Men vs Florida Game Thread

1 hour ago, akillshot said:

Props to those of you who are trying to provide some reason to the road loss at Florida but it seems you are fighting a losing battle with some. Auburn is a good team with lots of pieces but at this point they are not great but no knows how the season will end. No one saw the final four run coming the year it happened.

One positive note from the game - Chaney Johnson had his best game of the season 9 points and 10 rebounds (3 offensive) in 19 minutes on the court

It was and all around bad shooting day for AU.  Every AU player was off.  We had big drop off in free throw shooting too.  UF did a great job defending in the paint and we couldn't hit the 3s to pull them out.  I played a lot of basketball, even some semi-pro and shooting 3's in an unfamiliar gym was always tougher than home court.  The lighting, spacing arrangement of the seats, and view behind the backboard throws you off.  

Good observation about Chaney Johnson, I was thinking the same thing.   He seems to be gaining quality play at both ends of the court.  He gives us some extra length too.  A few weeks ago he looked lost at times but now he looks more comfortable in the schemes.

• Like 5

All right we are moving on!!!! Potentially the biggest week of the regular season right here!!! 2 home games vs ranked teams and game day is once again coming to the plains on Saturday morning!!!! War eagle!!! Let’s get a home sweep of wins this week!!!!

• Like 7

This South Carolina game is so maaaaaaaj!!!!! I’m worried our fans and students won’t treat it as such because of the name across the Jersey and we are so used to South Carolina being absolutely awful in basketball the last few years. They are ranked 11th in the country in the AP or coaches poll I believe. They are tied with bama for first in the sec. Not sure on their computer rankings. I’m pretty sure this is a potential quad 1 game but not 💯.

Our fans need to treat this like a marquee game and like a bama or Kentucky are coming in to town. I really hope Bruce hammers home how big this game and this week is and about creating another raucous intimidating atmosphere is paramount at his presser today or tomorrow. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

That's a really big problem with our fans is many of them that want to complain and gripe for days after every loss, they never even knew Auburn had a basketball team before our 2019 Final Four run (I'm not talking about AUght2win or anyone in this thread). Football schools tend to have alot of fans that only follow football but they will start to casually pay attention to a sport if their team is having a good season. An example is Bammers with their basketball and softball, our fans with our basketball, baseball and softball, etc. The fans raise absolute hell over a loss but they can't tell you a single player or coaches name on the opposing team. They just see that "We're ranked higher than that other school but we lost. Complain, complain, complain."

With fans like that, you can show them stats going back decades that show winning a Natty in college basketball is the hardest championship to win or stats that say winning on the road in college basketball is the hardest road win of all the sports and that includes professional sports as well. I can't give a definate reason why it's so hard but the stats don't lie and this has been a thing for decades. 

Just this season, Kansas has been ranked #1 thru #4 most of the year. They have lost 3 straight road games now and fell to #6 in today's new poll. One of the losses was against unranked Kansas State for the 2nd year in a row.

Tennessee, who is one of the best SEC teams, lost at Mississippi State like Auburn did and they lost AT Texas A&M saturday night. Both MSU and TX A&M are unranked and Tennessee has been the top ranked SEC school all season. 

Alabama, who is tied for the SEC lead, lost by 20 at Knoxville and by 19 at Auburn and damn near lost at Mississippi State. Bama is ranked top 15 in the AP and has 7 losses.

Kentucky has lost 3 games in a row at home for the first time since 1966. They're ranked #22. 

Sometimes teams can win big on the road. We blew out Arkansas at their place, Vandy at their place and Ole Miss at their place. Btw, when we thumped Ole Miss in Oxford, it's their only home loss all season.

The top teams are not only losing on the road, they're getting blown out on the road when they lose. This isn't college football where you can almost guess who the playoff teams will be or how many games UGA, Bama, Ohio State will lose before the year begins. 

Before saturday's loss to Florida, we had 4 losses and all of those were by a few points and only about 5 teams nationwide could say that. Out of the top 25 AP poll, 19 teams have 5 or more losses. The only schools with less are Indiana State (who hasn't been ranked since Larry Bird left), Dayton, Houston, UConn, South Carolina and Purdue. 

Auburn is 19-5 and only South Carolina has less losses of the SEC schools that are ranked. They're 21-3. Tennessee has 6 losses, Bama and Kentucky have 7 losses. Coaches will always say the goal at the start of the year in conference play is to try to go undefeated at home and split your road games. We had done exactly that before the Florida loss. 

Our team this year is a good team. We fell from #12 to #13 after that loss saturday. Vegas still has us with the 5th or 6th best odds to win the National Title and that's from over 300+ schools. We have a really good team. Florida is big and they shutdown our inside game and made us shoot 3's and were were cold. It happens and in college basketball, it happens alot. Our 2019 season where we made a Final Four run, we lost 9 games in the regular season alone. We started 2-6 in conference play that year. We got red hot in the SEC Tourney and then knocked off Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky all in that order. Chuma Okeke tore his ACL in the UNC game but we still blew them out, then beat Kentucky and should've beaten Virginia who was the overall #1 seed. Go back and read the game threads from that year when we were losing alot in conference play. Half this forum was saying we wouldn't even make the tournament but we ended up Final Four. Not saying we will do that this season but I am saying we have a really good team and a very deep team. Maybe some fans should go watch more college basketball games and especially watch basketball games outside of JUST Auburn. Maybe that will open some eyes and get so many off the ledge.

IMG_7017.gif

7 hours ago, BizEagle said:

It was and all around bad shooting day for AU.  Every AU player was off.  We had big drop off in free throw shooting too.  UF did a great job defending in the paint and we couldn't hit the 3s to pull them out.  I played a lot of basketball, even some semi-pro and shooting 3's in an unfamiliar gym was always tougher than home court.  The lighting, spacing arrangement of the seats, and view behind the backboard throws you off.  

Good observation about Chaney Johnson, I was thinking the same thing.   He seems to be gaining quality play at both ends of the court.  He gives us some extra length too.  A few weeks ago he looked lost at times but now he looks more comfortable in the schemes.

Definitely still has some baby deer moments, but I think he’ll take a big leap next year. Athletically and on defense, he can be a Chuma-adjacent player, although obviously a few years behind schedule there

• Like 1

Ike from The popular AU podcast War Rapport is preaching here! A lot of folks in this thread need to hear this advice and heed it since no one wants to listen to us posters….

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

Showing my age, I was around when Mengelt vs Maravich (look it up) at Auburn was a thing, so don't give me shade about my long support of Auburn basketball.

Dictionary definition, a "road game" is any game played by a team at a venue that is not their home venue.

A "TRUE ROAD GAME" is defined as a game played at an opponent's venue.

Thus, tourney games are road games while games played on an opponent's court are "true road games."

Either way, fact is, Auburn just does not play well away from Neville Arena. Yes, we can win games at home. But the record away from home against Quad 1 teams sux.

We are going to find out if our Tigers can really stand up against the best in the SEC. We got USCe, Kentucky and Tennessee, with a rematch against Miss State.

As to games away from home (i.e., road games) ...... so far Auburn is not looking good. This just looks like another season of Auburn getting beat in the SEC tourney and the NCAA tourney. Seeding is irrelevant. The Tigers look to be limp on the road.

And if you have a different opinion, well, okay, you have a different opinion.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

That's a really big problem with our fans is many of them that want to complain and gripe for days after every loss, they never even knew Auburn had a basketball team before our 2019 Final Four run (I'm not talking about AUght2win or anyone in this thread). Football schools tend to have alot of fans that only follow football but they will start to casually pay attention to a sport if their team is having a good season. An example is Bammers with their basketball and softball, our fans with our basketball, baseball and softball, etc. The fans raise absolute hell over a loss but they can't tell you a single player or coaches name on the opposing team. They just see that "We're ranked higher than that other school but we lost. Complain, complain, complain."

With fans like that, you can show them stats going back decades that show winning a Natty in college basketball is the hardest championship to win or stats that say winning on the road in college basketball is the hardest road win of all the sports and that includes professional sports as well. I can't give a definate reason why it's so hard but the stats don't lie and this has been a thing for decades. 

Just this season, Kansas has been ranked #1 thru #4 most of the year. They have lost 3 straight road games now and fell to #6 in today's new poll. One of the losses was against unranked Kansas State for the 2nd year in a row.

Tennessee, who is one of the best SEC teams, lost at Mississippi State like Auburn did and they lost AT Texas A&M saturday night. Both MSU and TX A&M are unranked and Tennessee has been the top ranked SEC school all season. 

Alabama, who is tied for the SEC lead, lost by 20 at Knoxville and by 19 at Auburn and damn near lost at Mississippi State. Bama is ranked top 15 in the AP and has 7 losses.

Kentucky has lost 3 games in a row at home for the first time since 1966. They're ranked #22. 

Sometimes teams can win big on the road. We blew out Arkansas at their place, Vandy at their place and Ole Miss at their place. Btw, when we thumped Ole Miss in Oxford, it's their only home loss all season.

The top teams are not only losing on the road, they're getting blown out on the road when they lose. This isn't college football where you can almost guess who the playoff teams will be or how many games UGA, Bama, Ohio State will lose before the year begins. 

Before saturday's loss to Florida, we had 4 losses and all of those were by a few points and only about 5 teams nationwide could say that. Out of the top 25 AP poll, 19 teams have 5 or more losses. The only schools with less are Indiana State (who hasn't been ranked since Larry Bird left), Dayton, Houston, UConn, South Carolina and Purdue. 

Auburn is 19-5 and only South Carolina has less losses of the SEC schools that are ranked. They're 21-3. Tennessee has 6 losses, Bama and Kentucky have 7 losses. Coaches will always say the goal at the start of the year in conference play is to try to go undefeated at home and split your road games. We had done exactly that before the Florida loss. 

Our team this year is a good team. We fell from #12 to #13 after that loss saturday. Vegas still has us with the 5th or 6th best odds to win the National Title and that's from over 300+ schools. We have a really good team. Florida is big and they shutdown our inside game and made us shoot 3's and were were cold. It happens and in college basketball, it happens alot. Our 2019 season where we made a Final Four run, we lost 9 games in the regular season alone. We started 2-6 in conference play that year. We got red hot in the SEC Tourney and then knocked off Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky all in that order. Chuma Okeke tore his ACL in the UNC game but we still blew them out, then beat Kentucky and should've beaten Virginia who was the overall #1 seed. Go back and read the game threads from that year when we were losing alot in conference play. Half this forum was saying we wouldn't even make the tournament but we ended up Final Four. Not saying we will do that this season but I am saying we have a really good team and a very deep team. Maybe some fans should go watch more college basketball games and especially watch basketball games outside of JUST Auburn. Maybe that will open some eyes and get so many off the ledge.

Hang this in the Louvre!!! This is The most factual, accurate and just downright exceptional accurate advice I’ve ever seen after a loss!!! You said all the correct things  I was probaly trying to say but I'm not an exceptional wordsmith like you seem to be!!! 10/10 would recommend any AU fan to read this and execute this to a fuggin T!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hang this in the Louvre!!! This is The most factual, accurate and just downright exceptional accurate advice I’ve ever seen after a loss!!! You said all the correct things  I was probaly trying to say but I'm not an exceptional wordsmith like you seem to be!!! 10/10 would recommend any AU fan to read this and execute this to a fuggin T!!! 

Prime example . Kansas is getting waxed on the road at unranked Texas Tech. Road woes aren’t exclusive to Auburn. Just another example of how hard it is to win on the road versus a team with a pulse 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Prime example . Kansas is getting waxed on the road at unranked Texas Tech. Road woes aren’t exclusive to Auburn. Just another example of how hard it is to win on the road versus a team with a pulse 

• Love 1

They gave a stat at the end of the Kansas game where big 12 teams who were ranked in the top ten are now 3-10 on the road vs un ranked opponents.

• Like 3

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They gave a stat at the end of the Kansas game where big 12 teams who were ranked in the top ten are now 3-10 on the road vs un ranked opponents.

One thing that's changed alot and many casual fans can't grasp is that the SEC has REALLY stepped up their game in basketball. It used to just be Kentucky every year and then schools like Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida would have stretches where they could win the SEC Title and go to an Elite 8. Arkansas and Florida even won Natty's. Then we would have a really good year about once a decade or so and Mississippi State even made it to a Final Four. But it was always Kentucky then everybody else.

But now that several schools have gotten serious about basketball, Kentucky is usually about a 3rd or 4th place team in the SEC. Us, Bama and Tennessee have been better than Kentucky the past 4 to 6 years. Joe Lunardi that does the bracketology keeps saying the SEC and Big 12 will lead all conferences with tournament teams. Last I seen, both conferences are predicted to get 9 teams in. That's stout as hell for the SEC because Texas and Oklahoma don't come into the conference in basketball until next season so the SEC being predicted to have 9 of their 14 teams make the tourney this year is huge. With the exception of Vanderbilt, I think any team in this conference can win against the rest of the conference. But we will still have alot of fans dump on this team and Bruce after every loss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching Kansas get destroyed on the road was. refreshing. There really is no dominant team this season. It's not just us with road struggles. KU is 1-5 in conference  road games now. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That’s to be expected by an up and coming, never done anything before, Cinderella, no history, upstart, non blue blood,  inexperienced coach, no track record, can’t get the benefit of the doubt random program like Kansas …. But what has historic top 3 Auburn done with a hack like CBP in the last few minutes?????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That's a really big problem with our fans is many of them that want to complain and gripe for days after every loss, they never even knew Auburn had a basketball team before our 2019 Final Four run

I was an AU basketball fan long ago enough to remember getting excited watching the great, aforementioned John Mengelt play on the freshman team and seeing that we had something special coming.

The point is, if the entire SEC is losing road games at the rate of 60% and AU is also losing road games at the rate of 60%, then we are simply an ordinary team. I think all of us here were hoping to have an exceptional team but so far we are only ordinary. We are right in step with all the rest of the conference. We fans were hoping for above average but so far we're only average.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, JuscAUse! said:

Also, have you ever been at the foul line with a bunch of folks yelling at you to miss? Have you always been a huge basketball fan? Not that it matters one way or the other. I'm just curious. 

When you are an athlete, you focus on the task at hand. The crowd is there, but they are white noise. The only time they are noticed is when they interrupt communication.

I have found the biggest issue with shooting FTs is conditioning and muscle memory. I've seen guys hit a lot of FTs in a row while relaxed. Those same guys can't hit the rim with their heart pounding out of their chest.

That sound is louder than any crowd.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

This is what I tried to explain to the fans you are referring to who only watch AU play, or they just read the boxscores & see where we were ranked & how bad we were outscored, etc.  I call these fans rah rah fans & we have a bunch of them on this site.   Whatever level you are playing on (College, Pro, Church League, High School)  there is going to come a game where your team just can't hit an ox in the butt with the bball & the opposing team just can't miss for some reason.  It has nothing to do with effort or desire or execution.   We had a bunch of wide open looks against UF, both 3's & 2's and just could not make the shots. This is 100% going to happen in bball, and you can't explain it.  You just hope you are the team making everything you throw at the goal, and not the other team.  We did not look good shooting at Turdtown, but then 2 weeks later we score 99, and could easily have hit triple digits.  I will be totally shocked, if we don't put up a bunch of points on S.C. Wed. night.  As far as trying to get the rah rah fans off the ledge; Good luck with that.

r

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

When you are an athlete, you focus on the task at hand. The crowd is there, but they are white noise. The only time they are noticed is when they interrupt communication.

I have found the biggest issue with shooting FTs is conditioning and muscle memory. I've seen guys hit a lot of FTs in a row while relaxed. Those same guys can't hit the rim with their heart pounding out of their chest.

That sound is louder than any crowd.

Fair point. The refs admit that the crowds get to them at times. It depends on the individual players focus and mental toughness I guess.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

This is what I tried to explain to the fans you are referring to who only watch AU play, or they just read the boxscores & see where we were ranked & how bad we were outscored, etc.  I call these fans rah rah fans & we have a bunch of them on this site.   Whatever level you are playing on (College, Pro, Church League, High School)  there is going to come a game where your team just can't hit an ox in the butt with the bball & the opposing team just can't miss for some reason.  It has nothing to do with effort or desire or execution.   We had a bunch of wide open looks against UF, both 3's & 2's and just could not make the shots. This is 100% going to happen in bball, and you can't explain it.  You just hope you are the team making everything you throw at the goal, and not the other team.  We did not look good shooting at Turdtown, but then 2 weeks later we score 99, and could easily have hit triple digits.  I will be totally shocked, if we don't put up a bunch of points on S.C. Wed. night.  As far as trying to get the rah rah fans off the ledge; Good luck with that.

r

Shooting is really something else. These guys have their form baked into their muscle memory a lot more than I do, but I always love when I come in to play pickup or just shoot around, and I can miss like 20-30 shots, and then something just clicks. Form, my rhythm, the way the ball feels, who knows. But it is something else  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

It has nothing to do with effort or desire or execution.

On the other hand, I would say that rebounding, turnovers and defense have everything to do with desire and execution. There can be no question that our rebounding at key times, turnovers and our defense was much better vs. bammer last Wednesday than it was at UF.

• Like 1

That is correct Mikey.  You also have to know that when you are out there running your butt off, defending like crazy, rebounding  and all the other aspects of the game, that when you shoot time after time and you see the ball not go in time after time.  You look up at the scoreboard & you have scored 4 points in 8 minutes of play (pathetic I know) it affects every other aspect of your game, it deflates you, and you press every time you bring the ball down on offense..

This is one of those games you flush, you don't watch the game again, and you try to recapture that excellent level of play that you had before this game.

Syracuse lost by 36 AT unc….