***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

I realize, just saying that for as many Hurts there are there are many many more Brandon Harris'.   We should have learned to not put all our eggs in 1 basket.   

4 hours ago, lala said:

I realize, just saying that for as many Hurts there are there are many many more Brandon Harris'.   We should have learned to not put all our eggs in 1 basket.   

Harris was not a 5*  QB. Also the staff wrongly thought JJ was gold and a then healthy Queen was already committed for the 2015 class so they didn't see the need to take 2 QBs in the 2014 class.

It really does seem like our recent quarterback struggles have been due some crazy one-off or anomaly scenario.  JJ and Queen BOTH have issues?  White's actually done a pretty good job overall, but I don't know that the staff initially viewed him as elite...more of a late-developing project.  It's just been a perfect storm of conditions you can't anticipate.

E, the response to my comment is what is frustrating, btw I agree with you.  We should be recruiting QB such that that guy coming in has the talent level to take over if our Golden Goose, JJ, lays an egg.  That way you have enough in the system to plug in case you have a dud, injury, etc...without the inconsistency we've experienced..  Instead it is as though we were recruiting QB's with the mindset that will not be expected to play until possibly yr 3. 

We better get Stidham or Mond in this class or it will be the same thing all over again. Note i am not saying Mond would be able to step in day one and take over but he would be a Hurts/Eason type where you can see the future is promising.   Also, not bashing Bishop but he seems to be a similar guy as TQ, SW & WB in that these are not guys that could realistically compete for a couple yrs at the earliest.  We need studs, backing up studs, with studs coming in.  I know it is easier said than done but something needs to change. 

Don't QB's typically commit earlier than later? 

1 hour ago, lala said:

Depends on the QB and how good they are. The best know that a school will make room for them.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Be interesting to see if we surpass the Rueben Foster thread page number here. I see it happening if Stidham does not sign with us. :popcorn:

Seastrunk has the record if we include AE  days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lala said:

Most do as they are expected to be the center piece to each year' recruiting class.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Hey @ellitor.  I see some people on here calling for Stidham to commit.  Since he's at a JuCo, can he actually commit or does he need to graduate first.

Any recruit can commit at any time before they graduate whether that be high school or juco. Think back to the jucos that came to AU. They all committed before graduating juco.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Any recruit can commit at any time before they graduate whether that be high school or juco. Think back to the jucos that came to AU. They all committed before graduating juco.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked, especially when he wasn't on a team. 

Having A Briles or K Briles would put a much needed spark back into or offense. But if no change is made, 2017 will be another long and painful season we watch UAT keep right on winning.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked, especially when he wasn't on a team. 

Here's another angle of thought that leads to the same answer: A commitment is not official to anybody. A kid can commit to 50 schools at once if he wants to, NCAA wise it means nothing. To them a "commitment" doesn't exist. Therefore, there are no rules concerning commitment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here's another angle of thought that leads to the same answer: A commitment is not official to anybody. A kid can commit to 50 schools at once if he wants to, NCAA wise it means nothing. To them a "commitment" doesn't exist. Therefore, there are no rules concerning commitment.

Yea... I guess I was thinking that once a kid goes to another college level school, "committing" to another school indicates leaving the first, which could be an issue... In all truth, I have so much on my plate today that I should be thinking about that and not this, but chatting football with my fellow Tigers helps keep me sane.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope he will sign with Auburn of we can get one of the Briles on our staff.

I really hope that is not what it is contingent on. I want him to come regardless even if Rhett sticks around if Gus is still the coach.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really hope that is not what it is contingent on. I want him to come regardless even if Rhett sticks around if Gus is still the coach.

It likely is contingent that a Briles be on staff. He will follow a Briles somewhere IMO.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

It likely is contingent that a Briles be on staff. He will follow a Briles somewhere IMO.

I prefer kids that want to come to Auburn because of Auburn. "Don't pick a school because of the coach, pick a school because of the school." How many times have we heard that?

Now, it's entirely possible that this kid may follow one or the other Briles somewhere but if that's the case then I'm not sure how much we'd have lost. Does he jump again if Coach moves on after one year? Not arguing with you, I just don't prefer kids that come here because of a coach rather than because of the school.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I prefer kids that want to come to Auburn because of Auburn. "Don't pick a school because of the coach, pick a school because of the school." How many times have we heard that?

Now, it's entirely possible that this kid may follow one or the other Briles somewhere but if that's the case then I'm not sure how much we'd have lost. Does he jump again if Coach moves on after one year? Not arguing with you, I just don't prefer kids that come here because of a coach rather than because of the school.

If he comes to AU and wins the job I don't see him jumping anywhere but the NFL. He will have convinced his GF to transfer too. I don't see him leaving her behind to go to another school. Besides he would not be able to play again til his RS Sr year so there is really no point to transfer to a third D 1 school.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

If he comes to AU and wins the job I don't see him jumping anywhere but the NFL. He will have convinced his GF to transfer too. I don't see him leaving her behind to go to another school. Besides he would not be able to play again til his RS Sr year so there is really no point to transfer to a third D 1 school.

As good looking as she is he would be crazy to....mama mia:timeout:

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

As good looking as she is he would be crazy to....mama mia:timeout:

Where does she go to school? If Baylor, he probably won't consider going back there.