your the Terps, you have a shot at the SEC  and a trophy to signify it!...if your Auburn, you have a shot at a trophy you won vrs the Terps (yawwwn).....its a way less intresting game than regular season games...

IMHO, no one with Auburn has the right to feel superior or “above” any other team right now.  Auburn just turned in 3 straight losing seasons, Auburn shouldn’t discount a Terps team because we think they don’t measure up to Bama/Dawgs caliber.  We had 7 freaking loses as an SEC team which is pure crap.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

We had 7 freaking loses as an SEC team which is pure crap.

In a year with only 4 good teams.

1 hour ago, jknighton said:

I tend to agree especially with the cold weather and uninspiring football, but these are moments I'll cherish. I had a blast while having a bad time.

received_913442677072265.jpeg

See the resemblance. 

• Love 1

Think about the 2 games this year that this staff had extra time to prepare for; the LSU game coming off a bye week where we lost 48-18 and this bowl game where we had a month and 15 practices to get ready and we find ourselves down 21-0 in the 1st qtr and lose 31-13. Btw, Maryland scored those 31 points in the first 3 quarters. We are worse when we have extra time to prepare.

Go watch Payton Thorne's interview postgame and you will see and hear a dude that was completely checked out on this season before the team ever got to Nashville. He even says that he just wanted this year to be over and all he has looked forward to since signing day was these new recruits coming in for next season.

Thorne may run hard and take big shots from defenders to get an extra yard but he isn't a leader and I don't care that he's a 3 year Captain. He isn't vocal at all and there's a ton of times this season we needed a Michael Jordan, Kobe, Tom Brady type leader to get in these players faces and atleast try to get through to them that this s*** ain't cutting it. But he doesn't do it. If you ain't gonna be a vocal leader, you better be leading by example and your play. In my opinion he has done neither. Dude let an 18 year old Hank Brown step onto the field for the first time ever in college and he showed up Thorne in just 2 series. The team seemed to have a spark when Hank came in as well. 

One other thing, the commentators for this game mentioned on 3 different occasions that Freeze said Payton Thorne will be the starter next year. Freeze also seemed to hint very strongly at that on his ESD presser. Then in postgame this evening he said the QB competition will be open in spring. It sounds like he may be waffling on QB1 for next season but who knows? If I'm guessing, I think Freeze knows he is going with Thorne as QB1. Lord help us all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, jluvah said:

So let me get this right. We love him as a recruiter, just not as head coach. Even though most would say the roster he had this year was lower tier SEC.

All of that is true. The problem to me is when Freeze makes comments that he wasn't very involved in the game plan because he was recruiting.  To say that is asinine at worst and foolish at best. It gives the appearance that he can't multi task and is in over his head and is clueless at time mgmt. 

I've  never heard a coach make such a statement.  

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Think about the 2 games this year that this staff had extra time to prepare for; the LSU game coming off a bye week where we lost 48-18 and this bowl game where we had a month and 15 practices to get ready and we find ourselves down 21-0 in the 1st qtr and lose 31-13. Btw, Maryland scored those 31 points in the first 3 quarters. We are worse when we have extra time to prepare.

Go watch Payton Thorne's interview postgame and you will see and hear a dude that was completely checked out on this season before the team ever got to Nashville. He even says that he just wanted this year to be over and all he has looked forward to since signing day was these new recruits coming in for next season.

Thorne may run hard and take big shots from defenders to get an extra yard but he isn't a leader and I don't care that he's a 3 year Captain. He isn't vocal at all and there's a ton of times this season we needed a Michael Jordan, Kobe, Tom Brady type leader to get in these players faces and atleast try to get through to them that this s*** ain't cutting it. But he doesn't do it. If you ain't gonna be a vocal leader, you better be leading by example and your play. In my opinion he has done neither. Dude let an 18 year old Hank Brown step onto the field for the first time ever in college and he showed up Thorne in just 2 series. The team seemed to have a spark when Hank came in as well. 

One other thing, the commentators for this game mentioned on 3 different occasions that Freeze said Payton Thorne will be the starter next year. Freeze also seemed to hint very strongly at that on his ESD presser. Then in postgame this evening he said the QB competition will be open in spring. It sounds like he may be waffling on QB1 for next season but who knows? If I'm guessing, I think Freeze knows he is going with Thorne as QB1. Lord help us all.

He has no clue who the QB will be. He painted himself in a corner saying he wasn't gonna get a Portal  qb because if he did PT and Gernier would transfer. That's just more reason to get one IMO

12 hours ago, TigerOne said:

He looks confused , unsure of any decisions and detached from the team on the sideline. Very little interaction. 

I agree.

Why would he act like that if he wants to be here? 

9 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Also Maryland was playing a backup Quarterback who hasn’t had any reps in 2 years and he still looked more competent than Thorne has who’s had 3 years of starting experience.

If you were a casual fan who didn’t know know anything about either team you would’ve thought the Maryland QB was the more experienced one and thought Thorne was the backup 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 4

Players take on the personality of their HC.  Hugh admitted he was removed from game planning on multiple occasions this season and therefore his players looked uninterested, lacked a competitive spirit and lacked a leader.  

Someone inside the AD told Hugh to be laser focused on talent acquisition and put roster development and actual game planning on the back burner.  That’s a risky strategy in this conference, I guess we’ll see if it works out or not.

“Coach Freeze said, ‘We’re going to set a standard here’ and it’s a lot of loose leashes around here on this team that we need to get rid of and just find a group of people that’s going to really come together as a team and lock in and put their life on the line to win a game here,” said Fairweather.

However, as important as it is for Auburn’s players to recognize the disconnect and map out plans to resolve it, in the grand scheme of things, the fix starts with Freeze.

The good news is he knows that.

“I don’t need anyone to tell me when we don’t measure up. That starts with me.” Freeze said to open his press conference Saturday night. “To not perform any better in games this year like this, I promise you that — I don’t need someone to tell me I didn’t get it done.”

Source al.com

Edited by Ausburn2

4 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

“Coach Freeze said, ‘We’re going to set a standard here’ and it’s a lot of loose leashes around here on this team that we need to get rid of and just find a group of people that’s going to really come together as a team and lock in and put their life on the line to win a game here,” said Fairweather.

However, as important as it is for Auburn’s players to recognize the disconnect and map out plans to resolve it, in the grand scheme of things, the fix starts with Freeze.

The good news is he knows that.

“I don’t need anyone to tell me when we don’t measure up. That starts with me.” Freeze said to open his press conference Saturday night. “To not perform any better in games this year like this, I promise you that — I don’t need someone to tell me I didn’t get it done.”

Source al.com

Are you a bot?

22 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Serious warning flags

thing is with even a little focus and execution Auburn could have won the game. Turnovers, mental mistakes, lack of desire, and poor coaching make it near impossible to win.

Agree with everything but the bold

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Players take on the personality of their HC.  Hugh admitted he was removed from game planning on multiple occasions this season and therefore his players looked uninterested, lacked a competitive spirit and lacked a leader.  

Someone inside the AD told Hugh to be laser focused on talent acquisition and put roster development and actual game planning on the back burner.  That’s a risky strategy in this conference, I guess we’ll see if it works out or not.

You got good sources that told you this?

29 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

You got good sources that told you this?

The money men acquired Freeze, they opened up the bank to buy the needed talent and they told Freeze to go shopping.  On multiple occasions Freeze has stated publicly that he has been removed from the game planning aspect because he was occupied with recruiting.  Common sense tells me he was instructed or told to stock the cupboard immediately.  I can’t recall hearing another HC state that he was pretty much removed from the actual coaching/player development and game day prep because of his devotion to recruiting.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 7:56 AM, jluvah said:

So let me get this right. We love him as a recruiter, just not as head coach. Even though most would say the roster he had this year was lower tier SEC.

lower than NMS ?

23 hours ago, jknighton said:

I tend to agree especially with the cold weather and uninspiring football, but these are moments I'll cherish. I had a blast while having a bad time.

received_913442677072265.jpeg

For many of us, a win is measured differently. 
Looks like win for you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, keesler said:

The money men acquired Freeze, they opened up the bank to buy the needed talent and they told Freeze to go shopping.  On multiple occasions Freeze has stated publicly that he has been removed from the game planning aspect because he was occupied with recruiting.  Common sense tells me he was instructed or told to stock the cupboard immediately.  I can’t recall hearing another HC state that he was pretty much removed from the actual coaching/player development and game day prep because of his devotion to recruiting.

So we still don’t have a head coach?

freeze should be fired or removed if he is not allowed or able to do the job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keesler said:

There is not a coach that is worth his salt would ever take a HC job where people dictate to them how to run the job especially if they instruct him to step away from game planning duties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

There is not a coach that is worth his salt would ever take a HC job where people dictate to them how to run the job especially if they instruct him to step away from game planning duties.

It’s not like Hugh had a whole lot of options in the head coaching profession, in the SEC, at a place like AU.  It’s not like AU had a plethora of options to replace Harbin either.  Auburn needed Freeze and Freeze needed Auburn.

Now we play the wait-n-see game for a few years and see if he can miraculously string together back to back 9 or 10 win seasons…. Something many of his predecessors couldn’t find a way to do. 

5 hours ago, keesler said:

It’s not like Hugh had a whole lot of options in the head coaching profession, in the SEC, at a place like AU.  It’s not like AU had a plethora of options to replace Harbin either.  Auburn needed Freeze and Freeze needed Auburn.

Now we play the wait-n-see game for a few years and see if he can miraculously string together back to back 9 or 10 win seasons…. Something many of his predecessors couldn’t find a way to do. 

Options do not matter.  So he has to stay at Liberty and not take the head job at Auburn.  That what a good HC would do.  There is no way anyone should have there hands tied by Alumni dictating how to do the job.

Auburn didn't have many other canadiates because Auburn did the shotty job search they always do when looking for a coach.

22 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Also Maryland was playing a backup Quarterback who hasn’t had any reps in 2 years and he still looked more competent than Thorne has who’s had 3 years of starting experience.

If you were a casual fan who didn’t know know anything about either team you would’ve thought the Maryland QB was the more experienced one and thought Thorne was the backup 

Your point still stands but give Billy his due.

He isn't a QB who had no reps in 2 years. He was the team leader in rushing TDs and was used all year like a young backup Tebow was as their RZ/Short yardage QB.

So passing experience not much, but being put into games in big moments he had experience.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:53 AM, TeamZero77 said:

Mentioned it earlier, Thorne plays flat and passionless and demonstrates zero leadership qualities. This guy can't be qb1.