Will we see more staff changes?

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Whats Interesting is the fact that Charles Kelly hasn't been officially introduced by AU. Weird all the way around 

It's not weird if you think Ron Roberts is leaving. Charles Kelly being hired in a role to be determined. DB coach if Roberts stays or DC if Roberts leaves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

no people are saying this is eerily like our previous coach. No one is saying retain a single person, instead get it right the first time so Auburn can stop shelling out unnecessary money for poor performance. 

If you are a crappy football coach then Auburn is the best job in the nation. Yet somehow, people think the fans are unreasonable. Unreasonable for wanting better(not perfect) no less. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There will be more coming. Coach Lac will either need to take an off the field position or move on, as we've heard before.  Great recruiter, great ambassador, not great as a coach.   I won't hold my breath for this change and if he goes, we better damn well have a home run hire to replace him

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

no people are saying this is eerily like our previous coach. No one is saying retain a single person, instead get it right the first time so Auburn can stop shelling out unnecessary money for poor performance. 

Sounds like a perfect world to me...you must not have read this thread. Comparing this staff to the last one is laughable! Plenty of posters are saying that Caddy has to be retained at all costs, because they just LOVE HIM! Sometimes you hire someone thinking that they can do the job, but realize after the fact that they can't! The worst mistake is to NOT make the change! NONE of you, including me, know all of the reasons that changes are being made. Maybe, just maybe, these coaches, that EVERYONE loves, aren't really doing the job that is expected or could they be part of the reason that players like Fairweather are talking about CULTURE problems within the program! It MAY also be that they want to explore OTHER opportunities? 

• Facepalm 2

14 minutes ago, LAtoAU said:

Sounds like a perfect world to me...you must not have read this thread. Comparing this staff to the last one is laughable! Plenty of posters are saying that Caddy has to be retained at all costs, because they just LOVE HIM! Sometimes you hire someone thinking that they can do the job, but realize after the fact that they can't! The worst mistake is to NOT make the change! NONE of you, including me, know all of the reasons that changes are being made. Maybe, just maybe, these coaches, that EVERYONE loves, aren't really doing the job that is expected or could they be part of the reason that players like Fairweather are talking about CULTURE problems within the program! It MAY also be that they want to explore OTHER opportunities? 

What staff? The OC just got fired . The DC might ask to get let go. Same record as harsin first year to the tee. The main difference is hugh recruiting at a high level. Either your bias or woefully ignorant to not even acknowledge that basic similarity. I am not even talking about Cadillac. That’s a whole different discussion.  That wasn’t even the point of the original discussion about harsin. My gosh. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Duder said:

There will be more coming. Coach Lac will either need to take an off the field position or move on, as we've heard before.  Great recruiter, great ambassador, not great as a coach.   I won't hold my breath for this change and if he goes, we better damn well have a home run hire to replace him

Yep been seeing rumors about that too. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAtoAU said:

To me the culture problem starts when a coach basically says in public that the players on the team aren’t good enough several times. Appreciate the candor but some things are better off not said. 

If Caddy is part of the culture problem that would be shocking. The running back room was one u didn’t have to worry about. Not sure what else was expected of him on the recruiting trail so skip that part.
 To date even though it was 4 games he had Auburn ready to play and that team had more flaws than this years team IMO.

Edited by e808
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, jknighton said:

Not connected, but I remember plenty of talk of Mason interviewing for other jobs immediately after the season. The large debate was whether it was because Harsin insinuated he should look elsewhere or Mason simply wanted out. I personally believe it was a mutual separation because Schmedding was named DC immediately after.

I did not remember Schmedding getting named immediately. I thought it was awhile as he didn’t think he was ready but that could have been the OC.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I did not remember Schmedding getting named immediately. I thought it was awhile as he didn’t think he was ready but that could have been the OC.

Yeah, that was Kiesau.

Edited by jknighton

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

It's not weird if you think Ron Roberts is leaving. Charles Kelly being hired in a role to be determined. DB coach if Roberts stays or DC if Roberts leaves.

Agreed. Just weird on timing. But, AU hasn't announced anything as of yet. 

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Agreed. Just weird on timing. But, AU hasn't announced anything as of yet. 

Montgomery is still listed as OC on the staff page. 

2 hours ago, Duder said:

This hurts a lot of people, but it’s on point. Great players don’t always equal great coaches. I would even question the recruiting portion of this post. I’m sure I will catch heat, but there are better options for the future of AU. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This hurts a lot of people, but it’s on point. Great players don’t always equal great coaches. I would even question the recruiting portion of this post. I’m sure I will catch heat, but there are better options for the future of AU. 

LOL…we have the dumbest fan base in  all of sports. They complain about everything, even when they are clueless! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

we have the dumbest fan base in  all of sports. 

Vol Nation would like to call a rebuttal witness or two, Your Honor. 

• Haha 3

On 1/5/2024 at 8:25 AM, bigbird said:

Unless he finds a better position for his career and chooses to take it.  It would be tough PR no matter though. 

AU has an ace PR machine. They sold the fan base on a HC with the sketchiest character possible and they did it in record time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm just saying the next OC won't be a big name guy that's calling the plays. Hugh needs to take over the offense 

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm just saying the next OC won't be a big name guy that's calling the plays. Hugh needs to take over the offense 

I agree. He needs to lean into his strengths for now…recruiting and Offensive playcalling in the Fall.

Settle up on Staff changes and get to work on next year.

7 hours ago, Duder said:

Something in your post doesn't add up.

Great recruiter - check

graeat ambassordor - check

not a great coach? - AU ranked 4th in the league in rushing. And that was behind a pieced together OL.

I think Cadillac is a very good coach.

Edited by creed
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, e808 said:

To me the culture problem starts when a coach basically says in public that the players on the team aren’t good enough several times. Appreciate the candor but some things are better off not said.

Exactly. Saying that in public is a bad look whether true or not. If CHF wants to tell them how bad they played, then do it when the team is going over the game film not immediately after the game in the presser. Coach 'em up, don't break 'em down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keesler said:

AU has an ace PR machine. They sold the fan base on a HC with the sketchiest character possible and they did it in record time. 

But Billy Graham was not available.😀  I guess you probably said the same thing when we hired Bruce Pearl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

But Billy Graham was not available.😀  I guess you probably said the same thing when we hired Bruce Pearl.

My apologies if my comment caused offense.  I don’t think one can honestly deny AU’s PR accomplishments weren’t first class when Cohen was tasked with selling the CHF hire to an ultra conservative fan base such as ourselves. 

When people start up with the not a good coach stuff, I always wonder why? It seems it's always the guy who has a great relationship with the players and best recruiter is always the guy whose coaching ability is questioned. The nerdy out of place looking guy that nobody really knows about is always the guy who get the wait and see stamp..... It's just weird to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The nerdy out of place looking guy that nobody really knows about is always the guy who get the wait and see stamp..... It's just weird to me

Just curious on who those coaches are?

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I fit that bill.  I guess I went the wrong way after college. 

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Trooper, Craig, Marcus Davis, lac, Kodi usually the football players