Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

http://www.al.com/au..._marsha_14.html

Auburn starting quarterback Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas, Tigers coach Gus Malzahn announced after the first practice of training camp on Friday, although the senior will play in Auburn's season-opener.

And mincy

http://www.al.com/au...thon_min_3.html

Auburn senior cornerback Jonathon Mincy will not start the Tigers' season-opener against Arkansas as part of his punishment for a June arrest, Tigers' coach Gus Malzahn announced after the first practice of the season Friday. Mincy will play against the Razorbacks, and Malzahn made it clear the punishment will not affect Mincy's place in the lineup.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider this fair. Glad Gus made it clear these things won't go unpunished.

I consider this fair. Glad Gus made it clear these things won't go unpunished.

this ^^^

I do hope we still continue to prepare as if he is starting. Its the preseason snaps that he would lose that could impact the offensive development. I still get frustrated at dopers and what they put on the line to get high. Hopefully he learns from it and maybe others do as well. I just doubt they will.

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

Neither will Kozan...or any games this season for that matter

Isn't that the bees knees?

What? Not sure what you are saying about Kozan. As far as I know, it has not been determined if he will or will not play this year.

Neither will Kozan...or any games this season for that matter

Isn't that the bees knees?

What? Not sure what you are saying about Kozan. As far as I know, it has not been determined if he will or will not play this year.

Gus stated in his presser today.

Good action, as much as I hate answering my son on why Marshall won't be starting.

Might be easier than answering...... "why is he starting"? This is a good teaching moment as they say.

I am glad to see some type of punishment. I was thinking a whole game but if it is a half then great. Something needed to be done to set an example. I know it was snot necessary but IMO t was needed. Good job Gus.

I have faith in Gus, whatever he decides. For those wanting more, try to remember they were guilty of doing what thousands of kids their age do everyday. It might be illegal ( but not in all states) but it is still done by a lot of folks their age, just like drinking and other things. Was it a good move ? No. But all those others out their never have to stand and be punished and talked down to by thousands of "so called adults" because they don't play D1 football. Gus needs to do what he thinks is best for the team, but I can assure you if it was up to him none of you would know anything about punishment handed out to the players for their short falls. It might not be drugs but I bet I could find something on each one here that they would be embarrassed from their younger years. WDE

Clear that they will play in the game; my presumption is that they both will sit the first half.

Agree. Possibly play the 1st half depending on how the offense is doing. JJ is going to need to get off to a fast start.

Clear that they will play in the game; my presumption is that they both will sit the first half.

Agree. Possibly play the 1st half depending on how the offense is doing. JJ is going to need to get off to a fast start.

If JJ is doing a good job, Marshall may only get some package plays and JJ run the show for the majority of the game. It would be good experience for JJ bt if close at halftime, I expect Marshall to be the leader the second half.

Now Arkansas must prepare for two QBs haha. Nick will sit for like a quarter, maybe a half. Fair but predictable punishment. We will still win by 30.

If JJ is doing a good job, Marshall may only get some package plays and JJ run the show for the majority of the game. It would be good experience for JJ bt if close at halftime, I expect Marshall to be the leader the second half.

Even if JJ does good I think Marshall will still take the majority of snaps. The coaches will probably want to get the offense in rhythm early in the season since we'll have to play a good team by game 3.

Even if JJ does good I think Marshall will still take the majority of snaps. The coaches will probably want to get the offense in rhythm early in the season since we'll have to play a good team by game 3.

Agree and i hope so. I know there has been a lot of talk of JJ and "NFL QB" etc. I think JJ will be good but I want the QB that led us to the NC game to play as soon as Gus feels he has served is punishment. It's no knock on JJ but I know what Nick can do and he's our leader. JJ will get his reps this year but we have a golden opportunity to get back to the NC game and if we're going to get there a big part of it will be b/c of Nick. We're going to be losing alot of players after the season and JJ will get to show what he's really made of in 2015.

So, will this be a Reggie Slack , under centre, taking a quick knee, then giving way to Jeff Berger sort of non-start punishment ?

Archived