***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

21 hours ago, im4au said:

Barnett exposed a little known loophole in the 4-2-4 rule.  He'll be able to play during the fourth week of the season in 2017 by transferring to a two-year school, meeting some easy academic requirements, and returning to a four-year school.  He could practice next year during the mostly non-conference games and play when the conference gets serious.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/former-tide-qb-blake-barnett-could-play-next-season-via-ncaa-loophole/1vescj981x9921f1dagflqx53a

He really didn't expose it. Compliance officers have known about it for a long time. And if ain't cut and dry it will turn out the way Barrett thinks it will. If you ask 10 different compliance officers about the rule the will give you 10 different interpretations.

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I hope the kid found a loophole and it works for him ... then tells the NCAA and hypocrite coaches where to stick it.

I don't know if they were Hypocrites with him. I'm not sure that they promised him a starting job as a true freshman

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't know if they were Hypocrites with him. I'm not sure that they promised him a starting job as a true freshman

I took it that he's calling the coaching profession in general hypocrites. Some people resent coaches being able to jump ship at a moment's notice while the NCAA athletes have transfer rules.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I took it that he's calling the coaching profession in general hypocrites. Some people resent coaches being able to jump ship at a moment's notice while the NCAA athletes have transfer rules.

Agree...coaches come in....attract a handful of HS kids who specially want/expect to play for them...and depart after a year or two leaving the HS player(s) with coaches they don't know.   Many of Auburn's  defensive player have been through that merry-go-round to their detriment.

Hope the Barnett thing works out for him.  Looks to me that the only reason this kid from California or wherever came to bama was to play football and no sense holding him captive. . .I'm not looking for free agency among college players but there should be some loosening of the rules on transfers...JMO

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agreed. It's a flawed system.

Players experience that early on. HS coaching staffs are some of the most fluid groups I know.  Coaches come and go. Sometimes on there own and sometimes not. For the most part, players are used to it and see it as a business. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, that was my sentiment.

I am glad that the grad transfer situation improved in the last few years.  It has provided some opportunities for kids who have gotten their undergrad degree to be "rewarded" with an opportunity to look around at places to play their last year.  I have no ideas how to improve the transfer rules, but surely something can be done.

I would like to allow kids to transfer at end of Freshmen year if Head coach, their position coach leaves, or their coordinator leaves (if Defensive player if D coordinator leaves if Offensive Player if O coordinator leaves). No strings attached any school and no 1 year sitting. Won't happen but a kid coming out of HS should realistically expect to have same coaches for at least 2 years.

This kid is the difference in next year being a good year and a great year. We need him badly. IDC how he gets here just get him here. Looking at next years crop of SEC Qbs he would honestly be the best in the SEC as soon as he hit campus honestly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This kid is the difference in next year being a good year and a great year. We need him badly. IDC how he gets here just get him here. Looking at next years crop of SEC Qbs he would honestly be the best in the SEC as soon as he hit campus honestly.

HS is a different deal usually....kids go to school where they live and not because who the coaches are...though we are seeing more recruiting in HS now.  But there has to be a better system in college but as long as the coaches make the rules and are beneficiaries of the present set of rules,  there is not likely to be a change.  

The hypocrisy is all the talk about "doing what's best for the kid" ...which for the most part is just BS. ...JMO   more likely the kid is third in the hierarchy of coach, school and then student.

On October 2, 2016 at 0:13 PM, aujeff11 said:

That's a dumb statement. They would have to go juco and do all that crap just to get to the next designation.

They still can

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

They still can

Yeah I noted that further down the thread and I'm sure you knew that. Still, the recruits cannot transfer out as easy as the departing coach that wooed them there to begin with. Which mostly discourages the recruits from transferring out. 

• Like 2

if you're on the math team or some other non athletic club you can transfer and be able to be in those.  If they want the athletes to be the same as the student body then the transfer rules should be exactly as they are.

How about just change it to the opposite, coaches, administrators, NCAA staff if they change jobs or even change positions in the NCAA's case if they move physically their location then they have to sit out a year without pay... bet we could reduce the sky rocketing coaching salaries and get away from these huge buyouts.  

However, with that being said it would stink for a "Free Agent" market to really get going in college.  

I've seen a mini version with my sons and travel baseball.  It's like free agency every year.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 9:30 AM, aucanucktiger said:

Seriously though, having eras of Stidham then Gatewood running K. Briles' offense would be interesting to say the least.

Woody Barrett figures to be part of that mix, too, I would think. He'll be a year behind Stidham (presuming he does keep his redshirt on this year), and two ahead of Gatewood (so long as Gatewood redshirts). Considering how well JS responded to Kendal Briles, I could definitely see him only staying for two years, leaving two for Barrett and two for Gatewood, but these kinds of things rarely work out right. If they did, Jeremy would be the starter right now, and Sean would be staring down a battle with Woody for the starting job next year...and Cam Newton would have been starter in 2011, giving Kiehl Frazier time to redshirt and acclimate...and so on.

Thus, for right now, I'm happy we have a QB who is managing the game well, and I'm even happier that we have a couple on the horizon who could take the offense to the next level.

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Woody Barrett figures to be part of that mix, too, I would think. He'll be a year behind Stidham (presuming he does keep his redshirt on this year), and two ahead of Gatewood (so long as Gatewood redshirts). Considering how well JS responded to Kendal Briles, I could definitely see him only staying for two years, leaving two for Barrett and two for Gatewood, but these kinds of things rarely work out right. If they did, Jeremy would be the starter right now, and Sean would be staring down a battle with Woody for the starting job next year...and Cam Newton would have been starter in 2011, giving Kiehl Frazier time to redshirt and acclimate...and so on.

Thus, for right now, I'm happy we have a QB who is managing the game well, and I'm even happier that we have a couple on the horizon who could take the offense to the next level.

If we hire KB or any Briles, then JS transfers in I would bet Sean and possibly jf3 both transfer and couldn't blame them. I don't know if Sean is near graduation but if not they would both probably go down a division..

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

If we hire KB or any Briles, then JS transfers in I would bet Sean and possibly jf3 both transfer and couldn't blame them. I don't know if Sean is near graduation but if not they would both probably go down a division..

I just don't know. I think Sean would probably stay for another year and then go as a graduate transfer (I'm guessing he doesn't have the time to take enough classes that he could graduate in three years); and JF3 is already talking about being willing to help the team at another position, so I could see him sticking around simply as a way to show his speed and athleticism to NFL scouts on center stage, rather than going to a side show just to play QB.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

if you're on the math team or some other non athletic club you can transfer and be able to be in those.  If they want the athletes to be the same as the student body then the transfer rules should be exactly as they are.

How about just change it to the opposite, coaches, administrators, NCAA staff if they change jobs or even change positions in the NCAA's case if they move physically their location then they have to sit out a year without pay... bet we could reduce the sky rocketing coaching salaries and get away from these huge buyouts.  

However, with that being said it would stink for a "Free Agent" market to really get going in college.  

I've seen a mini version with my sons and travel baseball.  It's like free agency every year.

Man that is a fantastic idea.....never have a snowball's chance of getting approved but it's the kind of thing that really puts the issue in perspective.....thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Unless he already has his undergraduate degree or transferred to an FCS school he cannot transfer as a senior.

Edited by ellitor

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

that is what i said. i think.

My bad. Just clarifying for the rest of the board.

• Like 1

My guess is that if we get AB for a couple of years that we will be set at QB for several years to come. The ones named above will not be the only ones in the mix. I'm betting as long as Briles is at AU we get some additional names that are not even on the radar right now. I am really confused right now on the whole Gatewood situation. I don't know if the change of positions means he isn't what we thought he would be or if it means that school is just loaded with 5* talent at QB.  

42 minutes ago, bg5 said:

My guess is that if we get AB for a couple of years that we will be set at QB for several years to come. The ones named above will not be the only ones in the mix. I'm betting as long as Briles is at AU we get some additional names that are not even on the radar right now. I am really confused right now on the whole Gatewood situation. I don't know if the change of positions means he isn't what we thought he would be or if it means that school is just loaded with 5* talent at QB.  

The other QBs are not 5 star Talent. But they are college Talent. Joey is the only one of the three that can play other positions. However, Joey is frustrated about not getting more snaps at QB. I think he will transfer somewhere next year.

This also should not be overlooked. Jimbo Fisher at FSU had and still has Joey as the number one QB recruit in the 2018 class fwiw. We all know how well he has evaluated and developed QB Talent in the past.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

I am surprised someone hasn't already posted this along with how the ship is sinking...  link

Texas A&M doesn’t have many options at quarterback behind Trevor Knight, who is in his final year of eligibility.

Could that be changing soon?

Jarrett Stidham, the former Baylor quarterback who is still evaluating transfer options, was in the stands Kyle Field last Saturday for Texas A&M’s thrilling overtime win against Tennessee.  The No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the 2015 recruiting class per 247Sports composite rankings, Stidham announced his departure from Baylor in July.

He will be able to play immediately in 2017, with three years of eligibility still to his name.  Stidham played in 10 games with three starts before suffering a broken ankle late last season, going 75-of-109 f or 1,265 yards, 12 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

The only backup quarterback listed on the Aggies’ depth chart is junior Jake Hubenak, who was mildly effective last season. Dual-threat quarterback Kellen Mond, a four-star prospect, is currently committed to Texas A&M.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Stidham has made a few visits to Auburn, but it doesn’t appear like he’s close to making a decision while spending a semester away from football in junior  college. It’s merely speculation at this point, but the Aggies did pursue Stidham during his high-school recruitment.